Rank 1 Gamer Thoughts on Bannerlord PvP

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree with you on that if the game series inherently has a low skill cap. But mount and blade is a complete opposite to this rule. It has a high skillcap, and skill from warband translates pretty well in bannerlord as most players would already have most of the basics under them, and only have to adjust as opposed to someone who has to learn from scratch.
Being good at Warband does not make you good at Bannerlord. What made you good at Warband was practise and while you might not have to learn some principles completely anew the game works and plays very differently.
We are in agreement on that point, the parts you quoted were a response to the hypothetical question of a "why would I be able to do this in Bannerlord, but not in Warband.
Your proposed alternative is one of many that has been proposed by quiet a few people during the beta and now. I believe i have seen a dozen suggestions concerning some major overhauls that could significantly improve the system, but i have so far seen 0 of them added. If my assumptions are correct the third perk is still planned to be passive perks, which was planned since the beta. It just shows to me the dev team doesn't actually want to change the class system.

I see many of us suggestion changes, we can continue this cycle of constant suggesting things to be added to the class system, but in the end i believe the suggestions are merely read and moved on from. In the meantime the studio is constantly trying to balance the perk system, which again prove to me they are in no way going to alter this system. They will follow the path that has been set since before the beta, and will not deviate from it.

Custom servers are a major influence in this, so is battle, but let's be honest. Battle is a gamemode that was popular only among events/clans. Casual play was constantly a mixture between siege/tdm/dm in warband, and i doubt this will have any change.
True, Siege was still the most popular mode for the casual player and it would probably benefit from a different system than what is used for captain and Skirmish atm. In fact, I'd argue that all gamemodes should be treated separately to improve the overall experience of every single one of them. But getting that deep into catering to every mode and its unique main customer base is a tremendous amount of work and again, MP is a small portion of this title and the studio is still rather small.

Also: I am aware that the suggestion I provided is by no means new, some parts have been proposed by others and myself even in the alpha state of the game. But actually putting these ideas into the game is a whole lot of work and from an economic perspective there may be reasons as to why that has not happened. It is especially this point that explains the success of mods for this entire franchise and since the developers are aware of this particular point the modability of the game itself has such a high priority in development.

To be fair and very brute about this: Taleworlds, by all growth in the past decade, is still a fairly small studio that, being independent, has comparatively much to handle themselves. This means that the team actively developing the multiplayer is very small, if I were to guess I'd assume it's less than a dozen people. And the amount of work to get things working, fix issues, include new features etc is a whole bunch of stuff that often has to be done repeatedly.

Last edited:
How does that make it harder to land a hit as cav?
Since you need to time your hits better along with your approach duh. Also aiming since you want to land a head shot mostly to ensure the kill and try that out every time agile moving your horse, aiming and trying to get out safely with an sword. But i cant compare them both since they are from different time stamps with many years in between..:Wouldnt be fair. Like comparing Rome with Shogun

Since you need to time your hits better along with your approach duh. Also aiming since you want to land a head shot mostly to ensure the kill and try that out every time agile moving your horse, aiming and trying to get out safely with an sword. But i cant compare them both since they are from different time stamps with many years in between..:Wouldnt be fair. Like comparing Rome with Shogun
The lances/spears on cav are very fast it's easy to time your hits.

Easy you say ? Sure for the one that has trained it for a long time not getting them self in danger. But are we talking measuring dicks here or comparing games ? So you found lances on horse to be difficulty to in Warband is the question then ? I mean didnt they felt longe from how i remembered itr ? Here i feel an couching competition on the battlefield can be very risky if you dont know how to aim as an example

See its more lethal here lol...But now youre just being an ass showing of bad coding or lagg. Never seen this myself during my 1.5k hours. Sure some strange questionable hits for sure here and there but hey thats games right ? And that person riding was bad at aiming for sure, missed it for miles

Easy you say ? Sure for the one that has trained it for a long time not getting them self in danger. But are we talking measuring dicks here or comparing games ? So you found lances on horse to be difficulty to in Warband is the question then ? I mean didnt they felt longe from how i remembered itr ? Here i feel an couching competition on the battlefield can be very risky if you dont know how to aim as an example
I don't even know what you're saying at this point

Last edited:
So a little about who I am -->

My name is Rod, I'm a twitch partner, and I've competed in various games at a highly competitive level. I've experience in MMOs, RTS, shooters, and so on. In 2015 I was ranked #7th rogue in World of Warcraft and competed in the BlizzCon regionals, and in 2017 I was ranked #11th. I've also achieved Champion's League in Fortnite, top 5% K/D in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Warzone), even got the top 1% in Sea of Thieves, and even at a smaller a smaller scale, I've been top 100 Players in Age of Empires. So I'm a veteran gamer, and I've high level experience in various genres.

A viewer bud of mine gifted me Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord about a week and a half ago from the time I'm typing this post. If I had to say what the most fun games I've ever played are, they'd have to be, Sea of Thieves, Warzone, and to my surprise, me thinking no game would ever come close to that --> Bannerlord.

I grinded this game extremely hard, playing 36+ hours the first days I got it. It was such a fun experience unlike anything I've ever played before, so kudos to the developers for doing an outstanding job. Despite the bugs, and having to search for mods to help ease the "quality of life" aspect of the game, it has been a phenomenal experience beyond anything I've ever played. I have not had that same feeling when playing a videogame for the first time in a long, long time. So well done.

Now, I personally, am a PvPer. When I say I was ranked #7th and #11th in the world in World of Warcraft, I'm not talking about raiding; I'm talking about PvP.

I've always been two things: A duelist, and a strategist. When I play a game, I ensure the first thing I learn, is how to handle myself in a 1v1. Doesn't matter if it's an MMO, an adventure, a TCG, a RTS --> I prioritize mastering the 1v1 or duel aspect of the game, before I move onto wider battles. And so I did, I mastered 1v1 to the point I felt comfortable doing those big team deathmatches, which by the way, are one of my absolute favorite modes in every game I play.

So here is the issue that I encountered and I hope developers will at least take a note on it.
The issue I encountered, was skillcap.

So for anyone not familiar with it, skillcap is the maximum level of skill in gameplay that you can't go beyond, once you reach that skill cap. As a general rule, in a game with a large skillcap, you are able to see the difference between a top 1% player, and a new player. In a game with very little to no skillcap, you can't tell a pro player from someone who just started playing.

So basically, a game such as World of Warcraft for example, has a very high skillcap. As an example, there are so many abilities in that game, that my keybinds are as follows:

"12346, Q,E,R,T,Y,F,G,H,Z,X,C,V,F1,F2, ALT-1, ALT-2, ALT-3,.... ALT-F2, CTRL-1,CTRL-2,CTRL-3....CTRL-F2, and then SHIFT-1, and so on. Adding mouse buttons into that, I literally have over 50 keybind combinations for each and every possible ability. So the skillcap is great. Someone who may only want to use keybinds 1 through 6, wouldn't stand a chance against someone that's mastered a keyboard full of keybinds.

But that's one mode of skillcap. In shooters, such as Overwatch or Warzone, the characters and players also have some special abilities, whether it's heals, or tactical abilities, and the skillcap is still significant due to timing, mobilization, and of course, being able to have perfect aim.

With Bannerlord, I see the skillcap in Bannerlord as being extremely low, to the point where you get much better once you master blocking, counterblocking on attack, and timing your swing and movement. And to me, a highly competitive player, this presents an issue because even if I possess the ability to go "crazy", the game limits me from doing so due it's mechanics and setup not being customizable.

Take a look at a game such as Sea of Thieves. The skillcap in that game, used to be incredibly high. They reduced the skillcap because Xbox console players complained so much that they couldn't keep up with PC player turning, and so they reduced the skillcap. But still, there is a significant skillcap, even if it's been belittled.

So what would I change about Bannerlord to increase skillcap? Let us customize our "classes". Similar to how in various games you get to choose your set up, let us choose from that instead of having premade class setups, where maybe we don't want those points or want those armours.

If I want to be Khan's Guard but with extra athletic running ability and absolutely no riding nor melee skills, let me be that. If I want to be fully armored with skill only in sword, and nothing in two handed nor polearm, let me be that. The premade classes prevent everyone from playing how they want.

Make it so that there are 50, or 100, or 150, or 250, whatever you want, POINTS to customize your class, and if you wanna put 250 of all your points in polearm, or bow, or crossbow, or whatever, let that person do so. If they want 25 points in athletic, 25 points in riding, and the rest split between sword and bow, or spear and bow, let them do so. Block the Intelligence, social, and the other perk column that is in single player that doesn't affect PvP, and only enable Endurance (athletic and riding), vigor, and control, and let us customize our class.

Heck, you could even allow Blacksmith, and allow to create our OWN weapon in multiplayer.

And also, let us choose the weapons. Maybe I want Knight armor but an axe or lance, or crossbow. And so on. Give us the option to customize our weapons. I personally don't like the multiplayer weapon variety at all, there's only like 3 good weapons (yes, the Aserai axe of course). In single player, I spent so many hours leveling blacksmith so I could craft my own one-handed sword thats long, fast, deals little damage, but it's long and quick and I like it. And it sucks I can't bring that into multiplayer.

I guess above all, it'd be cool if we could choose our talents spent, our armors, and above all, customizable weapons in PvP.

Thanks, and once again, Bannerlord has given me so much fun, like I haven't had in a long time, in this last week and a half. But now that I want to do PvP, with the skillcap and lack of customization, I feel it's something I can't enjoy.

Twitch.tv/RodLimitless
Shrek is an anti-social and highly-territorial green ogre who loves the solitude of his swamp. His life is interrupted after the dwarfish Lord Farquaad of Duloc exiles a countless number of fairy-tale creatures to Shrek's swamp. Angered by the intrusion, he decides to pay Farquaad a visit and demand they be moved elsewhere. He reluctantly allows the talkative Donkey, who was exiled as well, to tag along and guide him to Duloc.

Meanwhile, Farquaad tortures Gingerbread Man for the location of fairy-tale creatures still in hiding. His guards interrupt, and present him with Snow White's Magic Mirror. Upon asking the Mirror if his kingdom is the fairest of them all, Farquaad is told he is not even a king, and must marry a princess to become one. He decides to pursue Princess Fiona, who is locked in a castle tower guarded by a female dragon. Unwilling to perform the task himself, he organizes a tournament, in which the winner receives the "privilege" of rescuing Fiona. Shrek and Donkey arrive during the tournament and easily defeat a swarm of Farquaad's knights. Farquaad proclaims them champions, and demands that they rescue Fiona. Shrek negotiates to have the fairy-tale creatures relocated if he succeeds, and Farquaad accepts.

I don't even konw what you're saying at this point
Well if you wouldnt been so stuck in the old and embraced the new you might have seen things :wink: Wasnt Lances longer in Warband then Bannerlord ? If yes as i belive they where it was much easier being an Cav in Warband as i remember it well. I remember swords being much easier to land from an horse in Warband then Bannerlord..That im pretty certain about

I don't even konw what you're saying at this point
If you're EU based there might be a corelation to the time of day. Other than that, I restrict myself from commenting on the difficulty of lancing in WB vs BL since I am not a main cavalry player. I personally found both games to be very intuitive and don't care much for the difference.
But since I am EU based I will excuse myself from this debate, encourage anyone interested to actually invest the time to read the lengthy posts and sincerely hope that my US based moderation comrades won't have any work with this thread.
Edit: "It's all very nice so far, I appreciate that." he typed and was then greeted with a new post starting with a Shrek summary. Humorous, but off-topic. Keep it on-topic though.

If you're EU based there might be a corelation to the time of day. Other than that, I restrict myself from commenting on the difficulty of lancing in WB vs BL since I am not a main cavalry player. I personally found both games to be very intuitive and don't care much for the difference.
But since I am EU based I will excuse myself from this debate, encourage anyone interested to actually invest the time to read the lengthy posts and sincerely hope that my US based moderation comrades won't have any work with this thread.
Edit: "It's all very nice so far, I appreciate that." he typed and was then greeted with a new post starting with a Shrek summary. Humorous, but off-topic. Keep it on-topic though.
Agree i love them both even if Bannerlord have still works to be done

I've also experienced this, it isn't a lag issue
Living in South America by any chance ? :wink: But yeah could be something with the response code in MP who knows...But never seen this in Sp that an AI landing a hit with this much space. even in the early stages when things where messy here and there

Living in South America by any chance ? :wink: But yeah could be something with the response code in MP who knows...But never seen this in Sp that an AI landing a hit with this much space. even in the early stages when things where messy here and there
I live in Belgium, with a 100mbps wired connection.

My ping in NA is 2, so pretty much the same as SP, and it's definitely a hitbox issue, not a fanboy theory about server lag or any bs like this

I live in Belgium, with a 100mbps wired connection.
Yeah and i live in Sweden with an fiberwire and faster paced internet and still i get laggs on good servers in MP games from time to time...what says that ? Or whats the point so to speak ? Not saying that it is in this case...but it could. However its not explaining the game in itself if its easier being a cav in warband then bannerlord which non have answered the question about the lance ? just shown a footage of some bad coding at the time or lagg for all that i know ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom