SP - General Field Drills to Train Troops (and level Medicine)

Users who are viewing this thread

So many suggestions of alternative methods to train troops involve passive features such as training in cities or improvements to leadership training perks. To put it simply, that is boring. Right now, the only real way to train troops is bandit hunting, and depending on your army setup, you either have to chase them down for days before you catch them, making leveling extremely difficult, or you are fast enough to catch them and eventually clear the map of bandits, again making leveling extremely difficult afterwards.

I love quests like Extortion by Deserters, because it create an easy-to-encounter party of reasonable size with higher tier troops that can be used for leveling (I check every village I pass to see if it has the quest). There needs to be more methods to train troops that involve active gameplay, not just passive features. This is why I am suggestion field drills.

Field Drills
Drills work the same way as actual combat. When on the map, you can open you party menu and talk to one of your named companions (whether wanderer, spouse, or child) and say you want to start a field drill. That companion will then be your opponent. You then have the opportunity to select what troops take part in the drill. The selection menu could look exactly like the discarding troops party menu, except there will be two categories on the left side, your team and your opponent's team. Any troops you drag into your team will be on your side, and those you drag onto the opposing team will be on your companion's side.

Once finished, the map changes to the same as if you intercepted an enemy on the map, giving you the option to fight or send troops (creating an auto-battle for those who want to make it passive). If you fight, you and your companion control opposing sides. Your companion can earn leadership and tactics experience for controlling their troops, this way there are more leveling options for companions. Your medic also can receive experience for all injuries sustained on both sides of the battle.

Because drills can be risky, anyone who is "killed" in the battle is injured at the end, and those who are "injured" are fine at the end. This is because they are not fighting to kill, just practice. This allows you to level you medic actively instead of the only way being sacrificing your troops in a real battle. You have to be careful, though. This can potentially create a lot of injured troops in your army, leaving you vulnerable, so you will likely have to rest a bit after a few field drills, again leveling your medic's skills further.

The experience gained should be either equivalent or slightly less than an actual battle because they are not fighting for their lives. @MisterDanny8 also brought up the idea of diminishing returns depending on the tier, that way you don't have an easy path to max tier troops, because realistically there is only so much you can learn from drills, and the experienced troops can only really get better by being battle-hardened.

Last edited:
So many suggestions of alternative methods to train troops involve passive features such as training in cities or improvements to leadership training perks. To put it simply, that is boring. Right now, the only real way to train troops is bandit hunting, and depending on your army setup, you either have to chase them down for days before you catch them, making leveling extremely difficult, or you are fast enough to catch them and eventually clear the map of bandits, again making leveling extremely difficult afterwards.

I love quests like Extortion by Deserters, because it create an easy-to-encounter party of reasonable size with higher tier troops that can be used for leveling (I check every village I pass to see if it has the quest). There needs to be more methods to train troops that involve active gameplay, not just passive features. This is why I am suggestion field drills.

Field Drills
Drills work the same way as actual combat. When on the map, you can open you party menu and talk to one of your named companions (whether wanderer, spouse, or child) and say you want to start a field drill. That companion will then be your opponent. You then have the opportunity to select what troops take part in the drill. The selection menu could look exactly like the discarding troops party menu, except there will be two categories on the left side, your team and your opponent's team. Any troops you drag into your team will be on your side, and those you drag onto the opposing team will be on your companion's side.

Once finished, the map changes to the same as if you intercepted an enemy on the map, giving you the option to fight or send troops (creating an auto-battle for those who want to make it passive). If you fight, you and your companion control opposing sides. Your companion can earn leadership and tactics experience for controlling their troops, this way there are more leveling options for companions. Your medic also can receive experience for all injuries sustained on both sides of the battle.

Because drills can be risky, anyone who is "killed" in the battle is injured at the end, and those who are "injured" are fine at the end. This is because they are not fighting to kill, just practice. This allows you to level you medic actively instead of the only way being sacrificing your troops in a real battle.

The experience gained should be either equivalent or slightly less than an actual battle because they are not fighting for their lives, and you have to be careful. This can potentially create a lot of injured troops in your army, leaving you vulnerable, so you will likely have to rest a bit after a few field drills, again leveling your medic's skills further.
It would be great if the developers added a camp and there it was possible to carry out such field drills.

I think it would be good to try out but i also think that this should only give exp to low tier troops. Maybe 1-2 or 1-3 idk. Or just give extremely low exp to high tier troops. Because in realistic terms high tier troops have already learned all about fighting and the only thing left to do is get battle-hardened which can only be achieved by fighting for survival and not just practice.
So you could have a system of leveling your troops to tier 3 or something and then they are good enough to fight real battles and you can level them up the rest of the way.

I think it would be good to try out but i also think that this should only give exp to low tier troops. Maybe 1-2 or 1-3 idk. Or just give extremely low exp to high tier troops. Because in realistic terms high tier troops have already learned all about fighting and the only thing left to do is get battle-hardened which can only be achieved by fighting for survival and not just practice.
So you could have a system of leveling your troops to tier 3 or something and then they are good enough to fight real battles and you can level them up the rest of the way.
I like the idea of diminishing returns depending on the tier. I'll add that to the post!

This is a fine idea.

However I would also like it if TaleWorlds simply took the Training Field mod and just put it directly in the game.

Whatever they do, it needs to be significantly less time investment required to train up soldiers.

As it is right now the difficulty of training soldiers discourages the player from actually engaging with the game and doing fun things, like fighting a battle with even numbers on both sides.

However I would also like it if TaleWorlds simply took the Training Field mod and just put it directly in the game.
Personally, I don't care too much for the training field mod because it is only passive gameplay, which is boring. I have a passive option in my suggestion for those who want it, but in my opinion it is much more fun to actually play the game while leveling your troops instead of sitting and watching the day pass by as your troop exp numbers tick.

Personally, I don't care too much for the training field mod because it is only passive gameplay, which is boring. I have a passive option in my suggestion for those who want it, but in my opinion it is much more fun to actually play the game while leveling your troops instead of sitting and watching the day pass by as your troop exp numbers tick.

Fair point

Is that okay bro?
S5VLYSz.png

Back
Top Bottom