Recent content by The_Vlandian_Rollo

1. Iron man mode

I'm not sure I will ever use this feature. What is the point really?
    The Paradox approach makes sense because it's games that are much more flexible. When you load a save you can change characters, accept peace deals etc..

What are the choice we are given in Bannerlord on a typical playthough?
    Mariage proposals boil down to heir culture, there are no alliances, no stats involved. Peace deals are just a calculation of remaining forces or captured lords. There is no tangible gameplay mechanic that truely is affected by some sort of RNG and that affects your game, where you would have do play differently because of it.

Now that I type this out, I realize the only times I reload a save would be early-on to win tournaments to level up faster because I don't want to travel the whole map to find a another tournament, and when one of my trusty companion, that has been with me for 10 years in-game, gets killed in the field because the game put him as a captain and he charged head first into the enemy forces without support.

Other than that there is no real action that the player cannot undo by regular gameplay. Getting your party wiped out is annoying, but you can rebuild it, it's the whole point of the game basically. Tournament outcome hardly matters past clan level 2. Mariage game is based on esthetics only. Companion are also interchangeable or remplacable. You cannot get maimed, disfigured, fall ill or inherit anything.
  2. Game progression in Bannerlords - from adventurer to King

I hate to disagree but there is a noticeable difference in gameplay from merc/vassal to landed vassal in my opinion. Sometime it can be quite the challenge to manage a new castle/town if your finances are not robust enough. And while it never broke my playthough outright, the difficulty gap can be infuriating. You go from leader of a optimized one-culture warband to a recently conquered, economically devasted, on the verge of rebellion town with negative relations. It is a whole different gameplay (of course your mileage may vary but it happened to me in my last playthrough and i had the stupid Conspiracy quests popping up in the middle it was very tedious and not so fun).

Same thing with becoming king. Although it's ussually not painful, but you have to change your whole stategy. I find myself having to reverse all the policies I had voted for as vassal.
    Then in military terms, the first aspect is that the AI never goes on the defensive on the true sense of the term. And given that you are one of the biggest parties in your faction usually, the fact of getting wiped-out almost means instant peace treaty. So it leads to the fact that best overall strategy is to take a back seat, focus on settlement defense, and seldom join/form an army and let the vassals do the conquering.
    In addition, since a lot of diplomacy, wedding proposals and defections have to be made in person, that is basically the king playthrough for me.
    I have to admit that vassal is more fun, but being ruler feels cooler.

One way where I think they could improve that is give cultural bonuses. And not some underwhelming bonus like caravans make 20% more, but kingdom policies that affect gameplay and dare I say internal politics. There is a difference between a "centralized" and "decentralized" kigdom but it is not a gameplay mechanic, it only matters on metrics like money and influence.
  3. My Gut Reaction to 1.6.0

a lot of people asked about smithing improvements, it's just been quite a while since we've heard complaints about it because people have learned to accept the situation (it not being a main priority). It's good we're finally seeing some progress with it imo.
    I'm sorry, I immediately went into venting mode about smithing, it is not relevant to the subject at hand.

But, to clarify, I don't meant to say that they don't need to improve smithing. By all means: improve smithing. It just feels like such a minor problem and it is dealt in such a convoluted manner. Maybe I missed it, but nothing has changed here. There is a new interface, there is the new orders thing, but there is no new gameplay mechanics. The weapons will still be overpriced or whatever. Skill increase an experience gain is still determined on weapon price. The core problems/complaints were not adressed.
    See what I mean? The interface was the problem?

In 1.5.10 they removed a dialogue option that made it possible to make peace with an enemy lord in the field through dialogue. Now you cannot wiggle out of the peace vote once you're in the peace menu (nevermind you might have clicked accidentaly, or the timer hasn't run out, or you want to finish a siege or whatever). But hey, now you can improve relations with a random character if you craft an item with sliders on auto.
  4. My Gut Reaction to 1.6.0

There are so many of the community who, like me, aren't even going to play another damn minute of Bannerlord until:

1) Sieges are working

2) There is some sort of functioning diplomacy with a tiny bit of depth

3) There's a far wider variety of scenes (with functionality)

I don't necessarily agree with 1) and 3) but yeah diplomacy is severly lacking in the game.

I mean for Sieges; you can see that there is some effort and it is mostly going in the right direction. I didn't do a siege since the update but even in previous update despite the army stopping at the inner gate for instance, you had improvments with new siege ladder things, (and I mean why people don't just use catapults in the first place is beyond me).

For diplomacy, it seems it would be simple dialogue options, but for some reason we get a mini-revamp of the Smithy mechanic. Who asked for this? Who asked for any of this?

They didn't even repair the starving cities "mechanic" that was introduced last time.
    It starts to look like these updates are one-step forward, two-steps back.
  5. Problems of Security Variable

Why is Security linked to Loyalty anyways? Like what does it mean in gameplay?
    My opinion is that town management really boils down to food and garrison. Security, Loyalty, Prosperity are indicators that have abstract meaning and can't be influenced directly so it's not really engaging. Providing the town food, ok I understand. Filling up the garrison, yes makes sense. Gameplay-wise I don't understand most of the mechanics. They're useless for the player.

- The siege idea: why not, but in a siege you can interact with the town and it's like a 50/50 chance you'll lose the town anyway.
    - The nearby hideout is great. It would give an incentive to clear them actually.
    - removing starving is good, Food indeed affects too many variables
    - the raided penalty is good, but if it stacks up with the Food penalty you have when the village does not produce anymore then it could be a bit too strong.

Why not calculate Security in terms of Garrison/Prosperity? (and remove Prosperity penalty to Food).
  6. Two Handed: Sword vs Axe ?

Thanks for quick reply! Game wise, which one do you think is better in combat?
    I would it depends if you're on foot or mounted; On a horse you kinda want the longer weapon. On foot, if you're in melee I find that swords are easier to use. So on balance 2H axe is better.

That being said, I am playing empire currently and I accidentally crafted a two handed sword that also works one handed with decent stats, so I've bought a shield with it. More often then not, I find myself using the sword one handed with the shield just to avoid the random arrows or javelins.
  7. Two Handed: Sword vs Axe ?

I feel that culturally the Battanians would use a two handed sword. Yet, in my Sturgia game I have had an excellent time with the Norse Great Axe.
  8. Kingdom decisions do not affect relations

Are you talking about enacting kingdom policies or voting on fiefs or war declarations? Because voting totally gives you relation bonus/penalty with the clans "sponsoring" the vote. Especially as King.

On voting, I believe it is best way to improve your relations with fellow lords, and you end up with a kingdom that is relatively cohesive over time. That is kinda nice. The problem is that it is greatly unfinished to say the least. There are only a couple of good policies and culture doesn't play a role so you end up with the same institution on every playthrough in any kingdom. Also as king you can improve relationships without spending inlfuence.
  9. Starving town can't be helped when I have plenty AND its selling grain?

Hi,
    I just downloaded the beta update and realized almost every town in Calradia was starving. Healthy propserous towns, for instance Praven 14000 prosperity, overflowing with grain sacks: a 14 food decifit each day.

So yeah, not only is there not enough food and the prosperity mechanic is beyond broken at this point, but the problem is compounded by the fact that garrisons recruit autonomously now. In all my games, my garrison are neatly and perfectly set up so they can defend my fiefs and not cost me too much money.

Now all of a sudden the AI recruits to max capacity. And not only recruits mind you, but noble troops.
    So the villages don't produce anymore as they used to, the garrison is full so it means another -20 to food.

I mean, do they even play the game before releasing it?
  10. Capital of the Calradic Empire

I think it's "Saneopa" because former Emperor Drosios Neretzes ruled in there.

Yes but Arenicos ruled from Lycaron, and it is there where he went after the battle of Pendraic and where he was declared emperor before Penton had the opportunity to contest it. And some companions mention the city being looted or going into chaos.

A follow-up question I have is: where is the Senate located?
  11. Emperor Penton Neretzes

This is a great thread idea!

However I disagree on the legitimacy of house Neretzes. If anything the defeat at Pendraic proved that the emperor should be ,at least martially competent, that is why Arenicos claim was so strong. It is also why Penton is disqualified. Unless he personally defeats Garios, and/or other Empires threats militarly, he would still need the Senate vote, and even then he still would not have what Durkheim called traditional legitimacy.
  12. Resolved Can't paste custom banner in 1.3

Same issue. I think they blocked the commands in the Banner Screen. Used to be you could copy paste the banner from the game into the editor.
  13. When is Bannerlord playable?

You are talking to someone who would ask for 1 cent back which he borrowed to his best friend. I value money as I know how much of myself I invest into earning those 500 USD / month, while hating every second of 10h working days and almost nothing left after paying for everything.

Tank of gas is 10-15 USD here. Still means nothing, even if I was the richest man on Earth, I still wouldn't spend a cent on things I consider useless or give a cent to a person that doesn't deserve it, even if that person would die without it.

I've never bought a game, movie, tv show, song etc. , but I played almost everything that was worth playing, watched over 1000 movies and tv shows, listened to so many songs. I would've probably killed myself long time ago if I had to pay for any of those, as I wouldn't be able to and those are the reason I get from bed

Ignore artwork. What is expansive and finely crafted? What is so different compared to Warband? If you never enter a city or a village, but play through text fields, then every city and village is same, just wares and prices change. It's better to be good at one thing than bad or medicore in many. Each of the games I've mentioned is good at one thing. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned Kingdom come, as I only have watched gameplay on YouTube, but my first reaction to it was "oh look, Mount & Blade as it should be"

Point of my post was to share my opinion, without trying to achieve anything. I never try to change someone's opinion as I don't care what people think. Also, I've learned long time ago that it's super hard to change an average opinion, so I'm not even going to try that, ever. I'm far from emotional in general. I see no point in life, so I care about nothing. It would be silly of me to care about a game that I received as a gift and played for a few hours before uninstalling it forever. More than a week has passed since I unistalled it, so it's not about anger and outburst. I check forum from time to time to check the latest patch notes to see what's happening and if there are any interesting topics. I stumbled upon this one and decided to register and comment. I just dislike immorality like selling pre-alpha game for a full price and getting both free testing and money. I would never let myself do anything like that. I'm amused how many people are ready to pay so much money to play something so unfinished and be used by a company.

Not really, as I'm not expecting anything. Just rating a product. I only have the idea what the product should be and that is not too different from the current game or Warband.
    Of course, I've been playing X4 Foundations for a few months now and having a blast every time.

OK Looter!
  14. Clan tiers are pain in the... when You want to build a trade empire

Yes money in this game is a strange concept; I would argue that it goes from the biggest problem you have early game to being completly irrelevant in an instant.
    Basically when you hit the 12000-15000 denars threshold that allows you to buy a shop or sponsor a caravan you are set. You don't really need to trade anymore, even though I like how the trade skill functions and you could still level up form it.

Money should enable you to "buy" more interesting gameplay mechanics.
  15. Yeah the whole Election for a Castle/Town thing has to go

I completeley agree, and it was already an issue in WB. But guys keep in mind the game is hardly finished. I think there will be a more complicated system on top of the one we have, there are already mechanics (that are kind of unused atm) like council approval and ways to disavow/support characters.

But yes you are absolutely right, as of right now playing as a vassal can be frustrating, because you don't really have a say in the kingdoms "policy" and (as far as I know) you cannot rebel or help other clans rebel.
    In other words the game world/kingdom does not register if you're good vassal or bad vassal, an by extension if you are a competent player or incompetent.

Btw as I am writing this I realise that they might implement some kind of clan dissatisfaction in the game, based on the lore, (Detherrt being a weak kind, the Sturgian angry at each other etc...)
Back
Top Bottom