An open letter to the competitive community

Users who are viewing this thread

You don't understand that this is DEVELOPER'S job to improve and balance game not community's. We are not testers here. We already paid money for the game. They can ask things like that during free beta test but we already PAID a full price for game. So why we must tolerate uninteresting gameplay during 8 weeks? Why developers can't host their own tournament?

Frankly Argentum is right, there was a lot of time during the alpha and beta periods for tests like this and basically all of the complaints being made about balance were being made during that period as well but weren’t addressed because TW believed the community was wrong. People have paid for Early Access and it is not the community’s responsibility to improve the game for TW, even though there was/is a lot of goodwill to help with that for over a year and a half. I don’t see why BEAST can’t continue by its normal rules while TW host their own uncapped tournament.

There are some really bizarre things said on here so lets be real shall we?

Teams wont play several different tournaments at once. So if AVRC did run his own tourney BEAST would stop for the duration. Basically for teams it would be the same choice, play without class limits or don't participate.

Hopefully no-one here really wants or expects the devs to spend their time running a tournament. If you do it properly it is a huge time investment and I for one would rather the small MP dev team was working on the game.

It doesn't matter what the name of the tournament is. What we need right now is a tournament that has already separated the teams into groups by skill and can run as the teams expect but without class restrictions.

We can very easily make the tournament shorter by simply dividing the teams into smaller groups. It is all about where you draw the line (as Mason said to Dixon) and that is fairly arbitrary.

why is it that everyone is happy to play without class limits anywhere but BEAST?
Maybe players who main as infantry are suddenly forced to play a class they are not familiar with suddenly? I mean the balance issue is so grotesque it wouldn't surprise me the winner of the beast tournament could be a clan that relied on exploiting the balance issue.

Kind of a bummer i would guess

While I agree it's good to work with TW and help them balance the game, I also agree with @Gibby Jr that there has been a lot of chances and feedback for this already over the past nearly 2 years.

And at the end of the day, whether the doomsdayers are right and it's 3 archers 3 cav, or people like myself are right and inf still have a place, the ultimate result is going to be that cav are OP, the argument is just about to what extent. So instead of trying to bend the current tournament to prove what we all know to be true, why not recognise this feedback and make some larger changes to cav rather than minor stat tweaks and slightly better spears? Especially now that they are set up for faster changes (finally), they could be a lot braver and make more dramatic changes.

While I know balance is often a difficult line to try to find, any competitive player could tell you they could completely remove the heavy cav class entirely and cav would still be incredibly influential. With that kind of leeway there is a lot of options for changes without having to worry about breaking the game.

There are some really bizarre things said on here so lets be real shall we?

Teams wont play several different tournaments at once. So if AVRC did run his own tourney BEAST would stop for the duration. Basically for teams it would be the same choice, play without class limits or don't participate.

Hopefully no-one here really wants or expects the devs to spend their time running a tournament. If you do it properly it is a huge time investment and I for one would rather the small MP dev team was working on the game.

It doesn't matter what the name of the tournament is. What we need right now is a tournament that has already separated the teams into groups by skill and can run as the teams expect but without class restrictions.

We can very easily make the tournament shorter by simply dividing the teams into smaller groups. It is all about where you draw the line (as Mason said to Dixon) and that is fairly arbitrary.

I hope Community Management would run a company sponsored tournament, though with TW I suppose coders and artists might end up running it. The event could still be run by members of the community, it is the incentive that is rather necessary, if useful data is to be collected.

Depending on how many teams sign-up and the format, the tournament could be concluded in 2-3 weeks. Given the 1-2 week gap between BEAST tournaments and that the finals match only diverts two team's attention away, I'd imagine BEAST would be delayed by no more than a week, two at most.

I think the fear is people associate BEAST as one of the only competitive or "good" events in Bannerlord, and right now it's better that people think and remember how fun/competitive BEAST tournaments were/are than how frustrating/unbalanced that one BEAST tournament is/was.

Though I agree delaying BEAST for any significant time would be a very unwise idea.

I hope Community Management would run a company sponsored tournament, though with TW I suppose coders and artists might end up running it. The event could still be run by members of the community, it is the incentive that is rather necessary, if useful data is to be collected.

Depending on how many teams sign-up and the format, the tournament could be concluded in 2-3 weeks. Given the 1-2 week gap between BEAST tournaments and that the finals match only diverts two team's attention away, I'd imagine BEAST would be delayed by no more than a week, two at most.

I think the fear is people associate BEAST as one of the only competitive or "good" events in Bannerlord, and right now it's better that people think and remember how fun/competitive BEAST tournaments were/are than how frustrating/unbalanced that one BEAST tournament is/was.

Though I agree delaying BEAST for any significant time would be a very unwise idea.

2-3 week tourney means 4 teams per division. Also it means every faction apperas ionce.
Unless you play multiple matches per week. But that won't happen.

Wanna give my opinion even though probs doesnt really matter, i said to my team which they all agree if restrictions would be removed we would give it a go but if the games are unbearable and fustrating we would simply drop out as i am not willing dragging my team through 8 weeks of torture. So if this does happen i am all for trying but if the games are a joke of 6 cav running around everywhere we mayaswell be playing normal skirm.

Wanna give my opinion even though probs doesnt really matter, i said to my team which they all agree if restrictions would be removed we would give it a go but if the games are unbearable and fustrating we would simply drop out as i am not willing dragging my team through 8 weeks of torture. So if this does happen i am all for trying but if the games are a joke of 6 cav running around everywhere we mayaswell be playing normal skirm.
Probably its gonne be 4 cavs and 2 archers/xbows with most teams.. But yeah its a joke really, theres no fun in it xD

2-3 week tourney means 4 teams per division. Also it means every faction apperas ionce.
Unless you play multiple matches per week. But that won't happen.

From what I gather, the purpose of the tournament is to have quantifiable evidence of what tactics/units are most effective in a purely competitive environment.

To achieve this, the teams selected need to consist of the highest level of competitive gameplay Bannerlord currently has, seeding and inviting eight teams based on previous BEAST results would assure this best. The tournament then formatted as single elimination should mean it concludes in 3 weeks.

Alternatively, it could be extended to sixteen teams over four weeks, however due to the skill disparity of teams the amount of statistically relevant matches would likely be the same as a smaller, shorter eight team tournament.

Also, what do you mean by every faction appears once? My knowledge of BEAST's tournament format is somewhat limited.

why is it that everyone is happy to play without class limits anywhere but BEAST?
Coz some young guys like to fap. And many guys here like to jerk off on badges with Number 1 on it. If they play Beast without limits and lost it, they couldn't fap! But when they play DM pickups they fap on another things - their stats. If you play good enough in pickups, technically, you could become the fap source for yourself. Win-win story!

The time when the BEAST was the only tournament is long gone by. Price pool tournaments aswell as the ENL and Weekend Cup are already here and many more will come. If the devs want to collect data, they could host a few weekend tournaments with maybe the best teams first and then different compositions to gather their data. The BEAST for me is the tournament where the imbalance gets countered as much as possible and it is a place for new people to arrive in the competitive scene and you can meet more people. It is not the most competitive tournament and shouldn't be

why not recognise this feedback and make some larger changes to cav rather than minor stat tweaks and slightly better spears? Especially now that they are set up for faster changes (finally), they could be a lot braver and make more dramatic changes.
I agree. Removing couches or make them less effective by reducing their damage, making longer pauses between couches, removing infinite couching, reduce horses HP by 50 or make literally every weapon more effective against horses, except for bows and xbows. Some examples of what a "bigger" change could be

Back
Top Bottom