Multiplayer mods can't be made until 2024 unless we find an alternative

Users who are viewing this thread

The current state of Siege as a gameplay experience is the closest thing we have to custom servers right now on Bannerlord 2. And I really think Siege could become wildly popular compared to Captain and Skirmish if it had just a little more polish (more maps, not having to queue between rounds). Which would go a long way for getting Taleworlds to devote resources towards custom servers, if they had a large player base to cater to again.

I think a lot of the people that play Bannerlord 2 multiplayer regularly would agree that if the devs put some more resources into custom servers it would really help attract and keep more players for whatever else they plan to do with multiplayer. Progression System, Duels, E-sports... etc

During the development of Warband, the same company developed a working multiplayer with more base content, custom servers on day one, more polish, and full mod support. They were able to do so in less time and with a smaller dev team.

Raises some eyebrows.

I can't see the SP even being half ready by the current full release date, nevermind MP too. MP has been neglected more or less from the start. Not priority rn? Sure, that's fine. But to begin to believe that a date for the game coming out of EA is next march, perhaps the devs aren't being realistic with themselves, nevermind the players. That is unless they desired much less than the players are expecting - and if so... god help us all.

The OP seems uninformed about multiplayer and modding in general. I hope the devs ignore this hopelessly cold take.
Nice try.

Since features that are supposed to be done "soon" take 3-4 months by Taleworlds' time, and custom servers are supposed to happen after the full release, and even then "not any time soon" by Callum's words, it's going to take at least a year, probably more, leaving us in early 2022. Since mods take several months to set up, especially when we have to understand server mechanics first, early versions of multiplayer mods won't be available until halfway through 2022. That means, with the current timeline, fully fleshed out multiplayer mods won't be available until late 2022, or 2023.

But please, do enlighten us about how "uninformed" myself and all the other multiplayer developers who see this exact same issue are. I'm sure you are much more aware on the actual state of things.

Nice try.

Since features that are supposed to be done "soon" take 3-4 months by Taleworlds' time, and custom servers are supposed to happen after the full release, and even then "not any time soon" by Callum's words, it's going to take at least a year, probably more, leaving us in early 2022. Since mods take several months to set up, especially when we have to understand server mechanics first, early versions of multiplayer mods won't be available until halfway through 2022. That means, with the current timeline, fully fleshed out multiplayer mods won't be available until late 2022, or 2023.

But please, do enlighten us about how "uninformed" myself and all the other multiplayer developers who see this exact same issue are. I'm sure you are much more aware on the actual state of things.
CANTON is always serious except when he is not, I don't think he was being serious there

stop defending tw for saying its not possible in a timely matter,
its corporate decisions, its not about workload for the devs, the boss doesnt wants it, and its okay, lets move on.

pre 0.9 be like MisterOutofTime makes working Custom Servers + Custom Master Serverlist

MisterOutofTime03/08/2020
ye quickly writing a custom master server for better combat prototyping

[11:00 PM]
~3 lines of code
few hours later: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/682890294873817171/686332795047510142/unknown.png

few days later:

yey self hosted moddable mp working

Resulted in:

TW be Like:
Well unless things change, i don't think they will, dedicated server files will be shared.

The problem with yours was that it was getting a publicity of being "a better mp" and there are many people working on server side. They are obviously upset that you kind of steal all the credit. I mean issues are mostly design issues, there are many other people. Devs, artists etc. that did their job well but all gone to kind of waste due to those community server people advertising their changes as "better mp".

Honestly, if I had the power, I would support those feedback but I also understand why people get upset because of the community server.

post 0.9 be like

Well unless things change, i don't think they will, dedicated server files will be shared.

The problem with yours was that it was getting a publicity of being "a better mp" and there are many people working on server side. They are obviously upset that you kind of steal all the credit. I mean issues are mostly design issues, there are many other people. Devs, artists etc. that did their job well but all gone to kind of waste due to those community server people advertising their changes as "better mp".

Honestly, if I had the power, I would support those feedback but I also understand why people get upset because of the community server.

Lmao I remember this post. Obviously I don't think everyone on the MP development team is like this, but if someone with a view of modding this twisted and self important is making the decision on when to implement private servers, MP is completely doomed.

its corporate decisions, its not about workload for the devs, the boss doesnt wants it, and its okay, lets move on.
Thanks for spitting facts, MisterOutofTime. You singlehandedly proved during the beta that dedicated servers were possible and well within reach. My point is though: if we simply "move on" from the bizarre decision to smother any and all dedicated server options, us MP modders are left with nothing.

Taleworlds: Allow us access to this structure, even on a local scale, and us modders can start doing our thing, and even help with the proper "launch" of multiplayer (although there are no second chances at first impressions, and TW's first attempt crashed and burned, as was expected by everyone in the alpha and beta).

pre 0.9 be like MisterOutofTime makes working Custom Servers + Custom Master Serverlist

few hours later: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/682890294873817171/686332795047510142/unknown.png

few days later:

Resulted in:

TW be Like:

post 0.9 be like

Memories they haunt me

giphy.gif

few days later:

Resulted in:

TW be Like:

post 0.9 be like

Good times. The lack of something as fundamental for MP as custom servers at this point, with modding tools released, and after so much time, is nearly embarassing.

TW be Like:

Please tell me this isn't an actual quote from someone working for TW's??????

Good times. The lack of something as fundamental for MP as custom servers at this point, with modding tools released, and after so much time, is nearly embarassing.
Bannerlord has been well past the point of embarassing for a while now.
I had a good time beta testing it, but I'm confident that's as much as I'm ever going to get from this game.

Is this quote a joke I'm not getting or is this a quote from a person that is not associated at all with the devs at all? Because if we don't have Custom servers because some dev was getting their ego hurt it would be really, really ridiculous, please someone tell me this is wrong I'm not willing to believe this is real lol.

Is this quote a joke I'm not getting or a person that is not associated at all with the devs making guesses? Because if we don't have Custom servers because some dev is getting their ego hurt it would be really, really ridiculous, please someone tell me this is wrong I'm not willing to believe this is real lol.
Please tell me this isn't an actual quote from someone working for TW's??????

While I wasn't directly involved in this at the time, this lines up with what I heard from other people at the time who were involved with testing the combat variables on Time's server. It really was shut down because the devs didn't like the idea of a player doing their work for them.

Back
Top Bottom