Recent content by Yarrum

1. OSP Kit QoL Tournament Play Enhancements 1.5

Can you share the code you changed?
    Update: I did manage to fix it -- I added the following code from TPE 1.6 (included in Silverstag) to the script "tpe_initialize_player_settings" in tpe_scripts.py:
    Code:
            #### INITIALIZE ARENA SCENES ####
            # This was done to prevent Floris 2.52 from breaking save games.
            (try_for_range, ":town_no", towns_begin, towns_end),
                (store_sub, ":offset", ":town_no", towns_begin),
                (store_add, ":cur_object_no", "scn_town_1_arena", ":offset"),
                (party_set_slot,":town_no", slot_town_arena, ":cur_object_no"),
                (store_add, ":cur_object_no", "scn_town_1_arena_alternate", ":offset"),
                (party_set_slot,":town_no", slot_town_arena_alternate, ":cur_object_no"),
            (try_end),
            #### END INITIALIZATION OF SCENES ####
    It's also worth noting that the version available in the OP is 1.5, not 1.5.3 (the latest non-WSE version).
  2. OSP Kit QoL Tournament Play Enhancements 1.5

What did you change about it? The code you posted is what's already in the kit
  3. OSP Kit QoL Tournament Play Enhancements 1.5

How did you fix it? I've gotten the empty scene error in the past when attempting to use the modmerger package
  4. SP Fantasy Kingdoms of Arda (Lord of the Rings for Bannerlord)

John.M said:
    This isn't the first time the large amount of factions was brought up. A way we could achieve a smaller count is merging factions. Take Imladris and Lindon being merged into "High Elves". I could see how on the surface that would be making factions more unique, as now there is only one faction, High Elves, and it has very few factions that are similar to it. While before there were 2 factions, Lindon and Imladris, and they are very similar. But I don't see the problem with having similar factions like in this case.(We could cut down on a lot factions this way, Dwarves, Silvan Elves, Orcs of the Misty Mountains, Eriador, Isengard/Dunland, Harad/Umbar) Why is a singular High Elves faction superior to a split Lindon and Imladris(or any other merger scenario)?

The main counter argument I can think of is that if someone played both a Lindon and a Imladris playthough they would have basically the same experience(and that would be bad if they were looking for unique experiences). But our intention is not to have every faction with a unique playthrough(nor all to be played at all). In some cases you could consider it a culture playthrough rather than faction.
    This seems like a rather natural use-case for the clan system being introduced in Bannerlord, although it remains to be seen how exactly clan mechanics will work and what kind of impacts they'll have on the game. I do feel that the case is stronger for a merged High-Elven faction than for others because Mirkwood and Lothlorien, though both primarily populated by Silvan elves, generally worked as separate actors and in different theaters of the war when compared with Rivendell and Lindon. To the player, I think Lindon feels like a secondary arm of Rivendell rather than a distinct culture and I don't see a large number of players having a strong attachment to it were it to be its own faction.

There are other cases that I think sorta come down to what you're looking to accomplish from a game-design perspective -- Dunland is certainly a distinct culture (and race) from Isengard but I expect the two to function as a single actor in the War of the Ring, with Dunland's puppet-state status feeling more like a clan than a faction. The most compelling case for making them a faction to me would be if you wanted to explore the possibility of whether the Dunlanders could be turned from Saruman's influence, which would certainly be an interesting and difficult challenge to implement in a way that is respectful to the lore and interesting from a gameplay perspective but could be a really cool dive into the politics of the world.
    [quote author=John.M]
    I don't really agree about your GoT example. How could Essos factions affect the depth of those of the Seven Kingdoms? The only way I could see that is if you are suggesting that if the developers didn't work on Essos they would have worked on Westeros more. But in the case of their current game map vs a copy but Essos is cut out, I think the current one is better in every way(except performance).
    [/quote]I believe the argument being made here is that the splitting of dev resources to create both Westerosi and Essos factions and cultures meant that less attention to detail was given to either region -- modders only have so much time and energy to pour into their projects and the wider you go the harder it is to have depth and immersion across the board. To that end, I think the segmented release plan in which you focus your attention on a specific region of Middle Earth is a good counter to this problem.
  5. Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

I'm not on a full integration (sample full integration is for 1.165, I haven't gotten around to doing it for my 1.172 build). Would have been good to look at that comment in the file though, probably would have saved me a bit of time.

Other issue I'm having: I'm trying to use the tournament play enhancements kit through modmerger. Everything is working perfectly except that the new arena scenes don't appear and tournaments are held on a randomly generated field instead. Moving the scene definitions from the modmerger files to module_scenes.py didn't change anything. I have verified that the new scenes exist in the ID file and there are no compiler or RGL errors when attempting to load a tournament scene.
  6. Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

kalarhan said:
    Yarrum said:
    What would cause module_party_templates to throw a name error for a troops that is (as far as I'm aware) correctly defined in module_troops?

your code compiles fine, it seems you just forgot to do this:

1) add new troops on module_troops.py
    2) compile (execute build_module.bat) to update the IDs
    3) add new party template on module_party_templates.py and use the new troops
    4) compile again
    5) play

I was doing the intermediary compile but the issue was that my newly generated ID files weren't being saved. I'm using the WRECK compiler and I have individual subfolders for my various components. When I run the compiler, it copies the .py files from their directory into the main data folder, compiles them to generate the text files, and then deletes the copied files to keep the root folder clean. Because of this, I was compiling with the original ID files instead of the newer ones (which were getting deleted rather than replacing the old ones). I added a line to my compiler to copy everything that matches ID_*.py back into the module system folder and now it works perfectly.
  7. Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

What would cause module_party_templates to throw a name error for a troops that is (as far as I'm aware) correctly defined in module_troops?

I'm getting NameError: name 'trp_trpname' is not defined for all my new troops. The code compiles cleanly when the new troops are defined but not referenced in party_templates.

My code (adding Silverstag bandits and a few other things to my Native mod to make getting the steam achievements more interesting):

Code:
    ## STEPPE BANDITS
    ["steppe_bandit","Steppe Runner","Steppe Runners",tf_guarantee_boots|tf_guarantee_armor|tf_guarantee_horse|tf_mounted,0,0,fac_outlaws,
    [itm_sword_khergit_1,itm_sword_khergit_3,itm_mace_2,itm_mace_4,itm_winged_mace,itm_jarid,itm_leather_steppe_cap_a,itm_leather_steppe_cap_b,itm_nomad_cap,itm_nomad_cap_b,itm_steppe_armor,itm_hide_boots,itm_nomad_boots,itm_leather_covered_round_shield,itm_leather_covered_round_shield,itm_saddle_horse,itm_steppe_horse,itm_steppe_horse]
    ,def_attrib|level(12),wp(100),knows_riding_4|knows_power_strike_1|knows_horse_archery_3|knows_power_throw_2,khergit_face_young_1,khergit_face_old_2],
    ["steppe_runner","Wind Rider","Wind Riders",tf_guarantee_boots|tf_guarantee_armor|tf_guarantee_horse|tf_guarantee_ranged|tf_mounted,0,0,fac_outlaws,
    [itm_nomad_bow,itm_mace_2,itm_mace_3,itm_short_bow,itm_khergit_bow,itm_arrows,itm_leather_steppe_cap_a,itm_leather_steppe_cap_b,itm_nomad_cap,itm_nomad_cap_b,itm_leather_vest,itm_hide_boots,itm_nomad_boots,itm_leather_covered_round_shield,itm_leather_covered_round_shield,itm_saddle_horse,itm_steppe_horse,itm_steppe_horse]
    ,def_attrib|level(12),wp(100),knows_riding_4|knows_horse_archery_2|knows_power_draw_2,khergit_face_young_1,khergit_face_old_2],
    ["steppe_guard","Spear Rider","Spear Riders",tf_guarantee_boots|tf_guarantee_armor|tf_guarantee_horse|tf_mounted,0,0,fac_outlaws,
    [itm_spear,itm_light_lance,itm_double_sided_lance,itm_war_spear,itm_leather_steppe_cap_a,itm_leather_steppe_cap_b,itm_nomad_cap,itm_nomad_cap_b,itm_leather_vest,itm_hide_boots,itm_nomad_boots,itm_leather_covered_round_shield,itm_leather_covered_round_shield,itm_saddle_horse,itm_steppe_horse,itm_steppe_horse]
    ,def_attrib|level(13),wp(100),knows_riding_4|knows_power_strike_2,khergit_face_young_1,khergit_face_old_2],
    ["steppe_raider_chief","Overseer","Overseers",tf_guarantee_boots|tf_guarantee_armor|tf_guarantee_horse|tf_guarantee_ranged|tf_mounted,0,0,fac_outlaws,
    [itm_scimitar_b,itm_sword_khergit_4,itm_jarid,itm_khergit_war_helmet,itm_lamellar_vest_khergit,itm_hide_boots,itm_nomad_boots,itm_leather_covered_round_shield,itm_leather_covered_round_shield,itm_saddle_horse,itm_steppe_horse,itm_steppe_horse]
    ,def_attrib|level(17),wp(110),knows_riding_5|knows_power_throw_2|knows_horse_archery_3|knows_power_strike_2,khergit_face_young_1,khergit_face_old_2],

Code:
    ("steppe_bandits","Steppe Bandits",icon_khergit|carries_goods(2),0,fac_outlaws,bandit_personality,[(trp_steppe_raider_chief,1,1),(trp_steppe_runner,4,15),(trp_steppe_guard,4,15),(trp_steppe_bandit,4,15)]),

EDIT: It appears to be a problem with IDs. Even though the troops are being put into the troops.txt file correctly, they don't exist in the ID_troops file. Probably a compilation problem.
  8. SP Fantasy Kingdoms of Arda (Lord of the Rings for Bannerlord)

Looks the the issue is indeed on my end because the images work in Chrome (but not Firefox). Cheers!
  9. SP Fantasy Kingdoms of Arda (Lord of the Rings for Bannerlord)

Just the two newest images (Anduril and Glamdring), I'm able to see everything else. I opened up the web inspector and tried to follow the link to one of the images contained in the spoiler div, http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/29/28549/anduril.jpg. Clicking the link gives me an error page on ModDB that says "The image can not be loaded because it contains errors". Same deal with trying to view full resolution on ModDB itself.

Checked out the swords on ModDB, they look beautiful, as usual.
  10. SP Fantasy Kingdoms of Arda (Lord of the Rings for Bannerlord)

Your image links don't seem to be working. Good to know you're back at it though
  11. SP Fantasy [OSP][WB][Submod] InVain's TLD Scene Pack

The airship descends upon Minas Tirith:
    8ed709e5-5b78-4c87-a6f3-a80662ba9b69
    Mm7moiQ.jpg
    Enemies also having trouble entering the courtyard.
    Ht4dRnc.jpg
  12. SP Fantasy [OSP][WB][Submod] InVain's TLD Scene Pack

No, the most recent nightly was released today. This submod isn't compatible yet
  13. 3d Modeling Placement

Looks like The Last Days but he's brought in some models from Third Age Total War
  14. SP Fantasy Kingdoms of Arda (Lord of the Rings for Bannerlord)

I can't find the full text of it online, though I do believe you. Ordered the book of letters on Amazon, wont have it until Tuesday though. It makes sense that he wouldn't have wanted to spend that much time getting a sense of things like armor components and the way certain fabrics look. Ultimately, that's the kind of thing that's way easier for us to do than it ever would have been for him, what with the ability to do a google image search when you're not sure what something actually looks like.

I think I should stress that I don't object to the use of plate armor for depictions of Tolkien's world. Particularly when you're dealing with movies or video games, restricting yourself to chain mail makes it so much harder to flesh out distinctive cultures. Maybe I would feel a bit different had WETA's designs not been so spot-on, but all of the armors in both trilogies look amazing.

What I do think is important to respect, and this is something that Mandible was getting at in his comment on the previous page, is that there should still be a hierarchy of armor complexity. The passage I quoted about Dain's host demonstrates that the Dwarves had the ability to make armor pieces that were more sophisticated than those of other cultures. In spite of what you're saying are very limited descriptions of appearances, I think we might still reasonably infer that the riders of Rohan aren't going to be wearing armor that is on the same level of technology as that of Durin's folk.

More specifically, I think it's probably fair to say that, within the Kingdom of Gondor, there is going to be a hierarchy of sophistication which puts Minas Tirith and Dol Amroth higher in the order than Lossarnach and the other fiefdoms. While the Lossarnach heavy armor does look beautiful, I feel like it might be best reserved as an armor only worn by Forlong as I do think it's a bit out of place to have a class of troops from Lossarnach wearing armor that's more ornate than that worn by the Guards of the Fountain Court.

On the subject of plumes and feathers, I'm also in camp "not so sure about that helmet with the spiky sun on top". I think the metal side-feathers on the other helmet look kind of cool actually, and it's a bit amusing to think that the men of Lossarnach would make imitation feathers out of metal because they aren't on the coast like the fancier Numenorean cities like Pelargir and Dol Amroth and can't actually catch sea-birds for their feather plumes. That being said, I would be careful not to overuse the feather motif. The Fountain Guards are described by Tolkien as having helmets set with the white wings of sea-birds. I think it's really important to note that these feathers are meant to honor the sea-faring culture of the Numenoreans and that the Fountain Guards are the only soldiers in Minas Tirith who have these feathers. I don't think this is accidental -- the Fountain Guards protect the White Tree and the Citadel. These are some of the last links to a vanishing culture and the Fountain Guards are charged as much with protecting the physical things as they are Gondor's identity and Numenorean heritage. Basically, the have a really important ceremonial role and I think it can cheapen the symbolism of those feathers if a fiefdom unit is wearing bigger and more dramatic feathers.
  15. SP Fantasy Kingdoms of Arda (Lord of the Rings for Bannerlord)

Do you have a source on that? I'd love to read his commentary about it.
Back
Top Bottom