Users who are viewing this thread

It would be great if you could convert a settlement to your culture. Because then you don't have to travel from one side of the map to recruit men that you prefer to fight with i.e. Vlandians. Then you don't have to travel from your newly conquered town / village (Imperial) to a Vlandian village in order to recruit them.
But, if you try to convert a village or a town and their loyalty is too low they can revolt or protest.

OR

When you start your own faction you can customize your own troop tree with names of the troops / soldiers and also their armors, weapons, and shields according to their tier.
* Recruits only have access to a certain range of basic weapons equal to other factions' recruits.

* The higher the soldier class goes the better access of weapons, armors and shields you have to customize them.

* This will allow the player to create his own kingdom with a culture he decides on.

Thanks guys

I had already considered that. That would actually fit a suggestion from me :smile:

My Suggestion

If you include this as a further option to my suggestion, everyone could play their campaign the way they want it to be in terms of immersion.

I don’t understand this whole angle. You aren’t starting a new culture: you are using the people that are already there. And now with more formulaic troop types across all factions with standardized upkeeps, there is no balancing factors for what you choose to have as their equipment.

I understand the want, but there really is no need, and is more immersion breaking then making

I see it differently.
Of course you recruit your soldiers from the existing villages.

But that's actually wrong. An army of Sturgia would take recruits from Sturgia. But an Imperial Army would actually put on a completely different armor or not? Because an army usually has the same uniform. That's why I see it as a breach of immersion when I, as an Imperial General, march through the area with an army, most of which have uniforms of other cultures. Isn't different today? You can come from China but be American GI. Still, you don't ear the PLA uniform.

Or am I wrong?

I see it differently.
Of course you recruit your soldiers from the existing villages.

But that's actually wrong. An army of Sturgia would take recruits from Sturgia. But an Imperial Army would actually put on a completely different armor or not? Because an army usually has the same uniform. That's why I see it as a breach of immersion when I, as an Imperial General, march through the area with an army, most of which have uniforms of other cultures. Isn't different today? You can come from China but be American GI. Still, you don't ear the PLA uniform.

Or am I wrong?

For the time period: mostly.

Though this would be when things started to shift, which is why I say mostly, Armies often consisted of parceled “contracted” forces through most of history. Hannibal for instance didn’t choose to equip the Numidians, Iberians, Gauls, and Italians differently: they came that way as he was raising his army. They brought their specialty with them.
And that sort of thing was going on until WW1, with separately trained, equipped, and specialized forces depending on where they originated from.

This whole game is built on soldiers having individual employment and contracts with you and being expected to provide their own equipment to receive the desired pay. You provide food and mounts: that’s it. But their cultural way of fighting and training is being respected, as it would have widely been for this time period forces outside your own.

Shifts in military tactics and development amongst cultures were just far more subtle for the longest time, which was why Norse people being hired on by many militaries trying to protect themselves from raids from the South were super common. Entire bloodlines of people, such as Ukrainians, formed from this.

I understand your point, but Hannibal used mercenaries. There are already mercenary troops in the game. I am talking about keeping all the villages and towns, but you should be able to choose the troop names and and their uniforms/ equipment. For instance I remember such an option in Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword where you could equip your own troops with gear but it was too lenient on the choice of gear for a basic recruit.

As I said, this is an issue where there are multiple opinions.

Of course this is not such an important thing, but some would still welcome it. You could of course solve it with mods and there are guaranteed to be some. But it would be better to be in the game.

And the armies are a bit more complex. There were different approaches. And an empire like Rome, Carthage, Sparta or Athens has of course not completely changed the culture of their auxiliary peoples and the way they fight. But they equipped the standing army and gave it a certain uniformity. For example, it was stipulated which armor they had to wear, what type of shields etc. The auxiliary peoples, in turn, were integrated into their own Forces depending on their strength or weakness.
Soldiers from vassals or tribute states, however, had their own specifications, which they had also specified according to their culture and empire. Mercenary armies were actually not as widespread in antiquity as they were from the 12th / 13th centuries.

However, since we play the Bannerlord, which is based on some cultures / empires but has no direct connection, one should neglect this. That would only lead to perpetual discussions about historically right or wrong.

That's why I don't want it to be fixed for everyone, but an additional start option to give everyone the pleasure of playing according to their wishes. The most important thing is that everyone has fun with the game, not just you, me or another individual.

Creating your own kingdom and building your own dynasty is what a lot of us dream for. What better way to make it feel even more of something you can call your own, other than custom troops. I understand this can be difficult considering troops types are based solely on where they are hired at, disregarding faction completely. I like this to a degree, but I feel like there should be an option to create your own types of troops to hire and upgrade. This is a daunting task even from my perspective with little technical knowledge. It could be possible to do using some of the character creation kit and then the rest from whatever works best. You could choose what units will end up being Calvary, archers, etc. And assign them specific weapons and armor loadouts. This would be a lot of work to implement I assume, so I also think it should cost many denars to create your own custom units. Later in the game money is overally abundant and what a great thing to spend my hard earned 1mill plus on, than piecing together my own troops in your own custom build-a-troop workshop. Feel free to add any ideas to further flesh this idea out. Thank you :smile:

-Orizonta

This suggestion is as old as Mount and Blade itself. That might've been the most depressing sentence I've had to write.

A little extra suggestion would be that every clan meaning every lord have their own custom bodyguards, or elite troops, they could be limited to 2 or 3 unit types at most so it doesn't become very OP.

Personally, I'd love one whole custom troop tree (with a fixed pool of stat points, $ for gear, etc. that scales with tier level) for players that start their own kingdoms vs. 2-3 for any old party, but that's just a different flavor of the same idea. Overall, yes, totally, that should absolutely happen.

In With Fire and Sword i saw mercenary camps that can customize the equipment of your troops. If you start a new kingdom it's a new faction and a new troop tree. What if players can customize their own troop tree to fit their dream army.

We should have the option of creating our own troop tree for our kingdom. We could go to a character creation screen, make a character for each tier of troops, and can choose from a predetermined list of weapons and armor what each tier of troops would wear or use. Such as for the recruits, we only have a few options of clothing, and bad weapons. These custom troops would be available in the villages, and cities we conquer.

Yes, that would be awesone!
The train-your-own-troops-feature could be tied to different skills and perks.
Leadership for example unlocks tiers in the tree.
You start of with tier 0 that converts peasants to "followers"

T1 is unlocked by maybe rank 15 in Leadership. Units there have a small budget in terms of equipment and weight. You can choose between some t1 gear you have in your stash or inventory.
Combining it with smithing would be awesome, so it is even more customized.
A unit upgrade then would require peasants and the specific raw material, while at the same time granting some smithing-xp.

But as leadership is one of the hardest skill to level up before you can lead an army. It will make the game even more grind

Disclaimer
I know the idea of custom troops have already been previously suggested many times, but I cannot find posts that actually comes with how to implement the idea on the forums. And I know there are probably mods that does this but I have not looked at any mods as I have not used them in my 600hrs+ (sad I know) of playing and do not intend to right now as I know they break with every update and mainly because I would like this system and other good ideas to be implemented into the main game and not have to rely on modding.
This is just my personal idea. It will probably sound stupid for a lot of people or others would already have this idea so I’m sorry in advance if you do not like it or these ideas are already somewhere else. Also, I’m not techy, I do not know how to use photoshop and therefore most of the photos used to show my idea will be done (poorly) in Paint.
If people enjoy this idea, we could use this system and brainstorm more things into it so it fits making a kingdom custom troop tree style of play.

Amount of points/numbers given in the idea is purely for example. Taleworlds can adjust the amount of point cost/points given for use as they see fit.

Basic Details
Idea of this is mainly for a Mercenary play-through. The reason is, in my 600hrs I have never played as a mercenary for more time than until I reached Clan Tier 3. To me, there was no purpose or excitement that could compare to owning a settlement. This custom troop idea would make it so playing as a mercenary is different compared to vassalage, and more rewarding as you are designing your own soldiers giving the game more variety and battle-playstyle. Like I said, it’s mainly for a mercenary play-through but I don’t see why some aspect of this idea can’t go into making a custom kingdom troop tree.
  • Custom troop tree system only available for use when player is not a vassal in a kingdom
  • Must be clan tier 2 or above to create
  • Managed in the Clan tab
  • Only 1 troop tree with 3 tier of troops (T2, T3, T4). To match the AI style of mercenary/minor faction and to prevent whole parties from becoming custom troops. 1 troop tree will give you one type of troop (infantry, archers, etc) and will force players to recruit normal troops to fill the niches of their party.
Example, party of custom archers troops will need to recruit normal infantry to protect them in battles
  • Custom troops system will be disabled and customised units will not be able to be created if the player stops becoming a mercenary and opts for vassalage/his own kingdom/claiming a settlement. However, existing custom troops will remain for the purpose of those who were donated for garrison defence. (Like I said, my idea currently is purely for mercenary play-through, although it can be implemented into a kingdom custom troop tree for when the player captures a settlement)

Item System
Items available for troop use will be based on weapon/armor tier, troop tier and perks. There should be 2 outloads for each troop for visual variety like there currently is in the game.
  • T2 troops can only use weapon/armor that are tier 4 or below
  • T3 troops can only use weapon/armor that are tier 5 or below
  • T4 troops can only use weapon/armor that are tier 6 or below
Items tier which are higher than the troop tier's usage cannot be seen in the equipment/troop building screen.

Items are selected based on a points system. Different items have a different amount of point cost based on how good the item is. The player must choose what items he wants his troops to carry and spend his available points on them and therefore cannot make his troops have the best item for every item slot. Different tier troop would have a different amount of points available for use.
  • T2 troop has 100points to use for items
  • T3 troop has 150points to use for items
  • T4 troop has 200points to use for items
Type of troop can be selected before making custom troop (Infantry, Archer, Cavalry, Cavalry Archer)
  • This is just so the game would know which formation to put those troops in
  • All items will be made available for use regardless of troop type. However, only cavalry troops will have access to horses. Infantry can still use a bow, Ranged are not limited to only ranged weapons, etc, but obviously the Points System will prevent the player from giving his infantry the best ranged bow on top of the best melee weapon.
  • Cavalry type troops will be given extra separate points for the sole purpose of selecting their horse and horse’s armor. Separate points to prevent the extra points being used on basic items (Selecting cavalry type troop but making them purely infantry by using extra points giving for better armor/weapons and using non on horse/horse armor. Cavalry Bonus points for use will also increase based on troop tier)
  • Only T4 cavalry troops will have the option of warhorses
Images below shows my concept of the ‘Item System’. Please keep in mind that the value of items are made up for this purpose, only a few items are present to make it easier for me to make and that some items are of higher tier and would normally not show up if lower tier troops are being designed (eg: Executions Axe, Half Scale Barding, etc).

Unfortunately, images provided does not show in the order I intended and might cause some confusion.

Skill Points
Similar to the item points system, troop’s skill points will also be able to customised. Troop’s skill points will be based on their tier. With every tier having a baseline in every skill regardless of whether it is useful to the player’s design troop. (This is to help them out in arena events)

Baseline:
  • T2 troops have a baseline of 20points in every skill
  • T3 troops will have a baseline of 30points
  • T4 troops will have a baseline of 40points
Skill points:
  • T2 troops will be given 100points
  • T3 troops will be given 150points
  • T4 troops will be given 200points
Players can then allocate points in the relevant skill of the troop in their mind.

Example: So if I wish to make a T2 two-handed warrior who can use a bow.

Unfortunately, images provided does not show in the order I intended and might cause some confusion.

Recruitment/Upgrade
  • Customised troops cannot be recruited from villages/towns but the T2 troop will be upgradeable from all peasants (Empire/Sturgian/Aseria/etc).
  • Custom troops recruits should cost slightly more gold to upgrade to from peasants as peasants should require more training. (I did not opt for more experience requirement as peasants die much easier in battles and having a higher experience requirement would be difficult)
  • Cavalry troops will of course require horses and warhorses (if the player’s T4 cavalry troops require warhorses) but would not need the specific type of horse for upgrade similar to the current system. For example, Khuzait Heavy Lancers uses Steppe Warhorse but do not require that specific warhorse to be upgraded from Khuzait Lancers.

Perks
Certain perks will give the player additional advantages when creating their custom troop line to make their time leveling that perk worthwhile.
Most perks revolving around this system would likely go into the Leadership, Roguery, Trade.
Here are some I have thought of:

Leadership:
  • Customised troop’s skill point system is given 20 extra skill points for use
  • Lowers the upkeep of customised troops by 20%
  • Custom troops can now use 1tier higher item. Example: T2 troop previously can only use tier 4 items or below, now they can use tier 5
Roguery:
  • Can force villages to give you peasants
  • Looters can now be upgraded into custom recruits (T2)
  • You can pay bandits for their prisoners (for the purpose of obtaining peasants easier, but this can work for other prisoners they have also)
  • Ransom brokers now sell prisoners (Similar idea to the above, but this would also be a neat system for those who don’t like grinding for troops after a bad battle. Ransom brokers sell up to 5 prisoners every week and the type of troop available is completely random.)
Trade:
  • Customised troop’s item system is given 10 extra points for use (due to less cost of buying items for your men from the market)
  • Item value for customised troop decrease by 1 point

End
Thanks for taking time to read through it. I hope people enjoyed the idea and please feel free to share any ideas you might have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom