1. Gallus Domesticus

How can this game be so heavy?

Hey I'm thinking of buying a pc with

AMD Athlon Phenom x4 Quad Core 9550 2.2Ghz
    4 GB DDR2 Memory
    EVGA GEFORCE 9500GT 1GB PCI-E 2.0 550MHZ
    (+650GB Hard Disk & DVD)

for about $450

Anyone know how well it would handle the game at about 500 battlesize with high detail? Also is it a good deal for $450?
  2. Gallus Domesticus

[RECRUITING FOR WARBAND]: The Death of the Renaissance 1508 - League of Cambrai

Project: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,45103.0.html Though the project is due to resume at the release of Warband, models for it would be made and gathered in the meantime. (*note that the setting will be changed to year 1508, an earlier part of the war) See here for basic...
  3. Gallus Domesticus

SP Medieval Musket Era The Death of the Renaissance 1524-1546 [On Hold for Warband]

Hi everyone, I thought I'd give a little update after such a long absence,

A few days ago I looked at the list of new single-player features of Warband, and I feel I have made the right decision to put the mod on hold, since the Devs' brilliant work far surpasses anything I can possibly achieve with the current version.
    I don't particularly plan to "port" the mod into Warband, but rather begin completely anew with the old scripts a basis for re-invented features.

Some things to expect on top of the Warband features would be:

1) A multiple formation command system that completely replaces the native battle command options, as well as enemy AI which makes use of complex tactics(well-timed cavalry charge, volley fire, possible flanking etc) depending on the army composition of both sides and the opponent's movements.

2) "Entrenchment" battles, where a party could choose to entrench on the world map, and an enemy party may attack with calculation disadvantage or entrench as well while morale drops on both sides, until the side with depleted morale either attacks or retreats while the other side could choose to pursue. The entrenchment chance, speed and quality will depend on engineering skill. (see battles of Garigliano, Ravenna, and Bicocca for examples of entrenchment battles of this period.)

3) Roaming mercenary lords that could be hired by factions or the player, but is loyal only while he is periodically paid, and could be persuaded to change sides as soon as a payment is missed.

4) Alpine passes where France, Swiss, or the Empire may spawn parties. If one of these factions are wiped out, there will eventually be a large-scale invasion from their respective passes.

5) Republic system where the faction leader can be changed through political maneuvering.

6) Possibility of staging a city revolt and establish your own republic(as opposed to dictatorship when taking it by force).
  4. Gallus Domesticus

SP Medieval Musket Era The Death of the Renaissance 1524-1546 [On Hold for Warband]

I'm not dead I'm not dead and neither is the mod :sad:

I think I've been gone for long enough so here's me again

The mod is not in hell or anything, I'm just waiting for the release of Warband before continuing to work on it
    From what I've seen there would be very drastic changes made to the game in Warband, like new factions, troops, items, balance, graphics, and even the game system itself would be changed(couched lance that you can aim!! woot).
    If I make progress now, it will just mean more things to be ported to Warband.

Few weeks ago I got Highlander's artillery script implemented and basically working, but it has not been adjusted or balanced.
    Here's the medium cannon I made for it:
    2hqbcps.jpg
    20jk6fn.jpg

The artillery script was actually the initial reason why I decided to take a break from the mod.
    When I tested it out, it changed the gameplay so much that I couldn't decide if I wanted to keep it.
    The main problem is that once the cannon's there, the player wouldn't want to march his army forward like before, but would instead hold position behind the cannons which was not much fun at all.
    It ended up feeling like a burden to have them.

But thats it for now...
    I'll get back to work after Warband's released, which should be in the next month or so I'm guessing.

(btw I'm very, very lazy... so yeah...)
  5. Gallus Domesticus

Heavy Harnish:
    2ef0pic.jpg

again, the original mesh was by Scion, I edited texture and added everything else
  6. Gallus Domesticus

New landsknecht armour/harnisch I just finished:
    2hn75ux.jpg

***original mesh was by Scion, I edited texture and added the leg guard***
    ***original mesh was by Scion, I edited texture and added the leg guard***
  7. Gallus Domesticus

I just finished this armour:
    2cxutj4.jpg
    28lz3hk.jpg

It'll replace the native black_armor mesh as plate armour in the mod.

Ambalon said:
    Also, are you implementing rapiers and alike weapons? (Don't know if they range from back then). But some fencing would be really nice.
    Well rapiers are after this period, but there'll be predecessors of rapiers called sideswords. Fencing is unlikely since I don't have the animations for it, but there'll be sword combat... yeah...
  8. Gallus Domesticus

Hi everyone I really appreciate the encouragements

I spent much of the last week fixing the various problems with the spear bracing script, which were mainly two things:
    1) The effective area was a semicircle in front of the spearman with a radius of the length of the spear, which meant that the cavalry gets hit even if the spear is not pointing at them
    2) The way the damage was calculated was based on the speed of the cavaly disregarding its direction, which meant that if the cavalryman was riding perpendicular to or away from the pike it would receive the same damage as if it were running directly into it

Both are fixed and now works the way it should(took me 3 days to try a bunch of different things before I got it right).
    I'll make a video after I make some lod meshes for all the helmets so that my computer wouldn't don't lag so much.

Yesterday I made a skirted gendarme armour and tested it out this morning:
    (The beautiful sword was made by Luigi, I'm just starting to put all the stuff he gave me into the game.
    2u6zh9l.jpg

2rcu6ox.jpg

r7svvp.jpg

And here's the latest edition of the map I made yesterday:
    (the bunch of dots in the middle are all the towns from Native. this map has roughtly 4 times the playable area of Native)
    kf2tky.jpg
    122c753.jpg

2z657kl.jpg

nx6vm9.jpg

2v1r9qt.jpg

This one is far more efficient with a density is 0.35, up from 0.28... of the last map, meaning this map is ~25% more detailed.

Thats it for now :smile:
  9. Gallus Domesticus

Thanks again everyone

Here's a new Video demonstrating the edited Spear Bracing Script!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGF47ga7p-s&fmt=18

There are still some problems with the script that need to be fixed up, but it's looking good so far.

timedanze said:
    in my opinion:

HEGEMONY VS. DEATH OF RENAISSANCE

the best 2 mods in range....

if DEATH OF RENAISSANCE gets great scenes, too (like Hegemony) this mod will be unbeatable! :razz:
    Yes there will be scenes. I think I'll be doing it myself, since it's the only way to get it the way I want it :smile:.
    Will have to wait till the other stuff are finished, though, maybe even after beta is released.
  10. Gallus Domesticus

How can I make the rider not slide when his horse falls(dies) head first?

I need to make the rider to not slide for some 3 meters when the horse dies forward because they fly to the back of the pikemen that killed them and end up attacking the pikemen from behind. I'm assuming this is the animation that makes them slide: ["fall_rider_head_front"...
  11. Gallus Domesticus

tommmy said:
    hello everybody,
    I am so glad to see the progress you made so far and am looking forward to seeing the mode done. gallus, you really seem to be trying to make this mode perfect, which is cool. I mean, like adequacy is just not good enough for you. I like that. Keep it going.

so, about the spearmen. basically, what you're saying is that they don't have to 'move' to damage the cavalry? did I get it right?

Hi Tommy, you're back!

I think the important part of the new feature is that the spearmen will make the cavalry it hits rear up.
    And yes, basically it's like the cavalry gets damaged by running into the spear rather than the pikeman moving or stabbing it. (it only works on cavalry, btw)
    This fixes the problem of the pikemen killing the first cavalry that charges into the formation and then no longer have their pikes ready, and then gets run down by the rest of the cavalry.
    Now they can literally be stopped.

I'm planning to make a similar script for arquebusiers scaring horses using The Mercenary's script as a base.
    I just need to figure out how to detect that a shot has been fired.
  12. Gallus Domesticus

Screenshots

Screens from DotR:
    1w5zr.jpg

2u71w1i.jpg

33lmuyx.jpg
  13. Gallus Domesticus

Silver Wolf said:
    I must say that your work is amazing..... And which version of phyton are you using for Module system?
    I'm not sure actually :smile:. I installed it quite a while ago and never updated it, and it doesn't seem to say what version it is anywhere unless I dig out the installation file. But I don't want to do a search through 200 gigs of files in my disk... so...

AAnd I forgot to reply to this..
    Deyshawn said:
    Some more Italian Cities:
    Lucca
    San Marino
    Catania
    Trieste
    Taranto
    Cagliari
    Foggia
    Perugia

Will the islands of Sardinia and Corsica be reachable?

Here is the site I got these from.  They may not all be appropiate for the time period, seeing as the data is current.
    http://www.citymayors.com/gratis/italian_cities.html

Thanks a lot for the cities, I've read most of those on wikipedia a while ago but lost track and ended up forgetting. They'll be added to the list.

A chunk of Sardinia is out of the map so it won't be reachable for visual reasons.. And if Sardinia is out then it wouldn't make much sense to make Corsica playable.

I had considered access to the Balkan coasts, but then I thought it's probably a good idea to use the sea as a natural border rather than cutting the player off after he had already crossed it. So in this current map there'll be no sea travel, but in later versions there may be, and Sardinia and Corsica could be made playable.
  14. Gallus Domesticus

Great News! I have just edited and implemented The Mercenary's "Spear Bracing" script!
    The original script makes spearmen "brace" their spears and damage the enemy cavalry horse like how couch lance works.
    I edited it to deal damage to both the rider and the horse, and more importantly, make the victim's horse rear up when it collides with a braced pike!

Here's some screenshots of the initial test
    Before, the pikemen would be overrun by the heavy cavalry and be torn apart from the inside and out.
    Now with the new script the cavalry's initial charge is halted by the braced pikes and the pikemen was able to fight off the cavaly.
    The result was 1 Veteran Pikeman dead per 2 Heavy Cavalry killed. (started with twice the number of Pikemen as Heavy Cavalry, but each cavalry can usually count as two units before this script was implemented)

1w5zr.jpg

2u71w1i.jpg

33lmuyx.jpg

The important part is that the cavalry couldn't run through the pike formation, which they were more than capable of doing before.

[quote author=The Mercenary]
    Remember to credit the development team of NE if you use this.
    [/quote]
    I can't think of what NE stands for right at the top of my head... so I just quoted The Mercenary :smile:
  15. Gallus Domesticus

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
    Wow, that looks great.

Hey, I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but can I borrow some of your items and icons from your mod once it is released? You see, I'm making a mod based off the same general time period, and some of your items would be invaluable to my modification. They are just gorgeous:wink:

I guess I'm honored that you like my items :smile:
    I'd usually prefer to support or lend stuff and to historical mods, but since it's you yeah you can use them after I release alpha.

ddrake said:
    Do you still need list of names for villages / towns / lords / ladies?

I need suggestions for the top 50 Major cities in Italy. The rest of the 100 or so smaller cities I'll just do one by one.

Currently for Major cities I have:
    Rome
    Milan
    Florence
    Venice
    Naples
    Turin
    Genoa
    Palermo
    Bologna
    Mantua
    Modena
    Ferrara
    Urbino
    Pescara
    Parma
    Udine
    Pisa
    Ravenna
    Verona
    Padua
    Pavia
    Bari
    Messina
    Livorno
    Brescia
    Reggio
    Piacenza
    Prato

So I need around 20 more. Everyone please suggest to me some cities that would fit in this list, because I know there's a lot more that I missed.

ddrake said:
    Will you add passages in the mountains later? Especially between Bologna and Florence the way is not blocked, although hilly terrain the armies could get through. River crossings will be strategical too. How do you plan to put them?
    Maybe a town sitting on a river? That way the town may block the passage if you are at war with it... at least it should unless the Marquis of Gonzaga holds it (i guess you know the story...)

Yes, there will definately be passages in the mountains and river crossings.
    Rivers can ONLY be crossed right beside a city, which will add to their stategic importance.

Right now, towns are useless for defending chokepoints since enemy parties can simply walk through it, but I have a plan to make them actually block off the enemy:
    Whenever an enemy party with less troops than the city's garrison comes within range of the city, the city will spawn a small, non-lord party targeting the enemy party, which will hold off the party for about half a day, during which time ally lord parties could come to its aid and beat off the enemy, or else the enemy would win and march pass the city.
    (If the enemy is in numbers larger than the city's garrison or if there's several parties, then it will just be allowed to pass the city unstopped...like what happened with Gonzaga.. :smile:)
    This will make cities far more important and you won't have parties riding all over enemy territory like in native.
  16. Gallus Domesticus

Screenshots

Death of the Renaissance:
    30mle2r.jpg

dvlxy9.jpg

2nr1rgx.jpg

17. Gallus Domesticus

Here's the update:
    New in-game screenshots:
    30mle2r.jpg

dvlxy9.jpg

2nr1rgx.jpg

And... I don't know how to say this, but I made another new map......yeah

I have made this one using the heightmap/colour import feature, with the NASA world elevation map linked by touareg (thanks, toureg, really appreciate it.)

Also, using 3DS Max's optimize feature, I was able to start with a 100000 vert map and reduce the verts in the ocean to bring it down to below the limit.
    In this one it worked out perfectly, and the result here has 49920 vertices.
    Density in this map is 0.276818266179

....Well I hope you like the new screens :smile::
    6sq9n6.jpg
    2j4u59v.jpg

Sicily:
    ydp9j.jpg

2qnbn9k.jpg

Nothern Italy:
    2lmrqiq.jpg

25qgj6p.jpg

Central Italy:
    vyta1v.jpg

2cy2kaw.jpg

In-game test:
    260bk9l.jpg
  18. Gallus Domesticus

Hi everyone,
    I was pretty busy last week so sorry about the absence.

Well here's what I was working on this morning:
    fu9jpu.jpg
    a2vwg5.jpg

I'll reply to everything later today. I'm feeling a bit burned out right now.
  19. Gallus Domesticus

Make "ford" terrain in world map reduce party speed like "forest" does?

Sigh.. I think I'll just put a few trees on both sides of the crossing then..
Back
Top Bottom