Recent content by Waldzios

1. Waldzios

Post items you would like in AOC II (screenshots of items in progress)

Now Zimke will have to go fishing and catch one for reference  :mrgreen:
  2. Waldzios

AGE of CHANGE II :Progress Reports

Dogukan said:
    I dont understand why its taking so long though. Is it just modelling/texture issues or are they also making like gameplay/feature changes?
    It is just life issues  :wink:, our free time is limited  :sad:, we can't spend much time working on the mod lately, so the work speed is much lower than we all would want it to be  :neutral:.
  3. Waldzios

OSP Musket Era 3D Art Single Hussar Wing

For inspiration  :cool::
    DraconistHussarArmor_by_zimke.png

DraconistHussarArmorDetail_by_zimke.png

hussar.jpg
  4. Waldzios

Wilk22 said:
    So once again i like the look of one short wing you Waldzios of big wings.Can we end this like this?
    To be precise, I like all wings, but yep, we can end this like that :smile:.
  5. Waldzios

Hmph, OK, just to be precise the historian and book author is named Radosław Sikora :mrgreen:. I happen to know his books very well, and he gives plenty of examples of big decorative wings in sources.

If prefer paintings over written sources, Martino Altomonte "Battle of Parkany" and "Battle of Vienna" both show few hussars with one or two wings on the back.
    Altomonte_Battle_of_Parkany.jpg

Altomonte_Battle_of_Vienna.jpg

It's not about liking big wings, it's about bunch of historic sources describing hussar wings as decoration, something that make hussar look bigger and scarier. Please tell me how small wings, hardly visible from front side, could achieve this.

Honestly, if ottoman delis from Vienna looked like that:
    deli.jpg
    how any hussar with single small wing (hidden behind his back) could be impressive to anyone.

Again, I like your wings, and probably will use very similar ones in my mod (aside of few other wings variants). Sorry, if you understand it different way. I just hate your statement, about them being only one historic accurate and correct.
  6. Waldzios

Wilk22 said:
    Looks great but more of a myth ,not a fact.
    Sure, if you prefer some biased one-sided articles over historic sources then you are free to believe whatever you want.

"vornemblichen aber der jenigen über 2000 von adel wurdig zu sehen deren jeder mit zweien adlerfligeln befliegelt"
    "ale przede wszystkim ci z ponad 2000 ze szlachty zwracali na siebie uwagę, spośród których każdy uskrzydlony był dwoma orlimi skrzydłami" (Bernard Brulig, 1683)

The point of wings, feathers, animal skins and other decorations was to make hussars look bigger and more impressive:

"Acz to za hetmańską wolą i baczeniem przychodzi, iż czasem trzeba hufy zdobić, rozciągnąć, OPIERZYĆ, aby z małego stał się większy" Stanisław Łaski 1544-1545

"W czasie wojny używają [Polacy] wszystkich sposobów aby się zdawało, że ich jest więcej niżeli w istocie, a dla przestraszenia nieprzyjaciela ubierają konie w pióra, przypinają sobie skrzydła orle, a na barkach zawieszają skóry lamparcie i niedźwiedzie" Hieronim Lippomano 1575

Sorry, but the single small wing (pretty common around Tatars, and all polish cavalry) was far from impressive, and unable to do described job.

What most people got wrong, is assuming all hussars must have look the same, like some plastic models or children toys. It was bunch of individualists, mostly quite rich, very proud of elite status, and without any regulations or limit for decorations. I can hardly believe they all used one kind of wings, especially ones that half of tatar scouts in army already used.
    Wilk22 said:
    Simple put huge wings are for me like horned viking helmets.
    Simple put, hussars using only small tatar-like wings, are for me like vikings using only axes.
  7. Waldzios

Nice work.

But please stop with the old argue about hussars wings. Why are you insist that all hussars had to look the same. There is as many sources describing wing mounted to horse saddles, as the ones describing wings mounted to hussar back.
    My favorite:
    „Bardzo to świetne, ale trudno się nie roześmiać na widok długich skrzydeł przymocowanych do ich pleców, od których, jak sądzą, także konie nieprzyjacielskie się płoszą i do ucieczki rzucają”, Charles Ogier 1635

Wings were just decoration, there wasn't single rule how they should look or how they should be used.
    All weapon, armor and horse requirements were well described, but decorations depended only on towarzysz wealth and imagination.

I honestly don't understand the reason people searching for one universal hussar look, there simply wasn't one, it's just wrong time period.
  8. Waldzios

AGE of CHANGE II : MODELS PREVIEWS

The Bowman said:
    So this aims for XVIth century? Judging from the Polish hussar.
    The time period is very wide. The mod aims to show military evolution from medieval feudal armies to professional armies of late Renaissance. Most advanced troops are from beginning of 17th century.
  9. Waldzios

[Suggestion Box]

YourStepDad said:
    My point is, mid century equipment really does fit well, and is only marginally different, IMO, from early century equipment. Snaphans mechanism is employed. Aside from that, I cannot think of much that was wildly different, other than the gradual change in musket to pike ratio and abandonment of several troop and weapon types, but that isn't equipment itself anymore.
    I'm not sure if you agree or argue with me  :wink:.

I may express myself poorly, of course you are right, most of mid century equipment fits time period, (mostly because it existed long before).
    What I should say, is that any new equipment (like bayonets) that didn't exist or been used before mid or late 17th century doesn't fit well.
  10. Waldzios

[Suggestion Box]

Jaytaro said:
    somehwere in the mid 17th century they had plug bayonets (just a dagger with the handle plugged into the muzzle of the musket) but these were rare and still in its infancy, major problem was A: you cant shoot or reload with the bayonet duh and B: if you stabbed someone the dagger might get stuck when you pull out and your bayonet turns back into a normal musket, french musketeers used them to some affect but a good pikeman out competed the new weapon, 
    I agree completely.  But AOCII time period ends in first half of 17th century (around Thirty Years' War period), so most of mid and end 17th century equipment and troops don't really fit well.

The other probably more important reason is this kind of combined weapons don't work well with AI controlled troops. Good side weapon is much more effective.

There is good chance there will be some bayonet weapons eventually, but most likely for player and custom troops use only.
    Jaytaro said:
    Polish hussar scale armor please? or Karacena
    Again, similar situation, we don't plan to have any regular troops equipped with 'Karacena'. There will be hussars, but with early 17th century equipment.
    'Karacena' will be added at some point, but mainly for decorative purpose (as lords/voivodes equipment) and for player use.
  11. Waldzios

Troops from different races and sound problem

9jakub9 said:
    There is a number by the name of the race in module_skins
    The number by the name should be zero, unless you have models with additional frames like female version (skf_use_morph_key_10).
    If you change it to 3 ( skf_use_morph_key_30)  then most probably the 3rd additional frame is not available, and game uses last one available (female one).
    9jakub9 said:
    when i change it to 3 which is the actual orc code in tf_orc
    If you don't have any additional races defined then tf_orc shuld be 2 (tf_male= 0, tf_female= 1,tf_orc= 2), the number is not random, it's index of entry in module_skins. 
  12. Waldzios

Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

La Grandmaster said:
    If anyone knows why I only get two guards spawning at entry point 52 - instead of two at entry point 50 and one at entry point 51 I would appreciate it
    La Grandmaster said:
    - the entry points are listed in the mission template as - should I have coded in entry points 48 and 49 as well? evn though i wont use them
    Yes you have to add them. The entry points in scenes are not the same ones used in operations. In operations you are using index of entry in mission template, not the number of entry in scene. 
    So basically your entry point 48 (in mission template) is entry_no=48 (for purpose for all operations) that uses entry-no=50 (from your scene).

It seems illogical at start, but this way you are able to do things like:
    Code:
    (47,mtef_visitor_source|mtef_team_1,af_override_horse,aif_start_alarmed,1,[]),
    (47,mtef_visitor_source|mtef_team_1,0,aif_start_alarmed,1,[]),
    This allows you to spawn dismounted troops on scene entry 47 using entry_no=47, and mounted ones on the same scene entry 47, when using entry_no=48. Tricky, but useful.

If you don't want to add unused entries then just change:
    Code:
            (set_visitors,50,"trp_mounted_walker_aryan",2),
            (set_visitor,51,"trp_mounted_walker_aryan"),
    to:
    Code:
            (set_visitors,48,"trp_mounted_walker_aryan",2),
            (set_visitor,49,"trp_mounted_walker_aryan"),
    and it should work.
  13. Waldzios

Why haven't switchable pole-arms been done before? (correct me if I'm wrong)

It's pretty simple with WSE and itp_offset_flip flag.
    warhammer.jpg

warhammer2.jpg

warhammer3.jpg
  14. Waldzios

Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

A way to search:
    1) meeting a merchant is a mission, so you have to search in module_mission_templates.py;
    2) you will find "Meeting with the merchant" template, called "meeting_merchant";
    3) then you can search for "mt_meeting_merchant" references in other files;
    4) you will find (set_jump_mission, "mt_meeting_merchant") line in module_game_menus.py;

15. Waldzios

[Suggestion Box]

Ruler of Calradia said:
    They did not historically exist, but how about adding bayonets in game? Unarmored musketeers with bayonets, bayonets basicly form musket into spear, so it would fit for Rhodoks.
    First, bayonets don't fit time period.
    Second, all musketeers will have side weapons and pikemen to protect them.
    Third, Rhodoks are based on renaissance period Italian city-states.
Back
Top Bottom