Campaign Map needs a reshade

Users who are viewing this thread

Look at these screenshots from the pre-release map

e5173d078d0dbb8e0450eacd00700b6f.jpg

89e241cb627672fa29e706810628f110.jpg

xAm3QZAWoVQTjdK82cI8lHEBaUizCqr_ZgiQWbCwpjoPVmXTHDxxBdNvb6hxi3NELwKEmP-Dx93ULhtouvWObTIx0Q8QoZW4K20aKwBAl59Oc_kaqcejMMJo_dlge3wwvMWr26lu7hvTmrwBaucYgO_spQ

Wow. Look at how much more detailed everything was. How much better the trees were, how much better the lighting was, how much better the grass looked. It was like there was actually a diversity in the map, now it literally looks all the same, the same extremely ugly and dry shade of green for the grass and the same bad lighting, the same low res trees. I could go on.

maxresdefault.jpg

The map NEEDS a reshade.

They have also worsened the graphics quality.

This is both color palette and graphics problem.

There is literally no detail on the world map except under some light during specific times of the day.

They have also worsened the graphics quality.

This is both color palette and graphics problem.

There is literally no detail on the world map except under some light during specific times of the day.
Agreed. It's so disheartening to see that the devs are fine with the map in its current state. Its one of the worst parts of the game IMO. It NEEDS to change

I've developed Strategic maps using satellite grey scale images. they are VERY detailed ... but very memory hungry and probably unusable.

I suspect TW tested the previous maps and found them dragging performance down so made them leaner.

.I have no problem with current strategic map.

I think they just deleted detail to improve performances, as @archaicwarrior says a high detailed world map is much heavier for the system, as there are many elements, in addition to all other NPC parties.
For now, I think it's better like this and also more clearer (better to spot other parties). Also, I hope in the future with better game optimization it'll be more aesthetically pleasing.

I think they just deleted detail to improve performances, as @archaicwarrior says a high detailed world map is much heavier for the system, as there are many elements, in addition to all other NPC parties.
For now, I think it's better like this and also more clearer (better to spot other parties). Also, I hope in the future with better game optimization it'll be more aesthetically pleasing.
Other games have managed a highly aesthetically pleasing campaign map and good optomization just fine. As far as I can tell from the game demos, the game was running fine back then too.

It doesnt look cleaner. It looks much blander and each part of the map feels the exact same. I don't think its worth giving up a good looking map just so you can spot parties easier.

I am pretty sure the chronic menu lag/stutter issues are not related to the campaign map graphics, because the above issues are even visible
  • at the main menu of the game (options, custom battle, etc, before the campaign even has started)
  • when going back/forward at character creation step pages
  • even asset loadings are problematic, evet at campaign character creation
The game apparently has an overall performance problem whether in campaign or out of campaign.

each part of the map feels the exact same
I really don't get how Aserai deserts, Battanian forests, central mountains regions and other places can feel exactly the same.

I am pretty sure the chronic menu lag/stutter issues are not related to the campaign map graphics,
General game optimization is a big different issue, but in this thread we're talking about Campaign Map. Currently, the campaign map works fine and the fact it doesn't have too many details in it surely has an impact.

I totally agree with this. Near a year ago I also write similar things about this matter but it seems TW thinks everything fine with world map as it is, which is a shame.
Just look at these:
blog12_west.jpg
qeAhZMN.jpeg
pcowet2bqtk41.png
There was a time in Bannerlord when in winter lakes and rivers was frozen...
Oh... maps from that time when villages could be upgraded into castles or better economical fiefs instead, why does it still hurt? :ohdear:

Just look at these:
Well.... they look bad? I mean not awful but the current version is better in terms of detail. We discussed this a few times already. I can also give a technical explanation why the current map is better for TW and modders but I think it's not necessary right now.
I will copy-paste a few responses I posted about this in other discussions

Bannerlord's map is beautiful right now with its terrain features. Some aspects of the map are still bugged like the ground is all green but trees are snowed etc but these can be fixed super easily with a stroke of the brush.
EARgd.jpg
mrXnA.jpg
Mz3qp.jpg
However, the overall color palette can be improved more like what Terco showed and texture saturation should be changed.
I think the main problem is the grassy texture that they use and the map FX filter. In 2016's photo, you are seeing that atmosphere is way darker than what we have now - which I'm all up for - but textures are still good in terms of color/saturation.
Adding moving fog/clouds or flying flock of birds on some forests as small details would also make the map look great.

We discussed this in the Turkish forum today. Calling the current Campaign map "not beautiful" is not fair imo.
Yes, perhaps you want dark-themed map. However, details and amount of work put into the current campaign map isn't something you can ignore just like that.

Here are some screenshots that I took today to disprove that claim.
IuxPb.jpg
QpUlT.jpg

You can even see a lot of details when you zoom in to models
64JMX.jpg

Also, let's compare it with 2015's map
blog12_west.jpg
uE2By.jpg

or

FV92T.jpg

I think it's obvious that which one has more details in it and which one looks more realistic.

Furthermore, this one is from the same year.
Looking-south-east-from-vlandia.jpg

You can see that the entire map is almost flat without any height difference apart from random mountains. Current map has more elevated areas which create more immersive campaign map by showing the cultures how they should be like. ( Battanians on high ground, Khuzaits on steppe etc) The current map also has not just texture but also vegetation type difference as well - different types of trees on different regions etc.

Also, I'm leaving this map image with ridiculously simple icons for those claim that old icons were better and more detailed
Overland-map-siege.jpg

As you can see from images, it's also really dependent when are you looking at your map ( i.e, summer night time is different than winter evening )

That being said, the map definitely needs some fog/FX adjustment - as Terco demonstrated before
Apart from the textures, which could do with a bit more % saturation; there are some editor settings that if edited could lead to more vivid colours... fog (colour, scatter/falloff, etc), sun (intensity, shaft, shadow oppacity...etc), global envmap colour factor, global ambient colour, colourgrade texture...etc among others.

Edit: A little test with the editor; of course I'm not saying that "this must be so"... far from it; but rather that beautification is possible if you want it to be, and even more so if carried out by more skilled hands than humble mine.
_ZjpJ.jpg
And having more details would also make the map look better ( as Calradia Expanded demonstrated )

Well.... they look bad? I mean not awful but the current version is better in terms of detail. We discussed this a few times already. I can also give a technical explanation why the current map is better for TW and modders but I think it's not necessary right now.
I will copy-paste a few responses I posted about this in other discussions

Bannerlord's map is beautiful right now with its terrain features. Some aspects of the map are still bugged like the ground is all green but trees are snowed etc but these can be fixed super easily with a stroke of the brush.
EARgd.jpg
mrXnA.jpg
Mz3qp.jpg
However, the overall color palette can be improved more like what Terco showed and texture saturation should be changed.
I think the main problem is the grassy texture that they use and the map FX filter. In 2016's photo, you are seeing that atmosphere is way darker than what we have now - which I'm all up for - but textures are still good in terms of color/saturation.
Adding moving fog/clouds or flying flock of birds on some forests as small details would also make the map look great.

That being said, the map definitely needs some fog/FX adjustment - as Terco demonstrated before

And having more details would also make the map look better ( as Calradia Expanded demonstrated )
I think the current map is not too bad but it really needs some more details. The main thing I want is some diversity in the grass and tree textures and maybe some more detail as well.

Right now, every part of the map has the exact same ugly shade of green that does not look appealing whatsoever. All I’m saying is if they added some more diversity, like emerald green grass with a foggy atmosphere for battania, the map would be 10 times better.

I think the current map is not too bad but it really needs some more details. The main thing I want is some diversity in the grass and tree textures and maybe some more detail as well.

Right now, every part of the map has the exact same ugly shade of green that does not look appealing whatsoever. All I’m saying is if they added some more diversity, like emerald green grass with a foggy atmosphere for battania, the map would be 10 times better.
This is the main problem imo. That one shade of green covering almost the whole map. It just looks weird and unnatural, actually slightly difficult to look at sometimes. Deeper, more earthy colours would improve things. There also appears to be some sort of pale filter over everything.

Also I'm sure rivers aren't what they were when I first got the game. You can only see water flowing from a particular camera angle.

Last edited:
Oh... maps from that time when villages could be upgraded into castles or better economical fiefs instead, why does it still hurt? :ohdear:
And were conquerable on their own... and we had banners not logos... and much more. I feel this game in general will need a VC type reforged edition

Back
Top Bottom