Search results for query: *

1. Jazzwind

Patron Saint...of Peasants???

My Honor is indeed quite high.  I reset the percentages of villages being overrun by bandits (and set the profitability loss to ...I think, 0, when a village is overrun).  See, when I'm first leveling, I like to fight bandits.  LOTS and LOTS of bandits, but having to run them down is rather quite annoying...so...I just "bait" them into one place by changing the chance for bandits to spawn in a village to like...80%, LOL.  I also increase the amounts which spawn from 1.2 to 1.8 or even 2.0, which then gives me and my companions something wonderful to do for literally hours (I really don't mind the repetition, as I use that time to practice things like chamber blocking, etc.  After all - Povtereniye Mat' Ucheniye (Repetition is Mother of Learning).

Oh, the Honor.  I don't accept the rewards, of course, since there's usually nothing there TO accept.  That leads to the excessively high Honor, and as a very nice side note, many many lords just crawling all over themselves to be my friend.  Relations 100 with people I've never even met is a rather nice side bonus.
  2. Jazzwind

Patron Saint...of Peasants???

Ok, so I'm now a living Saint.  Of the Peasants.  What does this mean, to me? Is this why I now have the option to stay as an honored guest (and still have to pay for it)?
  3. Jazzwind

Tournaments: Not a trial of skill but who the luckiest is.

Only a slight Necro - but such good info in here folks might not otherwise see. 

My last Tourney, javelins - Only.  Which sucked, but ok.  Solution? Grab a weapon.  Problem?  Last round.  Me & him.  We closed and I thought I still had a weapon.  HAHAHAHA.  Silly me.  No weapon.  Just this shield.  I realized by the sound.  Why is it making THAT sound?  Wait?  Which button??  Oh block block block.  Can't look.  Eyes on the screen.  But.  Hey. I'm doing DAMAGE?? 4 a hit, but dang, it's fast hits.  Screw it.  Old fashioned beating, here we come.

Result?  You guessed it.  Or, maybe you didn't.  I WON!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Moral?  Don't give up.  You just might win, anyways. 
  4. Jazzwind

Spear Overhaul (overhand + underhand attack animations, stat changes)

Loaded this up, tried it out.  Love the ability to over hand.  Damage, though, was so pew pew that I wondered if I were doing it wrong.  Jacked the damage up on the spear to 65 - still pew pew.  Put it back to 38, jacked the pole arm skill up to 200.  Totes Def no pew pew no more.  So it's just time and practice to have a reliable kill stick, like anything else, I guess. 

Love this.  So much I recommended to the guys building the new Ancient Greek mod, soon to be released.  Spear overhand in a shield wall - such pleasure in the correctness. 

Thanks so much.
  5. Jazzwind

Trading and Enterprises Tips v1.2

I did the Bard thing in Phantasy Calradia and was astounded I could get such reknown in so little time. I should try that here, perhaps would help w Morale issue w larger armies.  I found the mineral and stones quite useful, and have made it a habit of checking every village in said areas of Wales.  20 for silver - can't beat a 400 profit.  I will check the deer hunting out, as well.  I know Hides sell for over 600 in York, and am always looking for those.  I cheated my Trade to 10 to see how that affected my "Assess the local trade" option. Wow.  I'd not ever gone above 4 or so, not wanting to dump all those points into Trade, which never seemed to work in (most) mods.  This thread has changed my mind.  Very much appreciate the time spent into this aspect of the game.  I'd open a Dark Ages Walmart if I could. 

Appreciate the responses, always.  I tried playing the Mercantile Mod, too complicated for my aged self.  This, though, I can get into. 
  6. Jazzwind

Trading and Enterprises Tips v1.2

So now in Nov, 2014, none of this really applies anymore, except bandit hunting?
  7. Jazzwind

[WB][S] Fires of War, A Greco-Persian War mod, old thread, kept for history

Indeed it is, but not just for historical correctness.  It's more to do with the Native engine and how it deals with spears in combat, that is to say...it sucks.  Mightily.  Not on horseback (as that person mentioned, it does "ok" when mounted).  But the majority of this fighting will likely be afoot (bye bye Swadian Knight swarm tactics), and if this mod is what I believe it will be, that will mean formation fighting - and this is where it will be very important. 

If this mod is just street brawls with men all over the field, none of this will matter in the least.  The soldiers will just pokey-poke each other slowly to death.  If however, this is going to be formation fighting, well then the animations will matter a great deal, as the collision detection will kick in and you're either going to have a shield wall and...stand there, or there won't be a shield wall, just a shield brawl. 

Pelloponesian Wars mod, that did a great job with the animations of over-hand spear wielding.  A great job enough to stand out in many forums as a primary sale point (the "OMG THEY GOT THE SPEARS RIGHT!!!" sort of thing).  More importantly - people loved it.  Comments I remember were along the olines of "spear fighting done right", and "can be a Hoplite now".  It was the animations that did it.  Again - please, don't delay the mod for this, as I'm selfishly very enthusiastic to play it, LOL.
  8. Jazzwind

Herodotus is a great introduction, but for good, in depth reading, one should move directly to Thucydides.  His writings will serve as exceptionally illuminating on ancient warfare. 
  9. Jazzwind

There are some mods with varied animations, tied to a key (like X or Q).  Phantasy Calradia comes to mind.  Please don't delay the mod over it, though.  Maybe in an update.

As for the use of the spear, I perhaps caused some confusion by not illuminating more about the shield part.  I'm not at all incorrect, having done years of research on this very subject - and that might be where I err, in skipping ahead to a main point without proper explanation. 

Shields largely decide the technique.  Actually they totally decide it, tbh.  Pikemen used much smaller shields, so they could make a pike wall.  Defense came from distance, vice coverage.  Hoplites used a much larger shield, designed to overlap one another and "lock", thus creating a shield wall. 

Pike Walls used spears of up to 16 feet in length.  Shield walls used 8 foot spears, pointed at both ends to allow the stabbing of downed soldiers using the butt of the weapon. The butt was also weighted to give more momentum (thus more energy transfered through the spike), and to aid in balancing the weapon. 

There is no under-hand technique in a shield wall.  It simply doesn't exist, as one cannot pass a spear through a shield.  There is a rank command to allow for a strike to occur After a wall is opened, left arm extends, and then an under hand stab - but that's no longer a shield wall.  That's the only way it can happen in a formation. 

The pictures on the vases are nice, but are not relevant.  That's a single soldier on a battlefield who, since is out of formation, can use any style he wants.  There exist many, many sources for information on all of this, even more so now in this age of interwebs than I had available when I was studying all this 40 years ago.  Much information, I encourage folks to read the greats and learn. 
  10. Jazzwind

Antonis said:
    Thanks for the kind words, I and the team appreciate it! :smile:
    As for swords, I made a new animation(which I will work on further) for the overhead polearm(spear) that is typical of the hoplites. Thing is it goes for Persians as well, and I am not happy about it, because I don't know if they used the same technique. :???:

Nearly all fighting of that period utilized the same over-hand techniques for use with shields.  Usage of that  "over hand" technique persisted (though not exclusively) - it started to - very slowly - change again as shields changed designs, as in the Roman Army 350 - 400 a.d.) persisted until shields were fairly well gone due to gunpowder.  Even the Middle Ages / Dark Ages Saxons, Angles, Danes, Nords, etc., all used over-hand techniques during the shield wall matches.  Only the Romans tried to do something uniquely different through the implementation of the gladius - but even that wasn't totally unique, as they'd stolen the idea from the Iberian tribesmen. 

One very odd twist were the Chinese, who modified their spears / pole-arms  to be used from underneath a shield, in order to maim enemy soldiers' legs, thereby reducing their ability to react through the loss of mobility.  The end of the spear had a traditional point, complimented by a knifed-edge, facing towards the wielder.  This allowed a push-pull technique (shield up, push, pull, maim, wash rinse repeat).  Very nasty.  Great example is shown in John Woo's "Red Cliff" (in both versions), as well as is explained in detail in a couple of very nice museums in Beijing.

Back to topic before that table-destroying guy gets angry. 
  11. Jazzwind

Very excited for this mod - period of history that was crucial to who we are, now.  Happy you all have dedicated time and effort to educate and inspire others. Marks of world builders. 

Native has issues w spear action, & I ran across a mod that actually played well w spear and shield.  Conquest? Blood and Steel?  How did you deal w spear & shield fighting in this mod?
  12. Jazzwind

Cleric Characters: What can they do?

I read somewhere on this board - oh, in the troop trees - that Drow females could become clerics, however when recruiting, I only ever see males.  Why is this?
  13. Jazzwind

Imprisoning all Lords

Anyone ever tried this, just for grins? Capturing all lords of a faction, even the King, and then not ransoming any of them?  If you're a vassal, peace would screw that, of course, however if you're the King - and held all Lords of your opponent's faction - would that faction just tumble all...
  14. Jazzwind

Question on companions and the usage of their weapon.

Spears or Awl Pikes.  Best types you can luck into for those two (balanced, etc).
    One handed.  Use blunts if you're really a micromanager. 
    Shield.  Steel is best.  Shield Proficiency, as well.  Funny, but I gave that to one guy, and the higher the proficiency, the more he began to look like an angry porcupine after each battle. 

Spears or Awls, because they are faster, AND, not useless after a charge.  Use the Blunt Only Command if you're nervous.  Me, I'm not nervous.  These majooks can stand their own just fine after they are on armored horses.  Armored horses, Steel Shields, a ton of PS - they can handle 1:5 - 1:10 odds.  IF they all go unconscious - I call the Cavalry and unleash hell. Get a beer, have a smoke, come back and click "continue".  Jeremus stays with me.  I seldom fight.  If I do - Dr. J stays in the farthest corner of the map. 

Early on I found outfitting them with Light Crossbows the first 15-20 levels (vice the Pole Arm) was a fantastic way to get them set up for siege work layer on.  Can fire from horseback.  Can get away from danger.  Perfect. 

I keep all their x-bows and ammo on me.  Switch out Pole arms for sieges. 

My Commando Squad rocks. 
  15. Jazzwind

Ruling all of Calradia

tzlop said:
    Make an women only army and continue to rule all of Calradia.  One man to rule them all, the alpha male.

Did that.  Terrible idea.  Should have thought ahead.  Know that one or two sounds of screeching women in battle?  Multiply that by 80. AFTER spending all that time rescuing peasant women.

:???:
  16. Jazzwind

Companions to Lords - Couple Questions

After some testing

There is an algorithm for "Companion Lords".  15 renown per level, when you ask them to become a lord. 
    Level 20 - 300.  Level 30 - 450. 

For Leadership, the AI seems to ignore whatever skill is there.  Rolf is running around quite happy with an army of 400 Sea Raiders, and Matheld has 300 Huscarls.  Yes, these are used through the cheat mode to test the system and see if there was a ceiling, and if top tier troops made a difference in the ceiling.

No ceiling I've found.  Tier makes no difference.  This is with no mods, so it would seem basic to any mods done - explaining why Mr Bad Guy in Pelinnor was always chasing me around with a 1,200 man army.  You could give a Lord troops just as easily and have the same thing on your side.

In short - Renown seems meaningless to your AI lords.  Just decoration. 

17. Jazzwind

But none for beating looters, bandits and raiders, whilst on patrol, then?
  18. Jazzwind

At What Level (Companion's) do you typically ask them to take their first feif? Do your Companion Vassals gain renown once they are on their own?  I've been keen on watching Rolf's progress.  He began with 465 renown, and as I am not at war, has been just killing off Sea Raiders and such.  He...
Back
Top Bottom