Just give up and start over at this point

Users who are viewing this thread

I find voice acting quite an irritating feature, tbh. When you play a few battles in a row, you're getting sick of constantly hearing "Troops! Move!", "Arrows! Move!", "Horse! Move"!, "Horse Archers! Move!" over and over and over and over again...

Wish there was an option to disable this.

Back in 2017, Armagan said that Bannerlord had been in development for "6 or 7 years".

So, they could be in their 13th year of developing the game, I guess.

Yeah, no more Early Access please, finish the game and let people play once it's complete, they clearly showed you that they can't handle trying a game early and end up bashing it instead. Stick to the old development method and never do EA again, thank you.

It takes longer to develop a game that is already released and you can get the funding elsewhere such as patreon or kickstarter, you do not need EA, it has does nothing good for your modding community or game either.

Continous updates has ensured many has abandoed their projects and there ain't no guarantee they will ever reinvest into modding again, that would not happen if the game was complete and modders could add content instead of wasting all their precious time on providing updates.

I still think Bannerlord can be saved but it needs 2-3 years investment still and i'll cover it here.

Kingdom management:

We need ministers like in Warband, Chancellor, Treasurer, Castellean, Emissary. Companion patrols suffer from the same problem the AI armies has in Bannerlord, it's trying to do too much and gets nothing done as a result, patrols assigned to one settlement or village is much more effective. (abandoned mod no surprise there)

Diplomacy:

Options such as grant fief, messengers, Let your spouse buy food, pay staff salary, send scouts, send spy, Threaten other factions with war.

Negotiate Mid-siege surrender/walk-out terms if defending your own keeps and towns.

Form an alliance, conclude a defensive pact, sign a trade agreement or conclude a non-aggression treaty with another faction.Change the domestic policy of your kingdom.

Choose between Centralization/Decentralization, Aristocracy/Plutocracy, Serfdom/Free subjects, Quality/Quantity which affects trade income, vassals armies size, AI army strength, relation between king and vassals as well as tax inefficiency.

When asking for a truce you will get the option to pay and/or give fiefs to conclude a truce.

Send emissaries to persuade lords to join your kingdom.

Factions:

The Vanilla game of Bannerlord makes owning your own kingdom very uneffective and troublesome, there are only major factions and no sub or minor factions, so in order to create a kingdom (sandbox) you must go to war with one of the major factions, be a victim of getting snowballed or doomstacked as a result, it is possible just not very fun if i'm honest, the way the patrols work in vanilla is another reason running your own kingdom is a bit of a nightmare where in warband you had a minister to send patrols to villages or settlements in return for gold. One of my all time favorite features from Viking Conquest is the "create your refugee/outpost" , what if the player had an option to build his own settlement instead of going to war ? it start as a village then upgraded to two villages and then you have the option to either build a castle or town.

Smithing:

I love the weapon smithing in this game, and i see no reason why we can't make our own armor either, i want to see this happen before you finish the game.

Gear penalties: Power Draw and Power Throw does not exist in Bannerlord, which means you only have the weight as a drawback to wearing heavier armor on an archer, however there is a perk that can change that. There needs to be permanent penalties for archers wearing heavy armor to make them more vulnerable to charges and melee attacks.

These are the major gameplay features i could think of Bannerlord is missing right now, it has a lot of improvements over Warband but isn't that the point of making a sequel ? i know you put a lot of hard work into this game already, all this can be added within 1-2 years and then you have the best of warband and the best of bannerlord in one game.

After that you can relax and add dlc if you want, i would really like to see Brytenwalda work on another expansion of yours.

Last edited:
Yeah, no more Early Access please, finish the game and let people play once it's complete, they clearly showed you that they can't handle trying a game early and end up bashing it instead. Stick to the old development method and never do EA again, thank you.

It takes longer to develop a game that is already released and you can get the funding elsewhere such as patreon or kickstarter, you do not need EA, it has does nothing good for your modding community or game either.

Continous updates has ensured many has abandoed their projects and there ain't no guarantee they will ever reinvest into modding again, that would not happen if the game was complete and modders could add content instead of wasting all their precious time on providing updates.

I still think Bannerlord can be saved but it needs 2-3 years investment still and i'll cover it here.

Kingdom management:

We need ministers like in Warband, Chancellor, Treasurer, Castellean, Emissary. Companion patrols suffer from the same problem the AI armies has in Bannerlord, it's trying to do too much and gets nothing done as a result, patrols assigned to one settlement or village is much more effective. (abandoned mod no surprise there)

Diplomacy:

Options such as grant fief, messengers, Let your spouse buy food, pay staff salary, send scouts, send spy, Threaten other factions with war.

Negotiate Mid-siege surrender/walk-out terms if defending your own keeps and towns.

Form an alliance, conclude a defensive pact, sign a trade agreement or conclude a non-aggression treaty with another faction.Change the domestic policy of your kingdom.

Choose between Centralization/Decentralization, Aristocracy/Plutocracy, Serfdom/Free subjects, Quality/Quantity which affects trade income, vassals armies size, AI army strength, relation between king and vassals as well as tax inefficiency.

When asking for a truce you will get the option to pay and/or give fiefs to conclude a truce.

Send emissaries to persuade lords to join your kingdom.

Factions:

The Vanilla game of Bannerlord makes owning your own kingdom very uneffective and troublesome, there are only major factions and no sub or minor factions, so in order to create a kingdom (sandbox) you must go to war with one of the major factions, be a victim of getting snowballed or doomstacked as a result, it is possible just not very fun if i'm honest, the way the patrols work in vanilla is another reason running your own kingdom is a bit of a nightmare where in warband you had a minister to send patrols to villages or settlements in return for gold. One of my all time favorite features from Viking Conquest is the "create your refugee/outpost" , what if the player had an option to build his own settlement instead of going to war ? it start as a village then upgraded to two villages and then you have the option to either build a castle or town.

Smithing:

I love the weapon smithing in this game, and i see no reason why we can't make our own armor either, i want to see this happen before you finish the game.

These are the major gameplay features i could think of Bannerlord is missing right now, it has a lot of improvements over Warband but isn't that the point of making a sequel ? i know you put a lot of hard work into this game already, all this can be added within 1-2 years and then you have the best of warband and the best of bannerlord in one game.

After that you can relax and add dlc if you want, i would really like to see Brytenwalda work on another expansion of yours.

You joined this forum in 2011! And still so late to the party. You got a lot of catching up to do.

And I sort of agree with your statement. The gaming industry has been plagued with bad releases for these last couple of years. Lets take for example Battlefield2042. It cost 100 dollars and is missing so much features that were marketed that it's basically a completely different game. Now, BF2042 is not in EA. It has "live service". Meaning that since the release in december 2021 it has received 3 small patches, intended on making the game playeble. And it is set to receive one meaningful update containing one map in June.

BF2042, CyberPunk, No Man's Sky didn't even do you the courtesy of lubing up before messing with you. With Bannerlord we knew we signed up for EA, complete with bugs, issues and lack of content.

What we didn't know however was that the basegame was completely different than what most of us here had envisioned. We didn't get a better looking Warband with Diplomacy mod integrated. We got a better looking Warband but without any of the quirky stuff that made us love Warband. Even if we didn't have EA and the game would've fully released there and then we still wouldn't have gotten what we expected.

But as far as EA's go, this didn't feel like EA where a game in development leans on community input and feedback to further improve the game.
And although the EA wasn't a smooth ride, I would bet that the alternative wouldn't be much, if any, better.

The original M&B was Early Access... and only existed because of it.

I find voice acting quite an irritating feature, tbh. When you play a few battles in a row, you're getting sick of constantly hearing "Troops! Move!", "Arrows! Move!", "Horse! Move"!, "Horse Archers! Move!" over and over and over and over again...

Wish there was an option to disable this.
I love them and hope they´ll add more battle voice lines. But sure, an option would be cool, options are always cool, nobody loses.

When the game is ready there will be no more modders to save it, it's scary how many good mods are disappearing, Calardia expanded, Scum and Villainy, and many more. End the game and move along. Let the modders work.

It was the very start of TW which had 2 devs in it. 2010-2020, TW grew so much. These two timeframes can not be compared.
Sure; but telling TW to go back to their 'old' ways is disingenuous. TW have always used early access.

When the game is ready there will be no more modders to save it, it's scary how many good mods are disappearing, Calardia expanded, Scum and Villainy, and many more. End the game and move along. Let the modders work.
No. TW are the ones I paid; they are the ones who need to deliver a finished product. And many amazing mods are in production - Kingdoms of Arda and The Old World are amazing projects. Vastly more ambitious then anything produced for Warband.

Relying on modders to finish titles is terrible for the consumer.

Warband didn't have an Early Access of any kind. There was no money involved during its beta period whatsoever, and only a relatively small amount of players were testing the game. People couldn't purchase it during that time.

Furthermore, in terms of integrating player feedback and improving the quality of the gameplay, the beta periods of M&B1 and Warband worked like this:

Mexxico (TW): "Our players helped us to make our games better. For example first Mount & Blade (2008} and Mount & Blade Warband (2010) were developed with using feedbacks from players mostly ... This communication made "Mount & Blade" and "Mount & Blade Warband" great games ... in Warband, the player was directly in touch with the final decision maker ... In Warband he communicated players much and this yield with a higher ratio of end user happiness."

Returning to the "old" ways of doing things sounds like a great idea.

Despite that Warband didn't have an Early Access, there were some beta testers who were so happy with the game's direction and progress that they asked if they could make donations...

2009:
Styo: Thank all the developers for creating this awsome game ... So if you could give some info to where to donate and how that would be great.
Orion: It's a real piece of art, and deserves every dollar that gets thrown at it.
cdvader: I agree with Styo and Orion. It's worth even donation.. I'd probably donate if there was an option for it.
mexxico (TW): I think informing people or talking about M&B and multiplayer M&B in several forums or platforms could be effective and helpfull. This is a way of thanking or helping devs.

Before that, M&B1's "Early Access" period originally came about because they lacked money (in 2004):

Armağan and İpek pitched their demo to publishers, looking for funding, and came back empty-handed ... "As a last-ditch effort, we came up with the idea of getting funding from the players themselves ... We didn't have very high hopes, really." They ... "were a little embarrassed" by trying to sell an unfinished game ... We will now pause for a moment and think about how charming it is that a developer might be embarrassed to sell an unfinished game ... Yavuz posted a link to their online store to a couple of forums ... A day later, the forum post had grown into a thread five pages long. Players ... spread it around, funding development and building a fanbase and a community at the same time ... "We learned a great deal from the community, and some people started doing mods ... We had a really knowledgeable community."

By contrast, Bannerlord's 2-3 year Early Access period came about despite that they've been sitting on a multi-million-selling franchise for over a decade (with extra money from the government), after having developed the game for several years already (including a beta period), with something like 90+ people working at the company.

I largely agree, Bannerlord is a mediocre game, people just need to accept that. You spent your $50 or whatever it was on a mediocre game, has that never happened before? Videogames have an absurdly generous cost to enjoyment ratio as it is. Bannerlord is like 30% as good as I'd hoped, but can I honestly say I didn't get my $50 worth, considering I might spend $15 to go the cinema and be entertained for two hours?

Just clean up whatever bugs are left, release the game, and let modders get to work on actually making something good. At this point additional development time is just adding time on to when we actually get a good game.

So what? Plenty of warband mods had that.

90% (this is not even an exaggeration) of overhaul mods never get released in a playable state. I suspect that number will get even higher with bannerlord, since every mod has to be team-based because of how rare it is to find someone who can model and code for free for so many hours. Back in the warband days you could make models with no prior experience and they would fit decently well in the game, but that simply isn't possible anymore. On top of that, many former modders (myself included) are now developing their own games, potentially making money rather than having to edit an existing janky game for free.

I love PoP; but Old World has working Cannons and Mortars and a fully developed magic system....
Huh yeah, combat wise that sounds exciting but they have to surprise me with some good outside combat gameplay, and an immersive setting with lots of characters, interactions, activities, enemies, objectives. PoP isn't just good because it's harder than the average MB game, PoP is good in every possible scenario. If I only wanted to play a game for it's combat, I could play a lot of other things

Back
Top Bottom