Anyone using Windows 10 Pro having full system crashes?

Users who are viewing this thread

So, I am now working at home and got my work rig with me, it is a beast compared to my own PC I was playing this game on and was built for 3D rendering software.

MSI MEG Z390 Godlike MB
Intel 9900T, 16M cache 4.40Ghz
Extreem ARGB DDR4-3600MHZ, 64GB (4x16)
2x SLI EVGA GTX1070 FTW
Rosewill CAPSTONE 1000m-2 1000W PSU
Windows 10 Pro (popped my own SB Z-Live into it)

The game is being played from a SSD NVME2 970 Evo.

Somehow, with this beast, while playing this game and ONLY this game, I will get an occasional full system crash. It will just power off all of a sudden and turn back on. No over-heating going on with any piece of hardware...in fact, the system is barely sweating at all while playing. All system and Bios drivers are up to date. All system diagnostic tools I have used to check the hardware and HDDs are showing zero issues, faults.

So, after doing some searching I have seen some people posting here about full system crashes...but most of those posts are months old. Anyone still experiencing this? or is this an issue with Windows 10 Pro? The OS is the biggest difference between my PC which had no crashes, and this one.

My old PC with no issues is
Asrock B250 Pro4 Motherboard
Intel I7 7700T 2.9ghz
32BG (16x2) Extreem ARGB DDR4-3600MHZ
SSD NVME2 970 Evo x2
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
SoundBlaster Z live
Running Windows 7

Full system crash sounds more like an hardware thing then an soft

Yes, if you have full system crash there is probably something else. Check your temps. I would recommend HWhardware to check all your components.

It is not a temperature issue. I use CPUIDs HWMonitor AND HWiNFO at the same time, precision X1 for the video cards and I have a PCOM infrared thermometer as well which I used to ensure it was not the issue. The hardware never comes remotely close to being too hot.

From what I understand, once hardware has been removed from being a possible issue, either from heat, lack of power, drivers being outdated or critical hardware failures the remaining possibilities are. 1. OS incompatibilities. 2. Game causing a critical error in software to hardware or software to OS communications causing the system to try to protect itself via shutdown.

I know it is not my hardware 100%. I allowed 3DMark's Time Spy to bring the GPUs to their knees via running it 3 cycles. I used Prime95 to test the CPU and cooling and again zero issues at all.

It is not a temperature issue. I use CPUIDs HWMonitor AND HWiNFO at the same time, precision X1 for the video cards and I have a PCOM infrared thermometer as well which I used to ensure it was not the issue. The hardware never comes remotely close to being too hot.

From what I understand, once hardware has been removed from being a possible issue, either from heat, lack of power, drivers being outdated or critical hardware failures the remaining possibilities are. 1. OS incompatibilities. 2. Game causing a critical error in software to hardware or software to OS communications causing the system to try to protect itself via shutdown.

I know it is not my hardware 100%. I allowed 3DMark's Time Spy to bring the GPUs to their knees via running it 3 cycles. I used Prime95 to test the CPU and cooling and again zero issues at all.

Well looking at your reply I can assume all your drivers are up to date? I think you're pretty alone with this problem so sorry but I belive its on your end somehow.

I mean i havent got an game to power crash on me like that since Pentium 500mhz in the 90s so idk....But since youre saying that its only this game idk what can be the issue. Report it in the technical forum section

Any dust fluff in the power supply? Had the issue before and it was turning my pc off even though it wasn't over heating.

Been there a long time ago. I made a habit to literally take my PCs apart and clean them every 6-8 weeks since I lost my first PC to not knowing they even needed to be cleaned...2 1/2 years of dust :oops:

I mean i havent got an game to power crash on me like that since Pentium 500mhz in the 90s so idk....But since youre saying that its only this game idk what can be the issue. Report it in the technical forum section

Yeah its odd. Normally I can resolve things like this on my own. Last game I had shut my PC down was GTA 5 and that was due to my adding a mod that added 4k textures onto everything and my PC couldnt handle it. And that WAS from over-heating. Easy to see and fix.

Actually, now that I think about it...going to remove all mods and have a go with just the base game to see if it happens.

Actually, now that I think about it...going to remove all mods and have a go with just the base game to see if it happens.
Yeah could be a good start :smile: hope it helps...then comes the other thing...which mod was it if so? xD But must be an high GPU density part is my guess as an noob technician. But i heard some had problems with high CPU as well but idk never got to it on my end

...and PC shutdown. No mods in use...only other thing I can think of to try is a complete uninstall/reinstall of the game.

I did notice that this always seems to happen either when starting an encounter or starting a battle.

...and PC shutdown. No mods in use...only other thing I can think of to try is a complete uninstall/reinstall of the game.
bummer...Sounds very weird that a game can cause that much. Especially this one that isnt that much demanding so to speak

bummer...Sounds very weird that a game can cause that much. Especially this one that isnt that much demanding so to speak

Many factors involved. This game is more script based but is also still being developed. memory leaks, compatibility between hardware, software, os, drivers.

You would think an old game like Star Wars The Old Republic wouldnt be harder on a system than a game made 6-8 years after it yet the game engine they used for it is so trash it can cause new systems to run hotter than many new games...Red Dead Redemption 2 runs smoother on my system than SWTOR does lol. But anyway it could (hopefully) be a corrupted game file so...21GB left to download.

Many factors involved. This game is more script based but is also still being developed. memory leaks, compatibility between hardware, software, os, drivers.

You would think an old game like Star Wars The Old Republic wouldnt be harder on a system than a game made 6-8 years after it yet the game engine they used for it is so trash it can cause new systems to run hotter than many new games...Red Dead Redemption 2 runs smoother on my system than SWTOR does lol. But anyway it could (hopefully) be a corrupted game file so...21GB left to download.
If that was the problem then most people should had it. I havent got any of that kind except some stuttering issues during some patches that is now completely gone. I mean for a full power shutdown you need to be very overloaded in power demand is my theory which is strange. Clocking issue perhaps is one guess. But i mean coming in to menu shouldnt be that demanding though :wink:

Last edited:
If that was the problem then most people should had it. I havent got any of that kind except some stuttering issues during some patches that is now completely gone. I mean for a full power shutdown you need to be very overloaded in power demand is my theory which is strange. Clocking issue perhaps is one guess. But i mean coming in to menu shouldnt be that demanding though :wink:

Depends on the issue. It could be nothing more than the combination of the hardware/OS I am using and something in the game code. Its the reason why companies do long alpha/beta testing :wink:

Either way, it happens for absolutely nothing else. Not even the New World beta I am in and that game is...detailed...to say the least.

Depends on the issue. It could be nothing more than the combination of the hardware/OS I am using and something in the game code. Its the reason why companies do long alpha/beta testing :wink:

Either way, it happens for absolutely nothing else. Not even the New World beta I am in and that game is...detailed...to say the least.
Yep seen that one to...Report it in the tech forum thread and see if they can help you there...or maybe some tech entusiast here may :smile: Hope it got solved in any way

Weird issues are almost always psu or ram related. My money is on psu.

edit- try a new psu and see if it persists.

The fact you have 2 GPUs in SLI is what stands out to me. Have you tried just running it on one?
Not on this system, in fact I cannot since this is a work PC at home and I require both of them.

Side note. 3 hours of testing after a fresh install and so far, zero crashes. May have had some weird corruption that caused this. will keep testing.

Maybe you just need to reinstall your GPU drivers without doing anything on your computer. Weeks ago I was having weird crashes in BL but after the reinstall of my GPU drivers everything was fine.

Back
Top Bottom