SP - General An idea for books in Calradia

Users who are viewing this thread

Haddontoo

Banned
Books Idea
My idea for books in Bannerlord is broken down into 4 different kinds of “book” items; scrolls, books, tomes, and the Calradia Collection, in order of significance and rarity.
Scrolls would be a simple scroll of parchment, on-use item that gives a little bit of exp. Two different kind of scrolls, ones that give exp to a specific skill (probably not very much exp), and kinds that give randomized amounts of exp to each skill of an attribute (so it would give a small amount to each Endurance skill, but how much to each is randomized). When given to a companion, the exp is 50% higher.

Books give non-randomized experience to a whole attribute line, but are significantly more expensive, much rarer, and require time to read, sort of like Warband. Only, you will read anytime you are not actively moving around, including while in siege camp. While in prison is an exception. These can be right-clicked in the inventory, and you can click “begin to read” or “peruse the book”, the latter allowing you, the person behind the monitor, to actually read some Calradic history, little bits of folklore or tales, maybe read about the ancient Empire. Worldbuilding to the extreme!

Tomes are far more expensive, talking 80k+ at least. They work like books which can be read for experience in an attribute line, but they also have unique effects when chiling in your inventory. Things like “Compendium of Aretius' Eastern Campaigns” which gives 20% increased tactics against Khuzaits. “The Legendary Lost Legion” which gives you increased morale for all Imperial troops, and 0.15 map move speed if over 75% infantry.

The Calradian Collection is a quest to collect 25 books from all over Calradia, each book is pretty much just flavor text and like +1 influence a day and +50 renown upon discovering the book. Upon completion, however, the player can choose to build a library in one of their towns with a prosperity over 8k, in which to house all of their books (while still getting the inventory benefits), which can also be visited by any lord of your realm in order to gain the experience from reading the books you own.

Additionally, this would give a perfect spot to add an in-game journal that we can write notes in if we want. Just a nice little addition I've heard asked for a few times.

Tanners, in addition to their leather they make, can now make glue, used for binding books and as a general trade good, and vellum (used to make parchment). Woodworkers can now make “Book parts”, the hard covers and spines. Maybe a new workshop type, but I dunno about that.

Lastly, “the knowing” and “the scholar” type companions generally come with a low-tier book or some scrolls to make them worth actually getting in your party.

Yea I agree, there should be books in the game. It would be quite interesting too if the books will gather secrets, like treasures, in hidden areas,such as hideouts. It would be cool if there was a book seller to buy these books, or even from loot, perhaps from a lord? Books providing lore would be neat too. Perhaps even giving new recipes for crafting weapons??

Yea I agree, there should be books in the game. It would be quite interesting too if the books will gather secrets, like treasures, in hidden areas,such as hideouts. It would be cool if there was a book seller to buy these books, or even from loot, perhaps from a lord? Books providing lore would be neat too. Perhaps even giving new recipes for crafting weapons??

Holy smokes of course, a Reason to run through the giant map with an actual objective other than those repetitive and boring quests.

Many good ideas, and not hard to implement for Taleworlds (except the workshops and goods stuff, which is not really needed).
Maybe @Duh_TaleWorlds is free this weekend to look at this and comment.

Edit: Obviously this is an opportunity to fill out the lore IF they have a good writer who is up for it.

Last edited:
Many good ideas, and not hard to implement for Taleworlds (except the workshops and goods stuff, which is not really needed).
Maybe @Duh_TaleWorlds is free this weekend to look at this and comment.

Edit: Obviously this is an opportunity to fill out the lore IF they have a good writer who is up for it.
While I agree the workshops and new goods aren't needed, I DO feel like wood and hide shops are pretty lacking in what they output unless you are a specific culture. Vlandians, for instance, will get good shields all over the place anyway, and the highest tier xbow isn't worth wasting a shop spot on. Hides are similar.

Back
Top Bottom