New submod Standalone v26 and Patch has been released here! v27 should be out in April.
Compatible with Warband 1.168 as well as most earlier editions.
This submod is only built for singleplayer right now, though I think multiplayer might still work.
RECOMMENDED: 1. Download BW Reworked Standalone No music v25 (or the highest number you see).
2. Download the latest patch and merge the folder with the Standalone.
3. If you have already downloaded music from BW, cut and paste that Music folder into the mod folder at the same level as resources.
4. Post your findings to the boards.
Be sure to pick the last patch on the page that is not a sub-submod you don't want.
Last Patch Update November 27, 2016. Recent patch: Jan 23.
Brytenwalda Reworked: Experience Dark Age England, Scotland and Ireland
Brytenwalda Reworked 2015-6 Submod Description
First of all, this mod builds on all the great work done by the Brytenwalda team and seeks to keep the spirit and focus of their efforts alive. It includes all elements of Brytenwalda 1.41 with a large number of content and tweak revisions and only a small number of script revisions. I adds onto 1.41 new scripts by TML from 2013. It includes all the graphical enhancements of Brytenwalda Repolished 1.05 at the permission of Brujoloco. The Goals and Vision of this submod:
1) To make Brytenwalda more accommodating to newcomers while keeping the intricate historical and political character of the submod alive. 1.41 and Repolished are intentionally realistic, meant to simulate the reality of struggling in the dark ages. It also gets boring quickly to some.
The competition in payer attention from games is much higher than it was 4 years ago. Players expect to accomplish something in an open world like this within 7 days of playing.
2) To allow players to accomplish things in a shorter period of time. The time frame I have in mind is 1.1 game years to the founding of a kingdom on easy settings and a significant reduction for other settings. The majority of the script tweaks will make the game about 15% easier on settings. Money will be about 15% easier to make. You will need that and far more to successfully hold onto a kingdom.
3) Make the late game accessible. For me, the running one’s own kingdom is the most exciting part of this mod. However, doing this without cheating seems virtually impossible. Holding onto a kingdom established without more than 200,000 in savings and huge army was not possible in earlier versions. Many scripts have been altered to make things easier:
• Good Lord conversion is easier with high persuasion skill and RTR
• Adjusting “Campaign AI” has a major effect on the ability of enemy factions
• Better returns on building investments
• Lords are now fixed in character-type/renown. Spreadsheet with all their settings is possible.
• Many other dynamics that will allow you to survive longer as a faction leader.
Older players may argue that this makes the game too easy. However,
4) Immersive Realism to me is ruined by using cheats. I would like all players to be able to play without being tempted to use cheats. As it stands, the game is too punishing and even boring for many experienced players. If players believe the mod has reduced the intrinsic cheating of the AI, they will be less likely to cheat.
5) Simplicity when possible. The scripts in the game are very complex and can overload the game causing stuttering. A number of quests failed regularly due to complex scripting. The most troublesome have been commented out, while others are streamlined or made to run at night. Also, item weight penalties are now based on a simple script rather than the arrangement of items in itemkinds.
6) Transparency. I have added clues in-game to help players make vital decisions. NPC morale and a few other factors appear in-game. Dialogs drop many more quest hints. Also, making decisions about buying and selling is a huge part of the game, so I standardized and published a list. I plan to publish clear guides to all the quests and other features in the near future.
7) Amplify the effect of acquired skills and traits (RTR, reputation) whenever possible in scripts. Currently, intelligence and charisma skills at high levels only have a minor impact on gameplay. It would be nice to see them make a difference in the game. Since player traits are so important to outcomes, wealthy players can accelerate trait acquisition. Special merchants and quests now feature items with significant bonuses to traits.
8 ) Encourage a diversity of strategies. Banditry or extended Freelancer were necessary shortcuts in earlier versions However, the path to success as a trader, enterprise developer, slaver, ransomer, book reader, warrior or warband leader are now easier. I want players to discover new paths to success and hear about it on the forum.
9) Bring Quests back alive. Most quests have been improved to different degrees:
• Beowulf Sword: Completely revamped with new side quest added
• Arrians: New giver, more challenging, better outcome
• King of Rheged: New dialog and outcome
• Odin’s Cave: Bodyguards, new loot
• Roman Baths: Tied to Hadrian Wall Quest, bodyguards, better loot
• Hadrian Wall: You don’t need to conquer London. Dialog revamp.
• Celtic “Sacrifice” Quest: Revamped, new rewards
• Help Pyr the Elder: excellent items and scripting
• Neko and Cantabrian warriors: debugged and dialog revamped
10) Less Violence: Some players and player parents object to all the bloodshed. All weapons but knives can now toggle to a blunt mode. A scripting project has been started to allow the “use blunts” command to cause most agents to use an alternate form of their weapon that is blunt. There is also a new line of blunt-only weapons.
11) Support for submodders. BW141/Repolished were very difficult for submodders to work with. The biggest change is that the module_items and module_troops have been revamped to features names that are very similar to the names of items and troops seen in-game. This took an enromous amount of time and debugging. Additionally, I have translated as much as I could into source files and have published them on a regular basis. You can access sources files at the link under my profile or http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/5997/?. I can easily support old and new submods with the new layout. Examples:
-100 Companion submod was recently added.
-Itemkinds1 is much easier to search and directly edit in text. All itemkind classes share a common stub such as kni, seax, sword, shsword,ax,shield,helm,cap,mail,tunic, hammer for blunts, etc.
Partial, Short Changelog (as of Oct 11, 2015):
New Overhead spear animation that works
New Game Icon revamp. Credits largely go to Kraggrim.
Troops have been revised to use ethnically-sensitive gear. Redleg was very helpful with some of the troop upgrades.
New troop trees, esp for Picts, Fresnas, Irish, Briton factions.
New weapons and armors. My favorite is the cavalry flail.
Shield diversity. They are fewer but have diverse stats, requirements and quite are few elite shields are available in quests.
Large shields now require shield skill 3 primarily because the overhead animation cannot be removed for those with the big shields.
Diverse and new gear for tournaments. Bets and Rewards have been upgraded.
Several new books. New read times. New effects of books.
New feature: books from Abbots dialog feature
Prisoner Management Skill added back in and revamped
Agility removed as an attribute to accelerate skill progression. Text file available to add it back in.
Skills-Attribute relation revamped to allow specialization. More skills are now party skills.
Mercenary revamp: New gear, all have blunts, much easier to find and recruit in taverns
Added 5 stable ransom brokers in Loidis, Cirren Cester, Monid, Temair and Caisel
Captives sell at 50% higher rate
New Meshes for authentic dark age swords courtesy of Gothic Knight (Still not released)
Wages reduced slightly; Leadership has larger impact on wage reduction.
Most common TweakMB changes have been included into the game files since the TweakMB database is out of date and causes file corruption now.
Made enterprises more lucrative depending on town. You need to think about the best enterprise for a town rather than just picking wine or beer-makers.
Published standardized trade-item list
Kidnap, Escort caravan and escort herd quests yield gold and XP much higher depending on quest distance
Impossible quests have been made rare or made easier. Ex: Train Troops quest should not require troops higher than level 29 be delivered
Reduced size of Lord parties by 10%
Hunting map smaller, 2 new types of wild animals to hunt
Make Peace quest yields 2X RTR if you refuse the money reward.
Lowered costs of manor and mill improvement by 20%
Increased return on all investment buildings by about 25%.
Reduced Imod price increase for high-quality weapons and armor at normal merchants
Added 8 special merchants selling items you can find nowhere else.
Spies give spotting skill bonus at sizes 4, 8 12. Wages much smaller except when on mission.
Many other special characters give party bonuses: camp women, caravan masters, cantabers, clerics, several others
Villages: I have removed some of the penalty for trading with villages. Village raids cause slightly less damage to them. High village relations yield better recruits at a higher rate.
Increased starting stamina points but they dissipate quickly with heavy armor
Made athletics have a 15% greater impact on stamina.
Made it 22% less easy to kill the horse of a mounted troop with all weapon classes
Spears were getting a 200% bonus. Now have a 140% bonus on damage
Reduced the damage from striking enemies in the back 40%
It's too easy to exploit this and surround enemy war parties.
New script to force troops to use their best weapon (common Native problem)
Formations are callable from within new menus, including ambush and camp defense
Brytenwalda Team (Idibil, Adorno, Caba, Moto, many others) from 2011-2014.
Kalarhan, Somebody and Antonis for scripting guidance.
HootMan for reliable, ongoing testing and graphics improvements.
Brujoloco for the graphical and scene enhancements from Repolished
Redleg, Kraggrim, Produno for significant contributions and guidance
Columbus, Trooper0077 and a few more I will add for task help and testing
TML and Foffy for the 2014 module system upgrade
Gigantic for major testing
Others: I still need more helpers and testerse due to time limits!!
Please post your comments or thought-out suggestions below:
Hello. I am a little confused by the different files available here. Do you mind explaining to me which files are latest updated version, as far as your source code goes? I would greatly appreciate it.
This module is based on PW 4.4 and tries to convert the GoT universe into M&B Warband. A lot of new models/items/scripts will be the main point in it. We are also trying to extend the roleplaying sense in the module but only at much as possible (we don't...
This source code package contains:
- the whole module system
- the backend
- an old database
You have to recreate the database structure with the PHP files because I lost the original .sql file and I am honestly too lazy to do it on my own.
Note: The module was coded by me when I was a "newbie" on Warband scripting so there could be very bad scripting in some parts.
Hello. I don't usually get the chance to write up tutorials, however, I spent the better part of the day, trying to solve this issue, and if my experience benefits just one other modder out there, then writing this up, will be worth it. With that being said, let's move on to the tutorial...
Just wanted to leave a little comment. So, there has been some speculation and a lot of questions lately about whether or not this mod would continue with its intended purpose or be re-purposed in light of the Early Release of Bannerlord. The long and short of it, is this:
At this moment, and until Bannerlord has been stabilized, optimized and with stable modding tools released, this mod will not touch it. Which, to be fair, could take another year or two, depending on a lot of factors. Which, we are not worrying about. So, we will continue developing this mod for Warband.
On a personal level, I haven't been able develop due to a computer crash, which I announced last year. I am finally able to continue developing.
Thank you for your continued loyalty and support for this mod. We wish you good fortune in the wars to come!
Hello. If you are looking to move your Mount & Blade logo and version on your Main Menu, then follow these steps:
1. Go to your module folder, and OPEN game_variables.txt
2. FIND and MODIFY as needed.
3. For the actual version part of the logo, FIND and MODIFY as needed. If it doesn't exist...
For the amount of reserved messages I think they are willing, at least, to try.
We all know, in these forums, how complicated it is to take a project forward, there is a considerable number of them buried right here, under the tullo ... forgive us if we do not have much confidence in one of such size, but is that it has been shouted too many times that the wolf is coming and we no longer believe it. Let's hope that this time the wolf comes for real. Good luck with your project.
I cannot speak for other mods but I have a lot of passion for this mod, and the small team I have, all have that same passion. I started this on my own, with no one. Overtime, as my discord started to fill up, I grabbed people that shared my passion that wanted to help. So, yes. I will continue until it's done. Thank you for the encouragement.
I'm going to be honest and say that I'm a bit skeptical, seeing the amount of work you're putting on your plate with all those factions. But, you're enthusiasm is recommendable and if you manage to pull this off you have my deepest respect!
In any case, best of luck with your project! Keep us updated on the progress!
Heh, thanks for the good wishes, but I retired from -public- modding some time ago, for the foreseeable future, at least.
It's really good that you can code, especially when you're (I assume) the project leader/coordinator. If you guys don't already know about it, there's a huge russian Open Source pack with Westeros stuff. It has pretty much all Stark, Westerlands and Dorne equipment, horses, you name it. Should serve as a good resource pool.
I don't mean to sound critical, but except from research, can you guys do any other stuff? What I mean is, there are already 2 very good and well-developed ASoIaF mods out there. Apart from an idea, a concept(which admittedly sounds cool) and 3 researchers, what do you have, how your mod will shine? Again, please don't take this the wrong way, I don't want to appear rude or anything, it's just that every position of the guys actually making a mod is open.
On a sidenote, you REALLY don't want to have 100 factions. Not even 50. A ton of work, if doable, and just the amount of the parties on the map, the mass of scripts running and all that would make the mod unplayable.
Heya. I'm a Developer, and I can do textures, and limited modeling. What I can't do, I can certainly figure out. I don't take you as rude or anything other than constructive criticism, and for that, I thank you. The only way we learn is by making mistakes and learning from them. I have been writing code for years, however, I am new to modding, so I'm sure I'll make loads of mistakes, but that just means I'll be learning a lot. As far as the open positions, I including Coders/Developers because it would be nice for someone in addition to me, but not completely necessary.
I appreciate your wisdom on the factions and scripts. The factions are estimated as the exact number hasn't been determined. But, I'll definitely keep your advise in mind when making that decision.
Thanks for the comments, and I wish you good fortunes in the modding to come.