Recent content by ZianaHuntress

1. ZianaHuntress

SP - UI Siege engines put in reserve once build

Hi, I was going to post my own thread, but found this, and this other relevant thread below:

I'm sure others have played out more sieges than I have, but in my limited experience, the "preparation" stage for a siege consists of:

- Build a ram/tower if needed
    - Build 4 trebuchets and ONLY trebuchets, because all others have too few hitpoints
    - When each treb is completed, pause & move to reserve so it doesn't get destroyed
    - Once the 4th is done (and you've moved it to reserve to protect it), bring all 4 out simultaneously, and watch as they randomly select enemy siege engines, whittle them down, and then eventually knock down the walls. (Sometimes it makes sense to just attack once the enemy ballistas/onagers are down, since you have a tower/ram to break in with).

I want to say as a player: this is NOT FUN GAMEPLAY. This is a tedious "minigame" that is not entertaining in the slightest. It's not exciting, the outcome is almost guaranteed (enemy siege engines destroyed, possibly walls down if you wait long enough), and it just means several minutes of mindless clicking, then watching the results play out.

My only other point of reference here is the Total War series, but it has a very similar game play element, and I think it's done much better. I absolutely understand having to have some sort of cost associated with producing additional siege engines which give the attacker more advantage. Currently, that cost is both additional game-time, which is good: it allows the enemy to bring other armies to break your siege, or means you miss out on other opportunities. But the other is simply wasting player-time with micromanaging the production of the siege engines, and then watching them randomly deal with the enemy siege engines, which is an unforgivable waste of time.

I think the entire campaign-map portion of the siege engine attacks should be removed. Certainly, have a (relatively quick) progress bar affected by how many & what types of siege engines you want to build: a small town & garrison? Perhaps a couple ballistas will be sufficient. Well-defended castle - four trebuchets of course. So this affects how long in-game passes. There could even be additional costs associated with siege engines in gold or materials.

But once completed, I think the entire siege-engine battle should take place in the battle map. Let the player direct their fire to take out other siege engines, and let (specified) walls be destructable. This is where I think Total War does it better: taking out enemy walls or gates with superior firepower is preferable to trying to assault the walls with inferior equipment. The player can choose to wait to let the siege engines do their thing, or simultaneously bring their troops up to join the attack.

I am very much enjoying the game overall, but I think this is one specific area that could be significantly improved.
  2. ZianaHuntress

SP - Battles & Sieges "Assault the Siege Camp" during active siege battle should place player army on castle/town map behind attacking army.

I understand that if a large army approaches another army while it is still preparing for a siege, they might be able to turn around and meet the opposing force away from the location being besieged - this is how it works now. I find the existing "Break in to help the defenders" system to be...
  3. ZianaHuntress

SP - UI Army Management screen needs a hotkey

The Army Management screen appears to be the only Campaign-level major element not accessible with a hotkey, but only by clicking the flag icon at lower-right. (By all means correct me if I'm wrong). Solution: - Add a hotkey setting to the Hotkeys options screen for Army Management (default: M...
  4. ZianaHuntress

Need More Info Moving *some* prisoners from party to random screen loses "recruiting" state and progress.

Summary: Moving SOME prisoner types from the party (right) to the tavern ransom (left) window, and then back to the party: - Loses the state of whether one or more prisoners are fully ready to be recruited to the party - Zeroes out the progress bar towards recruitment This is only happening...
  5. ZianaHuntress

In Progress Red eyes and strange textures on potraits

Hi, found this post via Google, ran into the same issue, I believe by the same circumstances.

Confirming the problem:

- Game crashed when starting dialog after a battle
    - After trying again a couple times, I selected "safe boot". I believe this defaults a bunch of settings - I had to set Mouse Y back to inverted.
    - Hero character thumbnail portraits (eg. party screen, encyclopedia) now have red shading around the eyes (whites of the eyeballs plus a little further go red).

Diagnosis:
    Removed mods - no change
    Reloaded earlier save - no change
    Removed engine_config.txt and BannerlordConfig.txt (creating new defaults) - no change
    I sync saves & configs in Dropbox - I reverted to a version of engine_config.txt and BannerlordConfig.txt from a few hours earlier. - FIXED

I used "Compare" plugin for Notepad++ to see the changes:

Nothing in BannerlordConfig.txt looks relevant, very minor changes.
    Several graphic settings were changed in engine_config.txt. It takes about a minute to start the game up, this might take a while.
    (insert Jeopardy music)
    and the winner is:

texture_budget = 2

This corresponds to a Texture Streaming setting of "High" (default). Set to 3 or "Very High" (my usual setting), it's fine. I tried setting it to 0 ("Low"), and 1 ("Medium"), and the problem still occurs. Only with the Very High setting is the red-eye problem fixed.

In case relevant: AMD RX470 graphics, Adrenaline 22.5.1 (latest).

Back
Top Bottom