Recent content by TheGnome

1. I win!!!

I haven't gotten that far in a long time, but I had to turn the cheat option on where you can see the whole map, manually search to find them on the map, then chase them down to eliminate the problem, then turn the cheat back off.  If I'm not mistaken, a caravan can cause the same problem, without the raiding of course.
  2. Faction Wishlist - Rhodoks

You make good arguments.  I have nothing to add.
  3. Faction Wishlist - Rhodoks

Hah.  Yes, they still need a low level bowman.  Crossbows don't make much sense for your everyday peasant conscripts etc.  Yes, crossbows are the Rhodok weapon of choice, but they still wouldn't be as readily available as a regular bow.  So low end bowman would still be used, in addition to the crossbow.

Rather than just heavily armored with polearms, I would think they would still have some dedicated close combat soldiers as well, like the pick, sword, axe with a shield etc.  Swinging polearms still requires a few feet of space to work effectively unless it's just being used to stab.  Bunching soldiers with glaives would limit their effectiveness.  Someone has to fill the gaps etc.  T2 or T3 maybe?  Essentially the same load-out as the other T2 or T3 peasant class, but with no spears, and thus higher skill in 1 handed fighting than polearm.
  4. Regarding plate armor

Bows/crossbows may have then been used for the tactic of wounding vs killing.  As in, kill a man, you're fighting one less, wound him, and you're fighting one less, plus whoever's pulling him off the field and/or taking care of him.

Marius.  You seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject of armor, so I'm going ask rather than try and research it.  From what you've learned, what percentage of an army was made up of plate armor wearing individuals? Can you break down the percentages and types of armor etc.?  Just a broad spectrum number.

Based on the videos, the reading that I've done trying to justify my previous standing on how durable armor was, I've been converted somewhat in the arrows vs plate armor debate, but just how prevalent plate armor was in the army should probably be a much larger debate in the game than how strong it was. 

What I mean is, if a plate armor wearing individual is a tank, can't be stopped from a distance and must be engaged in close combat to overwhelm him, just how many of those people were walking around?
    1 in 10, 1 in 20, 1 in a 100 etc?

If I had to guess, I think the game is probably pretty accurate in regards to how much plate armor is used vs the other armor types?  What do you think?

5. Faction Wishlist - Rhodoks

I'm not in front of my game right now, but do Rhodoks have a T1 or T2 regular peasant bowman?
  6. Regarding plate armor

Marius_Marich said:
    TheGnome said:
    The recipe I believe.  Food is important.  Do you have a copy of that?  Pie sounds really good right now... it's lunch time here.

Here;
    blancmange-recipe.jpg

Don't you dare use high fructose corn syrup, you should not know corn exists yet, so that is basically cheating.

Interesting, but I can't read the calligraphy, or the french, well enough to make google translate do anything for me.

7. Regarding plate armor

The recipe I believe.  Food is important.  Do you have a copy of that?  Pie sounds really good right now... it's lunch time here.
  8. Regarding plate armor

Dawg of War said:
    I get what he is saying about plated armor, but from the game's perspective it just wouldn't balance and that should be easy to understand why if you have put time in the game.  I just had a hard time believing nobody ever in recorded history was killed wearing plate, honestly I don't know... I wasn't there...and I have a hard time believing all history books and videos etc.

Hopefully this discussion stays respectful and on track or its nighty night to this thread.

Technically, he said, " a single named human being".  So it's really no surprise that over the last 400-600 years, someone's name can't be found that specifically says he died by a crossbow bolt or arrow, thus, can't be proven.  Modern recreations don't penetrate the different armors etc., but the tests are in a one-off test, not battle tested.  They aren't done after the armor has been worn to multiple battles, beaten on, repaired etc.  There are a million variables that could weaken the armor prior to a battle where any of those factors could have gotten the wearer killed. 

Posting a video of some guy in a brand new shiny breastplate, being hit by a blunted lance at a slow trot, while he himself is not moving is hardly evidence of anything.  As has been stated, the armor value may not be high enough in this game to accurately represent a real life armor "value", however, it would completely remove all of the fun imo. 

Marius, there is another mod that you may try, that was based on Floris, and implemented Windy's tournament that greatly increased Hit Points and armor values that may better represent what you're looking for.  It was A New Dawn.  I played it before trying Silverstag, and while it was fun, battles took forever, and you would have to beat on heavily armored opponents for a long time to kill them. It took gangs of people beating on some of the higher tiers.  It really took all the fun out of it for me, but it sounds like it may be right up your alley.

edit: This has been bugging the **** out of me.  It's not "looses", it's "loses".  Where are the grammar police when you need them?
  9. Regarding plate armor

Battle of Agincourt.  6,000 heavily armored french, massacred by English archers wielding swords, axes, bows.  Actual history, look it up.  It's famous even. 

Maces, flails, hammers.... all used specifically to crush armor, open holes, break bones, cause internal bleeding.  Are we counting the number than drowned?
  10. Questions about gaining relation points with a Castle

You have to look and see which village is associated with the castle.  You raise your relation with the village, and it transfers to it's associated castle. 

Edit:  I found it on the Wiki here.

11. Khergit Troops Suggestions

krnja21 said:
    TheGnome said:
    To do as you suggest would be more on par with the way the Dark Knights enter in Floris I believe.

Not in Floris, that's Native Expansion you're thinking about :wink:

Thank you for the correction.  I've played a few mods.  They start to run together after a while.

12. Khergit Troops Suggestions

To do as you suggest would be more on par with the way the Dark Knights enter in Floris I believe.  Mid-game, a huge army 'appears' near the border of Calradia, usually around the Rhodoks or Sarranids.  They usually steam roll a few armies, and snap up a town or a few towns and establish a foothold in Calradia.  "IF" that were to happen, would they even start on the map at the beginning of the game?
  13. rifleman and pstolers

Just a reminder, the poll for firearms to be implemented is here on the Rhodok page 1
  14. Rhodok Suggestions

The ones that look like swords.  I probably called them the wrong name.  Even a short sword would work, pick, hatchet, one handed axe, fighting axe, etc.  Anything really that they can use one handed with that monster shield would make them better than they are now with a long pole arm in close fighting.
  15. Khergit Troops Suggestions

They're referring to Nissa's quest.  Talk to Nissa (companion) for more info, lest I spoil it for you.
Back
Top Bottom