Users who are viewing this thread

How do you feel about the recruitment of noble troops in this game? Is amassing an army of noble easy? Or is it still difficult?

As I understand it (which is not saying much), notables spawn noble troops at a certain power level.

I'm just curious because I'm thinking of creating a treeless troop mod with this in mind.

I use to get enemy nobles troops taking a hostil action against a enemy village and force them to give me troops, I only chose nobles, if they don't give me none, I raid the village.

I just recruit bandit units from my prisners and upgrade them to noble tree (forest bandits - battanian fians, raiders - khuzai torgunds, etc etc) Its easy this way. Plus lately a lot more noble troops are available for simple recruitment.

Some are easier to get than others. But they have all become steadily easier over the last couple of updates. Battanian archers seem to fall from the trees sometimes. Assembling a death horde of 80 or 100 fians isn't too difficult.

But once I'm fighting against nobles, I tend to keep a constant supply of noble prisoners to top up my forces.

The changes in one of the previous patches, maybe 1.6.1, made getting them a bit easier. Still wish they'd add at least one notable per castle that guaranteed them.

The only nobles I typically stock are Sturgian Druz and Cataphracts, you cannot upgrade Bandits to Cats, but there are more Empire villages - but once they all war dec. on each other good luck getting them.

Almost wish that ever T5 regular troop could upgrade into a T4 noble alternative - I'd be willing to take a level hit and extend the time to max out my doom stacks if I could just train up basic troops to nobles.

How do you feel about the recruitment of noble troops in this game? Is amassing an army of noble easy? Or is it still difficult?
It is currently too easy. There is no reason to bother with the regular troop tree unless you want infantry and even then you can just dismount cataphracts, druzh or banner knights; they'll do the job just as well or better.

@Apocal I think 'phracts are rrroughly 2% better than banner/druzh; comes down to that tiny bit of effectiveness of horse armor. On foot, haven't checked (because. Uh. Legionnaires stronk and easy to replace.)

It's really easy, it's always been really easy. It's funny when TW finally fix the "reset forced recruitment" bug they also increased the noble/t2+ recruits available (for second time) making it actually easier since you don't even need forced recruit now, but if you do you always get better troops too. It easier then ever to get all nobles troops by like day 40 and start taking scalps.
The problem IMO is ONLY FIAN AND KHAN'S GUARD ARE GOOD, for the other factions thier normal recruits are better as heavy can just isn't worth warhorses.

Make heavy Cav great again!

"Makes the game easier" is NEVER an excuse for not improving the game! There's unlimited ways to balance the game other then "They die easy and can't hit nothin unless you ram 100 of em into 100 other things". That's crap, that just makes the units useless.

@Ananda_The_Destroyer It's more like 'there's only two ways to be good, bows & glaives'
Yeah I'm not a game coder, so I don't know how it works. But if you load up warband, the Cav in that game will ride up to stuff and beat it's face in!
In bannerlord they just wiff thier attacks so much, it's insane. I'll have 1 cav in SW and watch like 15 enemy cav all charge in and attack it and non of them can kill it, they ride up and swing or charge in with lance, but they wiff, they just don't know how to hit single units well enough.

I feel like TW mustonly test them by ramming 100 Cav into large dense formations, because that's the only way Cav gets some kills, I mean they HAVE to connect to some units when it's that dense. They'll still die though so even if you had 100 heavy Cav it wouldn't be reasonable to support them, you'd constantly lose them.

I can see as the player, mounted side arms feel kinda bad for landing hits with, while glaive feels really good, but I think the AI should be able to be programmed to know how to hit stuff anyways. They may need 120 length side arms though, below that is where it feels like you're gonna fall off the horse trying to connect.

Also, archers turn and shoot too easily at close range, this also does in Cav, even if you manage to get them to attack the archers, the archer is like 10X more likely to get a hit in then the cav. You can see it easily as player that AI archers just turn and shoot with unrealistic (no no word) aim that is too consistent for thier tier and skill undermines the idea of rushing them with Cav... because they have no aim it's just computer codes :/

Last edited:
Also, archers turn and shoot too easily at close range, this also does in Cav, even if you manage to get them to attack the archers, the archer is like 10X more likely to get a hit in then the cav. You can see it easily as player that AI archers just turn and shoot with unrealistic aim.
Yeah, AI def has Point Blank Shot feat; don't ride up on the wrong side of KG's!!

Interesting. Looks like my idea might just work then... assuming taleworlds doesn't fix the ease of recruitment.
It was done purposely, so I don't think they'll 'fix' it. And honestly, they shouldn't be balancing the game around grognards like me, because I'm way extreme end of game knowledge and experience. Playing a version of Bannerlord that I find challenging would be like taking a cheese-grater to most players' faces.

It was done purposely, so I don't think they'll 'fix' it. And honestly, they shouldn't be balancing the game around grognards like me, because I'm way extreme end of game knowledge and experience. Playing a version of Bannerlord that I find challenging would be like taking a cheese-grater to most players' faces.
All the more assuring then. The style of M&B that BL is going for isn't my thing either, but with its framework I can try something rather interesting.

It is currently too easy. There is no reason to bother with the regular troop tree unless you want infantry and even then you can just dismount cataphracts, druzh or banner knights; they'll do the job just as well or better.
I started a "noble only" playthrough a few days ago and I did feel the manpower pinch very early on. It seems like 1/4th of village notables have noble troops and no town notables do. So I have to be very careful and farm lots of bandits so that my troops will be high-tier enough to beat a lord's party with light casualties. Also warhorses are surprisingly hard to find for good prices, which I haven't noticed in my normal playthroughs because I would just be looting my warhorses from the enemy by that point. I haven't tried dismounting my knights, but judging by the performance of banner knights on horseback maybe I should. For some reason every high tier Vlandian unit is outclassed by its Imperial counterpart (except sharpshooters, and even they have worse armour).

IMO you bother with the regular troop tree because quantity has a quality all of its own, and you need something to garrison all those castles that you take. Filling out border garrisons is great because they get 3:1 kill ratios in autoresolve. Also with the donation XP perks and Veteran's Respect you can capture looter gangs (they surrender easily if you have lots of troops) and turn them into legionaries with a single battle's worth of loot.

Last edited:
i've been playing with a more troops mod that adds to the existing troop trees. every kingdom gets 2 noble lines. and missing troops in their trees like batanian regular archer, empire regular horsemen etc. there are tier 6 noble infantry now. and it also features a tier 7 addon that removes tier 1 recruits and adds very rare spawn but powerful tier 7 godtier troops with 300 in all skills.

i've been playing with a more troops mod that adds to the existing troop trees. every kingdom gets 2 noble lines. and missing troops in their trees like batanian regular archer, empire regular horsemen etc. there are tier 6 noble infantry now. and it also features a tier 7 addon that removes tier 1 recruits and adds very rare spawn but powerful tier 7 godtier troops with 300 in all skills.
How curious.

Back
Top Bottom