Recent content by woodsmoke

1. woodsmoke

Native mod suggestions

Thanks for the info and the link; I imagine that will come in handy. Now just to figure out a way to control the weather and cool things down here so I can actually play again. :???:
  2. woodsmoke

Native mod suggestions

Right. I'd heard of Floris but wasn't aware it was a native expansion. Will definitely add that to my list.
  3. woodsmoke

Native mod suggestions

Right. I knew I was forgetting one of the big'uns. Doesn't that one come bundled with a lot of mods?
  4. woodsmoke

Native mod suggestions

I'm looking for mods that more or less retain the feel of Native play; same factions, same map, mostly same units, etc. I know Native Expansion is popular (or was last time I perused the forums, which was months ago) and I mean to give it a shot, but I'm wondering if there are any others I might...
  5. woodsmoke

Make bandit groups join battles

I don't have the module system and wouldn't know where to start if I did. Besides, I like native. You're right, it's not particularly shiny, but it hits the sweet spot for me between pseudo-historical simulation and fun-to-play game. I've tried various mods over the years and no doubt will continue to do so, but I always seem to come back to it. /shrug :smile:
  6. woodsmoke

Right, sorry if I was unclear; I'm just new to Warband, not M&B as a whole. I've been playing vanilla M&B for years, since .6-something during the beta (maybe .5-something). I'm not having any trouble defeating bandits in the game, I'm just trying to figure out how to get nearby parties to join the battle against me when I attack like I could do in vanilla with a .txt file tweak.
  7. woodsmoke

Finally bought Warband this past weekend - I know, "late" doesn't begin to describe it; if this were any other party it would have long since wrapped up. At any rate, I've spent the past few days poking about looking for minor mods and making .txt tweaks, but there's one has me stumped: getting...
  8. woodsmoke

-- Official Unofficial 'Ask Questions About Warband Singleplayer Here' Thread --

Apologies if this has been asked before; I only just got Warband (finally) and haven't been able to find anything on the forums here or via Google. Is there a way to tweak the .txt files to make bandit parties on the world map gang up against me like I could in vanilla M&B? The info TML provided in his original post on the subject doesn't match the contents of the scripts file in WB 1.166 and I'm hesitant to make any changes without knowing I won't bork something.
  9. woodsmoke

Custom banner installation

Actually, I did some further searching and found DDS Converter 2 apparently doesn't work with Windows 7, which explains why I wasn't able to get any sort of response from it. I'm installing Paint.Net now; hopefully I'll have more success with that.

Edit: Right, Paint.Net did the trick. Finally have my hammer and anvil banner in the game for my smith lord to fly. Now if only I could actually play tonight instead of typing up an English paper.
  10. woodsmoke

Compilation of 82 little tweaks to the text files to change your gameplay(links)

dantw said:
    "In my opinion, if you chose to have excellent infantry [Huscarls] among your ranks, the pay-off should be less speed on the map." Yeah I guess that makes sense. It still is kind of frustating that I have like twenty horses in my inventory but they don't help any with my travel speed unless I have a bunch of other stuff in my inventory. I guess my troops just prefer to walk hundreds of miles rather than riding a horse. :smile: Thanks anyway!

Yeah, the only benefit to having extra horses in your inventory is using them as pack horses when carrying trade goods; otherwise they're just taking up space. You might be able to increase your speed a bit by adding mounted troops into the mix, but that will necessarily be balanced against your total army size and probably won't provide a substantial boost in either case. As mentioned, your best bet to increase world map speed with a lot of infantry is to invest in pathfinding (either with your character or one of your companions).
  11. woodsmoke

Compilation of 82 little tweaks to the text files to change your gameplay(links)

Lengua Muerta said:
    I think not. I really think it's not possible... unless you use the "Make volunteers in villages vary based on ownership of village". I've used this tweak, but I can't really tell you if Lords will continue recruiting their "default" troops or not - I've eliminated two factions so far, but I haven't really noticed if the Lords that changed sides after the war changed troops as well.

I already have that one in my game and looked at the one what modifies the type/amount of troops AI lords get, but I don't know if that would do any good (and might have the unfortunate side effect of making lords who joined the Vaegirs spawn Nord troops if it even works). Thing is, the game generates a corps of original-faction troops for lords who've switched, independent of their recruiting from villages and regardless of which faction they currently belong to. Which is irritating from a tactical position, especially late in the game when there's only one other faction left and just about every battle is basically fought against every troop type in the game.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way around it. Disappointing, but I suppose I'll get over it.
  12. woodsmoke

See, I've tried that. Unfortunately, as mentioned, for whatever reason the DDS editor I have doesn't seem to be able to open the image file so I can edit it.
  13. woodsmoke

I apologize if this has been addressed before; I did a forum search and skimmed through both the custom banner request thread and the Hall of Heraldry and couldn't find anything to help me. Put simply, I need complete, step-by-step instructions on how to install a custom banner in my game. I...
  14. woodsmoke

Apologies for the repost, but this this question was never answered and I'd like to see if someone might have a yea or nay for me now.

woodsmoke said:
    Is there a way to alter the default troops for lords who've switched from a defeated faction? Not the troops they recruit from villages, I've already done that tweak; I mean the corps of original-kingdom troops the game continues to generate for them even after they've joined another (f'rex, Lord Stamar still getting Swadian troops after the Swadians have been wiped out and he's joined the Khergits). I don't care whether the lords change at all, I just don't want to deal with mixed-faction armies on either side of the battle throwing a monkey wrench into my tactics.
  15. woodsmoke

Is there a way to alter the default troops for lords who've switched from a defeated faction? Not the troops they recruit from villages, I've already done that tweak; I mean the corps of original-kingdom troops the game continues to generate for them even after they've joined another. I don't care whether the lords change at all, I just don't want to deal with mixed-faction armies on either side of the battle throwing a monkey wrench into my tactics.
Back
Top Bottom