Search results for query: *

1. Slings

I'm laughing when I consider how many times that Englishman has been linked to on the this board. I'll bet he'd enjoy Brytenwalda :lol:
  2. Holidays/ Payment

I really dig your holiday idea. It sounds like it would be great for immersion.
  3. Ship help

While we're on the topic (and although I'm not the first to suggest this), I still think 25k is a bit steep for a ship. Hell, if you had 200 men you could just BUILD a ship. But I think that would break the game a bit so I wouldn't recommend it (save it for Viking expansion maybe?  :mrgreen:). It's just that 25k is enough to buy, what, 20 acres of land? I recommend 15 or maybe 20k. 25 is too much in my opinion, but 10k would make it waaaay too easy to get a ship.
  4. A simple idea for improving spears in 1.40

Tiberius said:
    Seconding this. A mode for close range would help a lot in making spears useful. I usually have to use it with two hands and no shield because it's too slow otherwise, but considering this mod has a lot of troops with thrown weapons, this can be kinda dangerous most of the time.

I hate using spears with two hands, it feels silly swinging it around like that. When I'm forced to, I swipe at the feet as if I'm trying to trip them, in an attempt to make it make some kind of sense :roll:
  5. Taunts

Awesome. Will the AI do it in single player if I start doing it? That would be glorious.
  6. Changing culture

As far as I know, there's no way to change the culture in game.

What I do know is that sometimes the villages from which come Frisian recruits also come Saxon recruits. You should try recruiting there a few times and see if you get Frisians again.
  7. Family ties among the lords

I've noticed that very few of the characters in the game who are related to each other behave as if they were. For one, the game doesn't recognize them as being related, which means I occasionally notice someone marrying their sister or cousin or somesuch, which breaks immersion to a good...
  8. New scenes (update 30/12/2011: Saxon Village p. 32)

Rathmor said:
    I really need to retexture the female's body.

I'm sure you're good at what you do and all, but leave the saucy metaphors to the bards.
    :lol:
  9. History Dark Ages: know who they were and how they lived

Hengwulf said:
    Hey Morcant,

nice pictures! I was wondering lately, how much would one see through the visors/ facemask often portrayed on saxon and viking helmets (like the Sutton Hoo or Valsgarde helmet)?

I think I would like a helmet like these more in battle, since they would offer a lot more vision. Also you could breath in it I can imagine hehe.

54487.jpg

54485.jpg

greets

I'm with you there. I hear people talk a lot about the potential usefulness of that ceremonial panoply that gets dug up every now and again. I figure, if kings and nobles did carry them into battle (personally I think they did) they would've been prestige items more than anything. A leader's part in battle is usually minimal, even in those days, I think. Not that they wouldn't have gotten involved in my opinion, it's just that the Jarl and the Carl fight differently, even when on the same fields. Even Brytenwalda logic tells us that a leader would rather be with his bodyguards waiting for an ideal moment to join the battle than leading the men at the front, putting his life on the same level as the lowest among his ranks.

Also, if I was a Dryhten, I'd wear as much ceremonial garb as I could. For every bit more that I appear separate from and above the experiences of the men of my warband, for every ounce of mystery added to my image by the gilded shoulder-thingies and shield adornments, I would seem all the more divinely inspired in my aims, the better the anchor to be for my men. Stirring them to blind fury or restraining them from charging into an ambush, or what have you, I would need these qualities to fill my role effectively, and all that dosh adorning my armor would only exaggerate these qualities.  :wink:
  10. IMPORTANT: if you know like run a multiplayer server Read Here

The three above posts are together equivalent to the sum of my feelings about this.

This is awesome news, wish I could help. I have the good connection/bad PC issue, myself.
  11. Question: are battles too easy?

I don't find the battles too easy. I'm about average/good with melee, and I play with max difficulty. It's sometimes easy to go wrecking the enemy from behind when the shieldwalls meet, as I noticed at first, but even this is precarious. I don't do it anymore anyway because it isn't as fun, I'd rather be in the thick of it. There's nothing quite like feeling the enemy's morale break at the crucial moment as you and your men pour over their line.

When I'm feeling commandery I stay on my horse, but I guess leading the men personally just feels more significant. Especially when you and an enemy champion get separated from the fray temporarily and engage in personal combat, then rallying the men with a warcry...

Damn, I got carried away a bit there. Basically no, the battles aren't too easy. In fact, I get nervous before a really big battle (a very immersive feature, by the way), so either I'm a wimp or the difficulty isn't too far off.

Edit: I'm all for stronger enemy lords, however. That's one of the best parts of the battle, is the possibility of meeting the enemy warlord face to face as equals. I'd like to feel a little more dread when I discern their silhouettes.
  12. Ship help

Makememove said:
    Dammit. I will kill all those looters and Scotos and whatever scum is running around and malke them pay!

Problems and solutions  :grin:
  13. A simple idea for improving spears in 1.40

Promising. If it turns out I'm chasing shadows then that would still be a good addition for the team to contemplate.
  14. Changing the battle maps

Adorno said:
    Well, the textures and the new grass in those screenshots above are not added  :smile:
    Just more smoothed hills.

Indeed, although the battlemaps I've seen so far in 1.39 have made a good deal more sense than before, though. Good job on that.
  15. What faction do you fight for?

Octavian. said:
    Who is the king of the Jutes?

Cyning Eadbald of Cantware (Eadbald of Kent today) styled himself king of the Jutes, IIRC.
  16. House Rules

This thread makes me smile. I'm glad to find that others are playing the game properly too  :wink:

As for me:

1. Only use cultures which I claim some hegemony over for recruits, i.e., if I consider myself the king of two different peoples, than I call them to arms together.

2. Develop a character's personality early on, then stick to it. Don't do anything out of character unless it genuinely is the only way to avoid doing something even more out of character.

3. Give the men a good speech before a big battle :mrgreen:

4. No abusing glitches or anything of the sort

5. I noticed someone mentioned keeping some spare equipment hidden in his hall in case he needed it later. I do something similar, but for vanity items. For instance, my purpose-bred Greek cataphract, which I occassionally take with me to very important battles, and a few fine especially swords and rare items.

6. Even when I travel alone, I stay overnight in towns.

7. Certain characters of mine will not lead a forced march under any circumstances, although there is one who would only lead one if he was retreating.

That's all I can think of just now.
  17. What faction do you fight for?

I tend to favor the Jutes. My favorite playthrough so far was my second, in which I aimed to overthrow the King of the Jutes by aligning with, and then betraying, the southern Saxons. I then proceeded to start a campaign toward converting them back to paganism before I got my ass handed to me by some Angles, one of which was King Oswald. Still a fun playthrough and a fun story to tell.
  18. A simple idea for improving spears in 1.40

I've been playing since 1.35, and I love the mod. It's pretty much everything I wanted from Warband, and my favorite mod out of all those that I've played. Now that we're getting close to the final release, I thought it was about time I spoke up about the suggestions I've been nursing these past...
Back
Top Bottom