MP Racism in Multiplayer

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people spamming the N word in chat are mostly white dudes
Interesting assertion. Is there any proof? The most prolifically racist person I've ever known was Asian. How can you tell the color of someone's skin over an ingame chat? You yourself are making the inherently racist assertion that because someone is being racist in a chat they're probably white. I hope you self-report yourself and get banned.

who, with the benefit of anonymity, get to play out their deep seated racist feelings.
A part of which is attention seeking behavior, which may not be predicated on anything at all.

The game appeals to the same community as Mordhau, and Mordhau quickly became a haven for nazis, racists, and other types of hard right scum. These types love medieval simulators because they get to go back to a fantasy time where is was okay to hate and kill the people they hate.
I keep seeing this reasoning, but it doesn't seem to be based on anything, and it isn't making any more sense now than before. Perhaps my experience is out of the ordinary, but Warband was no more explicitly toxic or racist than e.g Dota 2 was when I played that. The largest issue with games and racism comes from people not being able to personally mute the tiny percentage of people that behave this way.

Interesting assertion. Is there any proof? The most prolifically racist person I've ever known was Asian. How can you tell the color of someone's skin over an ingame chat? You yourself are making the inherently racist assertion that because someone is being racist in a chat they're probably white. I hope you self-report yourself and get banned.
I had the opportunity to play with a regiment a couple weeks back, and a black dude within the regiment said the n-word with the a-ending in-game. We later discussed how it's unlikely moderators will be able to see the full story or what the reported individual was met by, talked to or is in real life.

I strongly believe TW should only moderate their own, official servers, implement filters all you want, but what I'd prefer personally would be how CS:GO just recently fixed; Automatically opt-out of enemy chat entirely via settings on the main menu. I really don't see the point of seeing enemy chat all the time anyway, especially not in competitive. On dedicated servers or battle servers, sure.

A part of which is attention seeking behavior, which may not be predicated on anything at all.

I keep seeing this reasoning, but it doesn't seem to be based on anything, and it isn't making any more sense now than before. Perhaps my experience is out of the ordinary, but Warband was no more explicitly toxic or racist than e.g Dota 2 was when I played that. The largest issue with games and racism comes from people not being able to personally mute the tiny percentage of people that behave this way.

You know, I once had someone who works in intelligence tell me, with a straight face "Oh, right wing shooters are all just attention seekers, there's no terrorism there".

Attention seeking, the new way to deflect hateful behavior.

You know, I once had someone who works in intelligence tell me, with a straight face "Oh, right wing shooters are all just attention seekers, there's no terrorism there".

Attention seeking, the new way to deflect hateful behavior.
Nice strawman, dude. I won't even dignify that with a response.

I had the opportunity to play with a regiment a couple weeks back, and a black dude within the regiment said the n-word with the a-ending in-game. We later discussed how it's unlikely moderators will be able to see the full story or what the reported individual was met by, talked to or is in real life.
Yeah man, this sort of thing happens all the time, which is why I bring it up.

Why make this political? Most of the "hitler did nothing wrong" people probably dont actually think so, they just want to troll. They just want to argue and piss people off. They dont add anything to a community and actively make people not want to play, so ofcourse they should be punished for it.
Maybe we should petition taleworld to do background checks on people who say the n word and have them present their passports and social security number or a photo ID and then give them a special badge so they can use the N word freely. Or maybe people can just not say a hatefull word whichever is easiest really.

"Hahahahahahahaha How The **** Is Cyber Bullying Real Hahahaha <snip> Just Walk Away From The Screen Like <snip!> Close Your Eyes Haha "
-Tyler the Creator

No seriously, just ignore trolls, why get angry because an edgy teen said a bad word?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice strawman, dude. I won't even dignify that with a response.

Yeah man, this sort of thing happens all the time, which is why I bring it up.

Basic pattern recognition. It's all about deflecting criticism. "They aren't really racist, they're attention seekers" or "How can you tell they're actually racist and not just trolls". The attention seeking part is just noticing that there is a standard lexicon for right wing talking points though. Suffice to say, a person making racist comments is a racist because they made those comments. I can make no statements on the mind of a person, or how they feel. I can only comment on how they act. Racism is performative, a racist is someone who performs racism, including shouting slurs, AND defending people for shouting those slurs.

Basic pattern recognition. It's all about deflecting criticism. "They aren't really racist, they're attention seekers" or "How can you tell they're actually racist and not just trolls". The attention seeking part is just noticing that there is a standard lexicon for right wing talking points though. Suffice to say, a person making racist comments is a racist because they made those comments. I can make no statements on the mind of a person, or how they feel. I can only comment on how they act. Racism is performative, a racist is someone who performs racism, including shouting slurs, AND defending people for shouting those slurs.
You're conflating angsty teenagers who said a bad word in a video game, with acts of mass murder and the people who commit them, while saying that belief systems are performative. That makes you inherently disingenuous then. Nice arguing strategy.

And the largest genocide of the 20th century was committed by a left-wing state. Che Guevara, perhaps the most famous Communist revolutionary in the Americas, wrote in his journal about how black people don't wash because they're stupid and lazy. Racism has no particular place on the political spectrum. Stop trying to make this an issue over politics, especially when the root cause of most of these people saying these things isn't specifically the content of what they are saying, but simply saying it because they know it makes people upset. If people got upset at discussions of horticulture, but not racism; do you really think you wouldn't see a massive uptick in people shouting about citrus cross-pollination in the chat and a decline in racist content?

Let's put it this way, what is there to be lost if people got chat banned for example for saying racist things. Surely the vast majority of people don't want to see that anyway.

The people who spam this stuff are edgy degens they just want a reaction. I've noticed half of them in chat stop when nobody responds to them.

What is really dumb is the never ending armchair political debates that continue on to the next game and then the next (siege). Lol it's like clockwork almost everyday i check.

People should stop wasting their breath arguing on the internet, might as well be trying to move the mass of the Sun with your index finger. People mostly only post on these forums to make themselves perceived as intelligent to others or to post memes or banter.

If you get triggered by highschoolers saying bad words then your skin isn't thick enough to handle the internet, good luck in the real world. I suggest a /mute all function

People should stop wasting their breath arguing on the internet, might as well be trying to move the mass of the Sun with your index finger. People mostly only post on these forums to make themselves perceived as intelligent to others or to post memes or banter.

If you get triggered by highschoolers saying bad words then your skin isn't thick enough to handle the internet, good luck in the real world. I suggest a /mute all function

yo my man keep that post away bro i almost cut myself in it

If I was a dev casually browsing through this section I'd assume that this is the most pressing issue atm in multiplayer, judging by the amount of attention and replies this thread got.

am 32, can confirm that if you say that **** in RL to random people in the street or while playing a sport etc you will probably be knocked the **** out, say it at work and fired? just because you can hide behind a screen free from consequences doesn't mean everyone else needs to toughen up because you feel like being a toxic racist lol

we could always use a behaviour score system as well as mods :p get warned or kicked too many times and you get put into the low priority queue with other toxic asshats

Damn, that's a legitimately good idea. Screw level-based matchmaking, I want matchmaking based on politeness. Just whole lobbies typing, "Wow man, nice shot." "Daaaaamn, good fight."

If I was a dev casually browsing through this section I'd assume that this is the most pressing issue atm in multiplayer, judging by the amount of attention and replies this thread got.
to be fair this whole argument has been happening since warband, about racism being a problem in chat, I really just want mutiplayer to be fixed, but after we all the features in warband such as a name change,own your own server, map maker, more gamemodes,banners, and probably some other things, then maybe address the racism but first I want multiplayer to be finished.

Just because it exists doesn't mean you should not try to prevent it.

Explain to me the relation between some kids saying racial slurs in a videogame to having a thick skin in the real world? It has nothing to do with having a thick skin, its about teaching those highschoolers how to behave and face the consequences if they get banned for it by Taleworlds. Seems like you also didn't grow out of that phase either if you want to defend it so badly. Stop trying to act so edgy please.

Try saying the same word in a professional work environment or anywhere that isn't behind a screen and you will see how thick the world is. Because in reality the real world would doesn't approve of it either. Better to teach them now before they make a mistake.

I never said it was appropriate behavior, nothing wrong with trying to prevent it, but if it actually affects someones psyche over the internet then that person is gonna have a hell of a time in the real world where language like that gets tossed around all the time, F words, B, N, C, you name it and it's said pretty often on the street. Nothing edgy about it, its reality.

I agree to try and teach them, but over the internet it's a pretty pointless effort in my opinion, but to each his own. Their parents or guardians failed them in real life.

I never said it was appropriate behavior, nothing wrong with trying to prevent it, but if it actually affects someones psyche then that person is gonna have a hell of a time in the real world where language like that gets tossed around all the time, F words, B, N, C, you name it and it's said pretty often on the street

honestly don't know what kind of circles you hang around in but in the real world you don't go to your workplace or school and hear people non-ironically use those words on a daily basis

regardless whether people have a thin or thick skin, it's not hard to implement a 'censor profanity' function to censor some words that depict racism and such

i doubt anyone wants to come and play a video game only to be literally harassed by someone with the cognitive ability of a 4 year old, there's nothing wrong in trying to make today's online and video games community more friendly and non-toxic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom