A 90-employee studio with ONE actively-maintained product is releasing only ONE THREE-LINE bug fix patch per week. Unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread

This has been discussed many many times before and it is not as simple as it sounds. A mod can slap some changes into the game and call it a day. Doesn't matter if those changes break something else, they don't need to respect future releases or update schedule. Mod devs don't have other things they need to work on or priorities, or meetings or HR conferences or working hours.

They just make one thing and attach it to the game. For all we know it WAS fixed within two days - but it then has to go through an approval process and then be lined up for the next steam release. Two weeks is not a bad turn-around; that's 10 working days.

These 'fixes' should not exists if TW has a good internal QA team. Just some very stupid value error : 0.2%->2*0.01, 5%->0.05*0.01, 30%->0.3*0.01, 30%->30*1, etc. They never make percentage values right. Same mistake in almost every patch. That's the problem.

Were those EAs also in development for over 8 years, and made by a fairly sizeable companies that had previous experiences to draw upon? And were those EAs also sequels to games that they don't actually differ all that much from? Not to mention, that did those EAs' predecessors have a wealth of mods that the devs could draw inspiration from? I could go on like that.

THIS. Exactly!

Don't get me wrong, Bannerlord is amazing and I love the game and all the improvements, but it does not change the fact that something is very wrong with the development.
I used to work in game dev for many years, and the production tempos here are clearly below any standards I know. And I can't imagine how the sequel to the game 8 years later can have a number of core features of the original game missing or broken?
The balance of political power wasn't an issue, not in 2007 when I got into MnB, nor up to now in Warband.. It is a problem in Bannerlord. Uncontrolled wars that make no sense, escaping lords popping up immediately with full armies, factions steamrolling the map..
The elementary trademark system of +- relationship was quite broken in April and is still not up to MnB standards.
The unit stats - the thing that is the easiest to fix and mod - are in chaos third month in a row.

All that's been working before (and more than for 10 years already) is naturally expected to be in 2nd game. And that is what makes people wonder.
As for new features, many are just placeholders. Like perks. Or, like, how coud you NOT know that the player's children would have insane levels and no stats? Children is one of the hugest new features!

I am still happy TW have released Early Access, it's much better to wait this way. But anyway I ended up stuck in my campaigns, wishing that some features were finished at least enough to try, when the moment is right. I used to play so much in old MnB and Warband, I'm scared to think how much. Yet I have only conquered the entire map like three times or so. It wasn't a matter of such a small time, even if the sieges were basically a crossbow joke. Now I am trying as I can to STALL my faction from conquering the whole map half the time. And even though the potential is enormous, I can't influence the inner politics and relations of the clans in the kingdom much. And it got even more broken in the latest stable patch..
So, TW better sort out their priorities, reevaluate pipelines and their team, and hire some top modders in.
The potential of this game is immeasurable. I can wait, but TW, you lose momentum with the new players, and it is sad.

So, TW better sort out their priorities, reevaluate pipelines and their team, and hire some top modders in.
The potential of this game is immeasurable. I can wait, but TW, you lose momentum with the new players, and it is sad.

They are recruiting actually, check their website. :smile:

I agree that there seems to be a problem, but won't go into trying to guess what the cause is (or was) - I don't have enough information to draw any kind of conclusion, and just don't want to throw fact less ideas around. Keep in mind, that they may have already analysed and even solved the problems, but you (us) won't see any results of that for some time. They are stuck with the current game, code base, and have to continue from here.

There is another game and developer that has some similar problems: Frontier Development with Elite: Dangerous. 100+ team(!) working on the game, yet they could not manage to create a single content patch in 2 years.

So this happens. It's not good, not ideal, but it's here. We, as players, can not do anything then vote with our valets and reviews, enjoy the games we have and be patient.

I bought the original M&B when it was a early beta version, and also participated in the beta testings of warband. In both cases there were missing features that were added with the time.

The main issue for me is the price, they are using the players as some sort of Q&A, that's fine but then you can't sell the product at full price because it is not a finished one, that creates unreal expectations to the players.

BTW TW always had listened players wishes and tried to make them real if possible, I hope that it keep being a company value.

And you paid 50€ for it back then like 10+ years ago?

The original M&B beta costed 25$, I don't know which was the final price honestly.
Participating on WB beta was free... but campaign mode was disabled you were able to play just multiplayer.

So that was what I was trying to say, if you pay 50$ you expect a polished product... maybe not a finished one because it is a EA, but definitively more than what we get and that's my biggest complain. BTW I think that they will release a finished version with everything improved but it is going to take long time and finally mods will create a incredible game but it will take still more time, meanwhile you have already spent the money.

Edited: Another important thing is that when you bought the original M&B beta you were supporting Armagan and his wife, due they were the only people behind the game. You don't have the same feelings when you know that behind the game there is a full company, then your level of demand is higher.

Last edited:
The original M&B beta costed 25$, I don't know which was the final price honestly.
Participating on WB beta was free... but campaign mode was disabled you were able to play just multiplayer.

So that was what I was trying to say, if you pay 50$ you expect a polished product... maybe not a finished one because it is a EA, but definitively more than what we get and that's my biggest complain. BTW I think that they will release a finished version with everything improved but it is going to take long time and finally mods will create a incredible game but it will take still more time, meanwhile you have already spent the money.

Mount & Blade and then Warband costed 27 or 28 $ each, I know that, I bought two copies of each in their time.
And funny enough, I payed 28$ for Bannerlord too. Not sure, maybe it was a sale...

And as I said, I can wait. But TW is losing momentum with new players.

Battles as the core of the game are pretty much there where they should be, but those sieges are so awkward, and at the same time they are a key element to the meta-game.. They should be a high priority. The overal concept needs looking into and of course - pathing.

There is a huge chunk of easy-to-do things, like fixing the unit stats and equipment-stat nonsense. Things like that can be done so easily and not demand cross-checking the entire code. It's a one person job for one day.. Fix lords' stats.

Then there is stuff that directly influences the playability in the long term. Like characters dying, playable heirs, their marriage, kingdom internal politics, clan hierarchy and relations, international politics etc. These things can get a player going even after the whole map is conquered (that shouldn't happen so quickly anyway), like it does to me. Only that this part of the game is almost non-existent.

Last edited:
Seeing as they've already sold plenty, I guess they are too busy doing this.
CCfLNm0.jpg

Something must be very wrong with the management team in Taleworlds. I'd like to wholeheartedly advise the leaders of this company that they must do something to keep their company alive for the next decade.

Its like, 2 months after release. I see the game available for $44 dollars - I bought it for $57 dollars at release (which INCLUDED A 20% DISCOUNT).

Its actually mental, the entire process has been mental. A game, announced 10 years ago, releases for $65, 2 months after release can be bought for $44 dollars (~67% of initial price!!), and 3 lines of code is released per week. It definitely feels like a cash grab.... But its just mental overall. Im curious to see how the game will be this time next year.

The pricing method is bananas btw, the game should cost more when its finished and then discount. like wtf haha.

< snip >

Take it from someone who is in the industry (computer science, software engineering, etc.), there is a LOT that goes into projects that is not visible on the outside, and not all of it is ready for weekly patches. In my current employment, it can take as much as an entire 40-hour week to put a single plot on a graph model (I am modeling content in Zoom video conferences), but when the consumer or my supervisor sees it, they only see that single plot and wonder why it took 40 hours to make. Questions like that are common, and they are all caused by ignorance.

Yes, there are some simple number changes that can be made and pushed if they wanted.
Yes, there are QOL changes that if worked on could be ready in a week for the next patch.

But, we don't know what their priorities are, what their work allocation is, and what all they are working on right now. Here is a thought: if you were unaware, TaleWorlds was listed as a developer making a game for release on the next Xbox. Perhaps some of their team is working on that version of a Bannerlord port while the PC version is being developed--maybe a PS5 version too. I would also bet they are working on much larger content patches that we will not see for a few months, and the weekly patch group is actually only a small number of the 90 employees. We simply don't know. There are a lot of things a 90 member team can be working on, full time, and release patches a lot less than what we are seeing now. Stop whining.

And not to parrot those who cite EA as their #1 defense of TW, but in all honesty, if you are complaining about playing an incomplete, ever-changing, and bug-ridden game, the only person you can blame is yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, we don't know what their priorities are
Kinda do, in a vague and generalistic sort of way. They just pushed another announcement that touches up on it, on top of the "priority list" that, personally, I am pretty convinced is all we're going to see before TW says "good enough" and dumps meaningful development.
Here is a thought: if you were unaware, TaleWorlds was listed as a developer making a game for release on the next Xbox. Perhaps some of their team is working on that version of a Bannerlord port while the PC version is being developed--maybe a PS5 version too.
Mate, are you genuinely excusing getting as much dough as TW did get from the EA sales and turning around to work on console ports instead of the PC Early Access they just got paid for? I can't even wrap my head around that logic.
We simply don't know.
And it's something that Taleworlds, nobody else, could easily fix. It's not like they didn't just get paid a lot of money for a process that, to the best of my knowledge and experience with other similarly titled ones, was supposed to include constant communication with its paying participants.
There are a lot of things a 90 member team can be working on, full time, and release patches a lot less than what we are seeing now.
Right, so where is all of that after more than three months already?

Because there are a lot of things a team of even 4 can work on, communicate on daily basis on their forum, and end keep EA participants enthusiastic about... at least according to my experience with MuHa's Thea 1 and 2 EAs, much less other EA titles (and I've participated in a lot of them by now, even technically before "EA" was a thing).

Bannerlord was released as Early Access, and doesn't even fulfill Steam's own guidelines for what it should and should not be (they explicitly mention EA should not be "pre-purchase" or "financing" release). When I see Taleworlds reps officially actively participating on the forum (especially in the dead "Feedback and Suggestions" subsection of it that was literally handed off to "community moderators" that know as much as I or you do so TW doesn't have to bother having an official presence there even just reading through the threads), then they'll earn the right to call this clusterchuckle "Early Access."

And no, the occasional post from Mexxico or Duh buried here and there doesn't count.

Wow... look at all the whiny, entitled pieces of garbage...

Take it from someone who is in the industry (computer science, software engineering, etc.), there is a LOT that goes into projects that is not visible on the outside, and not all of it is ready for weekly patches. In my current employment, it can take as much as an entire 40-hour week to put a single plot on a graph model (I am modeling content in Zoom video conferences), but when the consumer or my supervisor sees it, they only see that single plot and wonder why it took 40 hours to make. Questions like that are common, and they are all caused by ignorance.

Yes, there are some simple number changes that can be made and pushed if they wanted.
Yes, there are QOL changes that if worked on could be ready in a week for the next patch.

But, we don't know what their priorities are, what their work allocation is, and what all they are working on right now. Here is a thought: if you were unaware, TaleWorlds was listed as a developer making a game for release on the next Xbox. Perhaps some of their team is working on that version of a Bannerlord port while the PC version is being developed--maybe a PS5 version too. I would also bet they are working on much larger content patches that we will not see for a few months, and the weekly patch group is actually only a small number of the 90 employees. We simply don't know. There are a lot of things a 90 member team can be working on, full time, and release patches a lot less than what we are seeing now. Stop whining.

And not to parrot those who cite EA as their #1 defense of TW, but in all honesty, if you are complaining about playing an incomplete, ever-changing, and bug-ridden game, the only person you can blame is yourself.

I'm genuinely curious how slow would they have to go before you also lost patience. I'm asking because posts like yours were the norm in the first month, now you see them less and less.

Back
Top Bottom