Changing culture after conquest

Users who are viewing this thread

Does anyone know if changing culture after conquest is planned / announced by TW?

For me it's such an important feature in a sandbox. And it's not just that, current features like rebellions, loyalty or recruitment very much rely on culture, so if changing culture becomes a thing these features need to be balanced around it plus additional mechanics. For me it would be one of the top priorities.

Generally, if you conquer a settlement there should be a way to change culture over time. This process could be accelerated with building projects, perks and skills, governors and policies. Until conversion is finished, you face a higher risk of rebellions because people don't identify themselves with their leaders (lower loyalty). The other obvious effect would be the ability to recruit troops of your own culture.
You could also add all sorts of other side effects, for example that your kingdom policies are more efficient when the settlement has your culture.

If party speed penalties get applied when you are in enemy / neutral territory this should be affected by culture as well:

Example: You conquer a settlement you get -20 speed penalty in that territory because it's not your culture. This also means that the former owner of the settlement has an advantage in these lands until culture changes and the speed penalty no longer applies to you.

I think it should also be possible to play completely different though. Maybe you don't want to assimilate but prefer cultural diversity. This could also have benefits like a larger pool of troop types. If you allow people to keep their cultural identity it could also mean they rebel less. At the same time it might be a better target for the former owner because they already share their culture.

Or you mix both, assimilate settlements at your border but allow people to remain their culture in a settlement far away.

Obviously it's not realistic that culture of a settlement changes within a few years, but for gameplay reasons the whole campaign speed is already increased anyway so I guess it would fit the pace of the game.

Assimilating or ethnically cleansing. Nasty business that.
giphy.gif

Culture change over time could be done, where initially you can only recruit troops of the original culture, but over a period of years, more and more of the recruits are available with your own culture. Whether you could choose to recruit only your own culture, the original culture, or both is subject to debate. This could be sped up or slowed by various laws or buildings, each with a plus and minus side to them, trading off assimilation for reduced tax revenue, dissent and possible revolt, reduced recruitment chance, and so on. In essence, you wouldn't see a total conversion over the course of the game, but your descendants a generation or two down the road might live to see your own culture become dominant, even though the original culture would never disappear completely.

I'm not at all in favor of being able to change a culture in a village or town instantly, or to have it suddenly switch from all of one to all of another after some period of delay. People don't wake up in the morning and suddenly say "Well, it's the 18th of July, so now I'm a ....

so, if i as vlandia destroy the sturgian and conquer their land, after a while i will not be able to recruit sturgian troops in the cities that i conquered? i dont know if i would like not having "viking" units in my campaign anymore

I use mods for this, I have my own custom troop tree, makes the game more fun. One major issue with a lack of culture change is that armies like the Roman Empire did not adapt to fighting the same way as the Parthians or the Germanic tribes did. It's just not viable to have nomadic horse archers, crossbowman, Germanic archers, and Empire troops mixed together in the same army, it's rather stupid honestly.

Last edited:
so, if i as vlandia destroy the sturgian and conquer their land, after a while i will not be able to recruit sturgian troops in the cities that i conquered? i dont know if i would like not having "viking" units in my campaign anymore
That's why I said it would be nice if both (keeping culture and changing culture) would be viable.

I'm not at all in favor of being able to change a culture in a village or town instantly, or to have it suddenly switch from all of one to all of another after some period of delay. People don't wake up in the morning and suddenly say "Well, it's the 18th of July, so now I'm a ....
It should definitely take some time. I am not sure how long it should take though. Several generations would be more realistic but I don't know if it would be good for gameplay.
Something like 5 years maybe sounds too fast, but it would be well in line with the general speed of the game. Realistically you don't capture 5 castles in a few months either...

It should definitely take some time. I am not sure how long it should take though. Several generations would be more realistic but I don't know if it would be good for gameplay.
I mean, you don't have to change people's culture completely to reform their troops and make them "okay" with being under a new rule (aka remove the negative effects from being conquered by a different culture), so I think a couple of years is not that little and may be enough.

I really think this is would be a great addition and would really expand the rebellion mechanic and could really help with snowballing also. Expanding to fast would have this compound if you are trying to curb multiple castles/towns over to your rule. It would also be nice if it went down to the village level as well. Having quests about village unrest due to them not excepting the new owners.

I wish TW would make this step in the future updates. I expected something like this when you see something similar in total war and crusader kings. TW has underperformed for me with this EA status so this will likely be on my list for "reasons BL disappointed me and im just waiting for mods".

I wish TW would make this step in the future updates. I expected something like this when you see something similar in total war and crusader kings. TW has underperformed for me with this EA status so this will likely be on my list for "reasons BL disappointed me and im just waiting for mods".

The timescale of Total War games is centuries. The timescale of Bannerlord is barely a generation.

There are two main types of cultural change historically... the first is the literal replacement of culture through expulsion or elimination of people, and the second is where a culture changes to align better with a change in rulers' culture without the change of people.

The first is surprisingly uncommon. The second is by far the more common, but it takes time - sometimes a long time... Sometimes there is a combination of the two: After a thousand years of sporadic Turkish rule, in 1920 there were still large culturally Greek populations in Anatolia. There are still Coptic populations in Egypt after 1300 years of Arab rule. There are still people who speak Irish in Ireland after 800 odd years of English cultural dominance. It does happen faster sometimes, but that involves deliberate action on the part of the new ruler, and that leads to civil unrest, and it seems to me that would be unlikely to be even possible in a feudal system.

The timescale of Total War games is centuries. The timescale of Bannerlord is barely a generation.

There are two main types of cultural change historically... the first is the literal replacement of culture through expulsion or elimination of people, and the second is where a culture changes to align better with a change in rulers' culture without the change of people.

The first is surprisingly uncommon. The second is by far the more common, but it takes time - sometimes a long time... Sometimes there is a combination of the two: After a thousand years of sporadic Turkish rule, in 1920 there were still large culturally Greek populations in Anatolia. There are still Coptic populations in Egypt after 1300 years of Arab rule. There are still people who speak Irish in Ireland after 800 odd years of English cultural dominance. It does happen faster sometimes, but that involves deliberate action on the part of the new ruler, and that leads to civil unrest, and it seems to me that would be unlikely to be even possible in a feudal system.

Im aware of how it happens but this is still a game. Changes should shift the world. That's the whole issue with this game. Nothing really changes when you make major shifts in the game (becoming a lord, creating kingdom, killing rulers, eliminating a faction, etc.). I want at the least customization of your troops after taking over a settlement. Caravans, large armies, wanderers should all cause some small shift on a lowly manned city or settlement.

Im aware of how it happens but this is still a game. Changes should shift the world. That's the whole issue with this game. Nothing really changes when you make major shifts in the game (becoming a lord, creating kingdom, killing rulers, eliminating a faction, etc.). I want at the least customization of your troops after taking over a settlement. Caravans, large armies, wanderers should all cause some small shift on a lowly manned city or settlement.

Mods save the day: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2482

Back
Top Bottom