WE GOT A STEAM WORKSHOP, REPEAT, STEAM WORKSHOP

Users who are viewing this thread

NICE! I cant wait to use it to mod my 1.9 version of the game!!!1!!

Owait...

Also
Ok, so what's the point? If I'll download the same 50 mods from Nexus and not from workshop, it won't crash? I just don't get the difference. But instead of going to the folder and searching for the mod, which is broken, in workshop you can just unfollow.
The point is someone who is willing to do the work of using Nexus, properly sorting and working with their mod load is far more likely to need less help overall. Not to mention far, far more likely to make less mistakes regarding things like compatibility and load order.

Structuring the discussion based on Workshop's one benefit (convenience) and trying to gloss over all the drawbacks Workshop presents is rather disingenuous.

At this point in the game's lifecycle introducing Workshop is not the greatest move IMO. Mods appearing on workshop and not on Nexus (which will become a trend I believe, due to popularity of distribution and historical precedent) will make for less options for players instead of more. Therefore its a net negative in my book, even though it takes a little more "work" to customize things to one's liking.

It's the same thing as IOS vs Android for example or Linux vs Windows or Mac. If you opt for a walled garden or convenience you then fall prey to being at the mercy / shortcomings of that approach, which generally means less options or control on the user end.

Of course I understand that not all mods will instantly transfer over to Workshop only from the Nexus or Mod DB, and it certainly wont happen overnight anyhow, but there will be a shift and I bemoan that. Especially since Bannerlord needs LOTS of mods to make it enjoyable (some might even argue "playable").

Last edited:
Structuring the discussion based on Workshop's one benefit (convenience) and trying to gloss over all the drawbacks Workshop presents is rather disingenuous.
The point of the Workshop is convenience. Mods are in one place so that you're able to download them all there, and they go straight to the game. Mod authors can also send updates directly to what you have downloaded, meaning you don't have to manually download another file. And it isn't like there can't be variation. The amount of alternate mods to existing ones that exist is literally mind boggling, if you want examples just let me know.

There is, fundamentally, no drawback to having mods on the Workshop that will be lost from the Nexus.

While there are several versions of the game still being promulgated, that line of reasoning is either intentionally disingenuous, or the argument of a nitwit.
There isn't going to be seven versions of the game forever. Games get updated, that is a fact of life. EU4 has mods that are one or two versions out of date, and that isn't going to ruin them. And you're argument falls completely flat when it is easy to just upload an older version of the mod in Mod Authors want to.

You're grasping at straws.

As somebody who has player other games, I can assure you it does work just fine. I have played with mod lists in the hundreds for games like Arma, and in the double digits for games like Paradox. It is very clear to see what does and doesn't overlap. People aren't stupid, and they won't suddenly get stupid when they use the Steam workshop.

Yes, it is a fundamentally more streamlined system for both downloading mods and having them be updated.

Ok? This is for the casuals. Not everything a company does has to be for the people who log thousands of hours into the game. And, to be entirely honest, it shouldn't. Games like Rainbow Six Siege are just made worse by listening to the pros.

It is just going to make modding more accessible and easy for people who are more casual fans. Who don't want to go through the effort of constantly checking Nexus, who just want to run a campaign every now and again. And having them all in one place on Steam just makes it easier.
and how does that make anything I said wrong, invalid or false?
nexus still has a better platform overall (guys have been on this business for over a decade) - more serious modders will likely still prefer using nexus, and as such many mods will still require ppl to go in there - bug reporting and community feedback (the social side of their platform) is a thousand fold better than steam workshop too... The only "advantage" is clicking a button integration, which once they patch their mod organizer tool (vortex) properly, will do a better job at informing you about updates with buttons to click... The reason why it has been finicky with BL is simply because the game wasn't released yet. As such they aren't bothering so they don't have to keep pushing constant patches - they also need data from load orders which they are probably still gathering. - I mean, the workshop's irrelevant and overtime will become obsolete... 🤷‍♂️
Just an observation: I personally am not much of a fan of their staff - had a lot of issues with some of their moderators over the years, specially one that disappeared ages ago back when the owner of Nexus was still a child... - and Nexus remains better than workshop for all games except for new additions or in cases like BL where the game isn't really released yet.

PS: There's a reason why the biggest modding community in the gaming world uses Nexus and not the workshop for the vast majority of the time. It's even reflex to some of us seeing a interesting mod on steam and immediately look it up on nexus
what if 50 folders?
right click the last folder and create a desktop shortcut - bam, problem solved.

or you could start using mod managers.

Last edited:
Sure, okay then.🤡
Do you actually play games besides Mount and Blade. You do not know what you are talking about, stop acting like you do.
and how does that make anything I said wrong, invalid or false?
Acting like Nexus is just this superior site when they both fundamentally do the same is wild to me. Workshop literally just makes the casual’s life easier. Its a place connected to Steam to check what mods are out.

Acting like this is a negative way in any sense just shows that even if you joined this forum with the best intentions, you aren’t arguing in good faith anymore. I genuinely am a bit awestruck that you think the Workshop is Irrelevant. Steam has been using the Workshop since 2011, and it is still going strong.

Do you actually play games besides Mount and Blade. You do not know what you are talking about, stop acting like you do.

Acting like Nexus is just this superior site when they both fundamentally do the same is wild to me. Workshop literally just makes the casual’s life easier. Its a place connected to Steam to check what mods are out.

Acting like this is a negative way in any sense just shows that even if you joined this forum with the best intentions, you aren’t arguing in good faith anymore. I genuinely am a bit awestruck that you think the Workshop is Irrelevant. Steam has been using the Workshop since 2011, and it is still going strong.
nope, steam doesn't have a dedicated mod manager and will mess up load orders often if not always.
They lack tools for more advanced modding too, and their update system's simply automated, but cannot deal with split files or versions - nor can it deal with "beta testing" of mods.
It also lacks a good social network sub-system for easier communication of bugs, guides and documentation on mods.

It isn't the same, if it was Nexus would be long gone by now and not be as profitable... You're just playing dumb at this pt...

Again, the OP's about praising it, and I'm simply saying it's irrelevant - nothing to cheer about at all...

Bannerlord is on Steam. You have to launch Steam to play Bannerlord. Workshop is a Steam service. The two services are reachable through the same executable. Workshop updates mods automatically. Workshop is therefore convenient.
Nexus is not Steam. You don't launch Nexus to play Bannerlord. Nexus is a good service, but isn't Workshop and is not related to Steam in any way and asks you for another password, another account and an entirely different system that eventually uses another mod manager that's a third party software for a third party software. Nexus also doesn't update mods on its own. Therefore, Nexus is inconvenient compared to the Workshop.

Workshop is better because it will inevitably bring more attention to mods that would attract far less of it, considering that casuals can't be bothered to install mods in the good old way. And mods that get a lot of engagement, praise and attention on a larger platform (Steam) are inevitably going to be more successful, with the modders being galvanized by the success delivering a better mod more often than not.

And this is from someone who modded Skyrim with Nexus so much that you couldn't tell it was Skyrim anymore.

Bannerlord is on Steam. You have to launch Steam to play Bannerlord. Workshop is a Steam service. The two services are reachable through the same executable. Workshop updates mods automatically. Workshop is therefore convenient.
Nexus is not Steam. You don't launch Nexus to play Bannerlord. Nexus is a good service, but isn't Workshop and is not related to Steam in any way and asks you for another password, another account and an entirely different system that eventually uses another mod manager that's a third party software for a third party software. Nexus also doesn't update mods on its own. Therefore, Nexus is inconvenient compared to the Workshop.

Workshop is better because it will inevitably bring more attention to mods that would attract far less of it, considering that casuals can't be bothered to install mods in the good old way. And mods that get a lot of engagement, praise and attention on a larger platform (Steam) are inevitably going to be more successful, with the modders being galvanized by the success delivering a better mod more often than not.

And this is from someone who modded Skyrim with Nexus so much that you couldn't tell it was Skyrim anymore.
this

Not sure why people keep disingenuously mentioning load order in regards to nexus/workshop for bannerlord mods, when you know fine well we set the load order within the bannerlord launcher itself. Assuming the mod author has correctly setup the pre-install file structure it is objectively irrelevant whether you install from nexus or the workshop. The only real QoL advantage nexus has is versioning, files for different versions of the game can be stored under one files tab. But even then, on the workshop modders can simply upload two versions of the mod if they want to maintain a main branch and beta branch.

I'll continue to use nexus until the post launch patches slow down, but once modders are mostly all working on the same version of the game I'll switch to workshop for ease of use, instead of doing everything manually from the nexus. Why go through extra work for the exact same outcome?. A lot of needless, obtuse behavior going on ITT.

Not sure why people keep disingenuously mentioning load order in regards to nexus/workshop for bannerlord mods, when you know fine well we set the load order within the bannerlord launcher itself.
Imagine a program, which tells you which files of a mod overwrites which files of another mod, doing most of load order itself, also warns you about combability issues and which patches needs to be installed for a stable game and also integrated into Nexus. MO2 is doing this for Bethesda games. Vortex is also a good choice.

Nexus collection feature is also better choice for any casual players. With Nexus collection, you can download a mod list which consists of hundreds of mods and also its load order and combability patches done by the publisher of the mod list. If we are talking about convenience for casual mod users, Steam Workshop is a **** in the dirt compared to Nexus collection feature.

And only modding communities have done offer, is offering and will offer these kind of third party programs which makes any mod user life easier who wants to install lots of mods to their games.

Ok, gl using the workshop than, I really don't give a rats arse about it.
I was simply pointing out details that will eventually become an issue if you are serious about modding your games - but I ultimately don't care, it's not like I'll be publishing guides or answering questions on it, but I'll certainly be the first to laugh when any of you wind up TTing on forums asking for help :lol:

And mods that get a lot of engagement, praise and attention on a larger platform (Steam) are inevitably going to be more successful, with the modders being galvanized by the success delivering a better mod more often than not.
Why is that Skyrim have 28k mods on Steam Workshop while 68k mods on Nexus?

Why is that Skyrim have 28k mods on Steam Workshop while 68k mods on Nexus?
relax, these ppl have no idea how modding communities work, likely never were in one for real.
TW's was a quality community, but albeit a very small one. Skyrim's still rocking and the major hubs are Nexus and Romatic Laboratory (I won't name it here)
The most advanced best mods for CK2 were all outside the Workshop, but PDX managed to shoehorn it (it was their way of "DRM") for CK3. Other games that have workshop often have communities that neglect it - workshop winds up having lots of small mods from non-dedicated modders, a few mods from big modders and nothing else most of the time.

As I've said, if they are so fiercely fighting to preserve their illusory bubble, as much as they wish reality will eventually knock and burst it for them.

Back
Top Bottom