Player Cavalry is stubborn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Madeloc

Regular
Why, AI knights have the intelligence to come in my ranged ranks and kill archers, and why are my knights UNABLE to perform this (even when I order my cavalry to move INTO the middle of the ennemies archers). So I sent knights in the ennemy archers and, if I have a look a moment later (after I sent knights in these loved Fians :wink: )
- my knights took (heavy) losses
- the ennemy archers are still there...

The only way I have found to have my cavalry attack properly ennemy archers is :
1) lead them in the middle of the archers
2) order them to dismount in the middle of ennemy archers. That's odd lol

I agree with myself lol that several of cavalry's purpose, thanks to high mobility, are :
- probably counter ennemy cavalry (nothing to say about that, even though I would say that infantry with shield and lances - more than 1,20m please - is better for that)
- certainly eliminating or weaking ennemy archers
- probably not charging pikemen like morrons, as they often do

Maybe in the orders, should there be the solution of telling which type of target we want our troops to take down, maybe also it would be too OP for the player.
But is very enervating to come to the end of a battle, having ordered to knights to decimate ennemy ranged troops, and actually realize that the same ennemy ranged troops are still devastating (well not devastating but... :p ) my ranks without never being worried...

Also, Mount & Blade -> MOUNT so horse is king, right, other light topic to end this?
So, question : Have you ever seen a decent and sane commander using cavalry in forests or mountains?
Answer : no, because it is highly stupid to use cavalry in forests or mountains. Forest and mountains are places to ambush cavalry. And a lot of maps (very beautiful by the way) have forests.

Also, try to fight in village maps with cavalry, or even with 200 troops... non-sense

Also, about archers, I believe player's archers target the closest ennemy target. AI archers, even being in second line, take down our archers, they do not only target closest targets. That's strategically really annoying ;P

Yeah I would really like a way to order certain formations to attack only certain enemy formations, like a cavalry formation only attacking an archer formation.

We can already see enemy formations when we hold down ALT (I think it's ALT) so the function is not out of the question. Like if we press 3 for cavalry (or 7 for light cavalry), F1, hold down ALT, highlight the archer formation icon, then F-something (it's a new function so needs a new key) that cavalry is ordered to attack that formation only, stopping only if it's intercepted.

Is the AI capable of knowing to swing wide to attack the formation though? Or will it just blindly charge forward running into that infantry formation with braced spears?

What I've heard is every formation choice has a different AI. Cavalry, light cavalry and heavy cavalry are supposed to behave differently. Don't know how true it is but I have noticed that any formation I have in VII (light cavalry) likes to charge, swing wide, charge again, repeat, while cavalry in III just charge in and wind up using melee weapons. That could be just my dumb ass not knowing exactly which orders do what though.

Yeah I would really like a way to order certain formations to attack only certain enemy formations, like a cavalry formation only attacking an archer formation.

We can already see enemy formations when we hold down ALT (I think it's ALT) so the function is not out of the question. Like if we press 3 for cavalry (or 7 for light cavalry), F1, hold down ALT, highlight the archer formation icon, then F-something (it's a new function so needs a new key) that cavalry is ordered to attack that formation only, stopping only if it's intercepted.

Is the AI capable of knowing to swing wide to attack the formation though? Or will it just blindly charge forward running into that infantry formation with braced spears?

What I've heard is every formation choice has a different AI. Cavalry, light cavalry and heavy cavalry are supposed to behave differently. Don't know how true it is but I have noticed that any formation I have in VII (light cavalry) likes to charge, swing wide, charge again, repeat, while cavalry in III just charge in and wind up using melee weapons. That could be just my dumb ass not knowing exactly which orders do what though.

A feature like this wasnt announced in the roadmap, I think. While it is very much a necessity. https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/future-plans.445840/

Yeah, ability to charge specific formations is necessary. It would make battles far more fun. And if anyone didn't want it, they could target nothing and make their troops charge randomly like they used to.

Who said this?
Well... basically the decision-makers in Taleworlds.

Dejan said: This community suggestion was brought forward before but was rejected. I'll make sure to bring it up again.
Remember that Dejan is the messenger, sheathe your blades. :wink:

We'll see how it turns out... ??
giphy.gif

.... or not ?:iamamoron:

Why, AI knights have the intelligence to come in my ranged ranks and kill archers, and why are my knights UNABLE to perform this (even when I order my cavalry to move INTO the middle of the ennemies archers). So I sent knights in the ennemy archers and, if I have a look a moment later (after I sent knights in these loved Fians :wink: )
cavalry command in this game is wonky and difficult. they are the least efficient unit type in game, and require the most effort to use. purely for style points

anyways, there are 2 solutions to enemy archer lines.
1- you position your cavalry to the flank of the enemy archers, then issue move command across through the archer line to the other side. this way your horsemen will run through the enemy ranks, attacking anyone in contact. but keep running through and not sit in place. you repeat this as many times as you need to, keep them on the move going in and out of the archer ranks
(during this time, you can choose to issue a charge command to your cavalry as their formations are on top of the enemy archers and they'll skirmish in and out disrupting their lines, but you have to stop this within 30 seconds or they'll start dying)

2- you lead the cavalry yourself, tell them to follow and you charge through the enemy archer line from one end to another. lengthwise. knocking down as many as you can while cutting them to pieces.

I may have missed something, thanks for the information. I haven't tried indeed to use ALT + order to have some troops attacking specific formations. Your coment sounds very logic - thanks
I often use VII for Voulgiers, Menavliaton, Palace Guards, Line Breakers, Falxmen, etc, which I keep far from fire and try to bring into the archers :p that's delicious, chen it works... :smile:
I have also tried to have several infantry formations, so as to make squares, very efficient against cav, so as to protect archers.
I will try the ALT + order to target a specific formation. Cause it's clear ennemy cavalry comes in archers rank as much as it is possible.

cavalry command in this game is wonky and difficult. they are the least efficient unit type in game, and require the most effort to use. purely for style points

anyways, there are 2 solutions to enemy archer lines.
1- you position your cavalry to the flank of the enemy archers, then issue move command across through the archer line to the other side. this way your horsemen will run through the enemy ranks, attacking anyone in contact. but keep running through and not sit in place. you repeat this as many times as you need to, keep them on the move going in and out of the archer ranks
(during this time, you can choose to issue a charge command to your cavalry as their formations are on top of the enemy archers and they'll skirmish in and out disrupting their lines, but you have to stop this within 30 seconds or they'll start dying)

2- you lead the cavalry yourself, tell them to follow and you charge through the enemy archer line from one end to another. lengthwise. knocking down as many as you can while cutting them to pieces.
1) Agreed but you cannot fight yourself, + when you give orders you do not block any longer and take arrows lol
But the better I know except dismounting cav into archers...

2) Have you noticed how the cav is slow compared to the player? when oyu order them to follow, don't be to far nor too fast... !

I may have missed something, thanks for the information. I haven't tried indeed to use ALT + order to have some troops attacking specific formations. Your coment sounds very logic - thanks
I often use VII for Voulgiers, Menavliaton, Palace Guards, Line Breakers, Falxmen, etc, which I keep far from fire and try to bring into the archers :p that's delicious, chen it works... :smile:
I have also tried to have several infantry formations, so as to make squares, very efficient against cav, so as to protect archers.
I will try the ALT + order to target a specific formation. Cause it's clear ennemy cavalry comes in archers rank as much as it is possible.
What I heard (in a Youtube video from a while back) is that each formation has a set AI. VII is Light Cavalry and that AI behaves differently than Cavalry in III or Heavy Cavalry in VIII and prioritize attacking different enemy unit types.

Maybe if you have infantry in a cavalry formation it defaults to a standard infantry AI? I have no idea. I cannot confirm any of this. Let me see if I can find the video that talks about it.

Ok it's in this video:

Last edited:

The only way I have found to have my cavalry attack properly ennemy archers is :
1) lead them in the middle of the archers
2) order them to dismount in the middle of ennemy archers. That's odd lol

I agree with myself lol that several of cavalry's purpose, thanks to high mobility, are :
- probably counter ennemy cavalry (nothing to say about that, even though I would say that infantry with shield and lances - more than 1,20m please - is better for that)
- certainly eliminating or weaking ennemy archers
- probably not charging pikemen like morrons, as they often do

Maybe in the orders, should there be the solution of telling which type of target we want our troops to take down, maybe also it would be too OP for the player.
But is very enervating to come to the end of a battle, having ordered to knights to decimate ennemy ranged troops, and actually realize that the same ennemy ranged troops are still devastating (well not devastating but... :p ) my ranks without never being worried...

Also, Mount & Blade -> MOUNT so horse is king, right, other light topic to end this?
So, question : Have you ever seen a decent and sane commander using cavalry in forests or mountains?
Answer : no, because it is highly stupid to use cavalry in forests or mountains. Forest and mountains are places to ambush cavalry. And a lot of maps (very beautiful by the way) have forests.

Also, try to fight in village maps with cavalry, or even with 200 troops... non-sense

Also, about archers, I believe player's archers target the closest ennemy target. AI archers, even being in second line, take down our archers, they do not only target closest targets. That's strategically really annoying ;P
try the rts mod , it give you the chance to direct attack specific formations

Thank you for your good advises.
I 've also done what you explain, but that cavalry-babysitting prevents us to play our character.
Also ordering cavs to follow us, have you noticed how slow they are compared to us?

Anyway thks for your coments, ideas, etc

but that cavalry-babysitting prevents us to play our character.
what i found is that in small battles i can do w/e i want and make little commanding moves and be fine

in large battles i almost need to focus exclusively on command and spare little attention in fighting. and that bring better results than if i can solo kill 200 enemies myself. because i end up losing less men for the same victory

what i found is that in small battles i can do w/e i want and make little commanding moves and be fine

in large battles i almost need to focus exclusively on command and spare little attention in fighting. and that bring better results than if i can solo kill 200 enemies myself. because i end up losing less men for the same victory
Yes i 100% agree, not paying attention leads to more casualties.
Also agree with large/small battles

Back
Top Bottom