Bannerlord was a grift

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except Bannerlord isn't a typical SP game AND the drop-off has been slightly more pronounced than even extremely linear, non-replayable SP games. M&B games are unique, genre-defying sandboxes with obsessive cult followings. The fact that absolutely none of the updates in the past year have triggered a noticeable uptick in player count tells us that there is nothing going on in EA development that rises to the buzz level of DLC.
That's because TW doesn't advertise patches but DLCs (for other games) do get advertising. And yes, BL is a typical SP game. So was WB.

@bonerstorm ya know I probably agree with you with the general evaluation of the game (for the most part at least), and yet all this talk about redpill and blackpill comes across as ridiculous.

You are not discovering the Matrix, you just don't like the game. The rhetoric seems excessive.

I joined this forum in 2014 - am I seriously supposed to delete my account just because I think BL sucks and will definitely continue sucking without serious changes?

Don’t beat a dead horse. If you believe this game is dead and wont progress in any way shape or form then dont call a vetinarian, bury it. Give it a proper sendoff, say your goodbyes and move on.

That sums these last 67 pages up nicely. In conclusion: If you like the game, good for you. If you dont and believe it’ll keep improving like it has the last couple months, good for you. If you dont and dont believe the game will ever be specifically made for your particular taste, why are you still here.

If the game does however still has a heartbeat and a chance to recover, good! Call a vetinarian, send that hearse back and just watch the game develop.

Have you even read my post, before you stuck a fork up your ass and ripped my post out of context to suit your butthurt narrative?

"I have genuinely learned how to provoke people on an internet forum and I like it, it really works for me" ... "I have absolutely no intentions EVER of even remotely trying to ... "

Yeah, sounds like you're dealing with some personal issues, having trouble perceiving yourself to others? Afraid to hear what people have to say about you or just the things you say? Either commit to being an *******, or don't. There's no middle ground. It's almost insulting to see.

Man, a mod responded to my claim that the forum userbase isn't as big as I think it is, citing information that he has access to as a moderator on this forum. I wonder what new evidence I will bring up in order to refute what he said.
3) My anecdotal evidence suggests that:
Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything, and mostly shouldn't be used in a conversation unless when you're speaking about your own experience. Anecdotal evidence can have a lot of bias when it comes down to it, and the proof brought up by Orion kinda shows the opposite. The whole "fan hates the game" conversation is over.

@bonerstorm ya know I probably agree with you with the general evaluation of the game (for the most part at least), and yet all this talk about redpill and blackpill comes across as ridiculous.

You are not discovering the Matrix, you just don't like the game. The rhetoric seems excessive.
For me it is the weird use of marketing phrasing (genre-defining! cult following!) that comes across as if he's trying to sell the game all over again.

Fan buys game. Fan hates game. Fan gets back together with a modded game.
Some fan, yes, but not all fan. That sort of thing happens with any game, not just BL. It happens with Skyrim, Minecraft, and other games.
Pack it up boys, Phantom says it's over, and we must obey.
Genuinely after what has been shown, it is. If it isn't due to one point being proven, neither side is convincing the other.

I'm one of those "free speech absolutists" so I rarely wish a zucc on anyone, but derailing a thread for several pages to personally smear a longstanding forum member as a pirate is kind of extra special bull****. Honestly I expected more from a thread where @Orion had just posted a couple days ago.
He was issued warnings by another mod shortly after making those posts. Targeting one particular user with bogus accusations is considered harassment by mod staff, so there ya go.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything, and mostly shouldn't be used in a conversation unless when you're speaking about your own experience. Anecdotal evidence can have a lot of bias when it comes down to it, and the proof brought up by Orion kinda shows the opposite. The whole "fan hates the game" conversation is over.
Well sure, if he's trying to prove that particular assertion then anecdotal evidence isn't good enough. He's not really doing that, he was using that claim as support for his actual argument. It doesn't mean his whole argument is bunk if that one claim is inaccurate, it just means there's reason to question his conclusions which are predicated on that.

I'm not sure if we're talking past each other and actually agree... so I'll just try to more clearly and concisely state what I meant:
1) The forum and polled votes on it have a population large enough to reach statistically-significant conclusions

2) These conclusions can't be applied to the broader player base since this is obviously not a representative sample (fans on the forum are, by definition, more likely to be loyal and long-term fans)

3) My anecdotal evidence suggests that:
3a) Most players picked up BL and were disappointed, so are now checking in on the progress every few months and waiting for it to "not suck"
3b) Many players who are extremely optimistic about the final release are ignorant of the status of development - and get very angry when given information that contradicts their expectations (either in frustration with TW or in denial that what they're being told is true)
3c) Some players are having "fun" playing the game (usually with tons of mods - the DL counts are much higher than you'd expect for a game with a lot of normie exposure), but are still disappointed with the pace of EA development and would be angry if the game released without serious further development

4) With these things in mind, I believe that TW is in for a fan revolt of they release in something resembling the current state of development in Q4 2021 or Q1-2 2022.
I'd say 1 needs a lot of qualifying. Statistically significant among all forum users? I don't think so, because the polling methodology is skewed hard in favor of people who are likely to view the board the poll is in--specifically, people who view the MP/SP/BL general boards. This is actually at odds with 3a, as you've essentially said that "most players" (i.e. >50%) are not checking the forum regularly enough to have meaningful participation in a forum poll that likely only remains an active discussion for a week or two. It's a small portion of the already small sample of players that the forum represents.

Further, 3b is reductive. Players who are optimistic can still be critical of the current state of the game, or at least not blind to it. They're also not all angry ragers when confronted with differing opinions. I think 3c is your most salient point, mainly because there are still many promised/anticipated features which aren't implemented or implemented well. We're lacking a lot of key components of multiplayer still, modding support is getting better but still has a ways to go, and the SP has its own laundry list of flaws and under-implemented features.

Last edited:

I like using the terms blue pill, red pill, and black pill for Bannerlord because it's funny and trivializes incel ideology and serious usage of the terms. It's intentionally meant to be ridiculous while also describing sentiments.

Well sure, if he's trying to prove that particular assertion then anecdotal evidence isn't good enough. He's not really doing that, he was using that claim as support for his actual argument. It doesn't mean his whole argument is bunk if that one claim is inaccurate, it just means there's reason to question his conclusions which are predicated on that.
That’s true. I do think the other two points brought up are weaker. I just wanted to respond to the annecdotal evidence as the other two didn’t really have actual numbers behind them, while the anecdotal evidence had the most elaboration to it. I still think that combined, all of the arguments don’t point to 4, the fan doomsday.

100 days since this thread opened, and no serious change since…though tbf after 4000 days, still we have an incomplete mess, so why do I fool myself into thinking it’ll be any different in another hundred (December 20th)?

100 days since this thread opened, and no serious change since…though tbf after 4000 days, still we have an incomplete mess, so why do I fool myself into thinking it’ll be any different in another hundred (December 20th)?

Did you fool yourself into thinking that a flammatory, unfounded and baseless accusation could actually achieve something other then be a honeypot thread for forum ****posters?

How dare you not have hopeless faith that after another 100 days something might change.

No, just a comment on the general progress in the last hundred days, or rather lack thereof.

They need to put up this as an announcement when coming to these forums. It works on so many levels. :iamamoron:

abandon-hope-all-ye-who-enter-here.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom