Recent content by The_Italiano_X

1. The_Italiano_X

[Poll] Attack/Shooting while crouching available in Bannerlord

Having it as an option for modders should be a primary concern (taleworlds-wise) for having greater flexibility when modding. Having it in native or having it in banner lord are two different polls in my opinion. Obviously my vote is towards it being available as an option. Each module will make good use of this option as needed.
  2. The_Italiano_X

B Musket Era Old West - Recruiting!

Seems great and seems a great ton of work! Good luck folks! Hope we can play something soon.
  3. The_Italiano_X

BUY IT FROM TALEWORLDS NOT FROM STEAM

I don't think you should worry about mods incompatibility. For sure, during the early access period, you can't count on mods and game updates to be "stable", I guess. When it eventually comes out as full game then, due to its special features for modders, it will be easy to update the mod to the latest patch or even, when updates happen to the game, mods will stay playable. Moreover, you can play with steam updates and download settings and you internet connection in order to not get last patches if needed (and if the tale worlds doesn't force you to update).
  4. The_Italiano_X

Unlimited Corpses on the Battlefield, Please?

There are other things to consider when doing something like this.

You imply there that a considerable amount of the corpses would remain (it sounds like all of them). Some quick points:
    • How's the pathfinding going to handle them (if there truly are many of them)? If the pathfinding uses the pre-baked navmesh of the scene (which they have confirmed it will), then all characters would try to go over/through the bodies constantly. Is the navmesh going to be updated after every dropped body? Or maybe after there are more than two dropped bodies piled up? Updating a navmesh can be costly and if the fights are in the magnitudes of 500v500, there would be considerable amount of updates, often within short intervals. This could eat up the ms budget of the frames.
    • How are the collisions going to work? Do the characters go through the bodies or do they step (or even climb) over them? The latter would be pretty hard to program and would probably be a lot of unnecessary work for very little to show for it. This combined with the pathfinding problem is going to be a big headache, however skillful the team tackling the problem.
    • Continuing with the previous point, are they going to be static? If, say, a horse would ride fast over a sea of bodies and hit it, would the bodies move? If not, would the horse then fall down like you would expect (if there truly are many bodies, not a couple ones spread around)? Or would it go through the corpses like it was air? Any of the options would ruin either the immersion of the moment OR the fun of the core loop (i.e being constantly tackled by corpses). No winning scenario here unless there would be massive overhauls on the locomotion logic both without a mount and with one.
    • The psychology of a player tinkering with the settings: If there is an option for the persistent bodies but together with all the other things that eat up the processing budget it would considerably lower the average fps for most, so majority of the players would feel like they are missing out. Maybe it bums them out, maybe not, but it will affect the psychology of someone who has to either set the setting low, or maybe he will lower some other settings in order to allow for a higher setting on the corpses. Now this can lead to many other complications such as if people feel like the corpses are essential for immersion (provided that a proper way to deal with hundreds of bodies on the ground is even discovered), they will turn the corpse setting up and other settings down, resulting in for example, worse looking clips on youtube or streaming platforms. That could be bad for the public profile of the game, especially so if they use the graphics as a selling point (not sure if they will, but who knows).
    This is all to say that having some bodies but cleverly removing them unintrusively will be A) way more efficient in terms of work hours and results and B) visually more immersive if indeed done well and unintrusively. If there are a lot of bodies on the ground and our eye registers a lot of the alive characters just passing through them (which would likely be how it works now?) it will break immersion. This is not to say that disappearing bodies isn't breaking the immersion, it's just that in the heat of the moment, if done correctly, the player would not actively register that there are bodies disappearing. But other characters constantly clipping through bodies would be an eyesore (as opposed to clipping through a single body in passing, which our eyes likely can deal with provided that around the body there's enough free space that the movement looks natural after passing the body).

I mean it would certainly be cool. In my eyes I can imagine an intense fight with visuals akin to the GoT battle of the bastards. Is it likely to be successfully implemented in a game that has a million other things going on at the same time in a dynamic, open-ended battlefield? Not right now, no.

Edit: The reason why they might not want to expose that to players/modders is maybe they have a very finely tuned clever solution to the above problems that also partly exist with limited amount of corpses. Maybe they have realized through testing that they can keep a certain specific amount of bodies before either the disappearing starts to break the immersion or the other problems would start to break it.

This explains pretty much everything. Thanks.
  5. The_Italiano_X

Dev Blog 08/11/19

Norseman said:
    Obviously you've run out of things to talk about. Just stop the "weekly" blogs already they're low quality and you're already goin weeks at a time without posting. Unprofessional.

The described work behind global illumination, inside a custom game engine, seems professional to me. I don't know what they're talking about specifically, but I can see some dedication here and there. What's the point knowing everything of the game months before? These are blogs intended to involve the community, I guess. They can't publish hours and hours of gameplay mechanics and stuff in videos in the blogs. That's not the point. Sometimes, though, they come out with some interesting readings about mechanics and particular things which obviously are greatly appreciated (and maybe they publish them in a bad form, with not enough in blog resources etc. but it's ok come on).
  6. The_Italiano_X

New Blog Schedule

Imagine if Callum is just playing with us. There's no game, there's no beta, there's no Taleworlds.

Everyone who is saying to play the beta is just someone who agreed (or has been paid) with Callum to joke on all of us. The various gamescom have been maybe just some small Turkish events with someone who agreed on some photos and videos to share on the forum and all over the internet. The critics are blind as we are and they only watched the videos online to get an idea of the game, for the sake of views and advertising. They are just good enough on some video editors and crafted some videos of the game (fakingly) been played. That's why there are the same 4/5 videos running around.

And now Callum has just started trying some deeper jokes on us, just to see how much we can handle before realizing... congratulations to him and all the folks following him. Nice job, it lasted many years, you and everyone here should be really proud of what you've done.

It's been great to have spent all this time with you, community. Hype isn't everything, we should really smile and look forward :smile:

By the way, I'm joking (hopefully). Just calm down. Maybe it's not professional, maybe it is. It just depend on which perspective we see all of this. Just wait and be polite to anyone here, especially the TW members.
  7. The_Italiano_X

Bannerlord Worries

Wise and polite words.

I also think we shouldn't come to a point where Callum or a tw member has to come here and tell everyone the obvious only to remark we're free to do things. I feel a little bit embarassed.

However, keep up the great work! Personally I'm 100% sure to buy it in early access.
  8. The_Italiano_X

Bannerlord Worries

Let's put some fake numbers and see:

Released game = finished game (more or less certain about it) -> 50 money
    Pre-access to the game = finished game some days/weeks before (plus bonus content sometimes) -> 50 money + 20? money = 70?money
    EA game = unfinished game + pre-access to the game + finished game when (if) released -> 30? money + 20?money + 0? = 50? money

The math behind is just "normal" I guess. If you trust the devs then you're pretty sure about ending up with a great game. Maybe you can even play an active part in adjusting some game mechanics in the process, which would not be addressed otherwise.

I don't see nothing particularly wrong. Maybe they can lower the price a bit for the "trust" we gave them, as if it was in a kickstarter campaign and you buy one of the first N copies, but that's it.
  9. The_Italiano_X

beta.taleworlds.com

Good luck. I'm from italy and signed up early. However, still waiting. Welcome home, my friend!
  10. The_Italiano_X

New Blog Schedule

I think they're still using the blog thing about the updates from the game (but not limited to I guess), which will also be the format when the game will be in EA and (possibly) after the final release, in order to inform the community about just everything in a more general and "official" way than using the forum for whoever use the forum. They can also public them on steam and eventually on other platforms, so I think they (the blogs) are welcome.
  11. The_Italiano_X

Dev Blog 26/09/19

Thanks for the great and clear explanation. Guess it's now up to them to listen to the community feedback and adjust things accordingly if they will to do so... I'm worried about that "accessible e-sport" thing because, in my opinion, it also ruined other games. Don't know if you guys are familiar with the MotoGP game series by Milestone, but here's the story short: medium size company, official MotoGP license (exclusive), great expectation (and chance to deliver a great game) -> ended with a strange feeling game with no will to be even remotely simulating a motorbike physic nor to adjust some aspects of the game besides the riding experience. Everything is advertised with every media to bring people to the e-sport thing (which I love, I'm an e-sport driver in some 4wheels sim games) but results in a "meh" game for the most of the people (personal opinion) because they just don't care about some other things and do everything with a goal which is different from the large part of the community.

However, I did not see with my eyes (yet) some decision by TW which could prospect this.
  12. The_Italiano_X

Dev Blog 26/09/19

Of course remaining in silence and quietly accepting everything TW does about their games is not an option (or maybe not a smart one). It's great that there are many community members which advice, criticize and generally help TW, expecially during the development phase, and I do recognize it should happen.

Apart from core mechanics issues, I see a lot of threads going on about "this is not ok" etc etc, like the video about cav vs inf I was supporting cherac on, which I think should be more grateful to have something than to want to change it to their desire. My fear is that expectation can lead people in the wrong path to follow.

That doesn't mean TW is god and we can't change what they're doing, but also doesn't mean the opposite. TW itself knows about how important is to collect more information now than ever, because it will help them refining bannerlord to almost perfection. I'm just a little bit sad and worried and tired when, below every single thread, people complains. It's just a little bit sad that's all. And now I'm also a little bit worried about those core mechanics faults which seems to set the game as unplayable (sort of, at least unenjoyable).

That being said, I truly hope bannerlord to be as great as my expectation raised to when I firstly see its announcement trailer back in the past. We're on the same boat in the end.
  13. The_Italiano_X

Dev Blog 26/09/19

The core mechanic, as seen in some videos, is the same as in warband but with some adjustments and "improvements" like shield bashing, swinging and swinging back animations etc. (warn me if there are more differences, apart from game modes etc.). So you're telling me that the "same" core mechanic don't work well in bannerlord.

Two question arises:
    • do they used to work well in warband? (in my opinion yes, based also on the fact that I was expecting nothing from that game and it surprised me and still keep doing it)
    • aren't we just pretending bannerlord to have such an improved core mechanic which would surprise us just like warband (maybe) did with some of us?

Of course, it's still possible the third way: the core mechanic in bannerlord would be fine for everyone if only it worked seamlessy without troubles and "things" which ruin everyting (bad timing, etc). What you're also telling me is that bannerlord is and is going to be a "subpar" game (agree on that, if we look at it on the dev/resources point of view). What's an unwise decision? Because I agree that there could be (and there are apparently) hundreds of small problems which cost time and people and testing to resolve (hopefully) and "explain why it was so bad". But, is there a solution to this? Because I really want TW to devote itself on resolving (with the community maybe) those kind of small problems. But I also don't think a "slight delay before jump" problem is obtained after a "unwise decision". Maybe it's just a result of some mechanics put togheter. Then they'll have feedback on that. If they ignore it then MAYBE they have made an unwise decision (ignoring or bad resolving the issue).

Are we at that point, already?
  14. The_Italiano_X

Dev Blog 26/09/19

Sorry for joining the party, but I would like to tell my perspective. I don't agree with cherac 100% but I stil think we should calm down a little. Or maybe just see what will be, because that cavalry charge seems "realistic" and fine to me. Obviously there should be something more for the ai part, but also consider there was an equal number of inf and cav in that charge, which is something that should not happen (in a balanced game) or maybe just happened because of a great in game strategy (cavalry speaking).

I don't own a beta key so I didn't test the game so far, but I'm here everyday to read what you guys comment about and it's always fun and informative. But it's also true that we have high expectations for whatever we look at. Because if we take one single game mechanic at a time, there would always be a way to do it better, and the forum is full of advices, critics and so on. But if we look at the game in general (fully featured) it doesn't look bad at all. Maybe (and that's also my point of view), everyone expected a great improvement over the M&B series because every single AAA game around is packed by great features and bring new things every year (criticism and cost apart). And we feel like in 2019 we SHOULD expect more.

I think TW, as a team, is proud of what they're trying to achieve and we should be too, expecially considering we all are a small portion of the videogame industry, but we as a community (and also tw should be) are always here to support this kind of devotion. And I'm really looking forward to put my hands over this title and see what a (near) future (further) dev on it could bring.

Also me, a great fan of Warband and NW, mostly for the MP part, I'm losing hype on the game because of all these cricitism I see around. Maybe they're (the critics) right but I'm confident. What you guys think about all the bad things of Bannerlord? Are they so damn bad to let your hype fall? Just curious here (not sarcasm) beucase I was really looking forward to see what TW could bring to our community (and maybe enlarge it with a great game).
  15. The_Italiano_X

Bannerlord Closed Beta

Not sure if you're speaking about the closed beta or the public beta. Free applying on their website is available only for the latter. The videos and streaming you see about the "beta" are from the closed beta, to which you cannot freely signup (I guess).
Back
Top Bottom