Games you wish existed

Users who are viewing this thread

War De-escalation RTS

I've been theorycrafting this idea for a while, and I think an idea like this could work really well as a multiplayer game. This is the general premise.

- A post-ww1 setting, or at least some equivalent fantasy setting with mass media and industrialisation.

- Two or more teams on a large-ish map (around 10km, akin to the maps in R.U.S.E.) which start neutral to each other. Escalating the war is discouraged, but if you can get yourself into an advantageous position to decisively beat the enemy, you gain enough points to win.

- Players play ostensibly as a political party, meaning that if you make unpopular decisions like attacking a neutral neighbour or tanking the economy from over-mobilisation, you get de-elected and instantly lose.

- There are economic aims too, and if you save resources while your opponent builds up a huge military, you are most likely to win, although not mobilising alongside your neighbours leaves you open to unopposed invasion.

- Thus the minute-to-minute gameplay of a match in this game would be about moving armies around as a show of force, perhaps invading small AI countries on the border, capitalising on enemy mistakes or aggression for propaganda purposes, trying to quickly deal with border skirmishes to avoid escalation, etc. You would be able to issue official political statements and denouncements as well as openly chat with your opponent, but it would be up to them if they believed your missiles went off course due a system failure.

The idea is to make the prisoner's dilemma into a metagame. I think something like this would be more interesting the more players you have, although I think they would all have to be on board for roleplaying properly.

The Bowman said:
Did you happen to study history or political science? I'm having bachelor flashbacks reading that. :razz:

I did history but it was mostly medieval stuff. The idea for this literally just came from me listening to the homeworld soundtrack and imagining a game set in a standoff between semi-futuristic superpowers.
Hardly any strategy games even mention the people who suffer from the wars you start and it always feels silly how everyone in a total war or civilisation game is super enthusiastic about war. Also I find the buildup to a war way more interesting than the battles themselves, but it's a shame every game in every setting is just laser-focussed on tactics and weapons.

A silly combat game like Mortal Combat, but with characters from comedies who can't fight.
Like Ace Ventura, Anchorman, Zoolander, Borat, The Dude (Big Lebowski), Austin Powers etc.
They would have moves such as rolling on the floor with legs in the air, flingning their arms aimlessly around, pulling hair etc.
The scenes would be places like kitchen, bedroom etc. and airports, libraries and so on.
All places with random objects to pick up and use as weapons or throw at the opponent.

It would be a copyright nightmare and silly combat games exist already...

Also Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of the most boring games I have ever played, and The Last of Us II is going to be perfectly mediocre if it's anything like the first one. You can watch a YouTube playthrough of it and not miss anything.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance style gameplay, but in say Florence or Venice during the Renaissance. But with say small scale (i.e. political jostling between the city's families) plotting/intrigue.

On one hand, it sounds interesting, on the other, wouldn't that basically be The Secret World with more mind-****ery? How do you even shift that from writing to 3D?

Also, because I really don't wanna forget ever having this thought;
City/Colony builder with a large-scale, procedurally generating map like Minecraft or Factorio.
Set it on a different planet, and you can even maintain an "outside" connection without it progressively running away from you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom