Old gameplay looks great. Archery model is better. What happened?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi guys,

Watch this video:

If you view the footage in the video it seems that it's running an older archery model similar to Warband. Where you need to aim much higher and the arrows hold much more weight.

If you compare this to what we have in Bannerlord currently. It's a big difference. The current version is more like point and click and it's just so much simpler. When I first played Bannerlord I was so disappointed with this change the most. As we had already seen from gameplay shown at events that we would have this system similar to Warband. But it was somehow altered when it landed with us in early access.

Wanted to know if anyone knew any info about this?

Also look at just the way the weapons handle in general in this footage. There is a part at around "4 minutes 20 seconds" where he is swinging a two handed sword, hitting multiple enemies and the weapon just seems so much more weighty:

Idk the reason I am making this is just to just provide feedback and wonder if anyone else would have prefered the older archery style was used.

If you don't understand what I am getting at. Go and play Warband vanilla for 20 minutes and use a bow. Come back to Bannerlord and pick up a bow and do the same. You will immediately see what I mean. You literally just click and the arrow hits where you aim, there is no need to adjust for height unless the target is significantly further away, and it feels like there is no draw time... The knock and fire system just feels a lot worse to me...

Bannerlord archery to me just feels like a overly simplified system. It moved away from it's roots and made it more like an FPS and easy to hit. To me that is a negative. As it removed the learning curve and the fun. Now I find myself never wanting to use any ranged weapons.

Another original video:
See "1 minute 1 second" at him firing at the guys trying to climb the ladder etc.

Anyway what do you guys think?
Looking forward to reading you responses :smile:

Did you do what I said and load up vanilla Warband and use a bow for 20 minutes before you posted that? Your missing the whole point of the thread... Go and try it please
Your OP:
But it was somehow altered when it landed with us in early access.

Wanted to know if anyone knew any info about this?
That feature is called "vertical aim correction." You can disable it in options and aiming a bow becomes like Warband.

Not what I mean sorry guys. I am useless at explaining things. But the whole archery model in general is completely different to what was shown at E3 footage and Warband.

Bannerlord not only preps to fire differently, but also when you fire the arrow projectile behaves completely differently.

It's just not the same fluent and unique to Mount and Blade archery that we knew from previous games in the series.

It's now point and click and too easy.

Melee combat requires you to learn to get good at. Bow has now become just point where the target is and click and you hit.

Old thread where I explained this better before: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/archery-change-that-nobody-is-talking-about.392837/

The position of the camera or difference of aim between 3rd and 1st person is not the point I am trying to highlight...

Ok, now I understand, the fall of the arrow. Go to managed_core_parameters and look for the line <managed_core_parameter id="AirFrictionArrow" value="0.003"/>.

Raise it to 0.005 (backup firs the file ?)and start testing.

I just went and tried that setting. It's closer to what it was in Warband but the projectile behaviour is still completely different.

I can't quite put my finger on it. But it's just totally wrong.

It doesn't feel like Mount and Blade. Just feels like a really poor imitation of the old archery in Warband...

Also this means that some people who use the feature has laser aim, and if you turned it off you wouldn't. So the fact it was adjusted to calculate all the aiming for you was stupid to begin with xD

I just went and tried that setting. It's closer to what it was in Warband but the projectile behaviour is still completely different.

I can't quite put my finger on it. But it's just totally wrong.

It doesn't feel like Mount and Blade. Just feels like a really poor imitation of the old archery in Warband...

Also this means that some people who use the feature has laser aim, and if you turned it off you wouldn't. So the fact it was adjusted to calculate all the aiming for you was stupid to begin with xD
giphy.gif

I feel you and I hug you mate. I've been "testing" these things for a while. Unfortunately, one has to accept that some things (QoL, functions, mechanics, dynamics...etc) have been lost for good and the only thing we can do is to try to emulate them somehow through mods.

I feel you and I hug you mate. I've been "testing" these things for a while. Unfortunately, one has to accept that some things (QoL, functions, mechanics, dynamics...etc) have been lost for good and the only thing we can do is to try to emulate them somehow through mods.
I don't get who they are making this game for...

Clearly not people who played Warband.

To be honest this can be applied to gaming in general. The world has gone mad with dumbing stuff down and removing all the learning curve from it for the sake of "accessibility".

So I will just go back to Bannerlord pretending it's a melee only game. I'm happier that way lol

Those videos look exactly like how I shoot in Bannerlord. I've never tried the aim correction though.
I will say though, eventually your aim will change with skill/bow and you don't have to arch as high at medium distances.

You can disable vertical aim correction from gameplay options.
cool, i learned something useful today =)

And back to OP i could say most ranged weapons feels diferent, IE trowing axes, well most trowing weapons feel and are useless now, back in warbands you can play like a huskarl in MP playing as nords and killing horsemen with trowing axes, it a shame

Last edited:
The best way to point out the difference. Is look at the TRAIL the arrows or axes etc leave when you throw them. It looks like a freaking shooting star. It's like they added this trail and also changed how the arrow / weapon physics work.

It's just so much worse than what was shown in E3 trailers and in Warband.
It feels weightless, it has laser aim (with that aim correction turned on) and even if you turn it off - well other players will be using it, so they have a competitive advantage over you if you prefer to not use it.

(PS: I am grateful steps seem to have been made to improve the feature. Namely the option to use a different reticule closer to Warband. And removal of the vertical aim assist. But for me it doesnt go far enough, doesn't solve the issue that the archery feels off).

But mainly it's just how it FEELS in general. It's too easy to pick up with no learning curve it's just point and click and removes the fun.
And it no longer feels like a unique system to Mount & Blade that made it stand out. Now it's just a dumbed down version that does the game no favours tbh.

As I said I am a long time Warband player, and I used to love using ranged weapons frequently. In Bannerlord it feels so bad I just stop using them and act like they don't exist. Which is a real shame.

I don't use mods, and whenever people tell me to just use X mod to fix it. Why should we have to? This is meant to be a sequel why is the systems so drastically different that I need to mod them in the first place?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom