Recent content by Spec

1. Spec

[IG] Guard of Istiniar - A clan for Mount&Blade Warband {Closed}

Thanks a lot :wink:

And sorry for summoning Gavin, I guess. :p
  2. Spec

[IG] Guard of Istiniar - A clan for Mount&Blade Warband {Closed}

Nabs!

I asked one of your members to forward this message, but sadly that either did not happen or it did not have the effect I hoped for^^

I'd like to request my unban from the IG Forums. The reason for this (self-requested) ban has since disappeared and I'd like to, while not currently rejoin the clan, talk to you guys again :wink:

Gavin!^^
  3. Spec

Rhodok Tactics

Who cares about the damn Sarranids and Swadians? :p

Rhodoks can be quite good. Since the latest patch, Sergeants use their polearms against cavalry, making them a viable unit again. They're probably among the best infantry units because they are practically immune to archers and can do well against both other infantry and against cavalry. Still get beaten by Nords, but that's what Nords do. Beat people in infantry battles.

Their crossbowmen are the most powerful ranged unit and don't need to be replaced often because they, too, are practically immune to archers and okay-ish in melee.

If you're facing mainly archers, like in a siege, it's a possible strategy to just stand in a formation and wait. The enemy will usually run out of ammo before a single shield breaks. These things are really good. And almost no chance of an arrow or bolt going past the shield due to its immense size.

You don't want them to be in a bad position, obviously, like being outnumbered by cavalry or attacked by two troop types at once. The shields are useless when you'd rather have them use their glaives against cavalry, but the glaives are not exactly the best choice when being shot at. If both happens at once, they're screwed, so make sure that the cavalry charges hit you long before the archers get in firing range.

What I do is wait. I never charge unless it's bandits or something. If you don't go near your enemy, but instead look for whatever hill you can find and position the archers on top and the infantry slightly in front and below of them, cavalry is going to be slowed down, and is going to be cut off from their support while the glaives slaughter those who survive the sharpshooters. I found it quite easy to fight Swadians this way. Sure, knights usually kill a bunch of your sergeants, but it's very easy to replace them and they're still falling less frequently than other unmounted troops in that situation.

Just make sure your troops stand really tight.

In a siege defense, you're quite good with Rhodoks, as has been said. Best ranged units, and the infantry can barely be killed by counter-fire.

I have the hardest time, playing mainly Rhodoks, in siege offense. If they get shot in the back, their shields don't help them, and they usually get stuck on the ladder because they don't have enough space to swing their weapons. Once you've breached the lines - or managed to lure the enemy to some type of open ground - you'll do a lot better, though, especially with a tight formation of relatively cheap high-level units. Invest in training skill and surgery. Keep your men alive even if they fall, and replace those who die, and you'll never have any units below Sergeant/Sharpshooter, except for the fresh recruits. Don't even need to make much money to entertain that army.
  4. Spec

How famous is the above player?

Wezyk. Joined IG when I did and is now a knight :eek:
  5. Spec

New competitive maps please?

No harm in testing it out, I suppose. I'd also like to play in a forest much rather than in towns and open fields all the time.
  6. Spec

Hm. Not many clan leaders interested yet it seems. Who exactly has been contacted so far?

Either way, updated Rhodok Town here:
    http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/116384406-4.jpg

With this description about tactical elements (taken from the Calradia Explorers Guild forum thread about the map):

The map is laid out as a infantry focussed battle map, like Nord Town. It is ensured that a large part of the map can be accessed by cavalry; cavalry is able to ride around most of the town in an 8-shape, additionally some 'dead end' areas can be accessed, but pulling out there after combat is a bit trickier.

I intend to place one teams' spawn at the castle, and the others' at the graveyard/gate area. From spawn to spawn, it's about 35-40 seconds of walking in almost a straight line. Visual contact can be made earlier. Buildings and archways as well as different height levels ensure that directly shooting from one spawn to the other is impossible, however. The castle spawn has three direct routes the players can take: Two lead up on an elevated area of the town, the third with only a slight elevation directly to the town center. The graveyard spawn too has three direct routes: Outside a small gate into the village outside, directly through the archway to the town center, or to a garden-type area that is also slightly elevated. This means both teams have direct access to high ground - accessing that high ground from the other side (from the town center) is a bit more tricky and leaves you open to attacks from archers stationed there. Graveyard-teams' elevated garden only has two paths leading towards it, one from the back (from the graveyard), and a more easily defendable one from the front (from town center). Castle-teams' elevated street can be accessed from four ways. Two at the back, two at the front. It can not be accessed by horses, making it a different type of area that will mainly be attractive to archers and infantry, as it grants great mobility and a good overview over most of the town. Due to the many access routes, however, it is less easy to defend against infantry and archers - cavalry however, as I said, can not reach that area. This hopefully will force the team that spawns on that side to use different tactics, without giving it any advantage or disadvantage over the "garden team". From the graveyard, a little village can be accessed. From there, a gate leads back into the city and towards the elevated street. A somewhat hidden siege ladder leads up onto the outer city wall. Another siege ladder within the walls also leads up there - a third one leads up to the wall from the opposite direction, from the elevated street. This means both teams, should they both rush to it, would take about the same time until their archers can be deployed on the wall (which is an important strategical position). Graveyard team has two ways to access the wall, while castle team only has one ladder leading up there; however, that one ladder is very easy to defend, and should castle team HOLD the wall, they, in turn, have at least two ways to flank the other team from.

Generally, the most important strategical location will be that wall, along with either the elevated street or garden, depending on where the teams decide to go. The garden is a lot easier to attack as cavalry and doesn't offer as much protection for infantry and archers, which means a cavalry, focussed team is best setting up their defenses there, hoping to lure the enemy into attacking that place and then surprising them with a mounted charge. An archer-heavy team should rather attempt to take the elevated street and wall as soon as possible. Flag spawns aren't decided yet, I suppose I will place one to the elevated garden (to make that place more important), one to the town square in the middle (a place that's otherwise too dangerous to hang around at), and maybe one between the wall and the elevated street, which means both teams probably have archers watching over that place, with possible cavalry support from the town center (warning though, cavalry has to pull out the same way they came in here, as they can't access the elevated street, making it a risky decision to use cavalry at that place).

Generally, everything's up to debate and likely subject to change, but I tried to include many possible paths and playstyles, strategical elements and such, without making the map overly complex or confusing, and keeping a hopefully rather good balance. (No mirror balance, though. I hope noone will have an advantage, but there IS a difference between the two spawns. Asymmetrical balance ftw, imo.)
  7. Spec

200/400 with or without AI grids?
  8. Spec

Hmm... Come on, the idea is good, there will inevitably be something like this at some point, might as well be now :p

I'd have a first basic (WIP!!!!) map layout here for example, heavily inspired by Nord Town; Rhodok Town. Will add lots more places and paths to outmaneuver the enemy, and perhaps another large area if the map is too small right now.

Edit: forgot the link: http://de.xfire.com/video/4aeddb/

Edit2: Map. Red lines are default paths the players can take. Orange is where you can't go. Green bits indicate stairs and ladders, yellow bits indicate gates and doors. Spawns are temporary, I will probably move them to be further away from one another with none having a noticable strategical advantage.
    overviewd.png
  9. Spec

Might be willing to contribute as mapper.
    (Been mapping for IG and Ndition's)
  10. Spec

How famous is the above player?

Vincenzo's rather famous, of course. Oh, and about that Morii guy, I hear he's known as a truck-flipper, flipping trucks and such.
  11. Spec

Native Completed Nditions' European Duelling Tournament II! | Won by [M]!

Withdraw mine too. Excuse the inconvenience.
  12. Spec

Native Completed Nditions' European Duelling Tournament II! | Won by [M]!

You know what Alex, sign me up.
  13. Spec

Patch 1.142 Attack Mechanics

Ah yes, now it makes sense. What you experience, OP, is not the character changing attack directions. That's impossible unless you cancel the current attack with a block (blocking to cancel an attack and then readying a new one immediately is called a feint, and is what people referred to in a lot of the posts above).

What's happening is simply the character slightly changing the way the weapon is held - a right swing remains a right swing, it just changes from being a lower right swing to an upper right swing, for instance. This only happens on horseback, and the attack isn't any different apart from where exactly the sword will hit; it was changed in order to look more realistic (no slashing through your own horse), and there's no option to disable it apart from, perhaps, some mod.
    You'll have to get used to the point where the swing changes. Once you know how to hold your weapon in order to avoid the animation changing, you'll know exactly where it will hit.

Also, this change does not at all affect the way the attack can be blocked. A right swing - even when the animation changes the way you hold the sword a little - still can be blocked with a left block. So when an enemy does this - don't worry, your block direction does not need to change in order to block that hit.
  14. Spec

Can somebody make me a MP/Custom Battle battle scene?

I'd do it, but sadly night maps are indeed not possible in Native from all we know.
  15. Spec

Long Axe variants will be unbalanced.

Kitten-mew! said:
    All "heavier" weapons already do. It's called blockstun. Try overhanding somebody's block when they're using a one-handed sword and you're using a greatsword. Occasionally, their weapon will depress even further than usual and you'll have a window to make another attack.

Yar, I know. It's still rather silly to see huge two handed weapons like the bardiche blocked by normal one handers with ease. If the stun happens, the enemy notices that instantly anyway and just blocks again. The stun also doesn't give you time for a proper feint or anything, so blocking the next strike is also quite easy. Any somewhat experienced fighter should be able to easily block the next strike after a stun.
Back
Top Bottom