Cavalry is overpowered

Is Cavalry OP?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I'd argue that cav in itself is fine, but it's interactions with other classes (read: infantry) are bad right now.

to fix:
  1. Stopping horses with spears needs to be more consistent (though there are some cases where it's biased in favor of infantry as well, which should be removed as well IMO).
  2. Onehanded weapons need to deal proper damage to horses
  3. Couched Lances need some adjustments (Cooldown, max duration of about 3-4 seconds, maybe reduce the horses maneuverability during)

Last edited:
avrc said with the "monday patch" infantry will get a buff for spears and shields and such, possibly making them viable against cav. I would like to see and try this patch myself before making assumptions but only thing op with cavalry in my view is that horses tank so much 1h weapon damage.

I personally don't think Cavalry belongs in modes like Skirmish, TDM, or Siege. They are basically super-heroes compared to your standard infantry, moving at blinding speeds and being super tanky establishes them as a powerhouse unit with incredible versatility. In captain mode as a group they are very underwhelming and mainly only used to distract other groups of units, or used as Rambo cav by players only using 1 unit at a time rather than the whole group of units which kinda defeats the whole point of the gamemode. I wouldn't call them overpowered atleast for Captain Mode, but I can see why so many people have issues with them in the other modes as quite frankly their playstyle doesn't match the tempo or limitations of other units within Skirmish, tdm, or siege.

I'd argue that cav in itself is fine, but it's interactions with other classes (read: infantry) are bad right now.

Don't think so myself, its armour, damage dealing, speed, and movement are all incredibly strong. Inf being able to stop them more consistently is good but as long as cav have all of these advantages they will continue to dominate.

Stop them being able to use shield when dismounted. Stop super long knockdown. Why could lances used for couching be used multiple times? Why can such lances be used for stabbing people close range with no speed bonus?

It is too forgiving. In the hands of an okay player it rewards them too much, in the hands of a really good player, you get top score every time

light horse are ok you can kill the horse and rider relatively easy, is the heavy horse that feel ridiculers right now. actually heavy horse was out perform in warband as well it just in warband's format nobody can constant afford armor horses and gears.

is bannerlord class system make it happen in every round of game. personally i think armor horse rider should only have 1 spawn per turn or at most with a peasant class, this will make people chose light horse much more, while only really good horse player can play armor knight.

Sound cues need to be better. So many times i get surprises by a hit in the back that i didnt hear coming. This should be the top priority, if we could properly hear them coming we'd be able to turn and face them in time.

Glancing blows needs to be removed vs horses, Weapons are always bouncing on horses

Maps need to stop being made by cavalry lovers, even the siege maps are oriented towards cavalry. Siege should be a safe space where we are free from stupid op cavalry. It makes sieges look goofy as heck when they should be about shield walls vs archers

Cavalry move too fast, deals Too Much damage, has too Much armor and get zero punishment when played by bad players. Any terrible player Will Do 3 to 4 kills each spawns.

Hitboxes are ridiculous on horseback its like your 3 ft long Sword becomed 6 ft long and this makes 2h Weapons such as glaive and menav ridiculously op on cav.

Getting reared at high speed should throw the Rider on the Ground.

Make cavalry a difficult class to Play, not the easiest.

Cavalry sucks all the fun out of TDM and siège, especially TDM.

Knock downs needs to only happen at MAXIMUM speed.

Last edited:
Sound cues need to be better. So many times i get surprises by a hit in the back that i didnt hear coming.

Part of this is the speed issue, they travel quickly across ground and I imagine the sound is at least somewhat tied to the animation of hooves hitting the ground. If the horse travels 100m between sounds (and flies through the air for some of it as it levitates across bumps) that skews a lot of the sound cues.

Every single game mode is dominated by cav. You fought well on a fair siege match? That's wonderful. But **** you here comes 15 horses and you will lose G. It's frustrating how often this has happend in recent months.

The F pressing elite is made here and it is awful to ruin such a "skill based" game with such a stupid feature.
People that literally can't block a single hit in melee combat suddenly become top players.

Horses charging inside buildings and on castle walls.
You die to horsebumps by straying horses as they do not despawn and wildly run around in the map + beeing constantly available for everyone that can't afford a new one. Why is there no general limit on available cav on each mode?
And why are horse HP still not adjusted? They still take several hits to head/legs and run off as nothing has happend.

Hello,

I would like to once again suggest my proposed cavalry changes from August 2019 - https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/b0-1-0-infantry-ranger-and-cavalry-balance.386380/

A few things don't apply anymore because of changes to the game but basically all of my points are still accurate.

The following would help to balance cav:
- Increase time it takes cavalry to stand up after being dismounted and remove their ability to block as they get up.
- Slightly increase time before horses can move after being reared.
- Reduce the knockdown time of a full bump.

There is also the matter that in close range, with slow moving and stationary horses, infantry seem to do very little damage to the horse while the cavalry player can deal a lot of damage with limited momentum. In my opinion the momentum/speed modifier for damage should be reduced, reducing both the ability for cavalry to deal immense damage at full speed and the ability of archers/xbows to devastate horses very quickly in the open. This would also somewhat equalise the relation between how much damage cavalry can do to infantry compared to how much damage infantry can do to cavalry. This is because infantry are often hitting a horse when it is stationary or slow moving, so they rarely have the benefit of the speed modifier which cavalry often have. It is quite rare against a competent player to land clean hits as infantry on a fast moving horse, so although a reduction in the momentum modifier would theoretically affect both infantry and cavalry, in practical terms the effect on cavalry is much more significant.

I also think that the "cleave" through horses to hit the rider in Warband was a serious disincentive for cavalry to hang around at low speeds in engagements, because an infantry could hit both the horse and the rider in one hit. I think this is possible in Bannerlord at certain angles, but it is not the norm and most of the time an infantry only hits the horse. Increasing the frequency and ease with which infantry hit both the rider and the horse would be another nerf to cavalry which would not require a reduction in the HP of the horse. Personally I don't think horse HP should go down because that makes them more vulnerable to archers, and archers can already take a horse out quite quickly, but instead other changes should be looked at to redefine the balance between cavalry and infantry.

Personally I don't think horse HP should go down because that makes them more vulnerable to archers, and archers can already take a horse out quite quickly, but instead other changes should be looked at to redefine the balance between cavalry and infantry.
The fact that archers are OP should not stop the nerf hammer on Cavalry. Archers are shooting like guns and horses are tanks. Both must be nerfed.

Not too sure where I'd put cavalry tbh. I can acknowledge that the light cavalry units are usually extremely fragile but their damage output makes up for it. I can agree that sound cues could use improvement cuz getting shanked from behind by kontos is not ideal but at the same time, I feel like they should have increased survivability and offensive power specifically against archers. Yeah, i'm still sticking to my idea of giving cavalry situational flinch immunity against ranged attacks.

At the very least, cavalry seems more difficult to use compared to Warband but definitely much more rewarding, and spears/pikes still do well enough to act as a cavalry counter. Meanwhile, archers still turn the damn game into a tactical shooter.

Not too sure where I'd put cavalry tbh. I can acknowledge that the light cavalry units are usually extremely fragile but their damage output makes up for it. I can agree that sound cues could use improvement cuz getting shanked from behind by kontos is not ideal but at the same time, I feel like they should have increased survivability and offensive power specifically against archers. Yeah, i'm still sticking to my idea of giving cavalry situational flinch immunity against ranged attacks.

At the very least, cavalry seems more difficult to use compared to Warband but definitely much more rewarding, and spears/pikes still do well enough to act as a cavalry counter. Meanwhile, archers still turn the damn game into a tactical shooter.

Spears and pikes are not good enough because of the sound cue issue. When a spear inf is facing the cavalry charging him, more often than not hes gonna win the trade. I never feel in danger when i have the cavalry in my line of sight. The problem is, sometimes they sneak up behind me with their huge armored horse without me hearing them properly in my headset. I start hearing the sound and by the time i turn around i have a lance thrusting 2 feets off target to the right of my head.

Back
Top Bottom