How to make a terrain accessible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, I was adding a bridge to the main map using modding tool, river is inaccessible, and I can't figure out how to make it accessible for the bridge. Maybe this was also related to the collision box of the Towns.

Solution
To see the navmesh terrain, select Terrain (Alt + 7), select Navigation Mesh and hit 3 to enter Navmesh face mode. This will give you a multicoloured grid in main_map. Clicking on a navmesh face will show its terrain type number.
KnbvI.jpg

b7UdE.jpg
Hello, I was adding a bridge to the main map using modding tool, river is inaccessible, and I can't figure out how to make it accessible for the bridge. Maybe this was also related to the collision box of the Towns.
Main_map's rivers are generated by a script as opposed to being meshes contained within placed entities. In main_map you'll find an entity called river_script with a generate button in its script section. The script only works with a texture called worldmap_river_mask. You need to edit the RGB channels to replace worldmap_river_mask. It's blue channel is easiest - draw out the rivers in white on a black background. This is used by river_script to create transparent meshes shaped to the terrain to carry a water effect (the thicker the lines used the wider the mesh created). The red and green channels are edited together to create a flow map which governs each river's flow direction. One channel maps east west the other north south. You need a flowmap reference to draw them. The flowmapping must overlap the blue channel lines to ensure a water effect covers the entire mesh. BTW river script needs the mask texture upside down with south at the top.
I've not checked, but I'd be surprised if bridges need gaps in the rivers. Lift an existing one up to see. I'd expect its mesh to just sit on top of the river mesh as ai pathing is governed by the terrain type coding given to each face of the nav mesh, not the actual terrain. If I'm wrong and bridges need gaps, that would require the river mask to be edited. For parties to cross any bridge, you'd need to change the nav mesh faces crossing it to a walkable terrain type.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For parties to cross any bridge, you'd need to change the nav mesh faces crossing it to a walkable terrain type.

I have tried removing an existing bridge and I still can cross the river where the bridge was placed. I knew you would come ?, but can you elaborate further how to change the nav mesh face, when I click nav mesh on tool, they all look the same even on the river and mountains, the ocean and lakes are the only water that has no mesh above them.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom