Recent content by SonKidd

1. Modding in C# feels incredibly boring and tedious.

Seems like many people have made good points already (the system is not ready to be judged, a lot of reverse engineering...).

For those who don’t like the verbosity or complexity of object oriented C#, given the flexibility of C#, I’m sure someone will come up with a scripting language interface for it eventually (some people even came up with a lua or something modding alternative for warband...). Also actually even with Warband people did ddl hooks into the engine to add modding functionality iirc (WSE), now it’s just possible without super low level programming knowledge.

And one more point for those who think coding C# is boring.. I found hunting bugs and the development process in warband boring.. No one enjoys using 100x on screen print statements to check if your variables are correct. Also developing anything more complex (some amazing person made a dynamic array allocator and a spartial tree data structure back the day) is downright horrible. With the new module system (I must admit that these two points are not unique to C#), a lot of this boring and tedious work would be much easier.

80% of this threads arguments honestly doesn’t make much sense... This has nothing to do with OOP or scripting, dynamically typed or whatever. Python (not saying Warband actually used Python, just saying if a scripting language was chosen) has OOP and procedural, adding optional typing, C# has OOP and procedural, LINQ (semi functional), dynamic typing... whatever you name. Those who are saying that these complexity arrises from the module system not being ready is spot on, and it mostly isnt related to the language choice.

For those who want to do simple stuff, wait a bit, I’m willing to bet that the new flexibility will allow serious modders to come up with tools and methods that let you do all the stuff you want much easier than in Warband.

If you don’t wait... Then you have to learn proper programming.
  2. Mount & Blade doesn't start [Windows 10]

Sorry for necroing this topic - but I did extensive searching for a similar issue and could not find any solutions and just landed on this page. Took me two hours to figure it - and hope I could possibly save people some time in the future.

Symptoms:
    - Run Mount and Blade Warband and it does not run (steam or normal). Nothing shows up: launcher, message, crashing, nothing.
    - RGL Log shows only two lines:
        Starting new log file.
        Version:  1.168

Solution
    - This is caused by MB not being able to locate the Documents/Mount&Blade Warband folder
    - Go to Microsoft One Drive -> Settings -> Auto-save -> Documents -> Set to 'This PC only'.

Hopefully this helps someone.
  3. LoL-League Of Legends

Bmen said:
    Shameless self promoting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o89SICFGXY&list=UUTANeif5LiJVWsz-sz7ZXqw&feature=c4-overview
    lol you guys wrecked that sona sivir quite hard in lane, only if you got flash ignite instead of tp lol.

I'm here for the same reason (shameless promoting) - checkout this new site my friend made:
    http://tblolol.com/

basically it's a big list of league of legends websites (hence the name the Big List of League of Legends) - there are some pretty good, under-the-radar ones - check it out :grin:.
  4. How to find out whats making my Module System act like a spastic child?

True lol... Someday I'll have to stop being lazy and actually learn how to use some sort of revision control thing.
  5. How to find out whats making my Module System act like a spastic child?

Lumos said:
    Make backups and test every change

Best advice ever.

When I modded I actually did backup every change. You never knew when MS will explode.
    fpaZEPU.png

With persistence and experience you'll eventually have a grasp for what will work, and what needs testing, before know whether it will explode. But then at the most unexpected time, everything will blow up again...
  6. Warband Save Tool (WBST) - alpha update #5, 2/23/2014

very nice, i tried but gave once long time ago :razz:.

Good luck!
  7. News:a chinese game copying M&B is around the corner

Some Questions:

It seems like it's two completely different games here people are talking about, the first post with the screenshots and the video post seems to be quite different. Like the graphics seem to be much better in the screenshot, am I getting this right? Or is it actually just the same game?

Some Viewpoints:

Huge wall of text incoming. Just wanted to give you guys an "(half) insider" perspective on the situation.

Disclaimer: From Hong Kong, considered to be part of China, but with a different legal and political structure.

Quite obviously both (or if they are the same one, the)  games are blatant rip offs of Mount and Blade. For the screenshots, the maps are almost identical to the Arena and ruins. For the video, the blocking, punching animations can be considered direct copies of Warband ones. Without doubt, the games are illegal copied games of Mount and Blade.  For those arguing against it, they are either not looking at the evidence provided or just lying to themselves.

Before I go on with my other points, I would like to give some background on the copyright situation in China. China has almost no, or just nearly unenforceable copyright laws - there are much more blatant copyright issues unaddressed which spans across the internet industry to even theme parts and much much more - this MB ripoff, is nothing special and nothing surprising. (Examples http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1998580,00.html). But there are two common misconceptions, firstly, China does not only ripoff foreign products, this is not an "anti-foreigner" thing. Secondly, the reason behind these "rip-offs" are not completely commercial, but also political for some cases. I mentioned the first point to point out not only foreign companies are being damage by such a system, plenty of small Chinese companies come up with successful innovative products that get pushed out of the market and 'eaten' by big companies that can copy their product with much more marketing and R&D budget - small Chinese companies are being hurt by this system too. To elabourate on the second point, China has it's own Facebook (Renren), WhatsApp (WeChat), Twitter (WeiXin or something), Google (Baidu), Google Maps (cant rmb), Wordpress/Blogger/Tumblr (Sina or something), again the prime motivation is not to damage foreign companies or gain an economic advantage, but to gain more control over the Internet in China due to political reason. Obviously, for MB ripoff, the motivation is most purely commercial, but to understand the whole situation such a digression was necessary.

Building on the last two points, I would like to bring out a new perspective that is often not understood when outsiders look into this issue. Firstly, many Chinese are victims of this system and do not agree with it. The system in the end only benefits 1) the big companies (which is partially owned by the government and other powerful people in the society), and 2) the government's control. And hence, unless mislead by some propaganda, the general Chinese citizen, especially web-citizens actually condemn this system. It is easy to collectively view the government, the rich, and the citizens as "China", but saying that this collective "China" gives no ****s about intellectually property and fairness in the market is also blatantly wrong.

While I do completely agree that this system has to go, and eventually, without this system, China and the world will be better off with more intellectual innovations, it is not such a simple issue to just enforce copyright laws. There are two issues - one is that the people in power obviously do not want copyright laws, as they are the benefactors of the lack of these laws. You might go on to use this as a point of how democracy is great, or why China needs a better government etc... but to draw a parallel, the US can be said to be in the same ****ed up state as of now - with the income inequality reaching new highs, the blatant greed shown in the financial collapse, no true solution in income inequality, to reducing the income of the top 1%, to stop 93% or something of the income recovery after 2009 going back to the top 1% has been implemented. The reason behind it is the same, the powerful (the rich/politians in US, and the officials/rich in China) are gaming the system. So, I feel it is unjust, or pretty hypocritical for people to bash on the Chinese system, when these issues are equivalent severe in other aspects in the US. To bring out a slightly controversial point, I believe outsiders are being excessively harsh on China, given the social developmental stage it is in. Read this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2013/04/26/economically-russia-is-roughly-where-the-united-states-was-in-the-1950s/. China is even behind Russia in terms of GDP per capita, it is easy to look at China and say, wow it's the second biggest economy or even soon to be first, but in terms of PER CAPITA, China is way way way behind, and is extremely poorer than the USA. Current China's Economic develop is just similar to the US in the 1940's, when US still had segregation, the UK still had highly inhumane colonies. China certainly has it's problems, but it is unfair to judge the progress and develop of China from the perspective of the Western social development stage. In fact, I must say after studying in the US, given the vast resource US has, the vast ideals US upholds, and the harsh critiques they give to other countries, I am much more disappointed with the corruption, inequality situation in the US than that of China.

I apologize for the huge digression, but generally the points I really wanted to convey is:
    [list type=decimal]
    [*] The system does only hurt foreign firms, but it's hurting Chinese people just as much
    [*] Such blatant copying is shameful. And the general population is ashamed for the firms who do it, and the government that allows it. Please don't generalize such actions from the firms and the government as the representation of the viewpoint of "China"
    [*] Finally, The foreign media needs to stop blatant lying to portrait China as some huge threats that are using unfair practices for world dominance. In reality, people are still freaking starving in China, and we are just trying hard to catch up economically to live a happy peaceful lifestyle. It is true that we're ****ed up in a lot of aspects, including copyright issues, but on the scale of things, we have a tonne of other problems to deal with, and reality is, we know it is a problem and we are trying to deal with it, but it is hard, just like the income distribution reforms needed in the US.
    [/list]

Lastly, those who think we're "intellectually inferior" so we have to copy things - all I can say is  :lol:. We had a few great modulers (e.g. rubik) from China on this forum, and if you care to look at the Chinese forums, the talent of Chinese modulers are immense. It's just too bad we don't have a good system to economically encourage innovative development and hence all the copying; certainly not due to intellectually inferiority  :roll:.

Non-politcally Viewpoints:

Taleworlds seriously needs to keep us in the loop for Bannerlord. It's been like 3 years, we're just awesome fans - and yet all the give us is a <10 min interview, and a teaser video that really could have been made in 5 hours...

The community involvement with regard to the development of Bannerlord has been horrid compared to the early days of Mount and Blade and Mount and Blade: Warband. Being a "bigger" company doesn't mean the community cannot be balanced, look at Riot Games, they're still doing a great job at keeping the community in the loop, adding player involvement into the game development.

With all these new competition coming up, I think Taleworlds should try to do more to keep the community excited and invovled...
  8. Make a RPG with the warband's engine & codding source

- Write code allowing to loot a downed enemy, and pick up stuff he carries in his inventory. Further than that, it would allow the player to pick up objects and clutter on the ground, such as food, weapons, books...

- Further than that, it would allow the player to pick up objects and clutter on the ground, such as food, weapons, books...

Scene props with triggers again I guess.

- Write code allowing to loot a downed enemy, and pick up stuff he carries in his inventory.

My best guess would be to do it this way:

Fire a trigger when enemy die, spawn a invisible scene prop - set scene prop slot to troop id. When interacting with scene prop, generate items you want through the troop id?

- If possible, set up a day/night cycle along with weather effects in real time.

Never came across this - but Im sure someone with experience can tell you if its possible/point you in the right direction.
  9. Make a RPG with the warband's engine & codding source

Reminds me of the days when Yoshiboy was around... his work was amazing...

On topic:

Basically you will have to make the scenes you want: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,163368.0.html

Then connected them using scene props/ scripts that trigger through scene props using the function: jump_to_scene                          = 1910 # (jump_to_scene,<scene_id>,<entry_no>),

10. agent_set_scripted_destination doesn't work correctly

One thing is when it's too close, it doesn't move, irrc.

Moreover, I tried using this approach for formations. The problem is when enemies come near-by they don't "break out" of the formation and generally suck at fighting.
  11. The MB scripting language needs a name

So a while back, the forums has set out on a historic mission to name the Mount and Blade scripting language...

The Results

With 13 votes, at third place, MABL - Mount and Blade Language. From Lumos!

With 18 votes, at second place, MBScript. From SheriffTheRevenger!

Lastly....

The Winner

With 22 votes, at first place is...

MONTY!!!!

From Docm30!

Congrats to the winners, as you have the bragging right of naming (or almost naming) a scripting language. :smile:.

And also thank all of you for voting and coming up with all these great names :smile:.

The Impact

So from now on, to prevent further confusion, we can tell people with pride that:

To learn how to mod Mount and Blade modding, you need to learn the Monty Scripting Language, and not... python.

The History

Click spoiler for the full history of the voting.

Something I randomly thought about when I was walking.

The Problem

The lack of a real official name for the "MB scripting language" is the main cause of confusion for a lot of new members of this forum.

A few times a month we see posts like "to learn how to script MB, you need to learn python", or "since I'm proficient with python, I can script MB"...

Some examples of these confusions:

VEGETA_DTX said:
    I've read some tutorials and I realized that I need to learn basics of Python programming language to make my own mods and to do this, but what I am asking is - are there any already made templates that includes easy import of your models?...

mr.master said:
    MB scripting is it's own language. It's not python. It's ran through the python compiler and can have some python functions, but that's about it. Also, there are no WFaS shotty scripts available. Only way is to use the warband one and make it work for WFaS.

LordMutaz said:
    hmmm.... Maybe I'll learn how to use the tools to Mod the thing...  but I'm busy with making a web site now... Whats the name of the program for Modding? Python?

MadVader said:
    @OP: it depends on what are you trying to do.
    If you make a MB mod, you must use MB's scripting language (i.e. the Module System). If you are trying to make something else, you can't use MB's scripting language, and also C++ may not be your best option, especially if you don't have a programming background.
    Find a good coder. It helps a lot.

codewright said:

Not really as code really isn't something to be represented in xml or anything similar. At least it ends up looking ugly or being not as flexible as it should be. Ok, the MB scripting language isn't really high level, but still it doesn't fit into xml nicely.

kavien said:
    ok, I am thinking of doing a little modding to practice my python coding, I'm just starting to learn so it won't be too grand.

The reason behind this, imo, is because the scripting language has no official/unofficial name.

The Solution

Us, the MB community, should come up with a name for the MB scripting language and be consistent in it's usage.

EG, we can call it the  "Armagan Language".

That way, it's so much more easy to explain stuff to people.

Instead of saying: "You don't mod MB in python, you use edit the MB scripting language in the python that is converted to text files that are interpreted by the game engine." - we can just say: "you don't mod MB in python. We use a special scripting language called the Armagan Language". Simple, and not misleading anymore.

With a proper name to call the MB scripting language, no-one will mix it up with Python.

The Names

If anyone likes this idea, come up with suggestions :smile:.

MB-related:
    The Armagan Language
    Taleworlds Language
    Greatsword Language
    etc...

Descriptive named:
    Tuple Language
    Nodebuggingtools Langauge

Troll names:
    Not-python Language
    Pythoon (Bound to cause tonnes and tonnes of confusion :smile: :grin:)

The Suggestions

So, thanks to you guys, we now have a bunch of selections for new names:

Armagawd
    Armalang
    bloodvm
    C but hurt
    Calradian
    Crapton
    CryBloodEngine
    CTG  (Carpal Tunnel Guaranteed)
    Francis
    Fridolin
    Groundhog Day on April's Fool
    Hipopotumuzus
    ICBW    (It could be worse)
    LCAGBINTMS    (lets code a gang bang in the module system)
    LLAASCSEPMPNRPL    (Low-Level Amateur Ad-hoc Scripting Crutch with Syntax Embedded in Python and Made by a Person with No Regard for Programming Language)
    Mabcode
    MABL    (Mount and Blade Language)
    MBSlang
    Monty
    Mounted Python
    MS    (short for Mount&Blade/Modding/Module/r'Magan Script/System)
    msys
    NoFloat
    Not A Language
    Not A System
    PINMS    (Python is Not the Module System)
    pyblade
    Python RIder
    rglopcode
    RIP    (Run in Python)
    Sadomazaton
    Sink
    The COMMA language
    TINP  (This is Not Python)
    Torture
    Tupleland
    Unmount
    Wolfe
    WPC    (Wannabe Python Code)

If you have something really good, you can keep suggesting it, but also state which ones you like from the list above, so we can consolidate it to a smaller list and create a poll for the final name :smile:.
  12. The MB scripting language needs a name

I like how it's almost a bell curve lol
  13. The MB scripting language needs a name

Voting closes: April 13, 2013, 07:14:20 AM

Get your votes in! It's a close one.
  14. The MB scripting language needs a name

Reminder:

Voting closes: April 13, 2013, 07:14:20 AM

:smile:)
  15. The MB scripting language needs a name

Polls up.

8 votes each (up to 1/5).