Can't control troops after enemy flees

Users who are viewing this thread

Flesson19

Not a Cookie
Knight
I'd like to get some feedback from TW on this and since @Duh_TaleWorlds seemed to be the main responder and Marda and Dejan just were replying with your thread I would love to know. Who made this change and what good did it to for the game, since that what changes are for? And after so many people talked about not liking it and Marda admitted not seeing 1 positive post on it and it would be reviewed again after your holidays which was in July, 5 months ago. Why has this not been changed back. I think it is quite clear the community does not like it and TW stated they would listen to the community more on issues. This was done for no good reason I can see and not liked by many and yet after the community voices clear hatred of it, still nothing is done. So why was this done, why after backlash has the community been ignored?
I am not sure if your the main one dealing with this but by post it seemed you were so I tagged you, if not please direct to whoever it as I would love to hear their thoughts on this change happened and why is the community being ignored for 5 months

honestly i thought this issue was a bug. If someone from taleworlds is reading this: I get your idea, for a cheering animation, but the fact that it puts your commands of your troops off is way more frustrating than it has to be. guys please work on stuff that doesn´t work yet instead of making things worse on aspects of the game that work

it can be explained as in the soldiers going for the loot.

it would be nice if they tied it to morale and/or troops levels.

I could live with some of my troops not following my orders. Like mentioned above: cheering and or looting corpses. But yeah, please let some troops still be controlled by the player. And what kills the emersion too is that the retreating troops don`t fight back of course you run for your life but come on if you are like 10+ an one lone rider is walking at your side in walking speed slaughtering your buddies of course you would rally up and strike back...

it can be explained as in the soldiers going for the loot.

it would be nice if they tied it to morale and/or troops levels.
i understand your thought process. something akin to the "not to flee because of low moral" perk in leadership. I thought the whole time it was some changes that broke the game mechanics like how programming went wrong.

I think i must be able to command my troops anytime, cause...are my troops, obviously. So, be kind, and please, change it back. Thank you.

I wonder if it has to do with stutter/lag that would happen during the end of battle if it went on. You guys probably didn't notice it unless you stayed after a battle and murdered your allies with FF. But it would get weird and laggy with units making weird sounds and glitchy movements and I think it also would eat up memory usage (not sure). Maybe this locking the AI into it's behavior on final rout help this, not sure. ?

It's grossly unpopular but I have to admit it was easy to adjust to charging or put on fallow before the enemy routs. I think players are mostly mad that "update work"" was wasted on something they didn't want that made an annoying issue.

I always want to be able to control my troops. This change in my view has no benefits at all for the player.

I could live with some of my troops not following my orders. Like mentioned above: cheering and or looting corpses. But yeah, please let some troops still be controlled by the player. And what kills the emersion too is that the retreating troops don`t fight back of course you run for your life but come on if you are like 10+ an one lone rider is walking at your side in walking speed slaughtering your buddies of course you would rally up and strike back...
+1

I get the cheering of some troops, especially those that have no chance to catch the fleeing enemies, but if I want them to escape or run them down, I should have that option. Please fix this. Sounds like something simple to appease those of us who have continued to play the game despite the plethora of flaws and lack of development (i.e. skill perks not working or not being fully implemented, choosing captains, and etc...)

Do this one simple thing for the fans, we've definitely earned it!!!!

Last edited:
I too hate the change where we lose control of our own troops once the enemies are fleeing. Taking control from the player when the player is winning is a bad (as in "not fun") thing. Makes sense when we get knocked out, not when we are so much in control we won the battle.

Please change it back.

The current inability to control troops after fleeing is horrible, making it even harder to train specific groups of troops, or companions skills. Please restore the ability to continue commanding groups, as this inability severely inhibits gameplay, while providing ~nothing~, and makes no sense. Its bad enough high tier foot troops can't catch up with scrub looters despite severely outclassing them in athletics.

Sure it is annoying behaviour for a victorious ( computer game ) commander to have to put up with, but likely realistic ( and then, is Bannerlord really " realistic " ? ) re " irregular " troops.
(Most) medieval armies were hardly disciplined professionals, and human nature being what it is, when their blood was up ........
And, of course, so many battles turned because of rash impetuous charges, feigned flights, etc

I guess commanders of armies, rather than being in total control, felt more like they were riding a big wave ...... like, serfing ?

Last edited:
Please give us back control of our troops once the enemy decides to route, there is no reason to limit the player this way and it's just annoying.

It's grossly unpopular but I have to admit it was easy to adjust to charging or put on fallow before the enemy routs. I think players are mostly mad that "update work"" was wasted on something they didn't want understand that made an annoying issue.

This all depends on what happens to the enemy troops left on the field after they rout.

Most of the time the enemy general or generals are dead at this point, so their army will vaporise once we exit the battle. But do those still fleeing when we hit the 'done' button register as captives or as escapees?

If they register as captives, then I'm with the devs, the only point to allowing us to continue butchering is to satisfy our bloodlust - which probably doesn't make it worth their while to allow us to continue doing. But if those still alive and fleeing when the battle ends escape into the wilderness, then we're really being cheated by the lack of controls.

I know for certain, if a noble manages to flee and escape, their party stays intact and depending on your disorganised status, might successfully evade you. But those troops without a noble... not sure.

But if those still alive and fleeing when the battle ends escape into the wilderness, then we're really being cheated by the lack of controls.

They escape into the hills and we can chase them down again.

But it just feels like a bug when you suddenly stop commanding your troops. It's not like they stop responding and go for loot as mentioned above; we just stop issuing orders and that really kills the immersion for anyone wanting to role play as the viscous lord who massacres his enemies as they run screaming from the battle.

This all depends on what happens to the enemy troops left on the field after they rout.

Most of the time the enemy general or generals are dead at this point, so their army will vaporise once we exit the battle. But do those still fleeing when we hit the 'done' button register as captives or as escapees?

If they register as captives, then I'm with the devs, the only point to allowing us to continue butchering is to satisfy our bloodlust - which probably doesn't make it worth their while to allow us to continue doing. But if those still alive and fleeing when the battle ends escape into the wilderness, then we're really being cheated by the lack of controls.

I know for certain, if a noble manages to flee and escape, their party stays intact and depending on your disorganised status, might successfully evade you. But those troops without a noble... not sure.
In a normal battle they go nowhere, poof into dust, unless their lord escapes too. In a battle resulting from a sally out by AI (you are sieging them) any routed units actually go back into the garrison. This is one things I cited as a "serious" consideration for this problem when it was first introduced. They is the only time IMO that it's important to kill all the runners as even just a few getting away can result in you having to launch a siege attack that you could avoid by just killing them. This can be circumvented also by retreating when enemies start to get away but haven all routed yet, allowing another chance to kill them all cleanly. Routed units will return in the battles after you retreat. Yes yes, nobody else cares! ?

Back
Top Bottom