Not playing til the game is completed

Users who are viewing this thread

I think TW has a pretty good idea what people on these forums want, but I honestly don't think they give a ****. Ofc I could be wrong. :wink:
I think it's less about giving a ****, and more about having their own vision for the game, which does not necessarily align with what the people want. (whatever "the people" is)

The problem right now is not that they don't care about player's opinions ('cause sometimes they listen) or that they're following their own plan.
The problem is this game is too slow in development, there aren't many interesting updates since March 2020 and most of us simply "finished" the game several months ago.
I love this game, but it seems developed by a single person, not a game studio.

The problem right now is not that they don't care about player's opinions ('cause sometimes they listen) or that they're following their own plan.
The problem is this game is too slow in development, there aren't many interesting updates since March 2020 and most of us simply "finished" the game several months ago.
I love this game, but it seems developed by a single person, not a game studio.

Couldn't agree more! TW had what 10 times the people working on the game compared to Warband (budget atleast at the same scale). It's okay for us to expect more and better from TW, and it's actually their own lack of ambition which dissapoints me the most.

Couldn't agree more! TW had what 10 times the people working on the game compared to Warband (budget atleast at the same scale). It's okay for us to expect more and better from TW, and it's actually their own lack of ambition which dissapoints me the most.
I think their ambition is alright, they just dont care about their niche of players, they went for an updated Warband vanilla experience instead of going deeper and adding stuff like being a soldier in another lords army.

They want to get a broader audience and they want to release on consoles just to milk more money. Just think about how many people on their team are probaby working to release the game on consoles, they already lack resources to fix the game and add content, they already needed to hire more people, and on top of that, they plan to release on consoles, draining even more resources. Its pretty damn clear that modders will have to make Bannerlord achieve its full potential since TW upper management doesnt care.

"Until Taleworlds gets their act together"?

That's... not really a good sentiment you've got here. If Taleworlds DIDN'T have their act together, they wouldn't be releasing patches at all. They would leave the game in an incomplete state forever (and effectively prove the people who claimed "this was a lazily made cash grab released under Early Access to ward off criticism!" right).

Look, I get the frustration. I know I've been annoyed by the number of times I've had to redownload mods because of patches. But it's an unfinished game, which means regular updates. (In fact, as I recall, this is the entire reason TaleWorlds was reluctant to support modding right away, and still hasn't released Steam Workshop support.) They are doing their jobs as game developers. And if Taleworlds stopped updating the game, imo that would make them look worse as devs, not better.

"Until Taleworlds gets their act together"?

That's... not really a good sentiment you've got here. If Taleworlds DIDN'T have their act together, they wouldn't be releasing patches at all. They would leave the game in an incomplete state forever (and effectively prove the people who claimed "this was a lazily made cash grab released under Early Access to ward off criticism!" right).

Look, I get the frustration. I know I've been annoyed by the number of times I've had to redownload mods because of patches. But it's an unfinished game, which means regular updates. (In fact, as I recall, this is the entire reason TaleWorlds was reluctant to support modding right away, and still hasn't released Steam Workshop support.) They are doing their jobs as game developers. And if Taleworlds stopped updating the game, imo that would make them look worse as devs, not better.

Mods are what make this game, it doesn't seem they were too reluctant as they supported mods quickly and focused mod tools over the base game. They need mods to make up for what they lack. It's a pretty common sentiment that TW isn't handling this well or coming off as very competent developers at the moment

If you want to play with mods, then pick a version and stick to it. Of course upgrading to the latest beta patches will break your campaign.

Waiting until the game is out of EA is probably the best option if you want the best experience with your favorite mods.

It's definitely taught me not to buy early-access games, when I bought it I naively assumed that meant it was basically complete but still a bit buggy.

I've still gotten countless hours of enjoyment out of it over this past year of lockdowns and isolation. I'm sure I'll be playing it for many years to come.

It's definitely taught me not to buy early-access games, when I bought it I naively assumed that meant it was basically complete but still a bit buggy.
You assumed... Or were you led to believe something that just wasn't so?

Take a look at this:
Interview/gameplay from Gamescom 2019

The video begins in German but they start speaking in English Soon after. Start the video at 2:00 - here Armagan says: "[The game] will be very playable and pretty much everything will be working."

Armagan later says: "We thought that the game is so complex that it would be better if we get feedback from players because it's an open ended game[...] We'll need feedback from players to make sure everything's balanced and everything's working [...] but the content will be there."

I love this game, even in the state that it is in, but... Come on. Did they really need more than one person to tell them that the game wasn't balanced? That not everything was working? These words that were said in this interview were, and are, completely disconnected from the reality of the EA version of Bannerlord. This interview (and others) made it seem like this game was pretty much done and just needed a few tweaks here and there for those "unforeseeable bugs" that arise in big and complex games.

Assumed... Or misled?

FYI: they are planning(or hoping) to be out of EA before the end of 2021. So this kinda gives you a rough idea how much more features will be added into the game when it's out of EA.

FYI: they are planning(or hoping) to be out of EA before the end of 2021. So this kinda gives you a rough idea how much more features will be added into the game when it's out of EA.
They also said they don't want to stick to a time-frame and the game will be ready when it is ready; so expect that date to be pushed back significantly.

Mods are what make this game, it doesn't seem they were too reluctant as they supported mods quickly and focused mod tools over the base game. They need mods to make up for what they lack. It's a pretty common sentiment that TW isn't handling this well or coming off as very competent developers at the moment

It is true that Taleworlds made this game with the intention of it being mod-friendly, and that there were mods from the start. However, they didn’t officially support it right away. The official mod tools were not released until several months later (likely because they need to ensure they worked properly). And they still haven’t given Steam Workshop support.

On another note, I wonder how many people are aware that Warband was also an unfinished mess upon release, and needed additional updates after release (funded by early sales) to make it into the game we know today...

And they think the game is almost ready. What you and me envisioning about the game isn't shared with TW management and employees.

Well said. Like how it was declared in the 1.5.5 hotfix notes that crafted weapons won't show up as tournament prizes anymore, the same repeated in 1.5.6 patch notes. I start a new game with 1.5.7, and as soon as I craft a two hand sword, it shows up as a tournament prize.

Back
Top Bottom