Search results for query: *

• Users: eobet
  • Order by date
  1. Sui Generis

Harkon Haakonson said:
    Jesus, stop jumping on my pants people.

Game looks awesome overall but the movements still look very limited and I hope that part improves a lot. Else it's just the same dodge and attack animations over and over again.

Did you search for Sumotori Dreams as I recommended?

There are no "dodge and attack animations". At least not in the traditional sense.
  2. Sui Generis

Harkon Haakonson said:
    I'm not getting combat. Looks like they're doing the same attack and dodge sequences over and over again in super tedious fights. What's interesting about that?

The animations aren't pre-cooked like in Mount & Blade (and War of the Roses, and Chivalry actually). What that means is that you will see no swords going clean through anything as if it wasn't there, like you do in those other games. Even though the attack may be the same, the outcome is always different, since it's dynamically calculated upon impact, taking into account angles and all sorts of advanced stuff.

Now, imagine if Mount & Blade 2 has this. Can you imagine the literal overnight explosion of Youtube videos, just showing the effects of people bashing each other and falling over in fun and unexpected ways? I think it would propel M&B2 to near Minecraft proportions in popularity, especially with mods later on.

I mean, for an example of how effective even a shoddy implementation of this can be, just Google for Sumotori Dreams. That game would have been nothing without the inverse kinetics and now it has thousands of Youtube videos, and because of it, the creator was able to release a paid version even.
  3. Sui Generis

I'm talking about inverse kinetics. The trailer may be shoddy as hell, but just look at how the sword makes contact with bodies and other swords (a few minutes in): http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis?ref=category Moderator note: Thread Title changed from "Finally a...
  4. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord

I paid for and played M&B a bit when it was really early beta... can't even remember the year... but I think Hitman 1 and 2 were out, so the first thing I said was "where are the inverse kinetics"? I know it was much to ask and I was in a minority, but I stopped playing M&B quite quickly because I just couldn't get over the pre-cooked animations with swords passing through shields and other objects. It removed the immersion too much for me.

Now, with every game using very advanced animation systems and physics simulations, I hope I won't have to ask that question again for this sequel. Especially since there now are two medieval combat games soon to be released and I hope M&B2 will aim higher than those. Good luck to the developers! :smile:
  5. [1.003] Task + event bug: Hunt down Euscarl the Long

I took upon me a task from Lord Talbar to hunt town Euscarl the Long, who was currently residing in the village of Ibdeles. When I came to the village, I found a "nervous person" standing outside the village map borders, without moving. I could not reach him because of the invisible wall where...
  6. 0.950 Bug reports

At the training grounds I end up by at the very beginning of the game, you can't do the sparring practise because the menu for choosing number of opponents is empty.

Also, when practising the other parts, the game says:

Script error on opcode 2324: Invalid Troop ID: 294923549; line no: 63:
    At Game menu menu_training_ground_training_result.
    At Game menu menu_training_ground_training_result.

When I then entered the first town, it says that the population was indifferent to me (0)... does this mean zero population? Yet I saw people walking in the streets...

Also, I don't seem to have bump mapping on the ground or on walls, despite me cranking everything up to max and using DX9 to render graphics.

EDIT: The sparring menu was apparently empty because my party consisted only of me, but the game should have informed me of this! Instead, I was left wonder what was going on...

EDIT: The bump mapping is on, but is only visible in strong sunlight... but that's ok, I guess.
  7. New things in .950

Merentha said:
    Ivan Bajlo said:
    Merentha said:
    You do realize that would mean you'd never, ever be able to take a castle, right?
    As phbbbt107 said there should be other ways to capture a castle, direct assault should always be last resort since it should be costliest method - I shouldn't be able to storm fully garrisoned castle even with my Level 38 character which can hack all defenders in two or three attempts. :oops:
    I'll never understand the forum.  They beg for castle assaults and storming the walls, get them, and then turn around and say that they want storming to be so difficult as to be entirely impossible.   :???:

It is not difficult at all to understand. Those who feel they have something to complain about will naturally voice their opinion. People who are content are playing the game instead.
  8. How do I upgrade the guy called Borcha?

Aha... ok, I think I get it now.

The button is only availible on the world map, but not in cities... I wonder why?

(Also, if I'm allowed to nitpick... the "upgrade" button disappears when it's not availible, but the "talk" button merely gets greyed out...)
  9. How do I upgrade the guy called Borcha?

Tatari_okan said:
    eobet said:
    Dead GOD I hope that changes with the next patch!

Thanks for the info, though.
    I think it will not be change. Because than when I met th M&B it was like this, now like this.In 751, 808, 890 is like this)

So, in the latest patch, the developers removed the need (or even the OPTION) to talk to inkeepers for lodging, and instead moved it into a menu on the world map... but you still need to talk to your troops?

Anyone but me see a lack of consistency here?

(Aaaaaand... 3, 2, 1... que the person going "it's not final yet"...)

EDIT: Waitaminute... the talk button is greyed out, I can't click it!
  10. How do I upgrade the guy called Borcha?

Dead GOD I hope that changes with the next patch!

Thanks for the info, though.
  11. How do I upgrade the guy called Borcha?

I have someone named Borcha with me (no idea where I got him from), and the game notified me that some of my troops were ready to upgrade, and sure enough, his name has a '+' sign after it. The trouble is, nothing really happens when I click on him (I can move him, but no "upgrade" button shows...
  12. Sword to sword Interactions

nox said:
    I fence, and I have done some work studying more medieval combat such as longsword (bastard sword) combat.

Only late period (1450-ish+ thrusting) swords ever intentionally met sword to sword and that kind of contact was deliberate and sparing, and only later when swordplay got so sophisticated as to allow fighting in double time where the sword was used defensively as well as offensively (hence, 'fencing' or 'sword defensive work').

A 'parry' is not what you might think - you never block a blow with the weapon, you only ever deflect it.  As well, a parry alone is a waste - a parry's main opporunity is the riposte which is the strike made while the opponent's weapon is deflected.  Because thrusting weapons provide defense through threat, removing the point removes the threat, and also removes the defense.

let me try to explain

Every sword has three areas.  A strong, middle and weak.

it looks like this

O---I=STRONG===MIDDLE===WEAK=>

You can easily parry ANY weapon if you meet their weak against your strong.  No weapon damage will happen (to you), and if you notice, and look at historical weapons, they often have a heavier or even unsharpened area neer the pommel to allow them to meet metal without taking damage.

To 'parry' you have to put your strong against their weak, and then move their blade "OUTSIDE THE LINE" which means make the tip of a thrusting blade not point towards your body.  If your blade is pointing at their body, and theirs is not pointing at yours, all you need to do is to close the distance and you will cause them harm, unless they do something to remedy that situation.

Around the late 1300s there was a great deal of debate about the virtues of older, slower 'slashing' style combat (saber) versus newer (smallsword, longsword) combat and the faster piercing blades won by virtue of speed and engagement.

initially it was smallsword and blocking tool, such as buckler, cape or main gauche but that later gave way to 'fencing' which literally refers to 'defense' i.e. 'Defense with the attacking weapon"

so, very very long story short is that you do not generally attempt to parry with a real slashing weapon.  The slashing weapon has no defensive role.  If you actually DID hit the other dude's weapon, you would break or bend them both.

If this would make it into the game, it would totally rule!

I guess it could work a bit like Virtua Tennis (which is the absolute KING of tennis games and sports gameplay in general):

You move into position, press and hold down the parry button... then pray. :smile:

In the Virtua Tennis way, what would happen would be this:

Position in the most important thing in that game. If you stand in the wrong place, no amount of button mashing will help you, so you have to move into position first. Then, when you do press down the action button, your on screen character STOP (very important) and try to perform the action to the best of his ability. This means, that if you are well positioned, you will get a good swing. If you are poorly positioned, a whole bunch of things can happen, like the character having to lean badly, reach too long, take a half step in some direction (and loose speed and control) or even try to throw himself or fall over.

You really have to see it in action, it's a great, great system... and I believe you have to use something similar for strong vs. weak points to move, since you can't really ask the player himself to try to aim that precisecly in combat, but rather have the on screen character try to home in on the target, once you press the button.
  13. Arena combat takes place in a space-time singularity!

I mean it must be, because you sign up, duke it out, recover... all in the lapse of exactly 0 seconds! Though, it seems much longer to me. Something's fishy here!
  14. Sword to sword Interactions

Pnakotus said:
    Blademaster said:
    The point is the concept, not the game. the game sucked!

Yeah, but we already know 'blade awareness' is a good idea.  Die By The Sword was a terrible implementation of the idea, is all.

The game has a physics system now, so perhaps it's more likely.  I'd like to see even passive weapon awareness, so your spear poke through trees at rest etc.

The correct term is "inverse kinetics", which I describe in the following thread, which should be merged with this one, imo:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,21820.0.html

With lances, this would be a very interesting feature... perhaps even requiring splintering or hurling the lance from your grasp...

The game doesn't have a complete, or even consistent physics system, but it does have some rigid body physics with the ragdolls, and some kinetic physic thing with the "speed bonus". Hopefully, this is the next logical step to implement for the developer!
  15. Impossible to leave/flee a battle.

What defines "fought them once"? Can I kill one and then leave? What other triggers for ending a battle are there apart from trying to leave, winning (not an option here, since I'm alone) and getting knocked out?

It's still an illogical feature, imo.
  16. .89x Spread out formation command doesn't work (cavalry)...

Oh... the tactics skill might be it, yes... hah! Didn't think of that. Cool.
  17. Impossible to leave/flee a battle.

Bugman said:
    eobet said:
    I faced a bunch of Sea Pirates when it happened. I haven't tried again, but I will.

Are you certain you were not surrounded?

Again, I was alone on my horse, no men in my party. I rode manually to the other side of the map. Nobody was even close!
  18. Impossible to leave/flee a battle.

I faced a bunch of Sea Pirates when it happened. I haven't tried again, but I will.
  19. Impossible to leave/flee a battle.

Well, that wasn't the case. I was miles bloody on the other side of the map and they were nowhere in sight when I tried to leave.
  20. Impossible to leave/flee a battle.

Whenever I leave the area of battle, or choose to leave it via the menu, I only get to a menu with the options charge/surrender. I'm on a horse, and the others are on foot. I should be able to outrun them.
Back
Top Bottom