Less taxing corpses?

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't it does, because when Total War: Three Kingdoms came out, there were interviews with Dr. Tim Gosling (their head AI behavioralist dev) and he talked about the AI in game. Pathfinding was one of the things he had mentioned for AI, especially in battle, and how they had to program the individual units to know when and where to best position themselves once battle started. That's hundreds of individual units acting and taking in thousands of different lines of code to determine an action. This is on top of the environment, special effects (smoke, fire, animated units), high quality models etc etc. The AI, both Campaign and Battle, for Total War is far more complex and takes far less to power it.

I'll see if I can find the interview again.

EDIT

I found it.

I'd be hard pressed to believe Bannerlord has even half that much going on as TW typically does, but a coder or whatnot can correct me if I'm wrong. xD

Bannerlord has a lot more calculations going on that are far less optimized, in TW units of 100-300 men act as one entity in bannerlord you dont have regiment system so each individual npc acts on its own and requires equal amounts of computing power, for cav its even more.

Taking into account npcs need to consider blocking and attacking as well and not just executing random animations that just calculate hp defense and armour stats like in TW for the entire unit, here npcs calculate all of that plus their next move.. The only way to optimize it is to introduce some sort of unit mechanics that eliminate npcs individuality and have them act as entities as in TW, but the issue here is that this entire entity instead of having to fight another entity will have to chase singular units so just imagine ur unit of 200 infs chasing just 1 singular bandit :grin: unless all actors are part of bigger entities it wont work so currently each npc is an individual.

Bannerlord has a lot more calculations going on that are far less optimized, in TW units of 100-300 men act as one entity in bannerlord you dont have regiment system so each individual npc acts on its own and requires equal amounts of computing power, for cav its even more.

Taking into account npcs need to consider blocking and attacking as well and not just executing random animations that just calculate hp defense and armour stats like in TW for the entire unit, here npcs calculate all of that plus their next move.. The only way to optimize it is to introduce some sort of unit mechanics that eliminate npcs individuality and have them act as entities as in TW, but the issue here is that this entire entity instead of having to fight another entity will have to chase singular units so just imagine ur unit of 200 infs chasing just 1 singular bandit :grin: unless all actors are part of bigger entities it wont work so currently each npc is an individual.

I posted an interview of the lead AI dev for Total War directly saying each unit also had its own calculations. So that's not true. At all.

Much like the Campaign AI, the Battle AI is responsible for playing like a human player. To this end it controls its available set of units, issuing orders and trying to win the battle (the Battle AI can actually win!). The movements of individual soldiers fall below the Battle AIs control and are considered part of the simulated environment.
(please read the rest of the interview for more context on AI)

Each unit, each individual soldier, on the field has their own AI, so that they can simulate battle more realistically. So battle AI in Total War has to account for environment, orders of leaders within the army, units, surrounding settlements, weather, and player decision counters, but it also has to on the individual soldier level. That's hundreds and hundreds of calculations being made constantly.

Bannerlord, in no way shape or form, has more calculations going on than Total War. It might have more horribly optimized calculations, sure, but certainly it is not more demanding or complex. It has far less to worry about, and does the job far more poorly.

Total War AI seems to make up for the demand through something called slicing, but no matter how they achieve it, it is something Taleworlds should consider looking into for some ideas on how to manage their own AI better.

Well then it must be a code issue that both nvidia and bannerlord devs are both ignoring.
Yeah. Don't think it's even something I can make a bug report about. I'd have to record my screen I guess.
I posted an interview of the lead AI dev for Total War directly saying each unit also had its own calculations. So that's not true. At all.

(please read the rest of the interview for more context on AI)

Each unit, each individual soldier, on the field has their own AI, so that they can simulate battle more realistically. So battle AI in Total War has to account for environment, orders of leaders within the army, units, surrounding settlements, weather, and player decision counters, but it also has to on the individual soldier level. That's hundreds and hundreds of calculations being made constantly.

Bannerlord, in no way shape or form, has more calculations going on than Total War. It might have more horribly optimized calculations, sure, but certainly it is not more demanding or complex. It has far less to worry about, and does the job far more poorly.

Total War AI seems to make up for the demand through something called slicing, but no matter how they achieve it, it is something Taleworlds should consider looking into for some ideas on how to manage their own AI better.
Interesting, I haven't been paying any attention to any Total War games since Attila.

It doesn't seem to happen to people with AMD graphics cards though, only Nvidia. I could have a cheaper AMD graphics card and not have this problem, which seems pretty ridiculous to me.

I think there's technically more going on during Bannerlord battles since each soldier has it's own AI and are making decisions etc.
I have vega56 on my PC and i5 9600K and it is hapenning so it has nothing to do with GPU since vega is AMD card. It has something to do with intel, it is not hapenning on my laptop with 3070 and Ryzen 5800H even when 1 core is bottlenecking entire game at 100% load.

To be honest in total war there is almost zero obstacles for units, because they clip through trees, jump over fences etc. Also they are not individual agents, units in formation in BL are still individual entities. Finally when units climb siege tower or castle tower in total war they dissapear on one side and reappear on the other side, they dont actually walk the entire path, good luck doing that in 1st / 3rd person game.

I have vega56 on my PC and i5 9600K and it is hapenning so it has nothing to do with GPU since vega is AMD card. It has something to do with intel, it is not hapenning on my laptop with 3070 and Ryzen 5800H even when 1 core is bottlenecking entire game at 100% load.
I see, that would make more sense.

I don't know if that makes it more or less likely to ever be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom