Search results for query: *

• Users: Druzhina
  • Content: Threads
  • Order by date
  1. Druzhina

warfare.tk & warfare.gq

My websites warfare.tk, warfare.gq, warfare.ga & warfare.cf are permanently down due to Freenom.com leaving the domain name business: The illustration and other resources are available at: warfare.ueuo.com warfarewest.x10host.com costume.myartsonline.com for Western Europe and Northwest Africa...
  2. Druzhina

An Arab Chamfron in Scylitzes Chronicle?

A drawing of an Arab cavalry horse with chamfron in Scylitzes Chronicle appeared as fig. 609I in David Nicolle's 1982 PHD thesis: "The military technology of classical Islam" It has appeared in subsequent publications and by other authors. It appears as follows in 'Horse Armour in the Medieval...
  3. Druzhina

2 Jericho Plates from Central Asia

I was surprised to see a plate with the Jericho story from Semireçye in Central Asia found at Verkhne-Nildino was cast from the same mould as the plate with the Jericho story from Semireçye in Central Asia found at Anikovskoe. The gilding is different and there are major differences in the later...
  4. Druzhina

7th century Scandinavian Guldgubber Warrior

The 7th century Scandinavian Warrior in 'Armies of the Dark Ages 600-1066' by Ian Heath is probably based on a Guldgubber depicting a drinker with a cup without foot (and a spear?). Vendel period. Sorte Muld, Bornholm, Denmark. A Guldgubber (Gullgubber) [little old man of gold] is some kind of...
  5. Druzhina

Earliest depiction of a Western-European kite shield

I have previously written that Ian Heath's idea that the kite-shaped shield was depicted in Europe for the first time in the 'Codex Aureus of Echternach', (The Gospel of Otto III). Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nuremberg, Germany was based on a dating on the reused ivory cover as c. 983-991AD...
  6. Druzhina

Historical depictions of Kushans - Uzbekistan, Afghanistan and N.Indian Sub-cont

The Kushan Empire was formed by the Yuezhi (their Chinese name), in the Bactrian territories in the early 1st century. It spread to encompass much of Afghanistan, and then the northern parts of the Indian subcontinent at least as far as Saketa and Sarnath near Varanasi (Benares), where...
  7. Druzhina

Italian soldiers in Pistoia Cathedral, 1376AD

I have saved some photos by Hugh McDonald of Italian soldiers on panels from the side of the silver altar-piece in Pistoia Cathedral completed by Francesco di Niccolò and Leonardo di Ser Giovanni of Florence in 1376.  panel 5, panel 6, panel 7 and panel 8. Google Plus is closing, so if you wish...
  8. Druzhina

Surviving illustrations on textiles from the 7th-8th centuries

I find it interesting that multiple examples of an illustration, on perishable material, can survive for over a thousand years. The most I have found is seven examples of horse-archers on silk: Arab, Syrian or Byzantine Horse Archer on a Coptic Textile, 7th century, Dumbarton Oaks Collection...
  9. Druzhina

'Great Mongol' (Demotte) Shahnama

I have collected most of the illustrations from the 'Great Mongol' (Demotte) Shahnama, Ilkhanid Tabriz, c.1335. This was mutilated by a dealer, Demotte, and is now dispersed in a number of libraries and private collections. Persian Cavalrymen, c.1335 in 'Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 2' by...
  10. Druzhina

Umayyad Illustrations of Costume and Soldiers

I have collected some historical Umayyad Illustrations of Costume and Soldiers: Umayyad Gold Dinar Coin of the Caliph 'Abd al-Malik, AD 685-705 Umayyad textile with a Sasanian King, Iran or Central Asia, 7th-8th century, David Collection Museum, Copenhagen Umayyad Coin of Yazid ibn al Muhallab...
  11. Druzhina

Illustrations of Hussite soldiers, wagons and standards

Germans fighting Hussites in Sammelhandschrift zur Kriegskunst after Johannes Hartlieb. Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek Cod. 3062 Han . Hussite handgunners in Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 2 by Ian Heath, based on the Johannes Hartlieb: 'Kriegsbuch' miniature . A Hussite pavise in...
  12. Druzhina

Hephthalite Statues of Horsemen

The Hephthalites invaded and ruled far Northern India in the 5th-7th centuries. These statues may not be in proportion, but have some interesting features: Hephthalite Statues of Horsemen, Gool, Jammu region, the State of Jammu and Kashmir, India, 5th-7th centuries Mirror site Hephthalite...
  13. Druzhina

11th Century Illustrations of Ghaznavids

I have a few 11th Century Illustrations of Ghaznavids, but I would like more if anyone has one. Marble panel with cavalry combat, Ghaznavid, c.1100. David Collection Museum, Copenhagen Ghaznavid Ghilmān (Ghulams) on wall paintings from one of the Ghaznavid palaces at Laškari Bazar in central...
  14. Druzhina

Illustrations from Alhambra, Spain, 14th century

I have collected some images of the Alhambra palace paintings. If you have some of these, let me know: The wall paintings of El Partal, Alhambra, Spain, early 14th Century. Also known as the Torre de las Damas This includes Andalusian mounted crossbowmen and Andalusian mounted archers. The...
  15. Druzhina

Carolingian/Ottonian illustrations

I have extended my collection of illustrations of Carolingian illustrations of soldiers plus those from Germany and Northern Italy: Germanic or Slavic Cavalryman on a Gravestone, Magdeburg region, Germany, c.700AD, Landesmuseum für Vorgeschichte, Halle Fresco of the Crucifixion from Santa Maria...
  16. Druzhina

Mozarabic (or Visigothic) Casket, Northern Spain, 8th-10th

Mozarabic (or Visigothic) Casket, Northern Spain, 8th-10th century, Glencairn Museum; Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania Spanish Mozarabic or Visigothic soldiers on the Glencairn Casket This is perhaps a more likely source for the appearance of Visigothic Infantry than the Ashburnham Pentateuch which is...
  17. Druzhina

Illustrations of Moghuls in the Akbarnama

"The Akbarnama (Book of Akbar) was commissioned by the emperor Akbar as the official chronicle of his reign. It was written by his court historian and biographer Abu'l Fazl between 1590 and 1596 and is thought to have been illustrated between about 1592 and 1594 by at least 49 different artists...
  18. Druzhina

Illustrations of 17th Century Persian Soldiers

I had previously found the source document for some of the Persian soldiers that appear in George Gush's Renaissance Warfare. It is Dr. Kaempfer's Album of Persian Costumes and Animals, 1684-5, painted by Jani. The musketeers, Gush figures e & f, are from page 09 a royal bodyguard and a...
  19. Druzhina

Byzantine or Byzantine influenced illustrations from the 15th century

Byzantine or Byzantine influenced illustrations from the 15th century: The Betrayal, Mural in Agios Georgios, Artos, Crete, c.1401AD Equestrian portrait of Constantine on a gold medal, by Antonio Pisano (Pisanello), Italy, 1402 The Robe, Boots and Bow of Byzantine Emperor John VIII Palaeologus...
  20. Druzhina

Sassanian riding a horse facing backwards

Moya Catherine Carey uses a silver-gilt plate (Sasanian period) Iran Bastan Museum 1275, Tehran, for the typical costume on Sasanian royal hunting plates: It has the king sitting backwards on the horse. This is unusual as other Sassanid and post Sassanid plates have figures making Parthian...
Back
Top Bottom