Recent content by Storm0711

1. siege ai

Do these problems happen when you DONT use siege towers? Siege towers are simply broken beyond saving. Never ever use siege towers both in vanilla and RBM. Also, always choose NOT to spawn your own siege engines in the actual battle with the exception of ballistas when you are the attacker, because they will cause more teamkills than normal kills. Obviously you can use yours siege engines during the strategic map phase of battle to destroy enemy engines and walls.

Also never serve other lord in his army its good way to get captured and to lose your army. Just get enough influance by getting proper buildings, laws, traits and by winning battles, sharing food with starving soldiers of other lords that are in your armies and by having your own clan parties in your army (this actually gives you daily influence and it costs nothing to add them to your army).

Edit: also some maps are buggy and might not function correctly in both vanilla and RBM because their main doors are unlocked or because defender AI constantly opens them which confuses the **** out of attacker AI.
    I can't exactly recall if the enemy AI used towers along with ladders often when I started using RBM but I don't think they did in most of the sieges because of the usually overwhelming advantage in numbers they often had over me when I defended. I'm trying to think back but I do believe when they would use all ladders they would still crowd around and use 1 ladder per wall at a time to get up even with RBM. Sometimes they would alternate ladders with maybe a few going up the other one at best. When the few enemies would get up the secondary ladder most of the defenders moved to block off the new crowded ladder the enemy crowded on, ignoring the other one nearly completely, resulting in the few enemies killing my men from the back, which I had to save them from.

I'm starting to realize I can't join armies anymore...which bothers me a lot. I would never use a tower tbh but I can't stop the AI and when I was in the army they would often build at least 1 tower (I can't recall the times when we didn't have towers because it was rarely), so I guess I gotta avoid certain sieges. I really liked the one siege tower that is just a ramp because I never had issues with that at least. It's unfortunate I only have been able to use it like 3 times, I'm also not sure which map uses it though, partially wish they all did.
  2. siege ai

Yes, the Siege AI is the most glaring failure of this game in my opinion.
    Little funny story about it.
    Have been playing the last beta version (I mean, beta *beta* version) and I was having a really successful campaign, 30 years old start, vassal of the northern empire. 74 tier 4-5 units after... 35 days, give or take a couple.
    I had just recently pledged to the northern empire and joined an ongoing siege, the northern empire was sieging Baltakhand. I joined the fray and the experience I had was ridiculous. They had 210 defenders, mostly militia, while we had 1200+ soldiers with a huge number of menavlion and bucellarii. Our own catapult managed to somehow destroy both of our siege towers... killing at least 40 men in the process. Then the ram was pulverized by a defenders' catapult. Ok, I think, the men will probably use ladders... but wait! They raise the ladders, step on them... then get stuck and not even while taking casualties will they advance further! Thankfully a group of soldiers started bashing the main gate with swords: after a while it went down, our soldiers took the other gate out in short order... and eventually the city was ours. 520 losses.
    Ok, now... surprisingly the city is awarded to me of all people! I stock up on recruits, forced villages to give me more men, eventually I could field 300 decent soldiers against an onslaught of 1500 attackers who didn't make me wait longer than three days to come and siege me. With no help in sight I decided to fight. Historically, 300 good men would be too much for 1500 attackers (most of which are either peasants or cavalrymen.)
    Anyways, skip to the second siege. Already, the interface won't allow me to separate groups in a decent, intuitive or even working manner so I can tell X infantry to guard the right side while I tell Y infantry to guard the left, or the gate. The archers? I manually place them in two separate groups on the walls. Looks good I thought, and then the siege started. We had 2 catapults and 2 ballistas. I managed to destroy the battering ram moments before it took down the gate by literally throwing rocks at it. Good, I think, now I can tell the other soldiers to guard the f***ing walls instead.
    Oh no. The soldiers refuse to move. Most of my infantry decides to run aimlessly (even with the charge orders) from the left to the right stairs without actually engaging the enemy. Those who reach the walls stare at the enemy which they could easily surround and keep from getting on the walls WHILE BACKPEDALLING LIKE MICHAEL JACKSON.
    But the archers, the archers must be doing great, right? Wrong. Those on the perfectly placed towers are facing... the wrong side. I teamkill one of them to see if he's used any arrows: he hasn't. Not a single arrow from the right and left tower for the ENTIRETY OF THE SIEGE. The other archers have been standing in full view of the enemy archers (without even trying to use the cover in place for them to take shelter) and are all either dead or staring at the void that is their mind while the enemy scales the walls. All this time, I've had 100 infantrymen told to either STAY ON THE WALL or CHARGE. What did they do instead? They avoided the enemy and ran from a stair to the other. Great.
    So at this point the siege is lost - 300 vs 1500, ok, acceptable right?
    Only that I killed 35 in that battle. My entire army of 300 something killed 49. All thanks to the absolutely retarded AI.
    *Italian chef's kiss*
    If I had a nickel for every time the AI backpedaled while struggling to target and kill enemies on the wall, or had enemy AI get up 1 ladder while all of the allied troops focus on the other ladder just for the enemy to start hitting them in the back with no attempt to defend themselves, I would be hella rich. Watching my troops not block or find cover from easily avoidable arrows kills me both figuratively and literally. Trying to defend from an overwhelming enemy force is made annoyingly more difficult when half of my defenders get taken out by arrows because they refuse to block or move into cover. I literally watched as my top tier troops were just face tanking shots, I tried real hard blocking for them in vain, it was pretty dumb but a little funny.
  3. siege ai

There's no solution except using Realistic Battle Mod (which makes ladders work much better) and never building siege towers. No way to stop towers being used if you're in an AI-led army though.
    I am using RBM which I had hoped would help but it doesn't seem much better in sieges unfortunately. I was really hoping over a year's time it would at least be workable or improved, but surprisingly it is not. I'm not asking for genius level AI but at least make them capable of using the basic methods necessary to have a siege. If it at least worked on a basic level I honestly wouldn't complain, I could at least work with that. It is just surprising to me that such a major issue which prevents proper core gameplay isn't a bigger priority.
  4. siege ai

I have little doubt that this topic has been brought up numerous times but I need to vent. I do love this game. It in many ways is for sure an upgrade. Siege ai though hasn't gotten ANY better since warband and potentially even worse and it is killing my enjoyment of this game. I have 2 siege...
  5. Multiplayer for Native not working at all

I have had the same issue and cannot seem to get it fixed.
  6. NW Completed [NA]Pyrots Weekly public Linebattles

Fridays, sorry
  7. NW Completed [NA]Pyrots Weekly public Linebattles

Regiment Name: 10thBI
    Detachment role: Artillery
    Expected attendance: 4-6 +
  8. NW Completed Saturday Siege Event [NA] (Accepting applications)

Application for Artillery:
    Estimated attendance: 4+(for the artillery stand alone)(this is in addition as we will have our line company as well)
    Will you also field line?: yes
  9. NW Completed [NA]Pyrots Weekly public Linebattles

Date you're applying for: 11/9/2012
    Detachment role: Artillery
    Expected attendance: 3-6+
  10. Who Are Your Civil War Ancestors?

I am sure I had more than 1 ancestor that fought during the Civil war and all of them have lived in America since they left Germany before the American revolution or at least before the mid 1800's. The only one I am sure of is my 3rd great grandfather who was a 2ndLt in the 111th Pennsylvania Infantry, who fought at gettysburg, and his name was Samuel S. Bloom.
  11. North & South: Suggestions

Yes, I understand if it was a European based game, but this is set in America, they did not spell it with Color with a u. I am not trying to make it as a big deal I am just mentioning that it would make more sense if it were to be changed.
  12. North & South: Suggestions

Hinkel, Americans spell Colour Sergeant as Color Sergeant. You may want to change the spelling of the class to be more accurate.
  13. North And South Line Battle Rule Set Discussion

I understand your point, though I dislike it. I must say one thing and understand this is from Wikipedia; there had been 4 types of cavalry at the time and 2 of them , including mount infantry, did get off horses to shoot. Regular cavalry that was armed with shotguns for the confeds and carbines and sabres for the union did fight from horseback. I understand that charging into the enemy is not the most tactical way of doing things. I would think that at least allowing cavalry to shoot from a distance in a semi sort of line would at least be acceptable.
  14. North And South Line Battle Rule Set Discussion

What kind of cav unit dismounts EVERYTIME they shoot? They would be highly ineffective in some cases and they aren't mobile at that point. They CAN dismount and skirmish but that is not their only purpose. By forcing to dismount you take away potential strategies and that could be used.
  15. North And South Line Battle Rule Set Discussion

Just because you are shooting from horseback does not mean you aare going to rush right into the enemy. I'm sure that guns were used on horseback during the civil war as a way to annoy and take out a few enemy troops while on the move. You do not need to charge the enemy to shoot them from horseback while moving. While their attention is directed toward another friendly line then the moving cavalry can flank them and shoot them from the side or back. By forcing them to dismount you are taking away more of what they could have done to take out the enemy. Also is the fact that if you dismount and leave your horse there is a good chance you won't see it again lol.
Back
Top Bottom