Mexxico, I'd value and appreciate your opinion on implementing Casus Belli in Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
So, I have just gotten back into the game, wanting to see how it plays now after the 1.5.6 update.

The snowballing is MUCH better. I am finally able to play as a Sturgian vassal. The game really has improved!

but there is a but coming... when I am playing , war declarations feel completely random and a bit silly.... without a reason being given for the war. Having an idea why war has been declared would make the world feel much more real.

Warband had this ( in a very basic and limited way) , Bannerlord does not have it at all (so far).

I think this mechanic could be added without too much effort.

What do you think @mexxico - is it doable?

So, I have just gotten back into the game, wanting to see how it plays now after the 1.5.6 update.

The snowballing is MUCH better. I am finally able to play as a Sturgian vassal. The game really has improved!

but there is a but coming... when I am playing , war declarations feel completely random and a bit silly.... without a reason being given for the war. Having an idea why war has been declared would make the world feel much more real.

Warband had this ( in a very basic and limited way) , Bannerlord does not have it at all (so far).

I think this mechanic could be added without too much effort.

What do you think @mexxico?
Looks like he will be working on something like that soon.

Also we did several works / tests / calculations with @Blood Gryphon one week ago about war & peace, I gave him data and he helped me analsysed it and prepaired very useful tables. I will share their results soon. One new good news is I suggested showing reasons of war / peace votings to player and it is approved. So we will be showing why a voting is started by a clan about war / peace probably 2 patches later. It will be something like "We should declare war aganist X because we have stronger armies compared to them and we can enlarge our territories" or "We should make peace aganist X because currently we are at war aganist several enemies". Of course there will be 4-5 different war & peace reasons with better wording & grammer.

Yes. I suggested it (only showing war reasons to player) at meetings and it is approved. Will work on it at January probably you could see this feature at game in February.

Edit : You will only see why a voting is started. Clan will give reason for starting a voting.

Last edited:
Edit : You will only see why a voting is started. Clan will give reason for starting a voting.
So correct me if I am wrong. if the war or peace decision would be made we will see the reason in voting. My question is are we going to choose or create a casus belli to propose war/peace decision? Or this will be limited on AI? HoI4 kind of casus belli system could be good, but I am not sure how to implement it to game.

You guys are being naive. "We're stronger", "enemy is weak", "we can expand" are not casus belli. It's a result of npc power calculation, whereas what the player base wants is - clan stole daughter, villagers stole cattle and got massacred, merchants attacked, lord was insulted, lord lost a game of dice - kind of casus belli. Something a player can help provoke, or avert.

You guys are being naive. "We're stronger", "enemy is weak", "we can expand" are not casus belli. It's a result of npc power calculation, whereas what the player base wants is - clan stole daughter, villagers stole cattle and got massacred, merchants attacked, lord was insulted, lord lost a game of dice - kind of casus belli. Something a player can help provoke, or avert.

Unfortunately ones you mentioned will not be in game after this point. You are right and this kind of reasons could be better. I suggested this years ago maybe 5-6 years ago. Suggestion had these : Having some agrressive lords and king cannot control them. They will raid a neutral village and sometimes after this new war will be initiated. Or a lord will attack a neutral caravan after some point a war will be initiated or entering neutral kingdom territory can be war a reason. Or more solid reasons like them... If kings do not want problem they will kick these agressive lords from kingdom. These did not accepted at these years and in current state of game we cannot add these anymore. Game moved in different direction. So reasons will be something like : They captured our lands we should take them back or we have good power and Sturgians have more territory we should attack them, ....

So please lower your expectations about this feature. Sorry.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this will not be in game after this point. You are right and this kind of reasons could be better. I suggested this years ago maybe 5-6 years ago. Suggestion had these : Having some agrressive lords and king cannot control them. They will raid a neutral village and sometimes after this new war will be initiated. Or a lord will attack a neutral caravan after some point a war will be initiated or entering neutral kingdom territory can be war a reason. Or more solid reasons like them... These did not accepted at these years and in current state of game we cannot add these anymore. Game moved in different direction. So reasons will be something like : They captured our lands we should take them back or we have good power and Sturgians have more territory we should attack them, ....

So please lower your expectations about this feature. Sorry.
Better than nothing!

+1
Exactly that, that's the kind of Casus Belli you'd expect.

giphy.gif

----
Lol...I just read Mexxico's commentary...? I imagine a lot of meetings in the big room...Can we introduce this mechanic? Uhmmm too complicated...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom