I am repulsively disappointed in MP, Taleworlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Frankly I don't have the patience to sit through another 10 months of talking to a brick wall as in the alpha/beta. Would appreciate a developer response letting us know whether they intend to do anything at all or we should stop wasting our time. The feedback they need is all there, it has been for months.
++

The fact that there was a closed alpha/beta that only focused on multiplayer and this didn't happen at all is really mindblowing for me.

Frankly I don't have the patience to sit through another 10 months of talking to a brick wall as in the alpha/beta. Would appreciate a developer response letting us know whether they intend to do anything at all or we should stop wasting our time. The feedback they need is all there, it has been for months.
+1

Remember in early warband the "duel" servers were just DM servers run and policed by community members? That's really all we need.

But even a functional DM (or TDM) with custom servers and map rotation is too much to ask after 8 years of development

Remember in early warband the "duel" servers were just DM servers run and policed by community members? That's really all we need.

But even a functional DM (or TDM) with custom servers and map rotation is too much to ask after 8 years of development

Except the servers were custom servers hosted by community and not TW. We do not have the option.

For Devs
tenor.gif

I honestly just don’t see whats wrong with the combat, it’s fundamentally the same as warband ?‍♂️

As the others said and I don't mean to be a **** to the newbies (i'd rather we be dicks to the devs), my guess is you did not engage with Warbands melee system at a focused enough level to recognize the changes that were made in Bannerlord. They are sweeping and the combat is a completely different beast, for the worse

Both bannerlord and warband use 4 directions to attack from, that right in of itself are the fundamentals of the combat system
Wrong. The fundamentals of the combat system are significantly more nuanced than just the attack/block directions.
Armor values, hit boxes, movement speed, animation transitions, weapon damage values, weapon arc sweet spots, momentum/speed values, weapon weight, blocking stuns, weapon speed, blocking speed, chambering/timing, weapon hitboxes, shield hitboxes, interrupts, there is so so so much more that must work in tandem into the combat system and how it feels.

Last edited:
As the others said and I don't mean to be a **** to the newbies (i'd rather we be dicks to the devs), my guess is you did not engage with Warbands melee system at a focused enough level to recognize the changes that were made in Bannerlord. They are sweeping and the combat is a completely different beast, for the worse
I’ve got around 600 hours in warband, and the only thing that seems to me to be different is the slow responsive times for some movements. Other then that, it all seems to be the same. honestly I kind of like the bannerlord combat a little more because of the shield deflection movements.

I’ve got around 600 hours in warband, and the only thing that seems to me to be different is the slow responsive times for some movements. Other then that, it all seems to be the same. honestly I kind of like the bannerlord combat a little more because of the shield deflection movements.
Yeah so honestly, unless those 600 hours were spent in MP Battle & Duel you likely have no idea what competitive players have in mind when we talk about the combat being completely different.

I don't mean to gatekeep less experienced players or say that you can't have your opinion.. but I DO mean to say your opinions holds less weight. You don't know what you're talking about :xf-wink:.

This is the same old fruitless discussion that is always had with the casual base of Warband. You simply don't get it. We treat this game and analyze the mechanics like you would CSGO or DOTA2. Every minor detail has major implications in high level gameplay, which TaleWorlds has completely thrown to the wayside. What the combat-focused players got in Bannerlord is a game that is alien what we know, filled to the brim with changes that scream to us that the devs do not know what they are doing.

Then casual players merrily come into the discussions saying "its got 4 attack and block directions, nothing changed!".

I like direction shield blocking too for the record

Yeah so honestly, unless those 600 hours were spent in MP Battle & Duel you likely have no idea what competitive players have in mind when we talk about the combat being completely different.

I don't mean to gatekeep less experienced players or say that you can't have your opinion.. but I DO mean to say your opinions holds less weight. You don't know what you're talking about :xf-wink:.

This is the same old fruitless discussion that is always had with the casual base of Warband. You simply don't get it. We treat this game and analyze the mechanics like you would CSGO or DOTA2. Every minor detail has major implications in high level gameplay, which TaleWorlds has completely thrown to the wayside. What the combat-focused players got in Bannerlord is a game that is alien what we know, filled to the brim with changes that scream to us that the devs do not know what they are doing.

Then casual players merrily come into the discussions saying "its got 4 attack and block directions, nothing changed!".

Yea I gotchu, I’m not much of a competitive player so i can understand your points.

But then again, it is a new game, things are gonna change. It might be for the best to just get used to the changes

<don't double post>

Last edited by a moderator:
+1, I do like that change.
And I personally hate it with passion, I mean okay it looks visually okay but my gripe with it is all the mechanics (or more like how it ****s with existing ones) it brings with it, combine the often awful shields coverages with the absolute lack of mobility as an inf when attacking or blocking and the fact it is easier than ever to hit anything as an archer. I might aswell stop here since you could right a novel with how much is wrong with the mp...

No idea why I'm wasting my time ranting anymore when so much has been reported, discussed etc... during the 10 months of closed beta yet so little changed, let alone acknowledged.

Hard to disagree with this post when most of the beta changes were more often than not one step forward two backwards combat wise. The closed beta leaves me in complete agreement with Gibby when it comes to the necessity of the modding tools to make something of the MP (if anyone is still playing by then since we know the tools won't be there for a while).

I might want to add that I damn well hope TW proves us wrong and somehow start doing meaningful changes for the better yet the more time passe the more it feels like wishful thinking.

Edit:
But then again, it is a new game, things are gonna change. It might be for the best to just get used to the changes

Tell that to Gab with his 900h and all the others that poured countless hours in the beta, sadly there is no getting used to things that just don't work

Its now more realistic than it was.
Delay between releasing attack, damage dealing tip is now smaller or has less time to be adjusted.
EDIT: Im not competitve player but this is more enjoyable than it was in warband.

And I personally hate it with passion, I mean okay it looks visually okay but my gripe with it is all the mechanics (or more like how it ****s with existing ones) it brings with it, combine the often awful shields coverages with the absolute lack of mobility as an inf when attacking or blocking and the fact it is easier than ever to hit anything as an archer. I might aswell stop here since you could right a novel with how much is wrong with the mp...

No idea why I'm wasting my time ranting anymore when so much has been reported, discussed etc... during the 10 months of closed beta yet so little changed, let alone acknowledged.
I think that's fair but I think it opens up a lot of different options to dealing with the invincible shielders in warband who just stall fights.

I think a lot of your points are valid but I don't think the solution would be removing it altogether. I think a lot of that needs careful tuning to fix these issues rather than scrapping.

My personal perspective regarding current shield mechanics is; I would like to see them feel fluid with all other aspects of combat, several of which are currently gravely problematic which is compounding the issue. I believe the current status with shields is a result, not the cause.

I would like to see players have options to dealing with shields beyond just kicking or breaking their shields or waiting for an interrupt via. cavalry bump/archer hitting/2v1. I would like to see the ability for melee to bait the shield user to blocking a certain direction which opens up their opposite side to be exploited. Example of this again is the first enemy in this clip https://www.twitch.tv/valkymia/clip...gradeCopyThis?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time

That's just my 10 cents at least.

Last edited:
I just hate directional shield block too, this is just an unecessary mechanic in my opinion, extremely difficult to handle during infantry fight especially when you've got to adapt your movements to the archers shooting at you.

A simple right click and then you're moving your camera where you want your shield to be would be much more intuitive. If they really want to keep it they should just use the same system they've put in place where players climb ladders : when you're on a ladder in siege for example you can just look in the direction you want to block and the shield moves in that direction, much more intuitive and way less frustrating.

The class system and the fact you're forced to use your steam tag as your IG name is indeed poo. Warband had a much better system and gave a lot more freedom and choice.

The feedback is there and it has been there for 10 months. I too would love a developer response to all of these points as to what's being done about it. It's obvious that a lot of MP community does not like these decisions they made.

Back
Top Bottom