The 2016 Demo was better than the current game

Users who are viewing this thread

Here is a link to the PC gamer Weekender bannerlord demo on the PC gamer channel.

I think the 2016 demo was better than the current game. Here's why. Most of these details may seem small, but trust me, they can go a very long way when it comes to immersion.

2:06: Notice how much more fitting the Character creation UI is. It has a more medieval look to it, similar to the UI in Warband. I just think the weird, boxy, clean ui of the current game is not fitting, and this isn't just an issue in the character creation screen but everywhere. When you enter a village, when you speak to a lord, when you manage your inventory, it just doesn't fit in with the setting. A medieval-looking UI is just a billion times more immersive, the current ui feels like a pre-alpha stand-in for the real UI if I am being 100 percent honest.

5:52: Each settlement is represented by a line of text in the classic Warband font and color-coded. I liked this system much better than the current one. I think, for one, it gets rid of the classic Warband settlement markers that we all know and love and replaces it with the same bad UI. I think there should be, at the very least, an option to go back to Warband-style settlement markers. Especially since the map can look quite ugly if you're playing as the valandians, a red clan banner next to a green text box just doesn't look visually appealing.

6:02: Valandian lands are, well, forested. I don't know about you, but a steppe is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of "medieval European faction". However, Valandia looks more like the khuzait khanate than other factions with forested lands. Speaking of, it seems like there isn't a single place on the world map that properly green lands.

6:30: The overworld map looks so much more detailed, you can see little paths leading out of villages, fields, hills, rock formations, and an incredible amount of detail on that mountain. What happened to this?

8:51: The character doesn't die after sustaining like 4 hits. It seems as if it's almost impossible to take out a large group of soldiers in the current, even on very easy. This wasn't an issue in Warband and wasn't an issue in this gameplay demo, I would suggest reducing damage taken on the lowest settings.

9:56: More proof that the UI was so much more medieval, visually appealing, and better back then

10:36-10:43: Look at how much better the shadows and lighting were! This could compete with some of the best AAA being released today, why was this removed?

13:47+: Towns were SO MUCH more immersive. If you walk around a town now, you will see a couple of people mindlessly walking around and a few merchants. Back then, towns had so much more life to them, they felt like living, breathing environments. You can see people of different social standings, workers carrying items, etc. There is a little bit of that in Bannerlord right now, but not nearly enough to make towns feel like environments that are really alive.

21:52: Id like to take this opportunity to mention a problem many people have with lords. They just arent unique. They feel randomly generated. Now, this man, ecerand, feels more unique than any lord I can remember from Bannerlord from my 200 hours of single-player campaigns. It's mostly due to his face, you can just tell that it feels handcrafted. Now, of course, that isn't everything. I don't know if he was truly a unique lord or not, but you should really try to improve the personalities and uniqueness of lords, taleworlds, you already nailed it in Warband. After all, why is it that some lords like Count Clias are stanned nearly as much as King Harlaus is, but hardly anyone can remember anything about Moramear Melidir?

Also, what happened to all of the music we hear in this demo. Much of it is not present in the current game. I think its really fitting, at least add it in taverns, because the 2 songs that bards play in any given tavern have gotten really tiresome.

That's all from me. I know that some of these issues seem really nitpicky, but they can go a long way in helping this game feel more like a medieval game, and most importantly, more like its predecessor.

Last edited:
Judging something off 30 minutes of gameplay can be misleading, I'm pretty sure mostly everyone would've enjoyed their first 30 minutes in the current Bannerlord

If you put 200 hours into the 2016 version I'm sure you'd find that sucks as much ass as 2021 Babberlord

The UI is definitely worse in that 2016 demo.

That is certainly one thing I noticed has improved since. It looks cheap and tacky, eerily reminiscent of Warbands ugly UI. Bannerlords current UI has more colour and more visual appeal to me.

The map also looks worse, it looks alot darker, blander, flatter, with inferior-looking geometry and the city labels also look tacky like Warband.

The geometry itself though probably plays better, there are too many linear mountains in Bannerlord as it stands, similar to how Shogun 2 thought it would be cool making every part of Japan a linear avenue so there is no actual room for flanking. Bannerlord lacks some nice flat open fields, every factions terrain is more or less the same ultimately.

Warband's lords also werent interesting, they only appear so for two main reasons: Warband had a couple more interactions and features than Bannerlord and 10 years of nostalgia builds up these lifeless characters as opposed to what is essentially a new game. There are lords in Bannerlord that I kinda like for no apparent reason in the same manner.

While Bannerlord is a bit underwhelming and disappointing, the reality is that alot of people are looking on the series with rose coloured glasses.

Warband is also a pretty dull game in retrospect, which makes it even more upsetting that Bannerlord feels exactly the same or somehow worse in areas.

Why do you consider Warband lords more unique? I mean they were the same in every game and there was much less of them so after plying like 10th time, you finally started to recognize couple of them and remember their names. But other then that there was nothing more unique on them then on those in Bannerlord. They did not had any unique dialogues, nor unique quests nor unique backgrounds.

They did not had any unique dialogues, nor unique quests nor unique backgrounds.
While the dialogs were reused between the lords as well the quests. You could tell a lot about a lord by how he responds to you in Warband. You could tell if they were honorable, dishonorable, or neutral. With bannerlord trait system, lords could have all sorts of personality. Yet nothing in game reflects that besides the encyclopedia.

Yet nothing in game reflects that besides the encyclopedia.

This has got to be one of the laziest worst decisions to relay information to the player ive ever seen in any sort of pseudo rpg. Even the term "encyclopedia" implies post medieval. They could have called it anything but just went with a general more modern term for an all encompassing book of static information. Just bad design.

This has got to be one of the laziest worst decisions to relay information to the player ive ever seen in any sort of pseudo rpg. Even the term "encyclopedia" implies post medieval. They could have called it anything but just went with a general more modern term for an all encompassing book of static information. Just bad design.
Yes, and the fact that everything is available at the start. Instead of adding information as you encounter it. A good system and gold sink could be an npc who would give you extra info for gold, like : merchant, gang leader or spymaster

While the dialogs were reused between the lords as well the quests. You could tell a lot about a lord by how he responds to you in Warband. You could tell if they were honorable, dishonorable, or neutral. With bannerlord trait system, lords could have all sorts of personality. Yet nothing in game reflects that besides the encyclopedia.

Not really. Not until you went to wiki and checked which response is "honorable" and which is "evil" to know who to release after the battle. If he mentioned "dog" then he was dishonorable.

That and when you have gained relations with random lords that you have newer met for no apparent reason.

Plus couple of other minor touches that did not have much impact on the game.

Btw. Bannerlord lords also have personalities, the whole personality aspect of the game is just not finished yet so their personalities does not really matter.

Last edited:
I remember the 2016 demo as being better only when we consider the A.I. characters looks, they look more diverse and more "real". I disagree with most of your opinions. Especially inventory icons are pretty low quality, certainly not better, maybe it's nostalgia from older games that makes you think it looks more medieval that way. They were obviously placeholders at the time.

"Bannertome of all Bannerthings" :smile:
You could suggest a better idea if you are criticizing. At least some modder might pick it up if it's good.
the whole personality aspect of the game is just not finished yet so their personalities does not really matter.
But that's the thing, dozens of small details like this are "not finished yet" and most of them won't be by Q4.

Why do you consider Warband lords more unique? I mean they were the same in every game and there was much less of them so after plying like 10th time, you finally started to recognize couple of them and remember their names. But other then that there was nothing more unique on them then on those in Bannerlord. They did not had any unique dialogues, nor unique quests nor unique backgrounds.
The same goes for every lord in Bannerlord. However, at least Warband Lords felt like they had handcrafted faces and names, not just randomly generated in each game like they feel in bannerlord.

The same goes for every lord in Bannerlord. However, at least Warband Lords felt like they had handcrafted faces and names, not just randomly generated in each game like they feel in bannerlord.
The lords and ladies in Bannerlord have handcrafted faces and names. They've been through a couple of revisions though.

(n) Disagree with every. Single. Point. Brought up by the OP, except that the towns ARE clearly depopulated. I don't know why they did this and it's vaguely depressing.

But that's the thing, dozens of small details like this are "not finished yet" and most of them won't be by Q4.

We don't know yet. In any case I have newer bothered to learn 90% of the personalities of the lords in the Warband anyway because they did basically nothing. All I ever needed to know was the thing about the "dog" in the capture dialogue. So this is certainly not a detail I am going to miss if it will be missing.

Of course if devs manage to make personalities actually do something meaningful and matter in the game mechanic, I would only welcome that.

Yes you could. But only if you have bothered to go to Wiki and learn what answer or reactions belongs to what character type. And because it did not really mater in the grander scheme of things, I really newer bothered. As I said, the only time I wanted to know it was when I had to decide if to release captured lord or not for the +relations. And once I have learned that dishonorable ones always use word dog, that was all I needed to know about whole personality thing.

Back
Top Bottom