Nerfing bows by giving everyone shields was one of the worst changes ever made to this game / share your best battle strategies with me

Users who are viewing this thread

A few patches ago they gave most t2 and 3 troops shields to try and counter act archers being overpowered. They also changed formations so that shield units would stand at the front and take all the arrows. On paper this makes sense and isn't a problem, but it brings to light a much larger issue that imo has ruined the game.

The problem i have found is now that you can't take on a 1000 vs 1000 and win only losing <10 men it has made the game incredible grindy. In the old days all you had to do was set up 200 fian champions on a ledge and they would literally mow down 500 men without losing a single man. This may sound overpowered, and it is, but this pretty much meant that once you got your army set up for the first time you pretty much didn't have to grind for troops again. When you go back all you would have to do is find an army and wait for them to wipe to an enemy army then beat them and take all the troops of the friendly army and you would come back with more troops then you left with. This is clearly overpowered by imo it made for a better experience than what we have now.

So people asked for archer nerfs and they got them. How did this effect the meta? Your archer can no longer mow down 500 infantry units because everyone and their mother has a shield and everyone else is standing behind them. So to fight this because your archers wont be able to you have to fall back on your infantry to do it. The only problem with this is no matter how good your infantry are if they go into melee combat vs a sizeable group of infantry they are going to take loses. Even with horse archers on their side and fians behind them while in a ball or in a charge they take downs. in fights where in my group numbered over 700 and fighting an enemy of 1000 i found that almost all dead were infantry. My response to this was my current strategy, don't run any infantry. I found that by running no infantry and by running two large parties of heavy cav units i could have them take turns running over the enemy while the horse archers and normal archers shot them. This strategy works pretty well and i can get out of most fights (even vs khuzaits) losing less than 20 men. However this is still a long way from the less than 5 of the past.

This is where the problem comes in. While 20 man perma dead i don't consider a bad number, it is still far too many. I would also add that because 90% of units are no longer viable because i can't lean on the fians to kill 90% of the enemy, mt recruitment pool has shrunk dramatically. This means that notable recruits provide very little usable troops and even when i beat an army with 500 prisoners and take them, very few of them are actually viable troops. Herein is the problem I believe this game now has. If in every battle i'm going to lose around 20 men, i have to replace those men and because their is now a lot less room for suboptimal troops it narrows the recruitment pool even more. All these things makes the game several time more grindy than it previously was which i have found to be horribly unfun.

This solutions in game i can think of to this problem are running with a bunch of low tier troops and losing 200 men per fight and just going to a village and picking up everyone they have to replaces them. I hate this idea because it devalues building up a good army and largely throws tactics to the wind. I think running like that would make combat extremely boring. The other solution i can think of is similar. Instead of being mostly low tier troops you would have to use the ultimate leader perk to run extra parties in addition to your normal composition. This would essential be the equivalent of the German prison units that would charge the enemy while the good troops stand behind and mow everyone down. I think this is a potentially great idea because it would do the grind of getting new t5s for you and greatly limit the number of t5 troops you have dying. Not only this but it would swell your ranks meaning that you would almost always have more troops than the enemy on the battlefield because the game only allows for 1000 man battles. In other words this would make it so the enemy cant get very many of their troops on the field at one time which would be a big advantage. However there is one big problem. According to bandlord perks, ultimate leader only works if you are not in a kingdom. This is a big draw back but I think it might be worth it. You would lose access to being able to make war and peace at anytime to stop sieges or get yourself out of bad situations as well as not being able to have any policies or vassals but it might be worth it just to get rid of the grind. I am in my own kingdom and it won't let me leave so I been unable to test this one out but I think it is my best bet.

This is all I have been able to come up with. If anyone has a battle strategy and some way to lessen the grind please tell me because grinding village notables is a truly unfun experience. My criteria for a viable strategy would be being able to beat a sizeable army while losing less than 10 t5 troops. If anyone has anything do let me know.

Foot infantry is still way underpowered and archery is for sure still op.

Personally I think this is down to either damage being too high (both melee and ranged) or armour being too weak. some adjustments to make higher tier inf as well as battles in general, last a bit longer would be nice.

As for a strategy, here's my usual go to's

If you have a hill and the enemy outnumbers you and is coming towards you
Get archers and/or Crossbow men and set them to loose in a line in ranks of 1-3. put them on a hill if there is one
Get Shield inf in shield wall formation about 30m infront of them. Cav either behind archers or off to a flank
Your inf will get minced eventually so try to get your archers to keep reforming as the enemy attacks them. they will get shots off as they fall back. Use your cav to screen as much as possible and buy your archers more space.

in more even battles where you are advancing
archers in loose, ranks of 1-3 in front, Inf behind, Cav on a flank
When enemy is close then charge inf through your archers and bring your cav round into either their flank or if they have a lot, their archers. You can reform the archers to the side if you like also.

BTW if you put archers on the left they will fire into the sheildless side of the enemy.

Foot infantry is still way underpowered and archery is for sure still op.

Personally I think this is down to either damage being too high (both melee and ranged) or armour being too weak. some adjustments to make higher tier inf as well as battles in general, last a bit longer would be nice.

As for a strategy, here's my usual go to's

If you have a hill and the enemy outnumbers you and is coming towards you
Get archers and/or Crossbow men and set them to loose in a line in ranks of 1-3. put them on a hill if there is one
Get Shield inf in shield wall formation about 30m infront of them. Cav either behind archers or off to a flank
Your inf will get minced eventually so try to get your archers to keep reforming as the enemy attacks them. they will get shots off as they fall back. Use your cav to screen as much as possible and buy your archers more space.

in more even battles where you are advancing
archers in loose, ranks of 1-3 in front, Inf behind, Cav on a flank
When enemy is close then charge inf through your archers and bring your cav round into either their flank or if they have a lot, their archers. You can reform the archers to the side if you like also.

BTW if you put archers on the left they will fire into the sheildless side of the enemy.

It is def overpowered but the point im driving is that it made the game better because it pretty much made it so their was no grind for troops.
As for your strat that is what i was running with before my current one. The problem is if infantry are involved in the fight then you are going to lose men, and losing men means you have to grind to get those men back which is the problem I'm trying to get around. Best ive found is to replace your infantry with heavy cav but even so 15-20 lost t5s per large fight creates a grind, a grind made worse by the fact that now you have to be very optimal with your troops because fians can no longer do all of the work.

So... basically you don't like the fact that you can't just grind out OP units and not have to actually bother with maintaining your party all the while killing dozens of AI parties at once? This is like expecting to built a couple OP units in an RTS, be able to win every fight and never have to replenish your units ever again.
To have such an expectation of a game is ridiculous.
If you can't take the heat, play on easy difficulty or something, because you clearly dont care about any sort of challenge... (not that bannerlord has much of that to offer anyway...)

So... basically you don't like the fact that you can't just grind out OP units and not have to actually bother with maintaining your party all the while killing dozens of AI parties at once? This is like expecting to built a couple OP units in an RTS, be able to win every fight and never have to replenish your units ever again.
To have such an expectation of a game is ridiculous.
If you can't take the heat, play on easy difficulty or something, because you clearly dont care about any sort of challenge... (not that bannerlord has much of that to offer anyway...)

If by heat you mean grinding for troops with notables then ill admit im kinda over it. I enjoy the fights well enough but you can't tell me that spending more and more time grinding out troops through notables is fun, engaging, or anything other than boring. Doubly so now that 90% of the t5 troops alone aren't even viable. Imo infantry as a whole is a non viable class, this is based on replacing them with cav units and seeing far better results from it. Then we move on to throwing cav and two handers. Neither of these types of units have any business being used anymore. Throwing cav were already on the edge of non viable but now that everyone has shields their javelins are far less effective. Two handers were always an accessory and now that it takes a lot more to come out of a fight losing minimal men there isn't a good reason to bring them anymore. Then we get to the actual viable classes. In all of these except cav their is pretty much one good option and the rest are extremely sub par. Most cav units are good, the only exception is the battanian horseman is miles lower than all the others. As for archers and horse archers, it is pretty much khan guard and fian champion or you are sandbagging your men. Now you could bring them in anyway, but the problem with that is the battle size of 1000 men. This means that any non optimal unit on the battlefield is taking a slot away from an optimal unit which is going to get more guys killed because they were unable to kill the enemy quick enough because you have 50 two handers where fians or khan guards should be. Alternatively you could just take everything as I stated in the original post, but I feel as though this will make the combat much less entertaining because it would turn your fights in human wave battles, but maybe this is the optimal way to play the game.

Agreed with the last guy. That's like playing a idk, a football sim, purchasing one good player and never expecting to lose a match. Sorry but the post is ridiculous, hopefully the devs won't take this post seriously. Idk what happened during development, during the 2016 gamescom gameplay showcase bannerlord seemed to be a different game entirely filled with features and content, (if you look at the video and compare it to the game we have now you'll see what I mean.) and now it's just a barebones field without features for mid or late game and small replayability value, where community "feedback" such as this crap is taken so seriously that probably next update, archers will be firing gatling guns

Agreed with the last guy. That's like playing a idk, a football sim, purchasing one good player and never expecting to lose a match. Sorry but the post is ridiculous, hopefully the devs won't take this post seriously. Idk what happened during development, during the 2016 gamescom gameplay showcase bannerlord seemed to be a different game entirely filled with features and content, (if you look at the video and compare it to the game we have now you'll see what I mean.) and now it's just a barebones field without features for mid or late game and small replayability value, where community "feedback" such as this crap is taken so seriously that probably next update, archers will be firing gatling guns

I fully agree that archers were overpowered and something should have been done. The problem is with the way they changed it made the game more grindy.

Still a step forwards as far as I care lol.

Now they need to work on making armour matter more, cavalry do more damage and make spears actually worth something. I'd say they should also make the value of unit skill greater, so that we get more survivable troops. Seriously, why did they have to remove Ironflesh?

This is all I have been able to come up with. If anyone has a battle strategy and some way to lessen the grind please tell me because grinding village notables is a truly unfun experience. My criteria for a viable strategy would be being able to beat a sizeable army while losing less than 10 t5 troops. If anyone has anything do let me know.

In order of cheesiness:
  1. As the enemy approachs, simply hit Tab and retreat. Rinse and repeat until the entire enemy army/party is dead
  2. There are difficulty settings for reduced damage and easier recruitment. Use those.
  3. Form an army with your family and/or companions, use them to strip mine villages and towns, while being the infantry core of your force. If anything viable pops up in their party, just take it.
  4. Fian Champions can still absolutely chew faces off. You just have to array them in a "moving door" deep V or L formation as two distinct sub-units or (terrain permitting) the longest ribbon possible if you want to get full effectiveness.

Still a step forwards as far as I care lol.

Now they need to work on making armour matter more, cavalry do more damage and make spears actually worth something. I'd say they should also make the value of unit skill greater, so that we get more survivable troops. Seriously, why did they have to remove Ironflesh?

I think what they did was a step back because it just added more grind to the game. I think the right move would have been not to give everyone shields but to still make the change where the units that have shields would stand at the front. What this would mean is that a kingdom that hasn't been fighting for a while would still have their t4 and 5 troops which would have shields, so the first fight would be played as fights are played now in which you lose around 20 men but after their first couple of wipes their notable recruitment becomes more exhausted because the t4s have already been bought so the armies they come back with are mostly low tier troops and the fights would be more like the old patch fights. This would make it diminish the grind to an extent because instead of losing 20 men each fight it would be more like 20, 20, 15, 10, 10, 5 and so on because they have already used up their high tier troops.

In order of cheesiness:
1. As the enemy approachs, simply hit Tab and retreat. Rinse and repeat until the entire enemy army/party is dead.

2. There are difficulty settings for reduced damage and easier recruitment. Use those.

3. Form an army with your family and/or companions, use them to strip mine villages and towns, while being the infantry core of your force. If anything viable pops up in their party, just take it.

4. Fian Champions can still absolutely chew faces off. You just have to array them in a "moving door" deep V or L formation as two distinct sub-units or (terrain permitting) the longest ribbon possible if you want to get full effectiveness.

This is more or less what my current strat is but i use two cv groups to distract them to keep them from getting on the archers

Boehoeh. Grow a pair mate and look for a challenge.

Or use cheats, that might be more your thing.

The only challenging this in this game atm is the question I was asking, how do you win a fight with a group of 700-850 vs outnumbered and about even without losing more than 10 men. Unless you are somehow implying that grinding notables is challenging. If you have figured out an answer to this question do tell me.

The only challenging this in this game atm is the question I was asking, how do you win a fight with a group of 700-850 vs outnumbered and about even without losing more than 10 men. Unless you are somehow implying that grinding notables is challenging. If you have figured out an answer to this question do tell me.

Why the are you so hung up about losing men? You're gonna war, ofcourse you're gonna lose men.

Ask yourself what the point of your game is. Is it to conquer Calradia as fast as possible without any hassle? Or is it to enjoy the journey rather than the destination?

If you want to conquer Calradia as fast as possible, put everything on Easy mode, cheat yourself a couple million and kill every lord in sight.

The problem you have is how you look at it. Its a sandbox game. You can make of it what you want. But dont force your playstyle on others just because you are unable to enjoy yourself.

You expect to have a fight between hundred of people and lose less than 10 men ?
Seriously ?

/facepalm

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but this game is all about grind. You grind for money, xp, troops, relation... You get the picture. Even the difficulty does not make the game more challenging. You dont have to come up with new stratgies to beat a fight, you just loose more units. And if you really want to loose less units, just trick the AI. Since they mostly do the same its not really difficult. As a little hint. You can order your archer around and most units dont have shields on their back. The AI cant handle attacks from multiple directions very well. Thats cheesy ofc and I do understand when you dont want that, but then you have to live with the grind for now.

Alright, going to try be helpful...

If the real issue is notables grind, then why not look into mods that give you ways to increase relations beyond quests? I'm talking Kill Bandits Raise Relations. I can't play the game on realistic difficulty without this mod, it does so much for me. Believe me when I say that losing armies with it is no longer an annoyance. I mean, it still sucks, but at least I can readily replace losses now.

I don't care if people think its some sort of cheat or whatever, grinding notables sucks. Especially since quests aren't always available to begin with.

The only challenging this in this game atm is the question I was asking, how do you win a fight with a group of 700-850 vs outnumbered and about even without losing more than 10 men

I don't know. Perhaps you're not supposed to be strong enough to slaughter an entire army of a thousand men without taking an 1% loss or more?
How many battles have you heard off where one army annihilated an equally big army without taking noticable losses?

I'm not sure I should take you seriously or not.

This is clearly overpowered by imo it made for a better experience than what we have now.

I couldn't agree more, and I really think a lot of the people kneejerking this post should reconsider what they mean by "challenge", and what makes a game enjoyable. I completely refuse to believe that anyone enjoys or even tolerates grinding for soldiers. This is a video game, not work.

Bannerlord has the AI spamming armies at you like crazy. <-This is the thing that need to be nerfed first, not the ability of the player to counter it. In games where enemies can regenerate infinitely like bannerlord or warband, the worst possible thing you could ever do is to take away the tools the player has to gain an advantage. I don't care if it's unbalanced or unfair, I'm playing a singleplayer game and I should be allowed to cheese the enemy if I want. Giving everyone shields when they take forever to break and cavalry and archers are useless is incredibly boring. I don't know why anyone has the balls to defend this crap, because all it does is remove any semblance of tactics and reinforce the ugly infantry moshpit that is the current meta. The only skill it "challenges" is your irl patience. I've played idle games with more engaging and tactical gameplay than the battles in bannerlord.

I don't know. Perhaps you're not supposed to be strong enough to slaughter an entire army of a thousand men without taking an 1% loss or more?
How many battles have you heard off where one army annihilated an equally big army without taking noticable losses?

How many wars have you heard of where both sides routinely get their armies annihilated but carry on recruiting new armies?

Back
Top Bottom