Recent content by Xylord

1. Need More Info Resource Browser TPAC Generation Error for Module Names ending in "Assets"

Summary: If the name of the module ends with the string "Assets", .tpac files generated in this module will have incorrect paths pointing to the AssetSource. How to Reproduce: Create a module with a modules name ending with "Assets". Using the editor's Resource Browser, import an asset into the...
  2. An open letter from the Kingdoms of Arda team, and the total-conversion mod community

It does, yes. I mean technically, you also have a good module/mod system(compared to other games) where you can write your own `Native` run the game with that folder only and call it Full Conversion if you want.
    But as far as I can see, game doesn't want you to "patch" Native piece by piece so that it will be a Full Conversion - this is not only too much work but also kinda exploiting the logic behind modules. Changing Native from source and building your own Native should be way easier than this approach. But again, that's just my opinion.
    For most FC mods, patching native is not actually really needed, rather it is required by those select few hard-coded parts of the source. The vast majority of the source seems to be compatible with someone taking out all SandBox units, cities, cultures, factions and stuffing your own custom ones in instead, which is 95% of what most TC mods want to do. From what I've seen, almost anything most TC mods want to do can be done by using a custom GameType and adding custom CampaignBehaviours.

In other words, the Native module is mostly well-designed enough that it is abstracted from the Campaign content, and I think this is an intentional design decision on TW's part.
  3. An open letter from the Kingdoms of Arda team, and the total-conversion mod community

This is correct but I also want to note that modding in Bannerlord is waaaaay easier compared to Warband even in this early stage. Because reverse-engineered or not, some parts are basically free-for-all at the moment - you can literally see what TW dev wrote in the code. Which wasn't the case for Warband - even after they released that weird-module system.
    Seeing some people say stuff like "Modding support is not just something that can be slapped on at the end," in this thread just shows their ignorance. Because that's not the case in Bannerlord at the moment. Even moving from module_item.txt ( where you see magic numbers and object names ) to more structured item.xml is a huge step for modding support for many of the non-deeply technical people. Providing official modding tools in EA is another plus. Having gameplay logic accessible via certain tools ( dotPeek, dnSpy etc ) is another plus.

OP and overall the letter has valid points as I said in my first post. However, they are missing the fact that, currently, the module system doesn't look like it's designed to support Total Conversion mods anyway. I mean game literally enables Native + SandBox modules by default and makes it impossible to disable it from Launcher UI. The current system is more or less the same as Skyrim's module system - which was not TC friendly but "small modification" friendly. Having documents, removing internal keywords won't make life too easier for TC modders - since they will still need to completely copy-paste some of the Native code, change it or write it from scratch.

@Jance @John_M and of course, @Callum , I'm wondering your thoughts about the following:
    I mentioned this before but for Total Conversion mods, the best thing to do for TW would be separating the copyright/sensitive code from the gameplay logic DLL's and then publishing the entire Gameplay source in Github or any other place. This might be daunting for TW to do at the beginning but It comes with several pros, rather than cons.
    - With this way, Total Conversion modders can simply download the entire gameplay logic as a VS project solution, do their tweaks, change whatever they want, built it from that and name it MyCoolNative2 and tell players to use only that module in module folders.
    - With this way, you wouldn't have to patch anything, you wouldn't need to reverse engineer it and you wouldn't be "angry" about hardcoded stuff since everything will be accessible. TW also wouldn't need to change their unorthodox style and continue what they are doing.
    - With this way, community could make PR's to populate/comment on methods and help out the documentation. Also since it will be a Git comparer, seeing module system v1 to v2 changes would be extremely easy to track by modders - they can even argue about certain changes in merge-pull request branches if this goes too complicated in the future.
    Technically, the game does support Full Conversion mods in a certain manner. Where content is concerned, you can prevent the loading of all SandBox and SandBoxCore content into your campaign by using a custom campaign type. This was successfully implemented in previous versions of the game by Jance (and us, to a lesser, buggier extent haha.) If you create your game with say CustomCampaign instead of Campaign or CampaignStoryMode, only xml content marked with the gametype="CustomCampaign" tag will be loaded. This leads me to think this may be the way the designer of this system intends total conversions to be done. However, creating custom and functional GameTypes is quite difficult at the moment. I think your proposal has some pros and cons, but it would certainly be an improvement over the status quo. I look forward to seeing what TW comes up with.
  4. An open letter from the Kingdoms of Arda team, and the total-conversion mod community

I am a programmer for the total conversion mod Shokuho. This letter may seem harsh at a glance, but it truly comes from a place of love and passion. We want Bannerlord to reach its full, tremendous potential, and the problems detailed here affect this process significantly. It also offers possible solutions to those issues that are, while non-trivial, also practical and realistic.
  5. What determines the outer limit of camera movement on the main map

If you look in scene.xscene's environmental values you'll find what appear to be game world sizes:

Those are the values for Main_map. When I generated a larger map these were increased proportionately. You could try checking yours just in case it might effect the camera bounds similar to Warband's module.ini map_min_x, map_max_x, map_min_y and map_max_y.
    Ah, I noticed the same promising bit of the .xscene file. Sadly, this isn't it, even after setting the bounds to -1600, -1600 and 3200, 3200, this doesn't seem to have an effect on the area where the camera can move.
  6. What determines the outer limit of camera movement on the main map

Hello, I am collaborating with Foozle on the same mod, here is a video of the phenomenon.
    This scene was created by simply taking the vanilla Main_map and replacing the terrain and navmesh. The terrain is around twice as big as the vanilla terrain.
  7. Is playing as a female character not a disadvantage anymore?

Adea, Queen of Macedonia (aka Cynane or Euridyce) charged alongside the army she assembled around 300BC. She was 16-18 years old, and already renowned for her martial prowess. There are periods in history where this kind of thing happened, others where it didn't. Warband occurs in a period where society is a bit more repressive regarding women in power, Bannerlord is seemingly in a more egalitarian time. I have no issue with this.
  8. You will need a bug reporting/feature voting tool. Thank me later

In a pinch I feel like they could just open up a page on Github and use the issues system on there. It works pretty well when you need to organize a large amount and variety of feature requests/bug reports and duplicate issues.
  9. Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 15 - Valuable Relationships

I've got to say, 90% of the comments here are ****ing cancer. Why are you all acting so entitled? They might be working on features that they're not ready to talk about yet, and there might be people who don't know about the criminal stuff that hear about it from this blog.

Most companies just make the damn game without telling anything to their fans, and that's okay. TW is going above and beyond. Terrible PR history? What the **** are you talking about?

/rant

Anyway, good to hear from you all. This game is gonna be worth the wait.
  10. Brytenwalda Repolished 1.05 (updated July 15/2015)

kraggrim said:
    It'd be pretty difficult, the guy who made the mod hasn't been on the forum in a year and a half. I tried to download the source files for a wee look it asked me to log in with facebook or email, nothankyouverymuch. 

Good news, I seem to have integrated the run-away-while-village-raiding script without messing up quick-strings, as far as my testing has shown anyway. Theres no 'You have definitely stopped your raid' message now, had to remove it, but mousing over the village is easy enough. After next update people should keep an eye out for wacky messages just in case and report them.

Going to try and add a chance few of the better generic troops (spearmen, archers, maybe even a veteran warrior) to village defenders. This will hopefully balance out the player being able to run away a bit (you will have to bring a few more troops) and make raiding  a little more exciting.

If anyone has any tips on implementing this or suggestions for the militia numbers/troops then please speak up.
    Oh, alright. This download IS pretty iffy. Here it is re-uploaded on mediafire if you still want to take a look.
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/v89piln2n2sy00i/CompTML2.1
    It's basically all the text files from the brytenwalda module, with the modifications required to add the companions, obviously.

Welp, have a good one then!
  11. Brytenwalda Repolished 1.05 (updated July 15/2015)

Hey ya'll!
    I really, really love this version of Brytenwalda. But I also love having lots of companions!
    It would be great if anyone could help me with making this submod compatible with repolished.
    http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=211791.0
    It basically adds a bunch of companions to the game. I'm not necessarily asking someone to do it for me, but I just have no idea how to start out.
Back
Top Bottom