Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just I want to point out that a simple measure of hours-played doesn't equal hours-enjoyed.

But it does equal hours consumed. You might get a few bites into an entree at a restaurant and send it back if it's not prepared to your liking or you might return a pair of pants after a few days if you decide you don't like the way your butt looks in them but you can't expect a refund for a meal you've already finished or a grungy old pair of pants you've already worn holes in. There are grey areas in what one might reasonably consider appropriate when returning a product but 500 hours? I don't care if he sustained brain damage from playing the game, at some point you have to make a decision whether a product is or is not worth the money you've spent on it and if you can count your play time in weeks, that point has probably passed.

Guys just think about it, why post it? Just think about seriously and read between the lines...
I think this is (a desparate) attempt to push TW work harder or better in development.
BUT I have bad news for OP, it will not work...
It's a heads-up for people who are disappointed about the state of the game and the progress so far? I fail to see how refunding a game is "an attempt to push devs", it's more like cutting losses and being done with the game imo. Steam allows refunding if you're having problems with the game or when the devs fail to deliver their promises, that's not news and I'ld think you would be able to get a refund for Bannerlord regardless of the playtime, the question is why does it seem to bother some. The way I see it, fanboys and TW sub-accounts started the drama as usual. I spent 500 hours in game and no I didn't have a BLAST while playing it. I bought it, thinking they would catch up to the picture they painted in our minds all these years so I just saw it as a way to pass some time while listening to music no matter how lacking it was. Forget all the other problems, we're talking about a company that took almost a year to implement a bloody in-game report system. They're still trying to manually handle the moderation side, rather than implementing an auto-kick/ban system. I spent almost 500 hours while having to deal with dozens of teamkillers and toxic players all the time, even the mute wasn't permanent so I had to mute for every match I encounter them. It's so alarming to see some people here, advertising it as a flawless experience like people must be having a blast playing Bannerlord. Not gonna refund after this point but I'ld not trashtalk someone who is done with the game because I have eyes and I can see the amount of competence so far and it's nothing to write home about at the least.

But it does equal hours consumed. You might get a few bites into an entree at a restaurant and send it back if it's not prepared to your liking or you might return a pair of pants after a few days if you decide you don't like the way your butt looks in them but you can't expect a refund for a meal you've already finished or a grungy old pair of pants you've already worn holes in. There are grey areas in what one might reasonably consider appropriate when returning a product but 500 hours? I don't care if he sustained brain damage from playing the game, at some point you have to make a decision whether a product is or is not worth the money you've spent on it and if you can count your play time in weeks, that point has probably passed.
Exactly, this is like finishing a 9 course meal and wanting a refund
It's a heads-up for people who are disappointed about the state of the game and the progress so far? I fail to see how refunding a game is "an attempt to push devs", it's more like cutting losses and being done with the game imo. Steam allows refunding if you're having problems with the game or when the devs fail to deliver their promises, that's not news and I'ld think you would be able to get a refund for Bannerlord regardless of the playtime, the question is why does it seem to bother some. The way I see it, fanboys and TW sub-accounts started the drama as usual. I spent 500 hours in game and no I didn't have a BLAST while playing it. I bought it, thinking they would catch up to the picture they painted in our minds all these years so I just saw it as a way to pass some time while listening to music no matter how lacking it was. Forget all the other problems, we're talking about a company that took almost a year to implement a bloody in-game report system. They're still trying to manually handle the moderation side, rather than implementing an auto-kick/ban system. I spent almost 500 hours while having to deal with dozens of teamkillers and toxic players all the time, even the mute wasn't permanent so I had to mute for every match I encounter them. It's so alarming to see some people here, advertising it as a flawless experience like people must be having a blast playing Bannerlord. Not gonna refund after this point but I'ld not trashtalk someone who is done with the game because I have eyes and I can see the amount of competence so far and it's nothing to write home about at the least.
He liked the game though? He gave it a positive review in Steam after playing 50 hours. Again, this is like finishing a 9 course meal and wanting a refund. And there isn't a policy about early access refunding. 2 hours / 14 day is a strict rule. Even if the game developers cancel the game Steam doesn't refund your money

He liked the game though? He gave it a positive review in Steam after playing 50 hours. Again, this is like finishing a 9 course meal and wanting a refund. And there isn't a policy about early access refunding. 2 hours / 14 day is a strict rule. Even if the game developers cancel the game Steam doesn't refund your money
I don't know anyone here, he might well be a troll. Still if there was a guy who wanted a refund after 400 hours, I'ld not automaticly assume that he had such an awesome time. There were times where I saw slightly encouraging patches, I changed my negative review to a positive one for once myself but if he recommends refunding here, he needs to change his steam review to negative, it's true.

I will repeat myself. 2 full weeks of your life dedicated to a videogame does imply an enjoyment, you literally cant spend that much time doing something yo dont enjoy in your free times. He wasnt gun pointed to buy and play this game for 2 full weeks, if he really had despised it so much he wouldnt had spend this much time in the game. Its literally impossible, I ask you, would you spend that much time in a game if you only had a bad time? Even if 50% of his gameplay was bad he still one full week of enjoyment.

Although I wouldn't refund Bannerlord myself, I think someday it will be good with the help of the community.

I gotta say I would LOVE to see steam provide any and all requests for refunds on EA games no matter how many hours played. Treat it exactly like a beta/pre-order, rip that money directly from the dev's, weed out the ****s.

It would stop this whole EA craze to avoid negative reviews and criticism with the EA shield. In reality, if your EA game has nothing better to offer from in the transition from EA to release, it maybe is just crap. The idea of early access is basically used these days by most dev's to keep themselves employed for a period of time on a gamble, often with no real foresight or vision for what they want the game to be. It's like investing except you maybe get what they promised... maybe.. with no equity in the investment itself.

First of all, 400 hours is a lot.

On the other hand, it really comes down to what you were doing in those 400 hours.

If the vast majority of the time was spent testing stuff and submitting feedback and bug reports or whatever, then you should be able to get a refund, because most of the hours is not "play time," but rather you providing a service to the devs for free.

On the other hand, as others have pointed out, if most of the time you were playing and having fun with the game, then no, you don't deserve a refund.

Your analogy makes no sense. A t-shirt immediately fulfills its obligation as a t-shirt. The producers of the T-Shirt don't have any other obligation once the shirt is sold to you. However, I would argue a game sold in EA is very different. The developers have an obligation to develop the game as advertised in the EA description or other such announcements, or at the very least, allow for refund periods if the development scope has changed. If the developers of an EA game fail to fulfill that obligation, refunds should be granted no matter how much time is spent in the game. A development promise is made, and a key part of the transaction. If certain features are abandoned without any explanation, again the promise of development has been broken and refunds should be available.

You can argue all you want, but that's not how EA works... If I could decide the rules there is a lot I would change in life, and honestly EA wouldn't even be a priority. Sadly it doesn't work that way.

I spent almost 500 hours while having to deal with dozens of teamkillers and toxic players all the time, even the mute wasn't permanent so I had to mute for every match I encounter them. It's so alarming to see some people here, advertising it as a flawless experience like people must be having a blast playing Bannerlord. Not gonna refund after this point but I'ld not trashtalk someone who is done with the game because I have eyes and I can see the amount of competence so far and it's nothing to write home about at the least.

OK but... why did you do this to yourself? I was done after 150 hours, I stopped playing, now I am just waiting to see if the game becomes worth playing again. If it does, great, if it doesn't, too bad, I will learn from my mistakes and be more careful when buying TW products in the future. And I don't think anyone is bashing on him for not liking the game, they are bashing on him for getting a refund after playing this game longer than most people play any game. That's like buying a dvd for a B movie, watching it 346 times and then asking for a refund because it sucks.

I will repeat myself. 2 full weeks of your life dedicated to a videogame does imply an enjoyment, you literally cant spend that much time doing something yo dont enjoy in your free times. He wasnt gun pointed to buy and play this game for 2 full weeks, if he really had despised it so much he wouldnt had spend this much time in the game. Its literally impossible, I ask you, would you spend that much time in a game if you only had a bad time? Even if 50% of his gameplay was bad he still one full week of enjoyment.
If you stay for the %10 where you'll have a fine experience, does it mean your overall experience was so great? Amount of time spent doesn't equal quality of that time in my view. Otherwise MOBA games would be the best games out there but why are there so many people looking back and wish they'ld quit earlier? Because while they got fun in a tiny amount of time, they were mostly exposed to toxicity and griefing for the rest. Therefore I look at the overall quality of the time I spent, not the amount of it and 500 hours over the span of 5 months is not "that much" for me when I had plenty of time staying home, it's rather a shame. If the experience was so great, we'ld not see the player count peak dropping to 13k only to rise up with a new patch and fall back to where it was when they realize it's not that good, sometimes a step backwards even.

It's EA but noone bought this game thinking they would just keep adding bugfixes for 6 months where the vast majority of them shouldn't have made it out of internal testing and they wouldn't be bothered to add simple but vital systems for multiplayer. I remember Armağan Yavuz making misleading statements about the state of EA, I also posted the translation on forums but no, he didn't pull a gun on us.

Although I wouldn't refund Bannerlord myself, I think someday it will be good with the help of the community.

I gotta say I would LOVE to see steam provide any and all requests for refunds on EA games no matter how many hours played. Treat it exactly like a beta/pre-order, rip that money directly from the dev's, weed out the ****s.

It would stop this whole EA craze to avoid negative reviews and criticism with the EA shield. In reality, if your EA game has nothing better to offer from in the transition from EA to release, it maybe is just crap. The idea of early access is basically used these days by most dev's to keep themselves employed for a period of time on a gamble, often with no real foresight or vision for what they want the game to be. It's like investing except you maybe get what they promised... maybe.. with no equity in the investment itself.
TW wouldn't release Bannerlord, but they basically had to. Even they know they can't hide a game that is this uncompleted under the name of EA. They released it welp because of us

This includes when people say "its early access, you know what you were getting into", because there is no standard and no accountability.

Most EA titles are glorified server stress-tests and final balancing/bug-fixing. I don't know why anyone would ever walk into it expecting more when they come in already having given up their most potent tool to motivate the development crew.

I remember Armağan Yavuz making misleading statements about the state of EA, I also posted the translation on forums but no, he didn't pull a gun on us.
Here is what Armagan said when EA was announced:
He was careful to emphasize that the early access version of the game, and the build players are seeing on the floor at Gamescom, are a long way off from a finished build.

"This is not going to be the kind of game where early access is…" Yavuz said, trailing off and reconsidering his words. "It's at a very rudimentary stage."

Also:
'Rudimentary' doesn't seem like the right word for a game that produces trailers like the one TaleWorlds used to announce Bannerlord's early access launch date, but we'll know more when March rolls around, won't we?

lol

Most EA titles are glorified server stress-tests and final balancing/bug-fixing. I don't know why anyone would ever walk into it expecting more when they come in already having given up their most potent tool to motivate the development crew.

So are most "standard" releases. I personally don't understand why anyone would buy a AAA game on release, but I can understand why they would get frustrated if it was a load of crap. Ever since steam became the norm for PC releases, developers have been using patches as a way to make every game an "early access". People basically expect patches these days, and use the same language for standard releases as you're using for an EA game.

Also "You knew what you were getting into" is a terrible argument, because if they did "know what they were in for", they wouldn't have bought it and wouldn't be complaining. Just became callum said "the game wont be finished" a few times doesn't mean people were expecting a game this mechanically bereft.

Also "You knew what you were getting into" is a terrible argument, because if they did "know what they were in for", they wouldn't have bought it and wouldn't be complaining. Just became callum said "the game wont be finished" a few times doesn't mean people were expecting a game this mechanically bereft.
A fool and his money will soon be parted.

Once more optimizations, mods, and a.i improvements come, people will realize it is still a great game.

Add in some more quests, balance and maps and we are on track. I imagine this game will be complete another year from now. Hoping sooner though.

I would call you foolish. If you have gotten 400 hours into the game, a game in early access I might add, then you should never have been given a refund. You have clearly gotten your moneys worth.

On that note, I wish there was a way for steam to somehow place a black mark on your record and track how many times you have pulled this particular stunt. I am betting this is not the first time.

Take your money and comments and go far far away. You are clearly a troll.

On a positive note, this game has progressed wonderfully, the devs clearly care about their product and the desires of the player base and I can only rave about how much I have enjoyed the game.

Summary: Troll begone, Bannerlord awesome and progressing at a good rate.

So are most "standard" releases. I personally don't understand why anyone would buy a AAA game on release, but I can understand why they would get frustrated if it was a load of crap. Ever since steam became the norm for PC releases, developers have been using patches as a way to make every game an "early access". People basically expect patches these days, and use the same language for standard releases as you're using for an EA game.

Oh, a lot of developers do release unfinished products, on that I don't disagree. But I don't think it was Steam that started the trend. I remember hitting up GameSpot.com for patches pre-Steam and being extra-salty about Battlecruiser 3000AD's support ending before major issues were fixed with the game.

I also don't disagree that most developers use the EA phrasing to drive up community engagement for games that should get roasted alive on release. But I found TW's statements to be reasonably upfront about **** that was going to be broken. The only truly misleading thing about the state of the game for me was that they straight-up said kingdom management was ****ing busted but left in a questline to create your own kingdom for some reason.

It was like bothering to pave and open a road that led to an unbuilt bridge, then being all Pikachu shocked when players (rightly) got pissed about falling off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom