Recent content by ToyBoat

1. ToyBoat

In Progress Scene Editor Crash when painting on resized terrain node

i can confirm the steps provided for reproduction do indeed crash the engine. as detailed in the background information, i first noticed this issue while working on a map originally created prior to 1.7.2 (i don't recall which version the map was started on unfortunately). on the outskirts of the scene, the node resolution was changed to 16x16, and painting on these nodes worked as intended. after an update (and again, i can't confirm which update it was), any new paint layer will not work correctly on the resized nodes. the engine does not crash but instead the brush only affects the very edges of the node, regardless of where the paint is applied. see screenshot:
    unknown.png

here is the same map with the default resolution (128x128, as seen) with the same paint layer working properly:
    unknown.png

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
    RAM: 16GB
    Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD
  2. ToyBoat

Bannerlord Creative Competition: Scene Design Contest

reuploaded banbeck to fix some bugs i missed
  3. ToyBoat

Forum username: ToyBoat
    Scene name: Banbeck
    Screenshots:
    20210226020220_1.jpg
    unknown.png
    20210226020659_1.jpg

Banbeck is a deceivingly simple Vlandian village with an ancient history just beneath its soft soil. Built over the bones of what was first an Imperial settlement, then a Battanian fort, this small hamlet now rests safely within Vlandian territory, catching the eye of weary traders travelling inland. The Vlandian residents of Banbeck have known only peace and prosperity, but it is not uncommon to see pilgrims from the heart of Battania come to pay their respects to the land for which many of their ancestors died.
  4. ToyBoat

Forum username: toyboat
    Scene name: Bagavi

unknown.png

unknown.png
    unknown.png
  5. ToyBoat

When will map editor be released?

Have there been any updates on when the map editor will be released? It's what I'm actually looking forward to and was one of the first big teases we got for the game, so surprised the editor hasn't been brought up after early access started (from what I can tell). Hoping to get the attention of...
  6. ToyBoat

Dev Blog 12/09/19

i think with the higher number of soldiers on the field, it'll make sense to disable that altogether for the most part, and in small skirmishes it won't be as annoying. i almost never had damage info turned on in warband, either.

on another note, i feel as though, now that we have a date next year for early access, waiting is somehow even more difficult. i think i might even skip the blogs at this point.
  7. ToyBoat

Dev Blog 27/06/2019

can't wait to find all the creative gameplay and map exploits in open beta!
  8. ToyBoat

Dev Blog 08/11/18

BIGGER Kentucky James XXL said:
    I had a closer look at the screenshots (with another 3d modeller friend) and there are some very bad signs.

blog_post_65_taleworldswebsite_07.jpg

Look at the closest building. It's flat, essentially a fake building. Warband had these, but they were confined to the very edges of scenes. Unless this is just a mocked up scene for the blog only, it means this image is just window dressing and doesn't represent what the towns are going to be like up close.

What's more, there isn't enough space between buildings to fit a proper street system (with the exception of a very narrow street leading from the right side of the image to the castle, and they seem placed so that we see the front of them rather than to face the streets they're supposedly on. The trees are floating throughout the scene, and clipping with the building under the conveniently placed bannerlord logo.

blog_post_65_taleworldswebsite_05.jpg

This is a little hard to spot if you're not a 3d modeller, but the "normals" on the towers are messed up, meaning the lighting is broken. They're messed up in a specific way which can only be present if they've chosen to model the tree trunks at the corner of the tower. Why they decided to do this is beyond me. It adds nothing to the icon since it's not even a pixel wide, but makes it far higher poly than it needs to be. What's frustrating is that this would be a 2-3 minute fix, and is something 3d artists are trained to spot from day one.

blog_post_65_taleworldswebsite_03.jpg
    warbandtexture.png

Is this a warband texture? Where's the normalmap, seeing as the warband version didn't have one (or didn't have a good one, iirc?)? Is that warband ivy, too? Why reuse these textures which clearly aren't designed for PBR?

I love you guys and sorry for the hakarets and başarılar to you all but please guys i mean come on. Kemal would be spinning in his grave (he's a 3d modeller now, i hear)

it's likely the view in the first screenshot is something you'll be able to see in game, but not an area you can technically access. it would be kind of ridiculous to have an entire city of that scope emulated in-game, but the illusion of such extreme depth does not preclude depth in the scenes themselves. videos of towns have been, so far, fairly promising iirc, but we'll have to see. as for texture (and model) re-use, that's definitely happening, but I'm not sure how prevalent it will be. you can still make Warband look pretty with its weaker assets, but that tends not to show very well in screenshots, as opposed to gameplay in motion (unless it's set up very particularly for the former). think about how often you see something beautiful in real life where your phone camera rarely seems to do it justice.
  9. ToyBoat

Dev Blog 13/09/18

as far as i know, the Total War series didn't have a strong modding focus. it looks like the devs have put a strong emphasis on modding tools themselves here so i'm not sure if it will be as counter-intuitive as other games of the same generation. it would be more comparable, i imagine, to Skyrim, Half-Life 2, Civ, or Minecraft. aside from accessibility, and obvious elements like artists and coders, having a lively, active community can inspire people's passions and keep the ball rolling - hopefully as much as popularity does, since this is the element Bannerlord will be missing when compared to the other games i mentioned... having expendable cash also helps, and with the boom in crowd-source applications, it might be easier to generate that. we'll see, in any case, but i don't find there's any reason not to be more hopeful than pessimistic.
  10. ToyBoat

Dev Blog 23/08/18

the UI has gone through so many changes at this point and i think, as a result, there are some disparate elements. for example, the skill icons themselves, the skill perks, and the icons at the bottom are all in unique styles. not to say it's distracting enough that the devs should change anything, but it is interesting to have followed development for so long you get to see these vestiges of abandoned evolutionary development
    Kentucky James said:
    Why is the qt steppe waifu
    please stop being weird
  11. ToyBoat

Dev Blog 14/06/18

probably the best blog in a while. thank you for the information! can't wait to start making scenes myself.
  12. ToyBoat

Dev Blog 17/05/18

my question is, and it's not wholly related to concept art but, what happened to Ganbat Badamkhand? his art was, to me, quintessential to Mount & Blade, and so evocative.
  13. ToyBoat

Dev Blog 14/12/17

578, it was a bad joke to be honest.

I'm holding off on which faction I'll choose first. I usually go steppe faction, but I'd like to see the others in-game first. this last blog makes the Sturgians look really interesting.
  14. ToyBoat

Dev Blog 14/12/17

Yaga is right about the trees again, and his post beat me to something I've been wondering about, which is the inclusion of bogs, swamps, marshes, fens, and the like, as well as other niche ecological locations which make for interesting battlefields. They're mentioned briefly with the bog-iron resource, but bogs were also extremely important cultural landmarks in the pre-modern era, before they could be easily drained. All sorts of torturous, mystic, and spiritual rites were performed within them. The same can be said of islands, cliffsides, and, of course, major waterways. I hope they'll have a place in the world that isn't simply depicted from the overhead map, or only as part of a retinue of battleground backdrops, even. nature contains many features (including trees!) that are important world-building aspects of any fiction!
  15. ToyBoat

Dev Blog 21/09/17

wonderful post! thank you for this information. I do hope some of the editors are released before the game.
Back
Top Bottom