Metal, metal, metal

Users who are viewing this thread

I just discovered these guys... They're without a bassist nor a vocalist yet and **** yeah they sound savage. Hope!  :party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuNyIXBkheY

McBeverage said:
i ****ing forgot how much i love amorphis but their newest album is 100% ****ing perfect, i think i would lose my **** if i got to see this live

They are the ****. I think I prefer Under the Red Cloud but the most recent is excellent too. Anneke <3

Some of the 2019 releases I enjoyed so far.

Belenos - Argoat
I enjoyed the pre-Breton albums more but it's been consistently good so far.

Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia
This might well be my favourite album of the year. Their previous release "The Synarchy of Molten Bones" was a non-stop unrelenting wall of sound that, while not a bad album, left me tired after listening to it in its entirety. That's not the case for this album as there are more tracks, shorter in length and better pacing entirely. A departure from theologically driven themes into ideology which is in my opinion well executed, the lyrics are still great and so are the riffs.

Drudkh - Кілька рядків архаїчною українською (A Few Lines in Archaic Ukrainian)
It's a compilation rather than a new album but Drudkh is so good it deserves a mention.

Ferriterium - Le Dernier Livre
Some fine-ass Melodic Black Metal album with some good riffs and some very jazzy segments as well like the ending of "Chapitre 4".

Misþyrming - Algleymi
Their previous album "Söngvar elds og óreiðu" opened really strong with "Söngur heiftar" but the rest wasn't nearly as enjoyable so I usually stopped listening shortly after the first track is over. This album doesn't have any track that I would consider better but it is overall more enjoyable in its entirety.

Mgła - Age of Excuse
Another great album from them, I had casually listened to previous albums when they dropped but it's only starting from "With Hearts Towards None" that I really paid them any proper attention and since then they released some great albums.

Minenwerfer - Alpenpässe
I wasn't aware of their existence until this one album but they're pretty great, their previous albums are more raw and aggressive but they're still quite enjoyable.

Non Est Deus - There is No God
It's pretty great if you don't mind the edgyness.

Pensées Nocturnes - Grand Guignol Orchestra
The Insane Clown Posse really reinvented themselves  :fruity:
Joke aside, it's downright insane and cacophonous, this is their most extreme album so far and maybe not the greatest starting point for a first listen so I'd recommend their previous albums. I'd love to see them live one day, their live performance seem fantastic for something so chaotic and dissonant.

Véhémence - Par le Sang Versé
I was more excited for the new Sühnopfer but ended up enjoying this one more.

The Great Old Ones - Cosmicism
Yet another solid release of Lovecraftian Black Metal, I really like their whole discography and often listen to their albums in their entirety.

McBeverage said:
i ****ing forgot how much i love amorphis but their newest album is 100% ****ing perfect

Okay seriously, what is it about Amorphis that is so great? I've seen pretty much every single metal publication line up to suck this album off, perfect scores aplenty yet I listened to it and I felt absolutely nothing. It is the buttered toast of metal albums - most of it is perfectly serviceable as individual instrumental parts or what have you, but there is some essential spirit missing or something, it sounds completely and utterly passionless and rote. I just don't get what people see in this album, and in the band in general.

I probably would appreciate the band more during my brief power metal phase as they seem to be a good bridge between power metal and melodic heavy or death metal but I guess I can see why some people like it that much. Their live shows seem good but I personally don't like their guitar tone and can't seem to get over it.

The new Cattle Decapitation album is out and i think it's their best material to date, with their previous albums there were often some transitions that would take me out of enjoying their songs but this one seems to flow way better.

I missed the new Okilly Dokilly earlier this year, the first album was amusing for the gimmick but not exactly stellar in any way. This is a nice step up in my opinion and seems to be a quite fun and entertaining live band.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
McBeverage said:
i ****ing forgot how much i love amorphis but their newest album is 100% ****ing perfect

Okay seriously, what is it about Amorphis that is so great? I've seen pretty much every single metal publication line up to suck this album off, perfect scores aplenty yet I listened to it and I felt absolutely nothing. It is the buttered toast of metal albums - most of it is perfectly serviceable as individual instrumental parts or what have you, but there is some essential spirit missing or something, it sounds completely and utterly passionless and rote. I just don't get what people see in this album, and in the band in general.

I didn't like the new album anywhere near as much as Under the Red Cloud. It just felt kinda flat and the songwriting a bit uninspired this time round. The energy on UtRC was much better, imo.

Hansi is the cheese god, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Never heard this band before. Checked two songs out form this new EP and I've enjoyed it a lot. Rooted in black metal and it sounds really cool.

I'm ****ing fed up with the coronavirus confinement and from the balcony of my house I've made a "shirt off to the wind" like min 0:12. Stay healthy lads!

Cirith Ungol has released a new album nearly 30 years since their last album, Paradise Lost, which was released in 1991.
It's actually pretty good imo, I've listened to it a couple of times already and I'm actually impressed that Tim Baker manages to still sound this good despite being in his 60s. His voice isn't as high pitched as it used to be and I actually like it better this way.

It's really a pity they don't have more material, they are a promising band and if they finally join Krimh, oh mama. Instead the next band has more material which is totally in the antipodes of the style of the following video (the only song of them that I like):

(a mixture of decaffeinated born of osiris with Mnemic)

Back
Top Bottom