Recent content by Turona

1. Turona

Two weapon fightin? (dual wielding)

Again realism has been brought up and I quote myself.

Turona said:
    To be honest I don't see why you're bringing up realism. The fact that dual wield has been used at any time of age, to any extent makes it realistic - period, inappropriate to the time of age, agreed, but it's still real as hell. Especially for a world out of a fantasy where you don't have to be historically correct.

Again, I'm not speaking for dual wield, I just wish you can stop calling it realistic or unrealistic - because that's not the point (if there even is a point to these discussions).
  2. Turona

Official 3D art thread - Warband

Extremely nice work Barf, one of the better helms I've seen partly due to the original is very nice, but also great work on making it.
    The only constructive critizism I have for it would be that the edges of the cheek guards are pretty rough, but it's not something you notice unless you stare yourself blind on it.
  3. Turona

Gore and Dismemberment - removeable limbs

Mail is basically mostly vulnerable to two types of attacks - pinpoint (piercing) and blunt. But It's not really possible to decapitate anyone with a thrust or blunt trauma. The video, with Peter Woodward, made horrible tests against the mail. The dummy was fixated with a couple of twigs resembling body parts (even a child can break twigs with ease), and furthermore it wasn't properly wielded nor did it have a gambeson underneath.

The axe would most likely not harm the mail itself in a slashing attack, but possibly deal blunt damage to where it hit, of course it depends on the momentum of the attack but the mail is likely to hold. The mace attack varies much on how hard it hits, where it hits, and how the opponents body move with the weapon. If lucky the knight may get away with a bruise. As for the sword it pierces the armor, but take a look into the link Night Ninja posted and you'll see the real effect of those piercing attacks, it's quite different from a hanging piece of metal.
  4. Turona

Rafael Neves Lazera said:
    Please somebody tell me how would be fighting with two weapons so. Do you think it's just about swinging your off hand the same way as you do with you main hand?

PS: And yes you can fight with daggers instead of having a longarm in your main hand, but you will be giving away your threatening range, so people will likely pick you before you can step in. I want to see you parry a spear with a dagger.

ARMA Dual wield rapier fencing - As you can see in the video the dagger is pretty much used to defend with, the only "spinning" moves they use is to swap between foot settings, left or right foot forward. This is pretty much the basics of any dual wield combat, think of it as stances rather than rotating moves.

The only time I can see you going more offensive with an offhand would be for the extremely few ambidexterious people in the world, meaning that they are equally good at using either hand at any time, they're neither right nor left handed - but so far the only examples of them dual wielding that I've seen has been in fiction.

Parrying a spear with a dagger is like parrying a thrust with any weapon, deflect it to either side, I don't see why that would be impossible to do with a dagger, a knife might be too short but the daggers or rondels back then were pretty long, atleast some of them.
  5. Turona

Swadius said:
    Like someone putting a bullet through the gun of a tank and detonating the shell inside the turret.

That quote just made my day.  :lol:
  6. Turona

Rafael Neves Lazera said:
    Do you think you can use a longsword against an enemy grappling with you? No, either bash him or use your dagger.

There's a whole section of grappling techniques from the manual of 15th century German fencing master Sigmund Ringek called "Ringen am Schwert" ("Grappling at the Sword"). And as you (probably) know, Ringek techniques use a long sword.

Earendil the Great said:
    you should also be able to get hit through your shield. I hate it when it gets hit by barbed arrows and goes like 5 centimeters through my hand with penalty. Arrows should either stop when thy make contact, or with the metal ones bounce off. There should also be a bigger penalty when it goes all the way to your player body.

You're probably at the wrong section here, this post is about dual wielding, not blocking arrows with a shield - you shouldn't really hold a wooden shield with an arm grip like they do in M&B, due to the fact that you could be hit by an arrow head that penetrated the shield if you did. I think it's partly done to include all shields into one set of animations, which is fine if you ask me, I just imagine that the arrow head never hit me in the first place.

As for metal shield it's not impossible for arrows to occasionally penetrate thick steel, depending on the bow and the steel.
    Here's a video to display arrows shot from English Warbows against 1.5mm of modern high carbon steel.
    I do agree that it would be cool if metal shields were treated differently, with deflecting and breakpoints. I wouldn't expect that change though.
  7. Turona

Badpojken said:
    Ok this thread isn't going to die so I'll cease and desist my attempts to smother the fire, oooh look! some gazoline!

Allright, so cutting a head off is probably verry rare, extremely rare, but what about the chopping of your lower arm? The neck is verry verry boney whilst the lower arms bones are probably the weakest in the body and should probably be possible to sever with a big ass zweihander... or no?

Well the arms are also often one of the first place you protect along with your shins. I'd say that the most likely sever-point would be joints such as elbows or knees, possibly if you can manage to hit between the hand and the arm. But then there's also physics, the hand would probably have to move in a counter direction or face against a surface. Talhoffer has mentioned a technique which would sever the hand from the body while slashing at the hand - but if it would work in practice I do not know - possibly, though unlikely.
  8. Turona

"upgrade all" button

overlord548 said:
    actually you can upgrade all, its ctrl 'click'.

facepalm.jpg

Read the thread before you post, it's been said more than a couple of times.
  9. Turona

favourite historical battle

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
    So... in conclusion, you just like battles because they have large amounts of men.

Great.

Hmm, how did you come to that conclusion?
    I thought that atleast two of them weren't that high in estimated numbers (Hastings and Agincourt), were they?
  10. Turona

Post your Dream Women Mk.2

Spanky89 said:
    Here is some high quality wank material

:grin:
    lee521920x1440.jpg

ev123.jpg

Amy_Lee_004.jpg

Amy_Lee_003.jpg

ev18.jpg
    Apart from the top one, you managed to find pretty dull pictures of her, but I do agree that Amy Lee is a looker - beautiful voice too.
  11. Turona

The towns need a little more custom feel

First off an advice, when you try to write posts and expect us to read a bunch of text, try to separate a few lines, so that it's not all one big bulk of text - I had a hard time skimming through it, were it just a little longer I'd probably just skip the whole post.

I would like more feel and interactions of the villages as well, events and a display of growth (buildings and population). But I can understand if that's not a focus - I mean dating back to the earlier versions of M&B it's come a long way, there's actually life now.

As for placing the buildings yourself I think that's probably a lot more work and very unrewarding in comparison to set maps with the selected buildings available. I do not think we'll be seeing any of that, quite frankly.
  12. Turona

FrisianDude said:
    He's sort of creepy with a pointy head.
    This is what came up when I googled "Creepy pointy head", is that Seff?
    hall9-mummy.jpg
  13. Turona

Speaking of unpleasant dreams...
    I'm just happy I don't have a mental image of Seff yet, or this would give me nightmares:
    Seff said:
    I'd play 'hide the sausage' with her, yeah.
  14. Turona

I personally prefer Emily Deschanel, even though her sister Zooey is very cute.
    You shouldn't even have to google Emily, she's the main actress 'Bones' of the series Bones.
  15. Turona

Bro127 said:
    Not to changed the topic to Deadliest Warrior or anything, but has anyone seen the lastest Deadliest Warriors? They are getting GORELY. They are most of the time shooting heads with shotguns on there now.

Anyone using Deadly Warrior as a reference to anything should be careful what they claim to be accurate on these forums, I for one am extremely sceptic to anything they have to say. =P
Back
Top Bottom