My troops are morons

Users who are viewing this thread

Rabid03

Recruit
TLDR: Troops need to be smarter about how they obey orders.

I just cleared out a bandit camp and took way more damage than I should have. My idiot troops will look right at a guy winding up a javelin throw and...NOT raise their shields. 2 Vlandian sergeants died, and my scout and surgeon we knocked out because they looked right at someone and didn't raise their shields. If they got flanked that would be understandable, but it was coming from right in front of them. How much babysitting should the troops need?

They are also way too literal about the "follow me" command, except when they aren't. "Follow me" seems to mean "watch for boss man to wind up a javelin throw, then right as he releases walk in front so I take friendly fire!". It also means "watch the boss tank hits from 3 enemies at once, but don't help him because he hasn't hit F1 + F3 yet, just stand there 3 feet away watching like a perv because I haven't been ordered to help".

I'm seriously reminded of this scene from Goon, skip to 1:30:

This is really apparent in cavalry engagements aswell, the follow me command is taken too literal and your guys will barely move to fight other cavalry even when being couched lanced to death left and right, you need to tell them to charge for them to properly focus on the enemies but then half of your cavalry will just break off and charge the massed enemy infantry far away so you need to constantly pull them back and charge, pull them back and charge.

All of this cause we don't have a proper "attack x formation" command like in the formations mod for warband, it was so satisfying to order some formation to attack another with that mod in warband then they'll keep focused on that order until the enemy formation is destroyed or you give them another command.

Last edited:
Sometimes I have to treat the game as a comedy of errors. If I couldn't laugh at the ridiculous AI antics I'd uninstall the game.

My only strat for hideouts is:

- select all > fire at will
- select all > F1 > F3

Works pretty good with mostly no loses. Of course I only use T4+ troops and like 4-5 archers and rest shield infantry.

My only strat for hideouts is:

- select all > fire at will
- select all > F1 > F3

Works pretty good with mostly no loses. Of course I only use T4+ troops and like 4-5 archers and rest shield infantry.
Yep I use fian champs with that and it's game over.

As it should be. High tier nobles should wreck hideouts so I'm not complaining.

Back
Top Bottom