One handed weapon on horseback

Users who are viewing this thread

I feel like using a one handed weapon on horseback completely sucks. It's impossible to hit anything, especially while moving, and when you do hit something, it barely does any damage. I hope Taleworlds will make using one handed weapon on horseback viable again, it was one of the best things about mount and blade.

It was never viable for me, but I'm probably just terrible. Being perfectly fair, mounted combat isn't easy. Even HEMA practitioners who train with this sort of thing don't reliably hit targets from horseback with the precision they'd like, barring exceptional cases. Historically, couching was a much preferred method to slashing in Europe. Even swords were sometimes couched on horseback. There's a good reason spears (and long sabres further east) were the preferred horseback weapon in most every culture.

This video should shed a little light on the complexities of mounted combat and why I'm not too upset with it being tough to hit a guy with an arming sword when I'm riding by him at full gallop.

It'd probably help if they leaned into the attacks when trying to strike infantry and cav

Yeah, I can agree with this. It'd certainly make it easier to land an axe blow on unmounted enemies.

In Warband I often used a one handed cleaver while on horseback. It worked well enough. All of my companions used one-handers from horseback as well and they had no problems slaughering enemy troops while mounted. I did find it easier to use a two handed weapon (for the length) when I did not need a shield.

Yeah it's going to be a major complain for most players on the 31st, since 1 handed seems a common pick. It's absurdly easy to swipe in warband in comparison to bannerlord. I usually do two handed but I've been using a saber in a recent game and it's so so ****ing easy to kill a guy in passing on a horse in warband.

I really hope they can change this before 31st because it's going to be a big WTF? for most.

Yeah it's going to be a major complain for most players on the 31st, since 1 handed seems a common pick. It's absurdly easy to swipe in warband in comparison to bannerlord. I usually do two handed but I've been using a saber in a recent game and it's so so ****ing easy to kill a guy in passing on a horse in warband.

I really hope they can change this before 31st because it's going to be a big WTF? for most.

I think we just need to get a PSA out reminding people to always carry at least one spear on horseback. :grin: Historically speaking, a knight was considered essentially naked if he was mounted without a spear. It was a generally disadvantageous situation for him. Wealthy knights had squires ready with backup spears for this reason.

Well that will truly suck then. Perhaps that will be something that can be modded. I was honestly expecting that weapon use on horseback would be very similar to Warband. I am prepared to complain long and loud if cavalry swordplay was gimped to force players to use spears.

I think we just need to get a PSA out reminding people to always carry at least one spear on horseback. :grin: Historically speaking, a knight was considered essentially naked if he was mounted without a spear. It was a generally disadvantageous situation for him. Wealthy knights had squires ready with backup spears for this reason.
I'm not a knight. I'll use 3 quivers of arrows and whatever is laying on the battle field when they're gone.

Well that will truly suck then. Perhaps that will be something that can be modded. I was honestly expecting that weapon use on horseback would be very similar to Warband. I am prepared to complain long and loud if cavalry swordplay was gimped to force players to use spears.
The longer horizontal weapons such as the glaive handle nicely in the way you'd expect, so I have glimmer of hope that the 1 handed wonky ness could be an oversight.

Animations could be adjusted a bit, but overall it's not that hard, and especially, it's not impossible.

In this video I am using Spatha sword - which is a rather short blade. You just need to practice more.

And it is a mod based on single player module - On MP this could be more difficult to do on a regular basis due to players-servers latency.

Anyway, if you are planning to play this style on SP (1H horseback) and you are worried - don't be.

I'm not a knight. I'll use 3 quivers of arrows and whatever is laying on the battle field when they're gone.

In that case you fight like a Parthian and you should be fine whatever comes.

Animations could be adjusted a bit, but overall it's not that hard, and especially, it's not impossible.

In this video I am using Spatha sword - which is a rather short blade. You just need to practice more.

And it is a mod based on single player module - On MP this could be more difficult to do on a regular basis due to players-servers latency.

Anyway, if you are planning to play this style on SP (1H horseback) and you are worried - don't be.

Good stuff! So it looks like it's basically just a matter of the physics-driven combat system doing what it meant to: Making the game even more skill-based.

Thanks for this little video, really alleviates some worries.

You could try and practice before whining though... just a thought...

Spears and lances are far superior for horseback fighting anyway, even in warband, and in reality too...

Okay, seems like you have to hit way way later than i have been used to hitting :grin:

Good stuff! So it looks like it's basically just a matter of the physics-driven combat system doing what it meant to: Making the game even more skill-based.
Exactly!

Okay, seems like you have to hit way way later than i have been used to hitting :grin:
Yes, but remember, that depends on the weapon type too. With big 2H axe maybe you will need to start swinging sooner.
Anyway, it's just a matter of practice. :smile:

Yep, really really well:

I guess killing multiple enemies with enough force is a thing now.
Yeah Cleaving is a thing now. I think you need to swing hard enough to penetrate a value determined by the target's armor value. As long as your attack doesn't stop on hit, it proceeds and can hit another target.

Gee, suddenly there's a reason to not just use spears with horses You can take down multiple enemies in a single stroke. :smile:

Yeah Cleaving is a thing now. I think you need to swing hard enough to penetrate a value determined by the target's armor value. As long as your attack doesn't stop on hit, it proceeds and can hit another target.

Gee, suddenly there's a reason to not just use spears with horses You can take down multiple enemies in a single stroke. :smile:
You can also couch lance multiple enemies at once.

Back
Top Bottom